Knights of the Old Republic #43: The Reaping, Part 1 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xicer, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant

VIP
    star 3
    They were lifted one at a time -- but they were also intended to appear as a cloud of people rising across the great distance. Any one of us rooted in the muck of the comet could produce the same effect by physically throwing people who were not -- or at least, I believe they could. Zayne's thrown loose silverware on tabletops -- launching weightless individuals isn't a big step from there. (We also have not seen how well he has targeted them quite yet. If he were precision-guiding all of their independent movements after the throws, THAT would require more than one Jedi's brain...)

As Force stunts go, we saw this one as having a lot of visual impact requiring not a lot of effort. If you were on a comet throwing playing cards into an unseen hat, it'd look equally strange to the observer waiting for the cards to get there.
  2. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, I don't think it was all that special. I mean, yeah, it was special, but, it wasn't some superhuman feat of planet destroying uberness. In zero gravity all he had to do to each miner was just give them a little nudge in the right direction; he didn't have to actually lift them all across the void.
  3. DarthMRN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Vandar explicitly says he has "marginal proclivity for the Force". That "with training he may become a valuable addition" to Jedi ranks. The lack of attention couldn't have helped, but that certainly isn't the whole reason. And though he didn't get the training before, the stuff that happened to him after the Padawan massacre isn't much of an improvement, yet his powers have skyrocketed, all the while his clumsiness has regressed.

Oh yeah, there is special mojo at work here. I can't wait to see it explained, mostly because I can't think of any way it can be done without inventing something wholly new. He forms bonds easily, yet in the presence of powerful sensitives he is weak, while in the presence of non-sensitives and untrained sensitives he is a force to be reckoned with? How does that make sense? Maybe Jarael is the Chosen One (first edition) and he simply leeches off of her. :p

So, confirmed zero-G, non-guided, one at a time nudges? Alright. Thanks for appeasing my distress.

4. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Vandar underestimated him, just like every other person who comes across him. You don't need a special explanation for that.
  5. DarthMRN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    While that is certainly possible, it seems like the less likely solution -the one that would be tapped into for a retcon. Not the one used for the primary story.

1) Vadar is the Yoda of the KotOR era. Having him be mistaken about this would be the best ruse concocted by an EU author ever! That is not to say he wasn't mistaken, though, as he was. We see empirical proof of that a lot lately. But I would argue that the mistake was that he didn't recognize the special mojo Zayne has, as opposed to being just like everyone else.

2) We are after all pretty late in the history of the Jedi here. Whatever means of Force detection they operated with, should be able to show Zayne having a normal proclivity for the Force if it can consistently do so with every other Jedi. You can't blame Lucien for Zayne not matching up when he was at the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine prior to being assigned to him.

3) Haazen says Zayne has a special relationship with the Force. That they both fell through the cracks of the normal Jedi training. But that there were ways to compensate. Curiously preceded up by an interest in having Zayne join him, and a wish to explore his gift. Haazen is not the most likely person to be thinking like a regular Jedi when it comes to the Force, and thus make the sort of mistake you're suggesting.

If all the explantion that is needed is for Vandar to have made an error, and Zayne is just like every other padawan, Chekhov's Gun would jam from overuse.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.