main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN Knights of the Old Republic II

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Vesper2112, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    So... December 6, 2004 is when this comes out on the X Box. Anyone here planning on getting it? hehehe

I have to wait until February before I get a crack at it on the PC, so DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME... please? Just talk in general praise and astonishment. LOL. Looks pretty good.

2. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

thanks for telling me the date... i was wondering.

i'll likely be staking out the stores on dec 5 waiting for them to start selling it.

3. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    maybe I'll get it for Xmas.....i don't know if i can wait until then, but we'll see....

I'll be sure to try to not spoil any of it for you, Jeff....but maybe me and Jedi_Sha will have our own discussion thread for it. :)

4. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    By all means, discuss all you want. I'll stay out of that thread so I won't ruin any of the surprise. Won't be long now...

5. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    I've been playing Battlefront - Really like it - but it stinks not having the video sequences in between -
    But that's what you get for FREE.

That's next week . . .

6. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Battlefront's good. I wish it was more like Battlefield:1942 in it's game play, but this is a worthy clone. If you have the PC version, they just released a patch that includes a new Jabba's Palace map (with Gammorean Guards and a Rancor). I've only played it once (to make sure it worked). Haven't run across the Rancor yet, but I DO know you can't shoot Jabba and you can't free Han. LOL. Also, there seems to be some mods out there to where you can play as Count Dooku, Darth Vader, Luke, or Mace. It sounds cool, but they are invincible, so it gets old pretty fast. Hopefully they'll have some more maps available soon.

7. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    I've had the original KOTOR for about a year now and because of various circumstances, haven't been able to delve too much into it until the last few days or so.

Now I'm hooked. Officially. I love the story line and the characters.

I just saved Bastila and now I'm getting ready to get off Taris. I know it only gets better from here on out!

I'm hoping I can beat the game in the next few weeks so I can get KOTOR II for X-Mas. Anyway, as I progress through the original I may ask you guys for advice on how to do certain things.

8. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    ObiVol--anytime--KOTOR was like that for me: I got it, didn't really think it was going to be that great--actually we thought my hubby would like it better--and the "take turns" style of fighting about drove me mad at first (being a first person shooter kinda gal), but then I started playing one day when I was bored and *BAM* I was hooked. Such a fun game! I figured out the turn-based system pretty quick and started pounding everyone! And I agree--one of the best story lines I've seen. And it's got a great twist that I loved. :)

anytime you need advice or help, just let me know. I'm there for ya!

9. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Hey Sarka,

I just got off Taris and started my Jedi training on Dantooine. But I have a few of questions:

1) I read another KOTOR message board that said you shouldn't level up very much until after you become a Jedi. Oops. I didn't know this and on Taris I leveled up at every opportunity. Did I screw up bad?

2) I keep reading about acquiring feats and distributing skill points. How do I do this? I messed around with that one screen with skills and feats and it seems like I can't do anything with them.

3) The turn-based fighting. Do you know any tips for this? It still seems like I get hit an awful lot, even on easy fights.

Thanks, I'd appreciate your help now that I've joined the cult of KOTOR!

10. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    mwahahahahahaha! Another victim--I mean follower of the great & mighty KOTOR!! lol!!

I'm going to have to get out my game tonight (I need to brush up a little any ways since 2 is coming out in less than a week!!) to be sure about all my replies, so expect more later (and if anyone else--*poke*--Jedi_Sha--*poke*--wants to give advice, go right ahead!!). :) Feel free to disagree with me (in a nice way) if you have played it different than I. :)

Couple of questions for ya: what type of person did you start out as (& please forgive me--this is like heresy, I know--but I've played so many other games lately that I don't remember the exact KOTOR names)--soldier, etc? Have you chosen what kind of Jedi you will be? If not, let me know when you do (it helps in strategy). :) Your answers to these questions will greatly influence how easy/hard it is to battle. :)

1. First of all, I read that somewhere too, after I had already played the game through at least once--and I don't believe it. Level up & away! I can see that this theory could work to your advantage in some ways (b/c if you waited to level up as a Jedi, you'd have more force feats to level up with, so they'd all be stronger, etc, etc,) but in my several times of playing through, I never really like the option of *not* levelling up when I got the chance--I just became more strategic about it the more I played it.

2. I'll take a gander at this in the next couple of days--I don't remember having a problem doing that. I think you have the option of auto-levelling up, or doing it "manually" and I always did it manually, so I chose my own skills and stuff. Are you doing that, or letting the game do it for you? A good friend of mine always let the game do it for her (said she agreed with what the game did and "would have done it anyway"), but I like to choose my own destiny. :) Plus--don't waste your points on feats that others in your group can do (like I did on one game--I kept building up my computer usage skills--I justified it b/c I was extremely low in that area--but the robots you carry along can do all that junk for ya, so work on things you need--like strength--b/c you're gonna need to hit with all you got!).

3. One of the things that I finally learned about the turn-based fighting was to scroll through all the people in my group and assign them to different people and their best attacks--otherwise it was way too random and weak. You have this opportunity everytime the game pauses b/c an enemy is detected. And once I began that, I noticed that the game was basically having us all attack the same couple of people, while some always stayed in the back to slug grenades at us and kill us off. And I was letting that happen by not manually assigning the moves to my group. So I started leaving a person (usually whoever was weakest in hand-to-hand or whoever had the most grenades at the time, and sometimes just the person who was furthest from the attackers) to throw grenades at the farthest of the attackers and everyone else "did their thing".
    I highly recommend building up force feats such as push/whirlwind/"can't remember the top level of this feat" and lightning (if you choose a darker path). Things like that really help, as they can attack without getting too close. I LOVED whirlwind--it saved my neck about 100 times.
    Also--you need to choose upfront if you want to be light or dark, as the powers "cost" you in force usage and if you build up a bunch of dark feats/powers, but choose the light path (or vice versa), you'll drain yourself way too quick and end up depending on your physical strength in battle more than the cool powers.

I think I have typed way too much for now. :) Let me know if any of that helps! :)

11. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Hey Sarka,

Thanks for your help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but it's been hard to pull away from KOTOR.

I guess the game is automatically giving me feats and skills. When I became a Jedi, I noticed I had all these other things added to my profile. When I level up each time as a Jedi, will I choose new powers?

(BTW, I'm really glad they put the kath hounds in so I could start swinging away with my lightsaber as soon as I got it.)

As far as the turn based fighting goes, how exactly do you set what each person does? Do you go into the scripts menu?

Okay, all for now. I'm sure I'll come up with other questiions.

12. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
    I guess I need to finish the game so I can get prepared for KOTOR 2!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to try to be a "nice guy" Jedi for once... Ohhh Decisions -

Who's Joining the "DARK SIDE"?

13. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    mr night--Joining the "Dark Side" in KOTOR or KOTOR2? Done it both ways in KOTOR, and will again in KOTOR2.

I'm playing KOTOR this weekend, and I'll be sure to take notes on how to assign stuff to your people in battle, m'kay?

I'm sure Sha could answer these questions as well...maybe better...wonder where she is...? :)

14. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    OK, played some this weekend (though I must say that HALO2 was a lot of fun as well this weekend)....

Answers for ya:

1. When you see that a character has leveled up--you select them and go into the "pause" menu, and there you can select auto-level up or manual. I think you'll see the specific feats you mentioned now that you are a Jedi character. :)

2. I assigned roles on the Scripts menu, but I never really saw much from that since there's only 3 catagories for that anyway. :) When the game automatically pauses & tells you "enemey sighted", that's when you can assign what your characters do. You know you can rotate between your characters on your team in the game by pressing the black button, yes? And you know you can use the trigger buttons to scroll between people & things you can look at in the game (like corpses you can ransake)? Well, you want to utilize both of these when the game goes on the auto-pause when an enemey is sighted. You can assign actions (you know those feats/skills you've been upgrading when they level up that show up in that little box on the left bottom of your screen?--this is where you are going to tell your characters to use them) using the A or X button. Pressing the A button will make it happen immediately--and this is NOT what you want to do. You want to assign multiple actions to them. So, you want to press X as you select the different actions. I usually start out by having them activate their sheilds, use hypo-stimulants, etc. and then tell them to toss a grenade, use shock/force push, or power attacks. Once you have one character's actions que full (you can only tell them 4 I think), press the black button and do it with the next character. Remember that you want to use the trigger buttons to have each of your characters attack a different person. But be careful--if paths cross too much, your character may have trouble getting to the person you assigned them to. Anyway, that's how it's done. I didn't know how nor understand the importance of this function the first time I played through. But it makes the game so much easier when you do this. Be warned--this happened to me today--your main charcter is running ahead of your teammates--you are bound to spot enemies around a corner before your team does, and what I have just described won't be possible b/c you will only be able to assign actions to one character.
    When you just choose actions one at at time, or let your characters play with little direction, they will default to their weakest attacks for the most part, so this is definately the way to go! :)
    Hope that helps!

15. Jedi_Sha

Oct 13, 2002
    well, you answered them so well i didn't see a need to rehash the questions.

and i haven't had a computer. water got on the keyboard. NOT MY FAULT! i was walking past it and tripped. i NEVER eat or drink at my computer. *snarl* and i'd just deal without the letters a, q, and w, but one of those happens to be a letter in my password to log in to my computer so i'm screwed. royally. woohoo. now i have to get it fixed.

okay, so kotor II came out today, right? after my next class i'm going to wal mart and i can't fricking wait. after this headache with this horrible paper i need a release.

and i'll be playing it light side for awhile, probably. tell me how the dark side goes.

16. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Before you take that trip, JediSha, I think it actually comes out tomorrow. Tuesday seems to be the day when everything is released, although in one ad in the Sunday paper, a Wednesday at noon time was mentioned (why?). So you may have to wait another day. Just one more reason to play it through on the dark side first. heh heh heh...

17. Jedi_Sha

Oct 13, 2002
    you told me the 6th. :mad:

i want my kotor TODAY.

fine then, i'll just go watch boondock saints after class.

18. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Hey! At least you'll get to play it this year! I have to wait until February for the PC version. Actually, this will give me time to go back and replay KOTOR as a dark side character (which I haven't done yet). It'll be hard to do, but maybe after the first evil act, it'll become easier.

Anyway, the reviews of the game look great. Pretty much the same game play as last time, but they also added in "influence" to where your character's actions will also influence your party members. Not always to your side, however. The way the review makes it sound, you'll need to really get to know your party members so you'll be able to tell them what they want to hear to make them do what you want. Sounds really involved. Plus, it sounds like replay value is through the roof to see all the different options. Have fun!

19. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Hey Sarka -

Thanks for the helpful info! That was exactly the help I needed. Now I'm getting ready to leave Dantooine. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. (I'm a little slow sometimes.)

Jedi Sha, I think KOTOR II comes out today, on the 7th, but some stores were selling them early on Monday. Hope you get yours soon. I'll wait until I finish the original to get it unless Santa brings it to me.

KOTOR Rules!

20. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    tomorrow will be so hard....i'm going to play KOTOR 2 all night!!! I'm so excited! *does a little dance*

booyah!! this is going to be grand! :D

21. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I couldn't find my copy of KOTOR... so I went out and bought a new one! :p

It's all coming back to me now... I'm going the bad route this time around. I'm taking a guess here, but I'm thinking it'll go alot faster. heh heh heh...

22. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
    I could have had KOTOR 2 yesterday at 12:30pm -
    Then I realized we decided NOT to get an X-Box for Christmas this year :(
    Media Play - My favorite Store had it at 12:30 yesterday - I watched them put them on the shelf!
    I went ahead and pre-ordered the PC version -
    So I'll have to suffer until then - but it gives me time to complete KOTOR 1!

All stores should have them by NOON today. Or Media Play had 15 - 20 copies left yesterday around 2pm.

23. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
    Ok, Ok... NO ONE is posting what they think about the new KOTOR 2!!!

Or are you all too busy playing? Hmmmmmm

Jeff and I are drooling and waiting for the Feb PC release... But I should be done w/ KOTOR by then!

C'mon somebody give us a review!

24. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah! Tear yourselves away for a few minutes and tell us how it is! You don't have to give out any spoilers or anything, but how is it compared to the first one?

25. Jedi_Sha

Oct 13, 2002
    okay, after 35 hours and some odd minutes of playing i've finally beat kotor II. no, i haven't had a life since tuesday. or sleep. i was up until 2am playing on tues and wed night.

it was good. not as good as the first. there aren't as many character interactions and that's what i adored about the first one. but there are good plot lines and some fun bonus missions. you'll like it, well worth the $50. i hope they make a III.

now for the spoilers (highlight to read)

about the ending. if you don't wanna know skip to the next paragraph. i think i did something wrong. the ending was awful. it resolved NOTHING. just left you completely unfulfilled. it was horrid and i'm mad. i'm playing again, hopefully it'll end better this try.

a few questions : on nar shadaa how the @$%#$(%@*# do you deal with the exchange guards to allow lootra and aidaa to be reunited?

AND... (if you don't know what happened with revan skip this paragraph.)
    WHY did they make her leave carth? i'm so mad about that. there had better be some resolution in the next kotor or i'm gonna be so freaking peeved!

okay, i have to go eat dinner... more later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.