main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Knowing it's Time ~Qui-Gon/Dooku viggie~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by _Jedi_of_Destiny_, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Hello. :) This is a bit nerve wracking. I've rarely stepped into the Before the Saga forum. That's why I'm a tad nervous about posting this as I know you all have your own views and opinions on how these two should be portrayed. So, please, no rotten fruit thrown in my direction. :p I've been pressing myself to try new things and take a few baby steps out of my comfort zone, which is mainly Beyond and a few pieces in The Saga.

So here is the result of my labor. [face_praying] Hope you like it.

This is a glimpse into the Padawn/Master dynamic between Qui-Gon and Dooku. Enjoy. :)

The white pinpricks of stars spattered across the canvas of space. It was amazing to think that each little point of light was not only a star but most likely had its own system. He searched the vacuum of space, noting the position of constellations and tried to see if he could find his home planet but he couldn?t spot it. He made a note to study the navigational charts. He wanted to be able to find home no matter where he was.

He stared into the depths of infinite nothingness for a long, long time before he blinked. He held back a yawn as he turned away from the viewport. His Master wouldn?t like it if he knew he was just letting his mind roam and not thinking of the mission. His master always knew when he was not focusing but for some reason the Jedi hadn?t made mention of it.

Qui-Gon stole a glance at Dooku?s meditating form. His face was smooth and impassive, sitting in a cross-legged position on the bottom bunk of their quarters, he seemed at peace. Qui-Gon smiled inwardly. Or, maybe the reason Dooku failed to take notice of his mind wandering was because he was asleep. It would be just like his Master to say he was doing one thing and then do another. Other Jedi might not notice it but Qui-Gon knew his Master better than anyone, knew him better than even his Master would have liked. Master Dooku always pretended to have Jedi patience and Jedi serenity. Qui-Gon, his apprentice, his Padawan learner, knew that it was a lie.

It had disturbed him once to know that Jedi Master Dooku acted as if he were in complete control. Now, he realized, it didn?t matter that much. Dooku, was in fact, his own person, a loose cannon, he didn?t like following direction, going with the flow. Master Dooku liked to go in a different direction. No, Qui-Gon thought, Master Dooku was his own direction. Qui-Gon had a feeling that the Council knew all of this; that Dooku felt the Republic was turning corrupt, that many in a position of power were abusing it; out only for their own gain. The Council knew Dooku thought all of this. They chose to ignore it. Or maybe they quietly agreed with him.

And just because Dooku was a pretender meant nothing.

He could learn from him, still. Master Dooku was very powerful and wise. He had learned a lot from him.

He would be foolish not to recognize that his Master had influenced him. His friends and some others had called him on it, saying that he was a rebel and that he voiced his opinions strongly. It wasn?t a fault, Qui-Gon thought; he was just asserting his independence. A trait that would serve him well, for the call of a Jedi was a solitary path.

His Master had told him he would one day be a great Jedi Knight. Qui-Gon believed him because he could also sense whether his Master was telling the truth or not. Dooku had molded him into a great swordsman and at nineteen Qui-Gon knew he was better than most of his peers, both in swordsmanship and the more subtle aspects of the Force. He was ready for the Jedi Trials.

Qui-Gon also knew many Padawans stayed in contact with their mentors after they were made Knights. Then again, most Master/Padawan relationships were not like theirs. Dooku did not love him and he did not love Dooku. Respected him, certainly, but love, no, and it had hurt him as a boy to realize this. He was an adult now and he had come to ascertain that love and respect was not the same thing.

It would be differe

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great! Wow! Well done for one who doesn't dwell in the Before! ;)

Loved how Dooku juz came out of no where at Qui [face_laugh] Always be alert and on your best guard! Yep yep! One of Dooku's fave sayings as well as some other Jedi too! ;)

Awesome job! :D Also liked how Dooku asked if Qui would 'be there' for him in the future. :D

3. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    This was such a wonderful viggie Jedi_of_destiny_ I truly enjoyed it!
    and I hope that you will be writing more Before the saga soon! :D

No, Qui-Gon thought, Master Dooku was his own direction.

[face_laugh] I agree!

and ha ha, that was a great surprise, how Dooku came out of nowhere, and Qui thought he was asleep!

a misunderstanding came to mind following closely on it?s heal was mental instability [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

but the ending was slightly eerie, if you think about what happened to Dooku... :D Loved it!

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Congrats for being brave enough to try a new forum =D= =D=

This was very well written. It's refreshing to read a different take on the padawan/master relationship.

Great Job [face_dancing][face_dancing] [face_dancing]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Very nicely done! I'm surprised to know this isn't your regular forum! =D=

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    And just because Dooku was a pretender meant nothing.

Interesting insight [face_thinking]

Dooku did not love him and he did not love Dooku. Respected him, certainly, but love, no, and it had hurt him as a boy to realize this.

I wonder if that's how most padawan/master relationships are to avoid forming an attachment, or if t here was an unusual rift between Dooku and Qui-Gon.

the young Padawan loved flying.

Poor Obi :p

I want you to show yourself; your true self unbidden to me.

He might now like that [face_worried]

?So I can count on your support??
    Qui-Gon nodded. ?You can.?

That's an even bigger mistake :p

Very nicely written, JoD :) You're so brave to post things everywhere! Loved how you examined the barriers between Qui-Gon and Dooku. Excellent characterization of both, especially Qui-Gon. I had a feeling he wasn't sleeping when Qui-Gon thought he was :p was still neat how he attacked him out of nowhere. Shades of things to come ;)

Anyway, terrific job :D

7. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Kynstar

Oh that was great! Wow! Well done for one who doesn't dwell in the Before!

[face_blush] Thank you! That really made my day! :D

Loved how Dooku juz came out of no where at Qui Always be alert and on your best guard! Yep yep! One of Dooku's fave sayings as well as some other Jedi too!

I liked that too. Dooku can be wise, at times. ;)

Awesome job! Also liked how Dooku asked if Qui would 'be there' for him in the future.

Yeah, even then Dooku was disatisfied with the Republic. It eludes to Dooku's line in AotC to ObiWan about how Qui-Gon would have joined Dooku. :)

JOINME

This was such a wonderful viggie Jedi_of_destiny_ I truly enjoyed it!

Thanks! :D

and I hope that you will be writing more Before the saga soon!

//voice_Obi-Wan// Perhaps. //voice_Obi-Wan// :p

I agree!

:)

and ha ha, that was a great surprise, how Dooku came out of nowhere, and Qui thought he was asleep!

Maybe Qui doesn't know Dooku as well as he thinks he does. :p

but the ending was slightly eerie, if you think about what happened to Dooku... Loved it!

All intentional. :cool: Thanks for reading. :)

KELIA

Congrats for being brave enough to try a new forum

It was certainy worth the effort. :)

This was very well written. It's refreshing to read a different take on the padawan/master relationship.Great Job

Thank you! :)

VaderLVR64

Very nicely done! I'm surprised to know this isn't your regular forum!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of your writing(a quiet little lurker, :p )so that's a big compliment to me. :)

YodaKenobi

Interesting insight

o_O

I wonder if that's how most padawan/master relationships are to avoid forming an attachment, or if t here was an unusual rift between Dooku and Qui-Gon.

I don't know. Was the closeness between ObiWan and Qui normal? personally I think it varies. But to me, Dooku doesn't exactly radiate wramth and affection to me. :p

Poor Obi

:p

He might now like that

He might, at that. :)

That's an even bigger mistake

It would have been had he survived Naboo. :(

Very nicely written, JoD You're so brave to post things everywhere!

[face_blush] Thanks, Wes. :p

Loved how you examined the barriers between Qui-Gon and Dooku. Excellent characterization of both, especially Qui-Gon.

:cool:

I had a feeling he wasn't sleeping when Qui-Gon thought he was was still neat how he attacked him out of nowhere. Shades of things to come

Indeed.

Anyway, terrific job

Thanks again, Yoda. :)

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Very Very well done! You should step out of your comfort zone more often! You portrayed Qui-Gon and Dooku both very well. If you hadn't said anything, I would never have known you hadn't posted in Before ... Excellent! =D==D=

9. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Dook and Qui! Awesome! I loved the bit about Dook being a pretender. He is, isn't he? :) Great job!

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was a delightful viggie. You should have no fear of nerves on this board whatsoever. I really liked that you had the two of them having mutual respect, not love and how it causec hurt to a younger Qui-Gon. I hope you delve more into the two of them, I'd love to read more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.