main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knowles Saw Episode II -- Drudge Reports a Security Breach

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Crimson_Jedi, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    It seems like everything he reviews is either the Greatest Cosmic Event of All Time, or the Worst Piece of Crap Ever Seen.

I'll wait til I see the flick myself before I decide. :D

-------------------------------------

"I edited out the whole review, since I didn't want to read it at all myself, didn't want to take any chances. "

You go Obi Anne!

:D

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, I thought I got them all out shy Harry's impressions, but regardless, I apologize ::(

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The fact it makes TPM a better film interests me.

4. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    The review was very interesting.

I'm psyched that Harry liked it. I don't know how much stock to put in his opinion but I suppose it's better that he liked it rather than if he didn't.

5. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    He gushed over TPM originally, but backed off once the pressure from his friends got too great.

6. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I'm still glad that he loved it. I can't believe that George would care what some internet movie geek would think or write about his film, so I don't believe that it was a Lucasfilm-arranged viewing (set up to look like an illegal copy.) It does raise questions though, because obviously it would take someone high up in LFL to sneak out a full copy of the film. Hopefully whoever has a copy does not let it out to the general public so everyone on Morpheus gets access to it. That would be a tragedy.

7. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    I skimmed the AICN review and there are massive spoilers in it - I learned something that I didn't want to kow - but - it's not that big a deal - either way - do not read it...

And as for the comment that AOTC makes TPM better - I've heard that before as well - It was in another thread here - a spoiled member - Johnwilliams00 I think, was telling me the same thing - he was saying that after AOTC TPM will be much more appreciated...

8. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    .... cause AOTC is REALLY bad.

;) :p :D

9. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Guffaw! Guffaw!

10. Verteces

Verteces Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Sorry I exploded like that, but there were some HEAVY freakin' duty spoilers in that.

And thanks for editing it out.
    ;)

11. Febotu

Febotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    Can someone please explain to me the sheer burning hatred so many Star Wars fans seem to have for Harry Knowles?

12. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I generally dislike all critics all together. The only one I listen to with some measure of respect is Ebert. The other opinions just don't worth as much to me.

13. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    I dont' hate him I just don't have much respect for him.

It seems like he's always pronouncing some film as 'The Greatest Motion Picture in the History of the Universe' or denouncing soemthing as 'The Worst Piece of Crap that Ever Existed'.

The whole thing with him supposedly liking TPM after seeing it, then turning on it because the other fanboys hated Jar Jar is a bit much as well.

Plus the whole tone if his site is incredibly sophmoric.

14. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    His review or any other critics review doesn't mean squat to me. Someone else's opinion in a movie should have no effect on whether you see that movie or not. None whatsoever! If your opinion is that easily influenced then I honestly feel bad for you.

It is different if a critics opinion helps you decide to see a movie that you weren't sure if you wanted to see or not though. If you want to see a movie though you should see it no matter what others say about it.

Basically it doesn't matter to me if he loved or hated it. Afterall my family didn't really like TPM because they hated Jar Jar. My mom wanted me to get The Phantom Edit. Never would I get that piece of crap.

15. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    I'd rather hear soemone who's seen the film saw that they thought it was good - but I'll still see it no matter what they say.

I just wish he wasn't so overly enthusiastic.

16. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I don't put much value in Harry's reviews, but unfortunately, he carries a lot of weight (both figuratively and literally) in the internet world, and he has a lot of clout and a lot of followers and supporters.

If this was an intentional leak, who else but uber geek Harry Knowles to start spreading the news? If it was an accidental leak, he would still be the perfect guy to give a private screening too. He's known as the scoop man who always gets the news amazingly early.

17. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Knowles always strikes me as a bit of a Basil Fawlty type when it comes to his reviews. He's "always either crawling all over them kissing their shoes, or else he's spitting poison at them", y'know? It's either the hottest film in the history of cinema or it sucks badly enough to make "Plan Nine From Outer Space" look like a cinematic work of genius by comparison.

I haven't bothered with his site for a couple years... I'd get a better source of movie reviews from the Comic Store Guy on the Simpsons! ;)

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Does anyone happen to have his initial review of TPM. I know someone said that he gushed over it at first, but then backed off. I am just curious to read it.

I do not put much stock into reviews but we all want to hear good things about the movie and when i hear good things it makes me happy. However i seriously doubt this is the best starwars ever.

Time will tell and in two months time, i should be very familiar with this movie.

19. Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi

Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Soothsayer:

Go here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=3624

You can read his TPM review in all it's gushing glory :)

20. metalgearrx

metalgearrx Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I haven't read Harry Knowles' AOTC review, but I find it hard to put all my trust in someone who liked TPM as much as Harry did (I liked TPM too, but the film has flaws, let's be real).

What interests me are his comments that AOTC is the "best Star Wars film ever" and that AOTC makes TPM "a better film." I had always assumed the latter statement, since, after all, this is a trilogy. Nevertheless, Harry IS a Star Wars fan; but, I believe if non-SW fans and critics alike enjoy the film, then AOTC will be a smashing success.

21. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Harry hated TPM. He gave a lukewarm review at first but then changed it to a more negative one eventually.

22. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Hated TPM?

He sure liked Jar Jar. :D (see above link)

At least before the backlash hit.

Gotta love those fanboyz.

23. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    TPM was a MASTERPIECE, Jar Jar was a GREAT character.

AOTC will be AMAZING

24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    How can we be sure that he's not lying?

I haven't read that 'review', for it contains spoilers and I don't want to read those. But if we're honest, there are already enough spoilers in the official stuff like trailers and making of-s, plus the rest in the spoiler boards. Would it really be hard to write a spoiler-filled review on AOTC by now without having seen the movie?
    All that stuff about 'being the best ever' and 'making ep1 a better movie' is stuff we've heard right from the beginning. 'A reason for Jar Jar to be in the saga' - yeah right, from what we've seen he will hardly be in the movie.
    All these things don't really sound as if this guy knows more than the average spoiler reader. Remember, Weird Al conceived his song "The Saga Begins" based on fan rumours, and everything was right! All the other stuff that makes up the review like 'these characters behave like that, Anakin's behaviour is foreshadowing and Obi-Wan has more screentime in ep2' is also stuff you would either expect, read in spoilers or read in official interviews with McCallum! Only thing is the music, but I guess there are spy reports, too, and the rest might be totally made up based on the old soundtracks.

So, without looking at the review, in my opinion this is a fake. Most things he's writing have to be evident by now, and the others are estimates by a guy who wants to like the movie (well, from what I've heard here, he's got no life, right?). He's in for the publicity and if there are some wrong details we won't find out for the next two months. And then no-one will care about him, anyway.

So, after all, I might be wrong. But as I will never find out for sure, I'm going by this version, telling myself how smart I am ;) . Plus, everyone who would watch a work-in-progress-special-effects-version of THE movie in 2002 has to be incredibly stupid. Sorry if this is insulting to anyone, but that's my opinion. For me, the next Star Wars movie is an event I might have spoiled on a small scale like knowing who will be in it or what will happen in a rough outline. But I will not have this event spoiled by seeing the movie in bad quality or an unfinished version.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    And yeah, Jar Jar was great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.