main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kobe's 81

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    1 year anniversary is today

I can't believe it's been a year, time goes by so damn fast. I also can't believe that I was at work when it happend, so I missed out on Laker history.[face_frustrated]

2. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I was at work for Game 5 of the 2006 World Series. Don't whine. :p

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    if you don't believe that time goes fast, just look at sports

4. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    He didn't finish, and he should be punished for starting.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    he rapes women.

6. LordPullus

LordPullus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2006
    ^^sorry buddy but that was never proven. Anyways yeah I watched the history making feat, and it was like the basket was three times as hugh every time he took a shot. Everyone says it isn't a 100 pts like Wilt, but to put 81 up is a feat in itself. You might not like Kobe for whatever reason, but there's no way you can argue with his skill.

7. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    He kept going when she said stop, so he's a fratboy at best.

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Didn't he wind up with a settlement anyway? It's not like he was scot-free.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    just cause it wasn't proved doesn't mean he didn't rape her.

he's a rapist.

he rapes people.

10. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    You're not a Laker's fan, are you?

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rather than let the situation go (since none of us will never know what really happend), some people just rather assume guilt, for their own childlessness attitudes toward Kobe.

12. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    He's still 19 points behind Wilt's 100 and Kobe did it in a league that changed the rules to aid his style of play, where as the rules were continually changed to hamper Chamberlain's dominance.

I'd probably even put Elgin Baylor's 71 points ahead of Kobe's performance in terms of what was the most impressive.

13. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    What? No, Chamberlain played in a much faster paced era(223 in wilts game, 164 in Kobe's). Wilt took 17 more shots, 12 more free throw attempts. And Kobe was in a real game- his team trailed by 18, while Wilt's team had a comfortable lead. Bryant also sat out six minutes, whereas Wilt played all 48.

I'm not taking Wilt's down, but Kobe's was just as impressive, at least to me.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What? No, Chamberlain played in a much faster paced era(223 in wilts game, 164 in Kobe's). Wilt took 17 more shots, 12 more free throw attempts. And Kobe was in a real game- his team trailed by 18, while Wilt's team had a comfortable lead. Bryant also sat out six minutes, whereas Wilt played all 48.

I'm not taking Wilt's down, but Kobe's was just as impressive, at least to me.

Agreed. I'd put Kobe's 81 right up there with Wilt.

15. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    lol. The Lakers got Lebroanwned las night :)

16. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    Even as a huge LeBron James fan, what the heck is Lebroanwned?

17. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Yeah, seriously. I expected better from you, Athena. Couldn't you just do 'Lebrowned?'

18. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    :( sorry, I was typing fast.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    'LeBrowned' sounds obscene. :p

20. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Don't even give me that noise. I'm not saying it started out as rape, but I really do think she told him to stop, and he did not comply. Sorry if that translates to "she was asking for it" to any of you guys, but hell, no means no.

She settled, and she did it mostly to get out of the media spotlight. She was getting death threats and lived with that, even though she was in the right. There's nothing that can be said that will make me see the situation any differently. If you pay off a woman because she's making accusations, than the accusations are probably warranted and true.

21. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Alternately, you could pay off a woman because these allegations and a trial would further wreck your image and cost you millions and millions in endorsement deals.

Anyways, I do think it's ridiculous to bring up that trial every single time Kobe is mentioned. This thread was solely about his 81 points and his skills as a player- whether or not you think he is the scum of the earth is irrelevant.

22. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Ok, he's a selfish ballhog that drove his coach and arguably the best center in NBA history away from his team because of his "me first" attitude, and his arrogance. Better?

23. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    At least it is a criticism of his game, so yes, it is.

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002

And yet Kobe is allowed to travel, hand checking is illegal, and there's a three point shot. Of course Chamberlain took more shots, he scored 19 more points and never took a 3 point shot. He was never any good at FTs, but he was constantly fouled due to his dominance and poor FT shooting ability (although I believe he did quite well at the stripe that particualr night).

I'm not trying to bring Kobe down, but his 81 just isn't as impressive due to rule changes made to enhance the guard play in the league. Take Wilt out of it, was it easier for Kobe to score his 81 with the various rule changes in place or for Elgin Baylor to score 71?

An objective look at the issue would place both Baylor's and Chamberlain's point totals as far more impressive than Kobe's.

25. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002

Sorry for the double post, but did you seriously just allude to Shaq as being arguably the best center in NBA history? I'll admit that Kobe drove Phil and Shaq away, but there's a solid 4 centers I'd take at the prime of their careers waaay ahead of Shaq.

Chamberlain, Kareem, Arvydas Sabonis (too bad he wasn't born 20 years later),and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Those guys either had far more talent, far superior statistics, or dominated Shaq (Hakeem) while both were in their prime. Especially considering the way Wilt and Sabonis could run the floor, he would spend half the game on the bench. It's really not fair to compare Shaq to the talent of any of those four players...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.