main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Kong is King

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by kahli, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I feel like dressing in a monkey costume, and climbing a building with a barbie doll.

2. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Cool, can I throw paper planes at you?

3. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Sure dude.

Epic!

4. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Saw said movie. Enjoyed it a lot. Read on this thread that it was a long movie, so I couldn't keep that out of my head when watching it, looking for bits to cut out. I'm guessing there might have been more with Jimmy, I mean he didn't die, being rescued by Brody's character in the water.

Jack Black was great! And with that grin he should be playing the Joker in a Batman movie, even if his body shape is better suited to Penguin.

Watts was also great! Remember all of her acting with Kong was to open space, marker poles, or being 'held' in a blue/green screen hand. Good acting in that regard. Better blue/green screen acting that RotS? Hmm... hard to say.

Good to see Jackson's love of Vintage cars on show. And Magnus Darcrider, your comment about the origins of the natives is spot on! =D= (An explanation may be required..)

5. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Finally saw it yesterday...

I can't find a single thing wrong with the movie. Everything was utterly brilliant!
    My favourite part was also a part that I hated and that was when Kong was on the ice with Ann... I hated it because it was Kong's first true moment of happiness and it was right before his inevitable fall.

6. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I feel like I'm the last one on the planet to not have seen Kong yet!! And from all the ravings of people I trust and respect over the past weekend, gosh, even I am swayed. Must go see.

I'm looking at some time this week when I have a spare 3 hours...hmmmm..and when will that be? :)

Anyone keen to go back for 2nds or thirds?

How does this rate in your favourite/great movies lists?

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    You're not the only one, Kahlan, I haven't seen it yet either. Haven't had the time, though based on what people are saying here, I'm looking forward to it. I was going to pop off to check it out sometime early this week, but if people around here are looking at getting together for a repeat screening, I may well be up for that.

8. MajorClod

MajorClod Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    Just got home from seeing it, it was brilliant. Sure it might have been a bit long, blah blah blah, but it was one awesome ride. You can tell Jackson is in love with his source material, this movie is all about him letting loose, indulging in everything he can. Kong himself was spectacular, I was completely sold. The V-Rex fight was brilliant, intense, just awesome. Weta Digital certainly know their stuff, i was constantly on the edge of my seat!

The only downside of the night were a bunch of 16-18yr old dickheads sitting in the theatre, constantly getting up and going to talk to their friends, running out of the cinema, laughing etc... The rest of the audience was getting pissed off. As Kong meets his end, one of them was actually laughing... ****.

Definately going to see again, preferrably with a better audience.

9. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I hate that crap man!

Stupid teeny boppers! Thay should all die.
    Why pay 15 bucks to see a movie hat you're gonna stuff around in and ruin, when you can rent it for $5 bucks.

I know Sith Magician would kill me, (I am very anti-piracy) I would prefer if those morons would get a dodgy pirate copy and just watch it at home....

And then get fined![face_laugh]

10. MajorClod

MajorClod Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    Yeah it was ridiculous. It's not like they were there for the action or anything. I mean, during stuff like the V-Rex fight and the empire state building, they were walking out of the cinema and coming back in etc... It didn't make sense, why bother staying!

11. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I went to a LOTR movie marathon and there was a group of dumb pink clad 13 year old girls. (the giggling type *shudders*)

they did the same, walking in and out, climbing all over the chairs and laughing and talking the WHOLE time.

I was thinking why are you here? It's not for the "boys" becaue everyone here was a hardcore geek and hated their kind!

After yelling at them a bunch of times, we ended up piffing half a sprite at them and they left during the start of Return of the King.

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it. I had annoying chatty people in my cinema too. No doubt they went in expecting a completely different kind of movie, and so either chatted or laughed during the poignient scenes, which really pissed me off. And they weren't even kids or teenagers or anything, it was mainly this loud-mouthed woman at least 10 years older than me. Grrr. But it didn't spoil the movie, and I really enjoyed it. You walk out feeling really...sobered, and thoughtful, you know?

13. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    This is the great thing about seeing movies in Japan - Japanese people (young and old) respect movies so much that they are completely silent throughout the entire movie (a little strange in comedies but not that many show here - the Western humour doesn't translate well). They usually applaud at the end to show their appreciation.

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, I've heard that about Japan. Man, that must be nice.

15. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    It's a cultural thing me thinks, I know a few producers over the years have paniced thinking their films were flopping due to the lack of reaction in the crowd...

Silly Exect's :p

16. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Actually yeah there were a Japanese couple in front of me for Narnia and they were relaly respectful and quiet and waited til the end to leave, unlike the other people just down from them...Older lady and her grown up son, who spoke in Polish or something ALL the way through the film. Grrrr.

Was considering a Kong viewing tonight maybe, or maybe just Narnia again. OKAY I should really see the gorilla movie.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Ugh, what IS it about people these days talking in movies? When I saw Harry Potter for the second time I was sitting 2 seats along from a mob of teenage girls who wouldn't shut up, and when I saw Kong I was 2 rows down from the obnoxious woman I mentioned. Both times I had to ask them to shut the hell up, and even then they didn't completely do so. God, people are so RUDE. If people talk when I see Narnia later this week, I'm going to get seriously pissed off.

18. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Bring guns. Lots of guns.

Or you could just yell at them. [face_plain]

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Okay..going to see Kong tonight but at Strathpine..cause it's close to me and I can :)

Goob and G are coming too, so if anyone gets this before and knows the way, we'll be seeing the 830 session

:)

20. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Okay, so I've finally seen it! and can post my thoughts.
    I'll be honest as always :)

I liked it, was thoroughly entertained, and didn't notice it's length. I don't think it lost me at any point, but it just didn't totally grab me either. I guess I just couldn't suspend my disbelief to an appriopriate level. Which is odd, because I'm usually great at doing that.

I guess I'm disappointed that I'm not in love with it. I felt that everyone coped far too well with what they found on the island, and stayed way longer than people would under the circumstances. I just kept thinking..for goodness sake, just leave!, but then again, that's one of the things I hate about horror movies..people's stupidity/bravery.

And as much as I loved Kong as a character... perhaps the most depth of any character in the movie( besides jack, who I did actually love )... I just couldn't connect to him. I mean I've seen stories about people loving their pets or whatever, and I do cry bucketloads whenever I see Project x, so what's wrong with me. Maybe because I'd seen him kill so many people and Ann's just like.."oh the poor monkey" ( sorry APE). ANd he wanted to kill Jack, and I liked Jack. Poor Jack. And then he lets Ann hug him at the end, when she all but got him killed on her behalf becasue of a stupid monkey! APE!

LOL anyway, I'm just overanalysing as I do, and felt like explaining to myself why I didn't love this film how I wanted to.

I did really like lots about it and it's still like my third or fourth favourite film this year.

Throw things now :)

21. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I'm not sure if you're supposed to relate to Kong... he's still a monster. I just feel sorry for him in the same way that I feel sorry for the T-Rex in Lost World;

Magnificent creatures that are turned into monsters by idiots taking them out of their natural habitat and then killed/subdued for their trouble!

22. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    the classic horror romance also! Black get back to singing and to supporting roles! Jackson i stab you yes? Make Bad Taste 2!!

23. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Huh?

24. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    the film really is a classical Hollywood horror romance in the vain of Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mummy etc. The rest speaks for itself

25. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I was more confused by the whole "Jackson, I stab you yes" line...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.