main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KoRn

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sith1137, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    Hey everyone, here i guess we can discuss korn and their new CD comes out tuesday.

Whos exited?!!? i sure am

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Try the JCC :).

3. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    ok ill change the subject then.

do you like the style in the lyrics that they write. it depicts some serious stuff in there that jon davis(lead singer) has gone through. do you like this or not?

4. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Yes, but it isn't a place for a fan club about the band or a countdown thread for a CD.

Do you have something to discuss about the band and their impact on culture and society? If not, then this would do best in the JCC.

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Anything off of "Korn" and "Life is Peachy" is great... I feel he lost his edge on the more recent 3 albums, and went for more of a commercial stance with lyrics (save a few exceptions like "Pretty" and "Dirty"). Unfortunately, their style is now so commercialized and they're trying to revert to their older sound, and they're not what I liked about them. I didn't care for Follow the Leader, though I liked Issues more. And I refuse to even give the new CD a listen with their new song.

Still though, I feel this topic is on the border of this forum/JCC...

--edit: Err.. what Lord Bane said :)

6. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    OK Darth Bane. I actually didnt mean to be a fan club or a countdown.

How have they influence other bands in todays music scene and on our culture and society? they were one of the first bands to have some pretty low tuned guitars.

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    They did tune low, but Steve Vai was one of the first to use a low 7th string.

And Korn took a lot of influence from the Deftones, though Korn's lyrics and music is much, much darker.

Honestly, I feel that the popularity of Korn allowed a lot of other bands to rise... such as Staind, Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne and Slipknot.

8. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    ya they did take more influence from the deftones. but they arent as big, but they are a very cool band. im sure they influenced many other bands.

9. Allfi-Verizons

Allfi-Verizons Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    There's really nothing new with Korn, their whole genre of music is just getting really old, really quick. I dunno, maybe they'll redeem themselves on Tuesday... ;)

10. JediTre11

JediTre11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    The best part about KoRn and probably what will affect all bands looking to go hard is the style of lyrics. For example:

you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

n dot chi cot n dot rrr ah
    dot dot ki o ma gri a dot
    dot ers a pa ta ko

some play to we
    a dot think up a bite rah
    sometimes you might
    ooh ooh rrrh
    we thought we might

dot be mer hot something
    what are you ma ah
    do bro what are mines is
    dot ooh ooh
    rot in dot n bite
    ooh na na er na he
    woo hoo rah
    ate no hoo dot er ha
    ya dot im wer rah

Twist

I'm sure we all thought "What the heck?" the first time we heard it. But what other band did this? I don't think anyone has, at least not at this level of scat. I'd love to hear some bands try this. Whoever does "The Sickness" just doesn't seem to get it right.

11. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    disturbed does the "sickness" i believe. and thats the first time ive heard something like that from a band. I love that song.

also its really interesting they put in the bagpipes. puts and cool twist onto a song.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    For those who want to hear more from KoRn - it may help foster some further discussion here - I believe their webcast of the Album Launch Concert is about to begin;

http://www.mtv.com/music/korn_webcast/

13. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    they suck
    KoRn=Poison or whitsnake or Ratt for that matter.
    Rap metal is to the late 90's and 00's what Hair metal was to the late 80's and early 90's
    I can't wait untill all the (Flaw,Soulfly, Korn,Limpbizkit, etc etc nu-metal crap) is over and done with.

14. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    jp3 i just watched it. it was cool

darthdradus, i respect your opinion. care to enlighten us more?

15. JediKnight_DanKenobi

JediKnight_DanKenobi Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    Dart Dradus i aggree all this nu-metal is crap but remeber if it wasnt 4 nu-metal an punk rock no one would get into the heavy stuff like metallica an Pantera who <edited> rule!

16. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Korn are not crappy rap nu-metal.
    THEY started that for better or for worse.
    Either way Korn discuss serious and disturbing issues in their songs and dont worry about it being pretty.
    It helps if you are a chronic depressive.

BTW I have the new album 'Untouchables' and its very good, heaviest guitars theyve ever done and some of the songs (hollow life,thoughtless,alone I break) are sopme of their best stuff.
    It doesnt sound like any of the others though.

17. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Korn's new album has a nice touch to it. Shows that they've branched out from their stereotype and proven themselves. Issues and Follow the Leader were commercial successes. For some reason, I don't think this will be as big as a hit, but it will affect a lot of guitarists and producers. The CD is nearly perfectly produced and some of the new-style effects on the CD will inspire more people to pick up the guitar and start bands.

18. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    >>Dart Dradus i aggree all this nu-metal is crap but remeber if it wasnt 4 nu-metal an punk rock no one would get into the heavy stuff like metallica an Pantera who <edited> rule!<<

1. Just because you do not like it doesn't mean it "sucks" or is crap.

2. Nu Metal has become a bogus term, what does System of a Down have in common with KoRn??

3. Punk Rock? Something wrong with punk rock? I'm guessing you're talking about Blink 182 and the likes here because the real punk rock isn't even popular anymore. (they were only popular at the end of the 70's anyway..) Blink isn't punk.

And I don't even like KoRn all that much.

BTW, I took an effort to listen to "Follow The Leader" today. (it's been a long time since I last listend to Korn.) One thing that I noticed was how repetative the riffs were, I must have heard the same riff used in 3 different songs. =/

Korn and colaborations don't mix BTW.

19. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    Follow the Leader isnt my fave. i only like a few songs on there.

and your right, GAP: Korn and collaborations dont mix. unless its Wicked. thats my favorite collaboration.

20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    It has alot of weak moment but a few moments that are worth listening to. (ex: The intro to "Justin" that intro is pretty good, unfortunatly, the song becomes mediocre as soon as the heavy guitars come in. bleh)

21. JediKnight_DanKenobi

JediKnight_DanKenobi Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    GrandAdmiralPelleaon i know thats just my opinion thats why i posted it to give my opinion, i'm not trying to say this is how it is i'm just sayin in my veiw nu-metal is crap an i don't like it

22. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Nu Metal is a buzz term, Soad, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, these groups have next to nothing in common.

I don't listen to nu metal but I respect some of the artists.

23. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Korn's new cd is great. It is vastly different from anything they have done yet and it is kinda gutsy. Lots of poeple will hate this cd i promise ya that!

And by the by, Korn is not rap metal. Only people who nothing about them say that.

24. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Yes, theyre not rap-rock at all.
    And yes they do have repetitive riffs but thats their style.
    I think Follow the Leader is overated but I'm suprised the amount of people who think Issues is commercial, I love it like a son.
    As you can probably tell I'll defend Korn no matter what even if I'm entirely wrong.

25. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.