main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KoRn

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sith1137, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, I like Issues more then Follow The Leader. I don't really get what people mean when they say that Issues was too commercial, Follow The Leader probably has more "hit" songs on it.

2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    i agree GAP. issues is my fave next to Untouchables.i only like a few songs on FTL.

3. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    Sure I'll enlighten you more Korn is Mallcore. There first work is very impressive Korn Korn is a sick album. And no im not one of those "holier then thow undeground type guys".
    I know my music and basicly they have not progressed and MTV found them and bascily pimped them out into the be all and end all of music. And that's just not true, thier not. They spawned many crappy clones of rap rock. For whoever said that Limpbiszkit and Korn have nothing in common.. I can't say anything to you... or else I would get banned but seriously look at the way the music is written and designed .. it's all Ross Robinson and his roadrunner cronies. They in effect preduced a sound that was cathcy and MTV exploited it.
    Thier is so much more to music then what you see on TV. I just wish MTV would give much more "genre bands" a push and actualy let to you see what is out there and not what they want to show you. Well I can only hope that "Shadowsfall" comes to M2 then maybe some of you "ball wearing hot topic" shoping folks" can listen to some good music. (Well written, well put together and hard to play). Korn is nothing more then a t-shirt. In few years you'll see all these Rap-Metal groups on Vh1 specials like they do for hiar bands.

"Well you can call me Sensei" - Clutch

4. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Sorry, you do not need to educate me on good groups. Unless you can tell me more interesting groups then Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Sonic Youth, Arab on the Radar, Pussy Galore, The Roots, Justice System, The Pat Metheny Group, eh, I could go on listing but that would be pretty pointless.

Korn has nothing in common with Limp Bizkit as far as "sound" goes, believe me. The only thing they have in common is a) that Korn helped Limp Bizkit get big. (they recently apologized for that ...lol) b) that they both talk about "Teenage Angs" but so did Nirvana, you think Nirvana and Limp Bizkit are alike?

5. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    what GAP said

6. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    i loved self-entitled and life is peachy. now i have that out of the way. i like how korn helped pave the way for angst rock. undeniably, they changed teen music. whoever says korn invented rapcore does not know what they are taking about. that would be rage against the machine(they did it good though ;) ) what korn did is introduce a new generation of hatred for kids. without korn, crappy bands like mudvayne, slipknot, and limp bizkit would not have hit big.

when follow the leader came out, i lost all respect for the band. IMO, they wanted to be what mtv wanted them to be. they went from a solid, angry rock band to duets with ice cube and fred durst. it's a shame mtv gave me the opinion that korn is nothing but money-hungry sellouts, but that is what happened. i will give untouchables a chance, because i am not closed-minded like others. i sincerely hope it is what you guys are saying.

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    RATM did not invent rap-rock. It started with a collaboration between Aerosmith and Run DMC, then Anthrax made a whole Rap/Rock (metal) album...

8. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    well RATM helped to further it. and it still kicks arse. too bad they broke up.

but korn did allow others to put out music with hatred in it. most bands just wrote about drugs and sex and maybe a few others.
    korn did that exept in more depth and also Jon wrote about a ****** child hood. plus anger for any of those.

9. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Nah, Nirvana also had messages like that but Korn just put it more direct.

10. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I cannot beleive that anyone can compare Limp Bizkit with Korn!
    Their styles are COMPLETLY different!
    Personally I like early LB and SOME of the newer stuff.
    However theyre not korn.
    I think the majority of Follow the Leaders ok and some songs excellent. Every band along the way has their 'commercial' album even greats like Metallica.
    Give them a break, after FTL there was the very angst 'issues' and now 'Untouchables' is totally different, its old Korn but smoother with a new groove.
    They are good! You must see!

11. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    "Sorry, you do not need to educate me on good groups. Unless you can tell me more interesting groups then Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Sonic Youth, Arab on the Radar, Pussy Galore, The Roots, Justice System, The Pat Metheny Group, "

Wow, gee I guess I'm beat .. Korn must be good now.

Im sorry Korn is Highly overrated and thier new album is not that great the songs are simplistic and the whole "de tuning" of music in gereral is nothing more then a fad.
    In the Mid 90's Ross Robinson capitalized on a sound and many bands on Road Runner since have treid to copy. Plain and simple that is a trend.
    And Secondly I was not tying to be a smartass just reacting to your "Enlighten me " qoute. If you want to play the " What I listen to is better game" than we can. A wise person once said just becasue a riff is fast or hewavy sounding does not make it good.
    Basicly what I am saying is that Korn does not deserve the praise because they have not progressed into anything different from thier first album. They have basicly stuck to the formulaic pattern of many nu-metal Bands.
    Have you looked at mainstream Music magazines.. all thay talk about is Korn this and Korn that. They are hyped to be the epitome of what music should sound like. That is a shame. I mean serioiusly 12 Stones, Flaw, Drowning Pool....Your going to tell me that Korns' popularity and over hyped "sound" did not help in getting these "Bands" contracts. Korn has in effect created a Frankenstein and it's about time we have something new in the music scene.
    Oh by the way I will name a few more interesting groups to your "list" oh I dunno.. let's try Meshuggah, Opeth, At the Gates. Just casue you listen to Power metal, does not make you the Metal King either.
    In short Korn's sound is highly overrated and I think that personaly thier are much better bands out there that could use some of Korn's spotlight.

P.S. Im not trying to say I know more then you but, you sure some off that way. MY qualm is not with you but with the mainstream media and thier obession with Korn.

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Im sorry Korn is Highly overrated and thier new album is not that great the songs are simplistic and the whole "de tuning" of music in gereral is nothing more then a fad.
    In the Mid 90's Ross Robinson capitalized on a sound and many bands on Road Runner since have treid to copy. Plain and simple that is a trend.

Actually, I don't really like Korn that much, I don't even listen to them regulary but I don't like people coming in and dissing a band because they listen to "better" music. I deal with enough music snobs already online. The whole de-tuning is nothing more then a fad? Sure, I mean, it's not like even good bands like Slayer and Dream Theater have used it occasionaly, oh wait, they have. 2. Korn might not be the end all and be all of music, (I agree) but I don't listen to what mainstream says, I don't copy their opinion of a band. I like some things Korn has done, they were original atleast, it's true that they haven't progressed much from their first album but that doesn't make them a bad band by definition.

And Secondly I was not tying to be a smartass just reacting to your "Enlighten me " qoute. If you want to play the " What I listen to is better game" than we can. A wise person once said just becasue a riff is fast or hewavy sounding does not make it good.

Actually, I did not say "what I listen to is better", that was you, I was saying that you shouldn't say that because my music taste is atleast as good as yours. and your right, just because a riff is fast or heavy sounding doesn't make it good. Did I say so? I don't think so.

Basicly what I am saying is that Korn does not deserve the praise because they have not progressed into anything different from thier first album. They have basicly stuck to the formulaic pattern of many nu-metal Bands.

The difference being that they created the formula. It's not their fault that everybody copy's them. I don't even like Nu Metal, Korn is decent, SOAD is pretty talented as is Mudvayne, for the rest...I can't really stand any of it.

Have you looked at mainstream Music magazines.. all thay talk about is Korn this and Korn that. They are hyped to be the epitome of what music should sound like. That is a shame. I mean serioiusly 12 Stones, Flaw, Drowning Pool....Your going to tell me that Korns' popularity and over hyped "sound" did not help in getting these "Bands" contracts. Korn has in effect created a Frankenstein and it's about time we have something new in the music scene.
    Oh by the way I will name a few more interesting groups to your "list" oh I dunno.. let's try Meshuggah, Opeth, At the Gates. Just casue you listen to Power metal, does not make you the Metal King either.
    In short Korn's sound is highly overrated and I think that personaly thier are much better bands out there that could use some of Korn's spotlight.

A) I didn't even list that many Metal groups, Pat Metheny is a pretty well known Jazz Guitarist.

b) Opeth = good, but their singer, ugh, I don't like heavy metal voices.

Meshuggah, I don't like them.

At the Gates, Heard of them, haven't heard them.

Check out Spastic Ink if you want a group that makes mindblowing music, their second album should be released pretty soon, their first is out of print though, so you should download it, start with "To Counter & Groove in E-minor".

c) Mainstream Media, I don't listen to them, I don't read them because I will only end up being pissed. Yes, Korn's sound helped those people to a deal but it isn't them that is signing the bands, it's the record companies, they're the Motley Crüe of Nu Metal I suppose, all the rest are Whitsnakes etc.

P.S. Im not trying to say I know more then you but, you sure some off that way. MY qualm is not with you but with the mainstream media and thier obession with Korn.

I hope you aren't, I wouldn't like to start a music snob fight :p .

Mainstream media sucks, you're better of checking underground media for good bands. Face it, mainstream will always be 90% crap. There was crap music in the 50,

13. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
  14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
  15. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
  16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    KoRn=KrAp

17. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    KoRn=KrAp

Seriously, folks. There is a message written on the cover of the Type O Negative album "October Rust" that says it all for bands like Korn, Bizkit, and such...

"Do not mistake lack of talent for genius."

18. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    who says you need to have genious to be good and influential

(although i do agree on the limp bizkit thing)

19. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Why is it crap? You do not like it so it's crap. Boy that's an interesting way to look at music. I don't like Mozart, he must be crap.

::rolleyes::

20. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    How can you compare Mozart to Bizkit? There is no comparison. If not for Mozart...every band you like wouldn't exist, Palleon. Think up a better argument.

21. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    hahah, nice one, a) I wasn't defending Bizkit, I was talking about your Korn part. Korn is crap because you don't like them. That's the same thing as me saying "hey Mozart is crap because I don't like his music." (I do like his music, it's an EXAMPLE.)

b) Actually, yes they would, Rock Music, Blues etc were influenced by Afrikan music, tribal music etc. Mozart had little/nothing to do with it. Exept for the Prog bands, your right there.

22. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Its perfectly OK for anyone to like Korn. I personally think they are crap because Ive been a musician for 14 years and its silly to be that famous and not have any real musical talent.

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Then what do you think about Nirvana?

"it seem silly".

Mainstream is never fair. They don't choose you on your instrumental ability but on the ability to make songs. Have you ever heard Sonic Youth? Or the Ramones?

Instrumental talent and musical talent are 2 different things.

Remember, this is coming from somebody who doesn't even like Korn all that much.

24. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    well i just saw the new video for "thoughtless"

wow. did you see all the mortified looks on all the audiences faces after it!! hilarious. it was pretty cool though.

i havent seen a video like that, ever. one of their best. but not the best

25. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    anyone else wanna contribute?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.