main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 2: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jhc36, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    hey guys, have you seen the home page of TF.N?? talking about KOTOR 2 and when it would come out. late '04 or early '05...and introducing a wholo new set of characters.

Added Game Title
    (Now: Official Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (KOTOR 2) Discussion Thread)
    Edited title to follow suit with other KOTOR2 threads
    (Now: KOTOR 2: Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS SPOILERS)

2. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Super! Now Bioware just needs to drop that tired D&D-esque system and inject some more variety so we're not speaking to the same Twi'lek throughout 80% of the game. And I would hope they put a whole lot more time and effort into squashing bugs this time around.

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Every other thing the Twi'leks would say sounded like E chu ta. I just had to laugh.

4. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    It was E chu ta [face_plain] *very serious*

5. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    I know...but I threw that sounded like in there just in case some crazy person tries to dispute my power

6. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Will it be realesed on PC?

7. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    "The November issue of the Official XBox Magazine has a brief mentioning of a KOTOR sequel in the works, as well. Bioware probably won't officially announce this until they have something nice to show off (like a trailer). Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 (fictional name) has been greenlighted with the potential for a late 2004 or early 2005 release. Rumor has it that the universe will jump far enough forward in time to help introduce a new batch of characters"

this is the excerpt from the main page.

8. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    FOund this on IGN.com, and I know I am not the only one salivating over this........

KOTOR 2
    No one can deny the significance of having Knights of the Old Republic exclusively (on consoles anyways) available for the Xbox. Not only is it one of the only RPGs for the big black behemoth, but it's one of the best RPGs to come out in recent memory on any console. And then there's the sales numbers. The game has not only experienced incredible sales, to the tune of 600,000 units and counting, but it's also lead to increased Xbox sales, however minor. System-selling quality indeed.

A logical action to take after such success is to start planning the game's successor, and apparently, KOTOR 2 is under development. A few sources have already reported that the sequel has been greenlighted for a late 2004 or early 2005 release, and that the game's storyline - which is to take place many years after KOTOR's --will include a completely new cast of characters. But what few people are aware of is that the game is not being developed internally at BioWare, but in Orange County at Obsidian Entertainment. (At least that's what we hear.)

What? Who's this Obsidian Entertainment? Never heard of them? Well, search back through the files in your skull and you may remember an announcement made by BioWare back in August. The company announced a commitment to collaborate on future PC and console titles with Obsidian. Here's a quick refresher:

"BioWare is currently in the fortunate position of having more attractive looking opportunities on the table than we're capable of implementing while staying true to our fans' expectations of a quality gaming experience. We think several of these opportunities have the potential for critical and commercial success and are interested in exploring ways in which BioWare can expand its capacity to bring these projects to market," said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.
    "BioWare is interested in establishing relationships with credible development studios that have the desire and capability to implement projects consistent with our quality expectations. Obsidian represents a perfect example of this strategy. We're very pleased to have the chance to work with teams which have a demonstrated track record of developing world class titles," commented Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.

"A collaboration with BioWare gives Obsidian the opportunity to explore development projects on established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community. This is an excellent opportunity for a new studio looking to make an immediate impact in the market," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

For BioWare - a company with a very respectable track record - to hand over the next KOTOR game to another company, it would have to trust them unquestionably. Fortunately for Obsidian, BioWare does. Founded by five industry veterans who've worked on a number of well-known games including Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, MDK 2 and Planescape: Torment, BioWare has every reason to trust them, especially considering the number of BioWare titles in the development studio's resume.

Also indicative of the studio's work on KOTOR 2 is the quote from Urquhart where he mentions that Obisidian will be working on "?established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community," and the company's website where it mentions that "Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on an unannounced role-playing game for PC and console systems." Though both BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment have only responded with "no comments," and have not confirmed nor denied this rumor, all clues point to Obsidian being the developer.

My two cents...First I hope they take their time with this, come up with a masterful plot line like they did last time, and just really outdo themselves the way they did last time.

9. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I hope KOTOR II is made into a MMORPG for Xbox LIVE! Then ill get this... I didnt enjoy KOTOR.

<< Not an RPG fan, just got it because it was SWs >>

10. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    dang dude...i love kotor....play it religiously.... hope the second will be just as good.

11. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Will it be on PC?

12. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    not that i know of, it'll start on xbox.

13. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Microsoft would be stupid to let this game slip from them. By all means, they should maintain this on the X-Box console.

I just want them to go slow, take their time in developing KOTOR2, making it every bit a masterpiece as the first one was.

14. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    i agree. i hate seeing sequels come out too early. i hope it's a whole different story line, and new alien species.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > i hope it's a whole different story line

"and that the game's storyline - which is to take place many years after KOTOR's --will include a completely new cast of characters".

Dare say it will be.

16. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Which conflict/period will the new game be set in? Any clues? Ideas?

17. ThrawnVader1

ThrawnVader1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    No, I don't think any clues other than a setting during the Old Republic have been given in regards to the new timeframe. Meh, I'd say put it around 2000 or 1000 years before Episode I and chronicle the events leading up to/and the Battle of Ruusan (see Pg. 18 in the Essential Chronology). Then, you could fight Durge (not that I particularly like him) 8-} .

18. FakeHandLuke

FakeHandLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2001
    I just want them to go slow, take their time in developing KOTOR2, making it every bit a masterpiece as the first one was.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think the most important thing is to make sure they have a story that is just as engaging as the original.
    Although, if they use the same basic engine, it should take less time to create the game as some of the wok will already be done.

And I do not think they could make it into an mmorpg - I just do not see how you can have such an exquisetly structured, Aristotilean style plot in a multiplayer environment.

And as popular as star wars is, I am not sure there is enough of a market to sustain two mmorpg in the same universe despite the time difference

19. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    they should certainly use the same engine with improvemetns wherever they can. THey should certainly make the Turret Gunner and Swoop Racing and the Paazak parts of the game and either change it or do something to it, as I feel the odds of 'you' being a champion Swoop Racer in two straight games a stretch.

Below is what Obi-Wan McCartney PM'd me when a certain major twist takes part at a certain part in the game....I am sure you all know what part I am talking about...

I swear to god you told me this before, but I totally forgot about it. It was just like fight club, I swear, this movie borrows it's stuff fro X-Files, Star Wars, Star Trek, and this twist is like Fight Club/Total Recall.

I thought that was one of the greatest parts of the game, that particular twist that he PMD' me in response to. And I had no problem with the people at BioWare 'borrowing' from Total Recall and Fight Club and so on for the game; I thought it was in the grandest traditions of the Classic Trilogy, where George Lucas 'borrowed' from Wizard of Oz and the Kurosawa films to make his movie.

So, I just want more then anything, I want the folks at BioWare and whomever they subcontract out to read, to watch all manners of movies, to brainstorm and come up with some sort of masterpiece storyline.

ANd I agree, that as much as I loved Bastila and Company, that the best thing they could do is move on with a completely fresh and new cast and story. I got no problem with your character being told the story of the redemption of Revan the same way your character learned of Qel-Drohma and Sunrider and company in KOTOR.

I also think there should be an emphasis away from the pure Jedi mode. One of the problems I have with the new Prequel Trilogy is the overemphasis on the Jedi, to the point that it makes you wonder how a smuggler and a wookie and a gambler and a princess were ever able to stand up to the Sith when the Jedi could not. One of the things I liked about KOTOR was the reliance on non-Jedi, to the point that I grew to admire the non-Jedi more then all save Bastila.

20. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    amen amen. i agree. i liked the nonjedi more than the jedi. very well scripted game. i hope the second one will be much better. i think a game set after ROTJ would be pretty cool as well....

21. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Then I finally have a use for this item list for an NJO RPG. Bear in mind that it's nowhere NEAR finished.

Regular ranged weapons, one handed
    Hold-Out Blaster
    Blaster Pistol
    Mandalorian Blaster
    DL-44 Heavy Blaster
    Bryar Pistol
    E-11 Blaster Rifle
    Gungan Energy Slingshot
    Thud Bug Bag
    Blorash Jelly Launcher
    Sonic Pistol
    Disruptor Pistol
    Flame Thrower
    Bespin Heavy Pistol
    Ssi-ruuvi Paddle Beamer
    Chiss Blaster
    Chiss Heavy Blaster

Regular ranged weapons, two handed
    Blaster Cannon
    Light Artillery Blaster
    PLX-3m Missile System
    Flechette Launcher
    Grenade Mortar
    Heavy Blaster Cannon
    Bowcaster
    Disruptor Rifle
    Imperial Heavy Repeating Blaster
    Imperial Heavy Machine Gun
    Concussion Grenade Launcher
    Freeze Wave Blaster
    Sonic Rifle
    Bespin Heavy Repeater
    T-23 Repeating Blaster

Unique ranged weapons, one handed
    Dash Rendar?s Blaster
    Mara Jade?s Blaster
    Kyle Katarn?s Bryar Pistol
    Boba Fett?s Flame Thrower
    Gallandro?s Disruptor
    Jango Fett?s Heavy Blasters
    Keeramak?s Entechment Tazer

Unique ranged weapons, two handed
    Bossk?s Repeating Blaster
    General Mohc?s Blaster Cannon
    Luwingo?s Arkanian Heavy Repeater

Light armor, regular
    Jedi Robe
    Jedi Knight Robe
    Jedi Master Robe
    Reborn Robe (comes in 4 delicious flavors!)
    Dark Jedi Robe
    Dark Jedi Master Robe
    Corellia Combat Suit
    Gamorrean Synthetic Leather Armor
    Stormtrooper Armor
    Clone Trooper Armor
    Republic Officer Armor Mesh
    Zabrak Combat Suit
    Echani Light Armor
    Gungan Energy Shield

Medium Armor, regular
    Stormtrooper Field Armor
    Refined Trandoshan Scale Armor
    Krakana Hide
    Verpine Fiber Armor
    Imperial Royal Guard Uniform
    Vratix Insect Hide
    Vornskr Hide
    Tuk?ata Hide
    Yuuzhan Vong Reploid Armor
    Starlancer Armor

Heavy Armor, regular
    Durasteel Assault Armor
    Mandalorian Commando Armor
    Mandalorian Assault Armor
    Repulsor Armor
    Imperial Sovereign Protector?s Uniform
    Dark Trooper Armor
    Vonduun Crab Armor
    Massassi Holy Warrior?s Crest
    Terentatek Hide
    Rancor Hide
    Krayt Dragon Hide
    Shadow Trooper Armor
    Alusteel Mesh Armor
    Star Dragon Hide
    Molecular Armor
    Quantum Crystal Repulsor Armor
    Laminanium Mesh

Light Armor, unique
    Mace Windu?s Jedi Robe
    Mezhan Kwaad?s Shaper Cloak
    Tavion?s Cortosis War Suit

Medium Armor, unique
    Emperor Palpatine?s Clone Armor
    Darth Revan?s Battle Armor
    Tahiri Veila?s Shaper Cloak
    Keeramak?s Scale Mail (includes Keeramak?s Entechment Tazer)

Heavy Armor, unique
    Jodo Kast?s Mandalorian Battle Armor
    Kueller?s Hendanyn Death Plate
    Rom Mohc?s Dark Trooper Armor
    Desann?s Cortosis Plate
    Shok Choka?s Vonduun Crab Armor
    Tsavong Lah?s Voxyn Hide Armor
    Vergere?s Sekotan Seed Plate

Regular melee weapons, one handed
    Stun Baton
    Vibroknuckler
    Vibroknife
    Vibroblade
    Vibrosword
    Short Sword
    Long Sword
    Halberd
    Ryyk Blade
    Lightsaber

Help adding to this would be much appreciated.

22. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    The only thing I might possibly consider...is maybe at some point in KOTOR2, that perhaps somehow you come across a deactivated HK-47 again, and get to hear some of his ridiculous story's of things he did between KOTOR1 and KOTOR2. I could not stop laughing after some of those story's he told.

23. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    agreed tripleb. :) loved hk-47

ar yeah that list looks pretty good....definately need to add in the amphistaff and some other yuuzhan vong related weapons.

24. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Anakin Solo's lightsabre should be a "special" melée weapon, as it is different from other lightsabres (having the lambent inside it) and has also become something of an important artifact late in the series...

-Paul

25. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    yeah that would work. maybe lord nyax's armor as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.