main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 2: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jhc36, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    If you've read The Unifying Force, then you'd know that an RPG set after the Vong invasion would fit rather well.

2. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    thats good to know....unfortunately i'm not quite finished with it yet....

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I think I prefer the freedom allowed when new characters are invented for the game, and it's set in a previously unexplored (in the EU) time.

4. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    The Unifying Force left open TONS of story possibilities, while at the same time bringing closure to the Yuuzhan Vong war. I can't say enough good about it.

Anakin Solo's lightsaber and Lord Nyax's armor might be cool, but Lord Nyax's armor, considering its power, would have to be a super-secret item that would be really hard to get to.

I'm trying to think of some others.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    But would the game require knowledge of the NJO books?

If so, then forget it. The game must be able to stand on it's own merits, with the player not needing to know anything about EU.

6. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    If KOTOR2 is made, that game will kick ass! KOTOR rocked, part 2 would be better! It ould probably take place in the final Sith War against Darth Bane 2000 years before TPM.

7. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    That's what I've been thinking, JP. Here's the conclusion I've come to:

You can't do it. The only solution is to raise awareness of the EU via the game itself, so the player will gravitate to these things. Perhaps the crawling text could explain the basic parts of the war, like Chewie's and Anakin's death, Mara's disease, Vergere and Jacen, Zonama Sekot, and the military situation against the YV. Such momentous events would prompt the player to wonder about it, which is why one could include a timeline of the NJO in one package.

By this time, even the staunchest purists know who Mara Jade is, and who she's married to. Likewise, they probably also know about Kyle Katarn and other major game-oriented characters in the EU--his games have made more than enough headlines in major gaming magazines. This and the above suggestion taken together would probably be enough of a base to go on.

8. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    All I hope is that they take their sweet time with KOTOR2, review watch all kind of old movies for ideas before putting the game together. KOTOR was such a joy to play it would be a shame to rush it for any other reason.

9. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    well i dont think they are rushing things...it's tentatively scheduled for end of 2004 beginning of 2005.

as for a post NJO storyline...i'm all for it. you wouldnt have to read the njo if you did not want...they could explain it the way ar has indicated. there would be plenty of story lines.

10. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Hmmm, I'm kind of wary that Bioware is letting the Obisidian company make the game but if Bioware trusts them and helps them along the way it should be fine.

But I think it'd be cool if in the game you get to go to Coruscant and see it's multiple areas. It'd be even better if in the Jedi Temple they had a statue of your KOTOR 1 character from it's save file it's still on the harddrive. I'd flip for that.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Regarding Obsidian, there's a fair bit of info on their relationship with BioWare earlier in the thread.

BioWare is currently in the fortunate position of having more attractive looking opportunities on the table than we're capable of implementing while staying true to our fans' expectations of a quality gaming experience. We think several of these opportunities have the potential for critical and commercial success and are interested in exploring ways in which BioWare can expand its capacity to bring these projects to market," said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.
    "BioWare is interested in establishing relationships with credible development studios that have the desire and capability to implement projects consistent with our quality expectations. Obsidian represents a perfect example of this strategy. We're very pleased to have the chance to work with teams which have a demonstrated track record of developing world class titles," commented Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.

"A collaboration with BioWare gives Obsidian the opportunity to explore development projects on established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community. This is an excellent opportunity for a new studio looking to make an immediate impact in the market," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

12. jhc36

Mar 19, 2003
    if bioware trusts them...then so do i. it's going to be a long wait for kotor2 though. :(

13. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    what does E cu ta mean? ?[face_plain]

14. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Enchuta? If I remember correctly, that's the star wars term for **** you.

15. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    No, that word is not allowed on these forums, though you are correct.

16. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Oh ok. I'll edit it. Didn't know.

17. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    You still going to get smacked by an admin for having any of the ctual swear word in there. Just **** the whole word ut. Yeah ti sucks. [face_plain]

Good thing for me is, I never got to play the original.But now that it is comming out for PC this Christmas, I will have it to play until the second comes out. :D

18. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I don't see what the big deal with it is. Anyway, why didn't u ever play it on Xbox? Don't have one?

19. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    NJO?

Isn't the game called Knights Of The OLD Republic?

IMHO, forget the EU books and keep coming up with original stories. KOTOR worked really well that way, IMHO.

20. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I think it should stick with an original story and cast too. That way it doesn't mess with canon when the post NJO book trilogy is released late next year.

21. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I hope KOTOR 2 is like the 1st one but improves in some ways.

22. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
  23. Lord-Revan

Lord-Revan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2003
    My reply is only about a month old, but I also feel they should stick to the same type of storyline, and game play as the first. I can't seem to stop playing the first one. The story line is solid. Microsoft should not let this one slip to other systems. Sony has squaresoft and the Final Fantasy games. Microsoft hopefully will keeps its rights to this one.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What does Microsoft have to do with the LucasArts/Bioware KOTOR, exactly?

25. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    He's saying he wants the sequel to stay on the Xbox and not go to other consoles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.