main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 2: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jhc36, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No, he thinks that somehow Microsoft have a stake in the development or ownership of KOTOR.

"Microsoft hopefully will keeps its rights to this one. "

Microsoft has no rights to KOTOR.

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    And I for one would never have played it if it didn't come to PC. If the sequel doesn't come to PC, I'll never play it.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

IMHO, forget the EU books and keep coming up with original stories. KOTOR worked really well that way, IMHO.[/b][hr][/blockquote]Technically-speaking, the backstory of KOTOR *is* highly dependent upon the [i]Tales of the Jedi[/i] comic books, and to a rather great extent, these propel the entire thrust of the storyline. It's not a prerequisite that the player would've had to have read any of them prior to playing the game itself, but it adds new levels of resonance to the whole shmagilla for those in the know.

I do agree that another "original" story would not be a bad idea at all, but maintaining *some* backstory ties to established material often yields very successful aesthetic results, such as this one.

4. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I will be interested to see how the sequel will turn out. I am quite curious now.

5. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    It might not be easy to keep it exclusive on X-box. Lucasarts pretty much sends the games to whichever system it seems compatible with. Besides,I don't think Microsoft can muscle around a cultural icon such as George Lucas. It probably more than likely will stay on X-box, but these things have a way of changing too.

6. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Maybe they'll have the exclusive for the game for 6 months ot a year like Nintendo kept Racer's exclusive for N64 for about a year before it coming out to PC.

I hope they don't restrict it to X-Box though. I definitly am NOT buying an X-Box just so I play the game.

7. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Microsoft has no rights to KOTOR.

True, but Microsoft is unquestionably aware of how KOTOR was one of it's top selling games of all times; Microsoft almost certainly will pay Bio-Ware to keep KOTOR series games as exclusive to the X-Box.

8. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Microsoft almost certainly will pay Bio-Ware to keep KOTOR series games as exclusive to the X-Box.

Being a Star Wars product, LucasArts has the final saying in that regard, I think.

9. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, it is possible that when the game was developed, that this deal was made. At a minimum, I think KOTOR was done as an X-Box exclusive unless the game did not sell. WHen it did sell, obviously, I am sure BioWare and LucasArts are happy.

As far as whomever said soemthing against the Storyline, just remember that most of the storyline in KOTOR was completely original, seperate from whatever had been done before. The entire Rakastan/Ancient Empire scenario was brand new and brilliantly done.

10. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Something having to do with the graphics and hardware stipulations that only Xbox could manage, insofar as console support goes, wasn't it?

I read a ways back on the BioWare site that they'd indeed considered the other consoles for cross-platform ports very early on in the development process, but that it simply wasn't feasible.

11. Lord-Revan

Lord-Revan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2003
    I can answer for myself jp-30. I don't need you to do it for me. Especially went you have no clue what I meant. I never said microsoft has a stake in the development or ownership. Darth Gehenna was more correct. All I ment was I wanted in on the xbox.

12. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Fair enough, but it has become a standard practice for the Big Three (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) to get 3rd Party developers exclusive arrangements to produce certain games soley for their consoles. Nintendo scored a major coup when it got Capcom to do this with the RESIDENT EVIL sereis. Sony, among others, had exclusive with Take2 and GrandTheft AUto 3 and VC (that expired at the end of 2003 and now X-Box has it). MIcrosoft, among others, probably made a similar arrangment with LucasArts and BioWare for KOTOR.

13. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    i think that the Last Great Sith War, that climaxed the the battle of Ruusan, is a good period to do it on, but the whole process was at least 1000 years long, and we know very little on the other parts (not the edning). make ing an interesting time to use for the game

14. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Personally, I hope they develop a completely original, never before seen storyline, like they did for KOTOR.

15. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    It'll probably come to PC and XBox. The main reason that KotOR didn't come to any other consoles was the fact that there weren't any other consoles that would support it. You can't fit a KotOR save on a memory card, it's that simple. Because PC and XBox have hard drives, they get the game.

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Up.

Considering that we're set to be privy to new info on the sequel rather quickish, seems apropos to kick this one "upstairs."

17. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    This is probably going to seem rather trivial, but who else doesn't want the title to be Knights of the Old Republic 2? Hopefully they'll come up with a new title. Since KOTOR was the name of one of the TPBs for Tales of the Jedi, why not name the next one after a TPB too? Like The Sith War or something? Told you it'd seem trivial.

18. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I rally can't believe that they'd not bring it to PC. I refuse to buy any game systems (not having a television is a big part of this), so if there's no PC release, they'll have an unhappy customer.

I'm already fairly irked about the lack of a PC The Clone Wars.

-Paul

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It might come out on the PS3, since that is due out in what '05 and it will have a hdd if I'm not mistaken.

I too don't want the title to be KOTR2, that would just be unoriginal.

20. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    Well, you didn't miss a whole lot. I'd be more 'irked' about the lack of a PC Bounty Hunter. Not that Clone Wars wasn't good, in fact it was great while it lasted, but that's about it.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I think that it should be something a bit less gormless and slightly more elegant than the "Hollywood" approach of slapping a number after the original's title, but I can live with the inclusion of the original title with a "colon" afterward and some new moniker.

But owing to my faith in the designers, I'm more than willing to write them a blank check on the bank of my conscience for this one. Heard the other day that the sequel will be centered some years later, but within enough chronological range to enable the participation of the first game's characters.

22. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    It'd be kind of nice to have all new characters with cameos (albeit large ones) by the original cast. So that during one of your adventures, you'd team up with Bastila and fight along side her or something. Maybe even slap a couple of the original cast on your team.

What would be really cool is if you could upload the finished save from KOTOR, and, based on that, various things adapt in KOTOR2 to fit the choices you made in KOTOR. Like it would put your KOTOR character as a high Jedi who sent your party out to investigate sightings of a horrible alien race (Vong!), teaming you up with good friends of hers/his for support.

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Perhaps, and yes, the "carryover" option that's been a staple of RPGs like the Ultima series for years should be included in the second game...such as your abilities and appearance, not to mention the opportunity to lock in stone the first game's storyline-path from the moral choices you made the last go round.

Tailoring the "universe" based upon your last experiences would something quite extraordinary, and would further deepen the overall ocean. Hell, even Morrowind allows you to use the expansionary add-ons from your original save in the "Game of the Year Edition," which proves that this specific capability is possible on the Xbox console. Undoubtedly it's being taken somewhat into account for this next one; it wouldn't shock me that something along these same lines will come to fruition in the next year or thereabouts.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Considering that we're set to be privy to new info on the sequel rather quickish

We are? That's cool. What tipped you off to the imminent release of info on the KOTOR sequel?

25. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't wait....it should be a great game :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.