main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 3 Speculation, hopes, discussion. *Contains Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Legendary_Kenobi, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    This is according to his Blog on his website. Not looking good. [face_worried]

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Here it is From DreWK Just Minutes Ago.....

He's evasive in a comedic way, but I think his denials only lend creedence to our obsesiveness. I think it is in developement as we speak.

DrewK

by: karpyshyn
    date posted: Mar 21, 2008 1:07 PM

Tales from the Dark Side

Wow - I can't believe how much time has gone by since my last post.

Since then I've finished off Mass Effect: Ascension, the sequel novel to Mass Effect: Revelation (released summer of 2008), and I've taken a much needed vacation to the island of St. Lucia (highly recommended - check out a restaurant in Rodney Bay called "The Edge").

I returned to find Revelation, the latest Legacy of the Force novel - not to be confused with the Mass Effect novel I wrote - had debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. (Congrats to Karen Traviss on that.)

And, finally, I've seen a storm of rumors and speculation sweep across the internet.

This isn't much of a surprise: the web is a breeding ground for misinformation and half-truths. But I figured I'd come and give everyone an udate about what's going on with me, and try to clear up some confusion about some upcoming projects - both my own, and BioWare's. I figure the easiest way to do this is a short little Q&A, based on the e-mails that have been coming into my website.

Q: What are you working on now?
    A: Glad you asked! On the video game front, I'm the lead writer for Mass Effect 2, and BioWare is already churning hard on the sequel to our award winning game. On the novel front, I'm eagerly awaiting the spring/summer release of Rule of Two in paperback and Mass Effect: Ascension. I'm also trying to finish up my own original fantasy novel so I can send it out to some agents and publishers.

Q: Any plans for another Bane novel?
    A: I'd love to do a third Bane novel. However, there are no official plans yet. Ultimately that decision is made by Lucas and Random House/Del Rey, based on their publishing schedule. From the sales of the first two novels I'm pretty confident they'll want to do another, but for now I just have to cross my fingers and wait.

Q: What about writing other types of Star Wars novels?
    A: It's something I'd be interested in, but as of today there are still no official plans in place. If anything changes, I'll post updates on the NEWS section of my website.

Q: What about all these KOTOR 3 rumors I've been hearing?
    A: Rumors are just that - rumors. Don't believe everything you read on the net.
    Q: But I heard Lucas and BioWare had signed some kind of deal...
    A: Yep, they did. But no details are released yet.
    Q: Come on, it's got to be KOTOR 3 right?
    A: I can't comment. Just let it go. You'll find out the details in due time. You'll just have to wait.

Q: Okay, fine. What about conventions and book signings? Anything planned?
    A: Nothing specific. I want to try and get out to do some signings this summer; I'm hoping Del Rey will send me on a book tour to promote the paperback for Rule of Two and the release of Mass Effect: Ascension. (Hint, hint!) But nothing's on the table yet. As soon as I hear anything, I'll post it on my website and here on my blog.

Q: Seems like you're not really telling us anything.
    A: Yeah, well... sometimes life is like that.
    Q: I bet you don't even know anything about the BioWare and Lucas Arts deal!
    A: I know a bit. But I can't talk about it.
    Q: So what are you working on at BioWare right now?
    A: Like I mentioned before, I'm the lead writer for Mass Effect 2.
    Q: So is somebody else doing the Star Wars project?
    A: I never said BioWare was doing another Star Wars project.
    Q: Whatever. BioWare + Lucas Arts = Star Wars. We all know that.
    A: Lucas

3. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    I agree, after this interview I think it may very well be in the works.

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Unless Bioware and LucasArts have decided to flat out lie about everything, it sure isn't in development at Bioware.

Why would LucasArts say that they indeed have a project with Bioware but it has nothing whatsoever to do with KOTOR?
    If it would be KOTOR, they just wouldn't have said anything at all, like they usually do. No need to lie when there is no reason for it.

And why would someone from Bioware say that he can definately talk about them not working on KOTOR because they don't work on KOTOR, while not being able to actually comment on the projects they are working on?

Drew Karpyshyn simply can't talk about anything right now. One can't just assume things just because a person who might be involved can't talk about it. Things like that have been tried for the last few years and never did the comments turn into what some people expected.

5. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I still dont understand Bioware, KOTOR is one of the greatest achievements within the gaming community ever. (IMHO) They could not make the sequal, although OE did a ok job, it was in my mind a mistake. And now its the third and possibly the last one, and we dont even know if Bioware or anyone will ever make it. This is something i will never understand.

6. Son_Of_Skywalker15

Son_Of_Skywalker15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2006
    Bioware has been saying that they don't have interest in Kotor 3 since, believe it or not, 2003. They no doubt love Kotor, but they like working on their own games. LA & Bioware are working together, yes, but it's not on Kotor; heck, we don't even know if it's SW!

Obsidian seems ripe for Kotor 3. If their new game, Alpha Protocol, does well and TFU does well I think we might see a Kotor 3 in 2010 by Obsidian.

7. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    The oddest part of this is that the gaming/lucas arts community is money hungry as hell....why would you not want to make money?

8. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Because it's the root of all evil and leads to the Darkside?

9. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    If you let it consume you..

10. TheJediMan

TheJediMan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2005
    Looking for an update on Kotor3. Any new rumors over the past couple of months? Any hints that this will be getting made?

11. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    To my knowledge, there has been no official news on KotOR III.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm resigned to the fact that KOTOR 3 is not gonna happen within the rest or our lifetimes. If ever. We have to accept Mass Effect and its sequels as the conceptual sequels to the KOTOR legacy and just let KOTOR go. [face_worried]

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

14. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    You know, I'd be happy if somebody like Karpyshyn wrote a book as a sequel to Kotor II or something. If they don't give me a game, fine, I would at least like to know what happens to Revan and the other companions.

15. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    I wouldn't expect KOTOR III to be put into development until Knights of the Old Republic (the comic) is completed. The previous video games played off the comics that came before them brilliantly (Tales of the Jedi, Freedon Nadd Uprising, etc.). While Knights is incorporating a lot of stuff from the video games it's also expanding them (showing us Malak as a Jedi, Carth Onasi as a truster, how the Mandalorian wars proceeded, and even a little Mission (pun intended)). And based on the character development of Zayne we seem to be very early in a classic hero's journey, so there is really no telling how long Knights will run and more importantly where it will go (Revan may appear in a big way [face_praying] in Knights and we may learn things relevant to the third KOTOR). That being said I see two good reasons to wait until Knights is over before starting production on KOTOR III: i) with Knights in place it allows KOTOR III to play off some of the elements in it just as the previous games played off elements from other comics and ii) it reduces the chances of KOTOR III and Knights contradicting each other. So I wouldn't let my hopes sink until at least Knights' end.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was just hearing about this from a game addict today. Lucas Arts is going to make it obviously, but it's just not there yet. he was describing to me how big a game mass effect is, and some of you know it too. That's what I want for K3, something so giant it takes more than a week or two to get it done.

17. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    This has to have been posted already....page 16 of EA's '08 deck has Bioware working on KOTOR.

Im sure this has been posted...no way none of you haven't found this already.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=19551

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/88/88189/JohnRiccitiello.pdf

Has this already been debunked?

18. TheJediMan

TheJediMan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2005

I really hope that is true, I have been waiting for a KOTOR 3 announcment for a long time.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, quite often actually, see pages 181 to 183.

KOTOR is only on that list, because it's a game Bioware is famous for.

20. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    will kotor 3 be on the ds?

21. REVAN113

REVAN113 Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2008
    I think they should have other sutff like.
    1. Online partys up to 16 pepole in a party to play with
    2. Massive freeroam like galxies/oblivion
    3. Self charchter design
    4. Be able to choose what kotor era to start in like during the jedi civil wars or the during the mandalorian crusades Etc.
    5. more in to depth saber building more colors design hilt and handle.

22. Mace-Wan_Winobi

Mace-Wan_Winobi Jedi Master star 1

Jul 7, 2007
    I for one would like to see a difference in the fighting animations with respect to fighting style. Say a character specializes in Ataru, you would see that person performing the acrobatic feats like Yoda. Each form would have its own unique animations for offense and defense. The animations would resemble the various SW movies characters like Obi, Mace, Yoda, Dooku, Anakin, Maul, etc.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's pretty much everything I'll never want to see in a KOTOR game...

KOTOR is about the story, it's a single player game, not online. Neither free-roam nor choosing the era is in any way shape or form good for the story.

24. DARKMETHOD

DARKMETHOD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    i disagree, i want KOTOR to evolve to an MMO style game.
    well agree we love KOTOR here, but some of us want the story to remain a single player experiance, but there are alot of us who want next gen game play. MMORPG KOTOR would be nice to have the story continue everyday you log in.
    maybe your the type of gamer who plays this game for a months length and gets your fill that way, there are gamers who will finish this game in less then week or a weeks time. i love the stories and for the adventure to continue for a gamer like me i want an MMO. i want to explore, fly my own ship, go to any planet i want, do what ever i want. with a single player style game, you will go here and get this item then come back and do this mission and then do this mission then continue the story. and thats fine i enjoy that but some gamers want more. i honeslty hope that bioware is making a KOTOR MMO, i love their stories and i would love to be able to pop in my game after work and play for years to come.
    yes KOTOR is a single player game but so was final fantasy at one time and they have had an MMO since 2001 and still going strong, while other final fantasy games have come out well after also.
    we can have a KOTOR MMO and a KOTOR 3 come out still, in a perfect world. :)

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    An MMO doesn't continue the story.
    There isn't a single MMO which offers the depth a story like KOTOR deserves. Half assed add-ons have absolutely nothing on a fully developed single-player story.

The KOTOR story-arch isn't finished. It would be a joke to turn KOTOR into everything it wasn't, while not even finishing the story that was started. If someone wants a new MMO, fine, but not at the expense of the style and story of KOTOR.

If they want to make an MMO in addition to KOTOR 3, that's okay, but never should they see it as a possible replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.