main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 3 Speculation, hopes, discussion. *Contains Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Legendary_Kenobi, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The KOTOR MMO is different from KOTOR 3.

2. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I hope so too.

3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well, for one thing, the MMO is going to be named "Star Wars: The Old Republic" so that alone makes it different from KOTOR 3.

4. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Looks like a simple application of Leibniz' law but in fact that's two quick. A single thing can be named in many ways (`Hesperus', `Phosphorous', and `Venus' all refer to the same thing). The fact that this MMO is called `Star Wars: The Old Republic' unfortunately does not mean that they don't intend on using it as the final installment of our beloved games. They may indeed have a story mode (like WOW) in SW:TOR. And if that story mode picks up where KOTOR II left off and has the True Sith as our enemy it will be hard to deny that it's KOTOR III. In such a terrible world I suppose I will play the story mode and then cut my subscription. It will suck that every summer I want to play it I'll basically have to buy the game again by getting another subscription. But I guess I'm willing to pay that price in order to complete this story. Hopefully they just release a separate KOTOR III (even if it's the same as the story mode of TOR). But, personally, I have a bad feeling about this.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The Old Republic spans many thousand years. SWTOR could take place in any time period before 1000 BBY.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He's right. I really hope however that Bioware makes KOTOR 3, or if Obsidian makes it that they are at least able to finish it.

7. sugan

sugan Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2008
    spamvertiser

8. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    I really think that Bioware will have to make KOTOR 3. The second one just left us with a cliffhanger. I mean what happened to revan? What happened to the exile? What happened to the Ebon Hawk? I dont think Bioware will just leave us at that. KOTOR 3 has to happen

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    We said that about Diablo II Lord of Destruction, and remember when THAT came out? Only now we've heard about Diablo III.

One thing you can say about gamers, we need to be patient.

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Bioware did not make KOTOR II. Obsidian did. Bioware has said it will not work on KOTOR III.

11. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Oh my badI-) but there has to be a KOTOR 3. Its meant to be.

12. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    I think they will. Tight gets.

13. JediJumper

JediJumper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2008
    Kotor 1- you are a thought to be dead sith.

Kotor 2- your an Exile Jedi

Kotor 3- I want you to be a Jedi and your actualy doing some missions as a Jedi. Not being Exile and whatever. You could turn to the Dark Side or Stay a Lightsider.

14. LordKermit

LordKermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2006
    to the above poster:
    I am currently writing a KOTOR 3 story and whats funny is that my story is like that however there is a huge plot twist hahaha

15. JediJumper

JediJumper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2008
    Can you notify me when you post it? And what the main characters turns to a Sith.

16. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Any new news?

17. Ceth_Jonuck

Ceth_Jonuck Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Something occured to me today actually. All we know is that this new MMO is based in the Old Republic. Now, I'm sure...like myself...we ALL assumed and thought of the KOTOR era time frame. But, technically....at the time of the phantom menace it was known as the 'Old Republic'.

Truly, there is nothing to say that this wont be based kind of 'pre-phantom menace'. Think about it, they do say that the prequels appeal to kids today more than the OT. They can still produce an MMO that will have familiar characters such as Senator Palpatine, Qui-Gon Jinn, a young Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace Windu. You can visit a still queen Amidala, a Gungan filled Ota Gunga...and it's all technically...the Old Republic.

Jedi are in abundance and it kind of helps that failed 'rare SWG jedi to everyone has a glowstick' nightmare. I was thinking about this and it's not to bad of an idea, think of WOW instances where you meet up with key lore people like Arthas or Illidan. Imagine raids where you go into a cave somewhere with something nasty at the end and run into an awesome scripted encounter with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan who just happened to be in the system and investigating the cave.

Or say you are on Kashyyyk investigating some Wookiee slavers (chain quest) that leads to a dungeon of some sort and involves fighting along side Quinlan Vos. (twenty thousand SW girl fans just started drooling btw by the scenario)

Again with the WOW formula, think of the Paladin mount quest to gather resources to get your lvl 60 charger. Now revert that in SW Jedi and you get questing for your lightsaber parts and crystals, and trade Scholomance for a Crystal Cave to meditate and craft your saber...and who DOESN'T want to see Yoda??

Personally....I'm sold already.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ^ Is this speculation or did you here this somewhere?

Anyway, the problem with that is pre-clone wars, things are mostly pretty peaceful. The main problem is senate corruption...which probably doesn't make for a good mmo.

Well, maybe, but I doubt it will sell.

The Knights of the old Republic era may have less room for cameos and familiar locales and machines, but in most other respects, the relative openness of the era is a boon.

Notably, there are a bunch of Jedi running around, so no worries about that problem...and more Sith too, which you couldn't do in most timeframes. And with Sith comes Sithspawn, and those make great monsters.

Anyway, I am pretty sure they said "Knights of the Old Republic" as opposed to just an old republic mmo, and KOTOR is kind of a specific...franchise...arc....Well, something. After Tales of the Jedi and before the New Sith Wars.

and who DOESN'T want to see Yoda??
    There are plenty of other games featuring Yoda.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The Kotor MMO is different from Kotor 3.

20. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    I've waited so long for Kotor 3 that I've kind of just given up and moved on.

IF it ever was to come out, the for the love of the Force, let us play as Revan again and take the fight to the True Sith.

If not, then whatever. I've got some TFU and Mass Effect to play.

21. Vanderzanden

Vanderzanden Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2008
    Personally, I hope Obsidian goes ahead and makes Kotor 3 while Bioware develops an MMO with a different storyline, but taking place within the same general timeline. Maybe have the MMO take place 3000 years or so into the future, somewhere around when Darth Bane was active? Then have the actual KOTOR 3 game take place right after the events of the second one.

In a perfect world, that's how I see it working.

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    That sounds just about right. I actually want to experience being part of the order, being a real Jedi Knight. None of this overly complicated dramatic storyline. You can make the choice to turn darkside, or continue your career as a Jedi. Start off as a padawan, even. Slowly make your way to Master...

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Making your way from padawan to master would be a complete change in direction. KOTOR focuses on rather short time periods, which helps the story immensely, going from padawan to master takes a very long time. Something like that is suited better for an MMO-style approach, not for a game that tries to (continue to) tell an ongoing story.

In a way, going from padawan to knight already was in the first game. Just because you ended up being a former Jedi Knight and Sith Lord, doesn't mean that you weren't a padawan who became a knight again at the end of the game.

24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yeah but I found it was almost a little too easy. You pretty much showed up at the enclave, cut scene of you using the force to pick up chairs and duel Bastila, and boom you choose a crystal and you're a Jedi Knight.

They could've atleast thrown in a trial or a mission, so that to be knighted you'd need some type of test and skill.

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You had a trial before becoming a padawan, three of them actually, with the hardest one being facing Juhani.
    You weren't made a Knight before you ended the rule of the current Sith Lord, plus, took out his old apprentice and either took out his new one as well or returned her to the light. I guess that's harder a trial than all the living Jedi had combined. Apart from Luke Skywalker, I can't think of anyone whose trial consisted of being the only hope against the biggest threat in the galaxy.

I do think that being a padawan shortly before his trial would be a pretty good starting point, no need for some special background like the last two times, but that doesn't mean that KOTOR didn't have a fine way from padawan to Knight, including a trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.