main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR 3 Speculation, hopes, discussion. *Contains Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Legendary_Kenobi, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Thats true. In the first game you actually had a very hard trial before you became a padawan...

Take a look at this, anyone seen it ? I know its not much, but maybe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uMhLWbUu4

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, it's been all but officially announced that an Old Republic game is developed by Bioware, not much to speculate really. Though I wouldn't call it KOTOR III, it's an online game which plays in the time period of KOTOR, though likely a bit earlier than the first KOTOR.

3. Vangelov

Vangelov Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2008
    Okay, so here?s my idea for the storyline of KOTOR III. Enjoy!

After flying of into the distance on the Ebon Hawk (you just left Malachor) you take control of the exile and can walk around the ship in a tutorial section, or you can automatically go to the section of the ship where Kreia once occupied, and you will find something she forgot as she left the ship for the last time. It was a transmission to a sith lord by the name of Darth Venna. It turns out Venna was her very first, and most trusted apprentice that she had before she was too was exiled. The last bit of the holocron has Kreia asking Venna where Revan went in the galaxy. It turns out he knows, but the transmission was cut short by static. After learning of this information, you (if you chose light side in KOTOR2) will have a flashback to when you promised Carth that you would look for Revan, who had been missing for 4 years. Well, in order to fulfill that promise, you will have to find Venna. Oh goody?

Anyway, after the holocron plays, you will get a small reading of where the transmissions signals was being broadcasted. This will give you 4 planets. The planets are, Utapau, Salucami, Serocco, and Sigil. You will have to go to each one of these planets, to get the transmission codes from the galactic transmission towers to be able to track Venna to his source. However, this is not just fighting wild beasts, and no sith until Venna. In fact, there is more to the overall story then just that. Revan, if you can remember from KOTOR2, went out of the known galaxy to go find the true sith, and stop them there. Carth believes that Revan is dead, since he promised to return after his mission, but has not shown for quite a while (4 years in fact?) How does this incorporate into the storyline? This time, you don?t just face the typical sith lords that you have seen in the past two games. You will get to face the TRUE sith, a species that has immense power over the dark side. They will go after you for two reasons that you will find out later in the game. 1: As you remember from KOTOR2, Kreia and the Jedi masters believed you to be the death of the force. Well, these true sith rely on the force for life. If the force is destroyed then they will die for all eternity. It?s the only way that they can TRULY die, however there is one exception, which I cover below. Anyway, they want to destroy you before you accidentally or otherwise choose to destroy the force. That?s not good? 2: They want you to stop your hunt for Venna, who ironically is their master who is hunting you. Oh yes, he knows ALL about you from Kreia, or should I say Darth Traya. Anyway, these guys, along with the Mandalorians you will find on Serocco and Utapau, will be bothering you until you get all four-transmission codes. Then you will find that the location of Venna is on the lowly planet of Rafa V. After you get though all of the sith there, you will come to a temple like structure to face the true Dark Lord of the Sith: Darth Venna. After beating him, he will run away, but he will drop something on his way off of Rafa. He will drop the holopad that gives the location of all the true sith masters beyond the outer rim. And it also gives the location of Revan. Now the true fun begins!

It turns out Revan is on the unknown planet of Montliok VII, a forest world with a small moon. It also turns out that this was the first world that Revan visited in his travels by himself. It also was his last. You will have to search Montliok for any trace of Revan. Well, It turns out the trace is very big. A big sith academy just happens to be on Montliok, and that?s where we have to go now. After you make your way though the academy, you will eventually reach the prison section. And then while your there, you get Revan out of there. He joins you, and both of you leave Montliok, to rejoin the Republic on Telos before continuing on your journey across unmarked space.

The Republic opens you and your crew (including Revan) with open arms. Bastilla will join your party permanently as well as Revan. Carth will st

4. jedinim

jedinim Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007
    It"'s been awhile since I've posted. The rumors for "the old republic game" MMO or whatever it is are that it will be a mmo set in the old republic. I don't think this is kotor 3 at all. I've talked to several friends and they are saying that there is no way this could be KOTOR 3. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    This thread is dead and should officially be locked, following today's announcement.

Poor hopes of a KotOR 3. Shattered forever. </3.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    KOTOR 3 has not been shattered.

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    But I hate this thread :(

8. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2006
    According to the MMO's official page - www.swtor.com - Revan never returns from the Unknown Territories. I think it was in the FAQ, but it might be the Setting page. This doesn't rule out KotOR 3 completely, but it sure doesn't inspire hope for one.

9. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    Except perharps, an ultra dark, evil tale of Revan's last shred of goodness being swallowed by the horrific practices of the Ancient Sith, as he looses himself far far from home in his suicidal quest to bring down, topple even, a tyrannical regime that cannot be stopped.

10. jedinim

jedinim Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007
    i guess we can only hope that they don't mess this one up. if they have the original writers of the first one, it might be ok. But I have to say I am disappointed. they should have left it on the console. one can only hope that they realize this as they develop the game. and 300 years after Revan and The Exile and no explanation leaves a lot of room and a lot of speculation.

11. Eternity85

Jan 24, 2008
    I really wanted a third game. But i can make my peace with this now, its been over four years after all.

"Enough is enough" says the bitter kotor gamer, then he walks away.. :p

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Diablo players have been waiting since '02 for a sequel, remember?

I still want a KOTOR 3, it needs to have an ending as well as a lot of answered for the unfinished mess that was KOTOR 2. But I am willing to wait, and the MMO looks quite good.

Mandalorian Jedi!

13. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks for the post. I only have one comment about this section. Ulic Qel-Droma turned to the lightside after he killed his brother. I wouldn't like to fight his spirit.

14. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    If they aren't gonna make Kotor 3, at least someone needs to write a book (Karpyshyn maybe) explaining what happened after TSL.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Once again, no one said KOTOR 3 isn't being made. SWTOR is a Bioware project. The KOTOR series is an Obsidian project.

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Wrong. KotOR is a Lucasarts intellectual property licensed and developed most recently through Obsidian. As the developer video explains, there are no plans for a single player, stand alone KotoR III. TOR is KotOR III, IV, V, VI, VII, etc. Those are the adventures of KotOR.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    TOR is a story driven MMO...I imagine that whatever happened after TSL will be a key part of tat story.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I never said there were plans. I simply stated that we don't know for sure that there aren't.
    Wrong. SWTOR has enough content of a KOTOR III, IV, V, etc.

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm not sure but perhaps we agree on the last part.

20. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    If I wanted to pay a monthly fee. I'd take a good well written book over an MMO story any day.

21. jedinim

jedinim Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007

I'd take a book over this dumb idea any day.

22. Sithistorian

Sithistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Does anyone know if the Sith Lord Restoration Project is any closer to being complete? They haven't posted an update in a long while.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, they are a bit closer, but it looks like it still may take some more time. As far as I know, one of their guys was missing lately because of family or work reasons and they didn't get much done in the meantime.

And as always, repairing a bug may lead to new ones, so do different ways to play through certain scenes. They are back to a few big bugs now. Though who knows, just because something has big consequences doesn't mean that it needs much work to fix it ;)

Seeing how this is the KOTOR 3 topic, there is a new book out about the history of LucasArts. In a review by Adventure gamers some of the cut games are mentioned, among them was "a fairly substantial Knights of the Old Republic 3 RPG proposal". So it looks like not only did Obsidian say that they would like to do it, and LucasArts started developing designs for it, there was actually something concrete going on. I'd really like to know what this was about, not as much as actually getting a KOTOR III though ;)

24. Eternity85

Jan 24, 2008
    Weird that if they ever had a plan to actually make a third game, why wait so long.
    Kotor was, and has been hot for a very long time now, you would think that these money loving corporations would exploit that, why would they wait so long. Even Kotor will loose some heat in time. I still blame LucasArts, and maybe BioWare a little for not going all the way. But perhapse LucasArts never actually planned to make a sequal?

But its easy to see how the gaming industry, like the rest of the world is more and more about the money, remember back in the days when they made games like Monkey Island, still going strong today, its a legende. Most of the games they make today will not touch fans the way it should, but Knights Of The Old Republic was one of those games.

Quantity & Money - No, it should not be like that.

Quality & Insipration - Yes, that is what makes a great game.

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The wait isn't all that long if you think about it. KOTOR II came out at the end of 2004 / early 2005, Bioware started to work on their MMO around summer 2006. I'd say it's very likely that LucasArts didn't go for another single-player KOTOR once they decided to work on the MMO with Bioware. They announced the cooperation in October 2007, but as I mentioned before, Bioware had worked on the MMO for more than a year by that time. Maybe they started of by developing "an MMO" and it didn't involve Star Wars at that point, but somehow I doubt it. That takes away all the time between summer 2006 and now.

That leaves us with about a year and a half between KOTOR II and the start of development of TOR. If I remember correctly, LucasArts laid off staff members at the end of 2005 and the development team of KOTOR III was supposed to be among them. The designs that got out last year support the existance of KOTOR III development, even if it were just the early stages. Some months of restructuring in early 2006, add in the Bioware offer and that time is full as well.

If LucasArts didn't want two "KOTOR" games at the same time, it's no wonder that they weren't interested in anyone doing KOTOR III. It also explains why we didn't hear anything about KOTOR, because the MMO simply was too far away - both in development and release date - to talk about it.

The only real question about all this is, why they would stop development of KOTOR III in the first place?
    Here you are, restructuring your company, at a time before the Bioware offer came, why would you choose to stop development on your most famous gaming-franchise?
    One would think that at a time like that, they would choose to focus on established names which have shown that they will deliver, read, KOTOR (acclaim and sales) or Battlefront (even more sales).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.