main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KotOR era one-shot collab

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SoA, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I sent out some PMs to folks who had been writing KotOR era stuff recently, but I wanted to extend an invitation to anyone I may have missed as well. This is open to anyone and everyone who wants to join in.

The following will look pretty familiar to any of you who got my PMs already.

After reading Murakami Haruki's short story, "The New York Mining Disaster", the idea for this came at me. Basically, in that story, a number of unrelated and kind of random events happen in Japan at the time of a mining disaster in New York. While our story doesn't have to be completely unrelated to the event at hand, it sparked this idea.

What happened around the galaxy at the time of Revan's return from the Unknown Regions as a Sith Lord? Specifically, what was happening when Revan and Malak made their first attack on the Republic at the Battle of Foerost.

What I'm hoping to bring together in this collab is a collection of vignettes, only a paragraph to a single scene in length, of what was going on when this attack happened. Both OCs and canon characters are welcome. The little vignettes can be totally unaware of the attack happening, someone directly involved in the battle, or somewhere in between. A mix would be good, anyway.

I was thinking that whoever was interested could do one or two viggies, but if you get inspired and want to do more, lovely!

As for a time-line, I figured it would be nice to get this wrapped up before the Dare Challenge hits, which is usually late February/early March, right?

So, this is just what I've thought up, but if you have some ideas, let's brainstorm how to improve upon this. I did chat with DWH and LaForzaViva a bit already, so maybe they can share what they thought up.

List of Interested Persons
    SoA (OCs)
    DWH (OC/Carth)
    LaForzaViva (news articles/OCs)
    moosemousse (OC)
    MiralukaJedi (Underworld character)
    tjace (Jedi Exile)
    JediDingo (OCs)
    Padawan4687 (Bastila or OC Jedi)
    obaoma (Revan)
    Shilliani (Atton's Parents)

I had asked dark_jedi_lover to write Kreia if she wanted, after reading her fabulous "Fools Like Me." Neither have read their PMs or replied yet, so in the snatching for characters to write about, let's hold off on Kreia for just a bit longer to see if she wants to join in.

So, ideas? There isn't a lot of info on the Battle of Foerost, so we can develop that ourselves to fit the story. Who wants to write what?

I guess when you finish up a piece you can email it to me at ariabreeze (at) gmail (dot) com. You can let me know how much beta/editing feedback you want, aside from unifying any consistency issues between the different bits.

Sorry for taking so long in getting this thread out. The holiday season can get crazy really fast. ^_^

Parts Received
    News Articles - LaForzaViva
    Two pilots (one Sith and one Republic) at the battle of Foerost - LaForzaViva
    Some normal folks (OCs) frantically calling their loved ones - SoA
    Davik Kang - MiralukaJedi
    Atton's Parents - Shilliani

More soon? :D

2. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Of course I'm up for this! You can put me down for OC's.

3. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    Of course I'm doing this!

So, for anyone curious about what the "news articles" in this piece are, let me briefly explain what I'll be doing. And I'll try to do them quickly, so that if anyone desires to use them as background for their story is more than welcome to read them (the Wookiepedia article is pretty thin).

I'll be writing 3-4 articles. As each develops time wise (less than a day apart really), more information and rumors will filter into the articles, which are meant to help describe to the galaxy audience what is going on. The final article will be an analysis/commentary, which will try to sum up who did what, why, and what the consequences are.

I'll be going for a feeling of confusion and fright into dread and more, by using these journalist type articles to really convey how bad the situation the Republic faces when its savior returns, at the head of a Sith fleet.

And SoA, I might decide to throw my lot in with the OCs as well, if I get a plot bunny or two about more after writing my articles.

4. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I'd love to try this out, I'm just a little fuzzy on what exactly you wanted us to do. SoA, can you send me a PM about this?

5. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I guess, to reword and clarify for everyone, the story is a collection of short scenes, tied together by little news snippets, and the fact that they are all happening at about the same time.

So, I guess, to draw a real life analogy, for example, on 9/11, I was in school, listening to the radio in classes instead of actually having class while friends frantically tried to call family who were in New York at the time. My dad was refreshing the news page while he was at work, still trying to do his job. Firefighters were on the scene helping people. There were people grounded in airports across the country. My students in their Himalayan village were going about their daily chores during monsoon season, unaware of something on the other side of the world until much later. One event was seen from lots of different perspectives, or not at all.

Only, we're doing fiction, based around what people were doing when Revan made his/her first attack against the Republic as a Sith. Where were they when it happened? What did they think when they heard/saw about it? Or did they know about it at all? How did it affect their lives. Everyone could write a scene or two focused on the perspective of one or a group of characters. (Though I was thinking all third person might be nice. What do you all think?)

I thought it would be fun if we had a wide variety of people represented in relation to the attack, some close to it and some really distant.

I hope that helps get ideas rolling.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Put me down for an OC. I'll have to think up something now, I guess. [face_thinking]

7. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    My piece is probably going to be on the Jedi Exile, her reaction to Revan's return.

8. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Jedi point of view or the underworld? I really can't decide. :( Any suggestions?

9. LaForzaViva

Jul 6, 2008
    Miraluka - I'd be interested to see what you mean by Underworld point of view. I bet there's gonna be lots of Jedi on this one, something different would be pretty sweet.

10. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd also be really interested in an underworld sort of perspective if you are inspired to write one.

I guess I'm waiting to see what other kinds of OCs people come up with and will come up with one to fill a gap. Maybe this will help in coming up perspectives to write. Here are some general types of people that could be turned into OCs for this:

Underworld sorts (as MiralukaJedi mentioned)
    Jedi
    Dark Jedi/Sith Military on the invading side of the force
    Republic Military actually at Feorost
    Republic Military elsewhere
    Civilians at the sight of the attack
    Republic government folks
    Business people and Average Joes elsewhere in the galaxy
    A family member of someone involved in the conflict

That's what came to mind at the moment anyway. I kind of want to write an Average Joe, though I'm not sure if I want him/her to be at the sight of the attack or not.

11. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Underworld it is...probably Davik Kang of the Tarisian Exchange I think would work well.

12. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I think I'll try a Jedi's perspective. Maybe Bastilla? But I'll probably do a non-canon Jedi.

13. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Oooh, Davik Kang would be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I'll put you down for a Jedi perspective on this one. You can mull over whether you want to do Bastila or someone original as you brainstorm.

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hey! Finally logged in (sorry!), and got SoA's PM. I'm happy you considered me, and definitely interested in writing Revan! I went to the wookieepedia page - is that all the information we have on the canonical battle?

15. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Great to see you on board obaoma. I'll put you down for Revan definitely then.

That little wiki spot is all we've got canonically, so we can really take it and run with it. We should probably work out some detail facts, just so we're all writing about the same attack.

16. Shillani

Shillani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2011
    This sounds really interesting! I'm definitely thinking about participating, as long as it's not too late for me to join.

Just a quick question--if/when I write something up, would I be able to PM it to you instead of emailing it?

17. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    This is open until it looks like everyone is finished, so we'd love to have you. You are also totally welcome to PM me your bit. That's just fine.

LaForzaViva finished a draft of his news articles, and he said I could share them to help with some inspiration. I've uploaded them as a google document. The idea is that in between each article is where we'd put the little perspective pieces that everyone else writes.

I'm all inspired to do a ship mechanic working at Feorost now. I'll probably do a second perspective too, but I'm not sure what.

18. Shillani

Shillani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2011
    All right, I have a plot bunny all mapped out in my head, so I'm certainly doing this. My vignette is going to be from the point of view of Atton's parents, so I guess they'd be semi-OCs in that they must have existed, but they're never mentioned or named. So far I only have the one piece planned, but if I get another plot bunny, then I'll write a second.

19. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    It occurred to me that I've talked to SoA about this, but haven't posted in the thread yet. I'm definitely doing a Carth story, and have some idea of what direction to go with it. I will also almost certainly be referencing those news postings from LFV- they're fantastic. :D

I'm also planning on writing an OC-centric one. I've yet to decide on which one, exactly, but I have some ideas. Possibly too many, but I'll narrow it down. :p

20. Anderson84

Anderson84 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2007
    Sounds good SoA. Let me know what you need and I'll come up with something. I'll write any of the characters that are still open or can come up with an original thing if you want.

-A

21. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Well, it looks like we have lots of canon characters and Jedi on the potential roster. I don't think we have any Sith, aside from Revan and a snippet of Malak with DWH's OCs. We don't really have anyone in the government or a lot of average citizens.

I wasn't going to do it, but LaFozaViva handed me a plot bunny with my freighter pilot OC, so I think that will be my second snippet.

22. LaForzaViva

Jul 6, 2008
    I figured out my OC storyline - I'll be doing part of the space battle at Foerost, specifically focusing on a "Sith" pilot and a Republic pilot.

23. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    How's everyone doing on this? I know we're coming up on the timeframe that SoA was thinking about everyone being done. I've finished outlining and am about halfway done with writing it out.

24. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    So, right now I've written one viggie about my freighter pilots and I have one from LaForzaViva, which was longer than I had in mind for individual pieces. If other folks want to write longer perspective stories too, it might be better if we post this in multiple posts, so that could give more time to stragglers.

What kind of lengths are you guys envisioning for your pieces?

It seems like the Dare challenge might be a little later than I was expecting, so that does give us a bit more time, I think.

If you guys want, I can post what I've written so far.

25. Anderson84

Anderson84 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2007
    I can write up a good vig of just a military guy or a politician if you'd prefer that. I could write an interview with the System Governor of Foerost remembering the day. Or a real-time story about a military guy of some sort who does something heroic. Let me know what you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.