main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KotOR era one-shot collab

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SoA, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    The bit I just got from LFV was a couple of heroic military pilots, so maybe for contrast the politician would be pretty awesome.

2. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    It's slow but it's finally moving out of playing around with it into my head onto paper. Should have something soon...we shall see what the Exchange makes of the return of the Sith.

3. Shillani

Shillani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm at the editing stage on my vignette. In a very rough approximation, it's about 1800 words long--three pages in the font size I'm using.

The plot bunnies in my head bred like gizka, and so I am indeed doing another snippet. This one will be from the point of view of Janice Nall, the droid dealer who made T3-M4. I'm not sure yet how long it will be, but somewhere around the length of my first one is probably a good estimate.

Should our pieces have titles?

4. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Great! I'm looking forward to the droid dealer too.

As to titles, they don't really need them, but we do need a title for our full project. Individual small titles could inspire that. Like, LFV's title for his pilot piece was "Torn Asunder," which could possibly work for a full title.

I haven't come up with any exciting ideas for a title just yet. "Revan's Return"? Not so exciting.

Anyway, I'm starting to thing that since this is growing bigger, it would be best to post it in multiple posts in the thread. Maybe adding one new article and a perspective or two each week. If some people feel like they need more time, we could devise a schedule for whose part will be posted when, to give individual deadlines. But, to decide that, I'd need mini summaries of every piece that isn't done yet so I can work out a schedule of what pieces make sense in what order, and such.

Though, I feel like a lot of continuity hinges on what obaona does or doesn't do with Revan in her piece. (Like, what gender is our Revan?)

So, how about we set a deadline, because deadlines are nice: March 25. If making that deadline is too difficult for some people, then we'll devise a schedule as need be.

In the mean time, I need to work up my second piece.

I'm also putting a list in the first post of all the parts I've received for me keeping track of things and so that all of you know where we are in progress.

5. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Almost there and the end is insight...just have to figure out the ending. The question is though, how would a criminal see it in the end? :confused:

6. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Done. Now what?

7. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Awesome! You can send it to me via PM or email (the address is in the first post).

Now that the Dare Challenge is pretty much on top of us, and basically everyone else has disappeared, I think this will have to be drawn out a little longer. Scratch that deadline.

8. Shillani

Jan 9, 2011
    Finished and sent one piece, and the second should be coming soon, once I take some more time to work on it. :)

You might PM anyone who hasn't posted in this thread for a while with a friendly reminder that we're planning on wrapping this up soon, just to make sure that no one's forgotten about it.

9. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Fabulous! I think you're right, I really aught to PM them all to see if they still plan to participate. If we do go on a posting schedule, I can get a short summary of what to expect from them so I know how to work it into the schedule.

*flits off to send PMs*

10. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay! So here's a tentative posting schedule. We have four news article segments, so we'll be doing this in four posts. There are twelve proposed pieces, so that's 3 little stories per post plus one news segment. I was thinking a pace of about one post per week, every Friday, would be good. So, here's what I've got:

April 22
    Little bit of Revan (SoA)
    Pilots (LFV)
    Davik Kang (Miraluka)

April 29
    Atton's Parents (Shilliani)
    Alyse & Alek (DWH)*
    Mechanic (SoA)

May 6
    Rinnhs (SoA)
    Duros Doctor (Dingo)
    Jedi Padawan (Padawan4687)
    Janice Nall (Shilliani)*

May 13
    Carth (DWH)*
    Exile (tjace)*
    Politician (Anderson84)*
    More Revan (SoA?)*

Starred stories are the ones that I don't have yet. I tried to order these in terms of where they would occur on the timeline. Those dates are when I want to post them, theoretically, so I'd like to receive your stories at least a couple days before then so we can work out any kinks/editing and such before they go live.

Also, obaona has kind of disappeared. I haven't heard from her since our initial contact, so I'm tentatively taking over Revan. If she does show up, especially for the last post, then I'll hand that over to her. For the time being though, I'll work on writing it myself.

So that brings us to the issue of what gender is Revan? We don't have to go canon. I was holding out on a female Revan because that seems to be the gender obaona writes, but does it make a difference to the mini plots of any of your stories? I'm personally pro-female. What gender would you like?

11. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Wups! Double-post. Silly me. [face_whistling]

12. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    I'm of no firm opinion really though some of the best fanfic I've read seems to have Revan as female. Not sure why that is but, it just seems to come across better for some reason.

13. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    I have no issues with a male or female Revan.

14. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I need to keep working on my story. Length is my main problem...it's either too long, or too short! I'll try to get it done by the deadline.

About the Revan gender, I'd prefer a female, too.
    ((As you can guess from my story))

15. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    While I like female Revan, in the context of relationship to the Exile I've put in more thought about Revan being male. It's all right though, I'll just have to work around it. I think I have a decent explanation for the ambiguity: most people haven't seen under Revan's mask, and many of those who have (the Exile, in this case) have the knowledge of physical identity removed from them by Revan and replaced with impressions of personality ("heart of the Force" and the like).

16. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm a little bit late getting this first one out, and I'm sorry about that. I forgot that Friday was also the deadline for the Dare challenge and that I hadn't finished my entry for that yet either. Wups. Go SoA for excellent planning! Heh... There's a few things that still need wrapping up before I can post anything online.

It looks like we've got a lot of Female Revan fans here! Hah! Though, the more I think about it, it might be best if we can write this whole thing without actually referring to Revan's gender. That way we won't color it either way, but leave the door open for readers to imagine whichever gender they like best, as plot-wise, it doesn't make a big deal to us either way, it seems. If you can't figure out how to avoid gendered pronouns, then go for female.

Also, there's the quandary of a title. Between the section titles people gave me plus some stuff I was bouncing off DWH the other night, here's the ideas we have so far:

Torn Asunder
    Bonds of Hope
    Revan's Return
    The Fall of a Savior
    Shattered Reality

I like most of those, but I'm not sure which is best, if any of those. Any more ideas/feedback?

17. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    Well, I think we know which one I'd pick if I could [face_whistling]

I do not like Bonds of Hope, to be honest. This is supposed to be a pretty confusing and terrifying moment for a lot of people. Fall of a Savior is good, but I think is sort of dull sounding. "Fall From Grace" perhaps? Not to get overtly religious on it, but Revan was kind of the Christ-like figure of redemption and a savior in that sense.

Although, not to be too weird about this, but it's sort of amusing that we (the writers) are probably going to look for a title with dark or worrisome overtones; we are reflecting exactly how a lot of the elite in the Republic would react to this - as bad. But, there's also how people who liked Revan and quickly switched to his/her side felt - this would be less negative, more positive, but also confusing. On that basis, "Shattered Reality" is good, but I'd substitute in these words instead: "Shattered Truth" or "Shattered Ideals". Perhaps even switch Shattered with Fractured, as they're both good synonyms meaning the same thing. Sorry to go off on so many tangents but words and language are too interesting, especially when we have to encapsulate so much meaning into a few words.

18. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I like the concept of the Bonds title, it fits with what Revan did to all of her followers. However, I do agree that a different, (darker?) adjective would be better.

19. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I prefer Shattered Reality. I kinda like it because it conveys the idea that everyone thought Revan and his followers would return as their heroes, but instead has returned as their conquerors. Although Revan and crew still see themselves as heroes in a sense. A Shattered Reality. Has a ring to it.

20. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Hmmm...Shattered Reality dounds nice to me. It is very dark, and it seems to fit with the new Sith that are to appear!

21. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    It looks like Shattered Reality is winning for the title, unless anyone else has any other last-minute ideas. I'm also a fan of Fractured Reality.

Obviously, we're not on schedule at all. Woo! I went up and shifted all the 'deadlines' back. Call those dates future deadlines for your stories if you haven't given them to me yet. From there we'll work out any revisions that need to happen.

That said, I need to get on looking over the rest of the stories you guys have sent me. If you haven't heard from me yet, expect to in the next couple of days.

I'm hoping to get all the revisions rounded up for the first post by the end of the weekend, and then we'll be rolling! I'm really loving all of the stories I've been getting for this and I can't wait to get them out for everyone to see.

Please forgive me for my spaciness. I'm moving back to the US from India in under two weeks. Ahh!

22. Shillani

Jan 9, 2011
    I don't have much of any preference about Revan's gender. I've been using non-gender-specific pronouns to refer to Revan for this project, though I've probably had it pretty easy as the characters I'm writing do not actually know Revan personally.

For the title, Shattered Reality sounds good to me. I think it fits better with the whole of the collaboration, not just its own snippet, than one like Bonds of Hope does. Something along the lines of "Shaken to the Core," or "Shaken to the Root" might also work, but it sounds like a lot of us like Shattered Reality, so that's probably the one to use. One thing that might look nice would be if you used Revan's Return or The Return of Revan as a subtitle after the main title. Perhaps something like this: Shattered Reality; The Return of Revan
    It's just a suggestion; I'm not sure how well it would actually work, but I figured I'd mention it.

About the order of the vignettes and news articles--since only part of the story is known in the first two articles, I think there may be a slight problem in the placing of one of my stories. I've written Atton's parents discovering that it's Revan who's attacked Foerost, not just an unknown fleet, so it might not make too much sense to have that vignette posted a week before the news article in which Revan's role in the attack is made known. Would it be all right if Janice Nall and Atton's parents could be switched around in the posting schedule? That would make the "deadline" for Janice Nall today, and it'll be another day or two before her vignette's ready to be sent, but if you don't mind it being a little late, switching the two vignettes would probably be the easiest solution.

Edit: miniature typo fixed. Isn't it just lovely how you only notice those things after you post your message?

23. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'll play with that for titles.

I can totally switch those two, as that would make more sense.

I'm sorry I haven't posted anything yet. I've been waiting on an okay from Miraluka for some edits I gave her a couple weeks ago, but I told myself if I didn't have them, I would post by today anyway. So, I'll wrap everything up and put it online tonight for the first bit.

I guess that means that the deadlines are shifted back one more week again. Woo!

Edit: and we're up! The deadline for part 2 folks (that's DWH, Shillai, and me) your deadline is a week from today, May 7. As I am going to be leaving for Japan to shovel sludge next weekend, if you can't get me your stuff by the 4th, PM it to DWH instead. She's in charge of posting next week.

24. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry about the wait! Part 2 is up!

That means the part 3 folks need to aim to get me stuff by May 30. I'm moving again, so I won't be able to do anything with this until then. Both Padawan and Dingo talked about fixing/adding more to their parts, so that's what I'm looking for by then. If not, I'll just post what I've got so far.

It's looking awesome!

25. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Hey, how is this going?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.