KOTOR: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jaepee, May 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    no, Bubba, that was on Onderon
  2. Bubba Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know...hence the smiley face. :)
  3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm for continuity also... That's why I hang out here and in the OT forum. :D

[image=http://www.bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~
  4. Bubba Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  5. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I didn't knew this thread was about what I was LOOKING FOR, YES, now we have a title for this game (Knights of the Old republic) and it's showing in E3.

here is my existing post, I will post more later! I am excited about Star Wars RPG games

I love that it's going to put it out on PCs. And a roleplaying game, OMG, how cool is that? I used to play text based role play game in the past, now the dream is finally coming true. We can PLAY 3D graphic based Star Wars RPG games, and I am sure it will become Multi-player, we can play it all day all night together ONLINE together. You and me, :)

"For the game, LucasArts and BioWare are creating an entirely original storyline set some four thousand years before Star Wars: Episode I. The ancient era is dominated by an epic struggle between the Jedi and the evil Sith"

I love to play roleplay games like Diablo II, etc. Diablo II may not be a TRUE roleplaying game, but it rocks!

Wouldn't it be nice, to have a Jedi character going around and find magical items, ships, lightsabers. If it's anything like Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II Expansion pack, OR SIMILAR/BETTER I WOULD BUY it the first day it comes out!
  6. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I checked http://pc.ign.com/previews/16512.html

and it says exactly what I want to hear...

"Pick your race, sex, and class (including soldier, bounty hunter, scout, scoundrel [aka Han Solo], and Jedi guardian) and you're off and ready to explore the world.

"Although we didn't get to see an actual battle, they did tells us that the combat will be real-time, but similar to Baldur's Gate"

"Like the movies, combat will be extremely cinematic, and as you progress as a Jedi expect to throw a few Force powers, super-jumps, and back flips in the mix"

"The game is built on a completely new engine and is entirely 3D"

"you can adjust the pitch, tilt, and zoom"

"The new engine looks incredible, with high-detail textures, high-poly models, facial animation, blended animations, and bump-mapped surfaces...you'll just have to wait and see it."

"Quests will have a purpose and there will be a number of ways to solve each mission."

OKAY, SHOW ME SOME PICTURES!!!
  7. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    And, hey Star Wars Galactic battlegrounds is extremely like StarCraft and WarCraft!!!
  8. Mavrick889 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, maybe it's the Sith Revolution of 2000 years BSW4? The thing that set in motion the War on Rusaan 1000 years later? Maybe? I hope so.
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Nope, it's set 4000 years before Star Wars, and a few hundred after the (similarly titled?) comic series.

10. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  11. Darth_Simpson Force Ghost

star 4
  12. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    From Gamespot.com;

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Interview
    Take a look at this in depth interview with the producers, and get some unique insight on the game.

Bioware Video Interview

14. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    This game should be pretty awsome.
  15. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was wondering for those of you that have played Baulders Gate how is it? Also if I got BG2 and not the original and it's add on would I be lost story wise?
  16. Bubba Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sith Revolution? Didn't they begin the Sith Wars? Mind the (s).
  17. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I CAN'T Wait to the day a screen shots comes out!
  18. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    STill no screenshots? When will there be a Screenshot come out?
  19. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Considering it's over a year until the game comes out, I doubt there'll be screenies for a while.

~Sithy~

P.S. Dan, i thought you'd get post 42. :D
  20. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've always wanted to know want happens to cause all the Sith to have their "disputes"! lol and how Darth Bane escapes, his escape leads to the whole "2 sith at a time - master/apprentice"

should be cool!
  21. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm basically upping this so it doesn't get pruned. But I have been reading old snippets about KotOR recently. Like this;

Knights of the Old Republic characters would have a similar level of customizability to that found in BioWare's Baldur's Gate series of RPGs. He added that they have included a new mini-game style engine that allows players to race vehicles - something that was not offered (or needed) in the BG series, but is seriously required for a Star Wars title. An example this came in his description of the Ebon Hawk - a hyperspace freighter not too dissimilar to the Solo's trusty Millennium Falcon.

We were then able to watch a character walk around the spaceport on Tatooine, and observe the high level of attention to detail that has obviously gone into the creation of these initial levels. Our hero approached a droid, who informed him that he must hurry along if he were to catch the Jedi council ship that was about to leave. As our man turned around, a huge spaceship rose up from behind a wall and took off into orbit - the whole sequence had a very familiar, cinematic feel to that of the films.

Graphically, Knights of the Old Republic has taken a step away from the BioWare top-down isometric 3D approach found in the BG series and now uses a very aesthetically pleasing third-person view, which allows the great 3D character models to really come into their own. The character models blinked, had fingers that moved independently, and hair and clothing was disturbed by movement or the wind.

I know the game's not out til 2002, and this huge lead time is why there's no screenshots or anything available.

I've been keeping my eye on the Bioware page;

http://www.bioware.com/swrpg/index.shtml

And emailed them regarding the last sentence on their SWRPG page "More information coming soon!"

Bioware wrote back saying "I can't tell you exactly when anything new will be added I'm afraid. :( Keep
    watching though!"

Bah! Looking forward to some sort of new info sometime in the future...

Also, that guy who wants a Jedi Council game might get partially satiated by the sentence above "Our hero approached a droid, who informed him that he must hurry along if he were to catch the Jedi council ship that was about to leave."

To those of you with other Bioware titles - what's Multiplayer like? Can you do co-op missions? Or is it just one-on-one battles?

I'm really looking forward to the next couple of years worth of Star Wars online gaming - with games being release slowly over the next couple of years (not to forget the EpII titles (Bounty Hunter, anyone?));

Battlegrounds
    Jedi Outcast
    Galaxies
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Galaxies (Space)

Looking forward to the point when we're all n00b's with regards the new games :D

JP

22. Shoryuken Jedi Padawan

I've never played the Baldur's Gate series, so I wouldn't really know that well, but from what I know, the multi-player for BG is something like traveling in a small party to complete the actual game.

Here's an excerpt about multi-player in the review of Baldur's Gate from PC.IGN:

"As if all of this wasn't great enough news for the hardcore RPG fan, Baldur's Gate also has a great multi-player option that makes it easy and rewarding to journey with friends.

Tal and I found multiplayer to be much like the single player mode with just a few exceptions. First off, since you aren't picking up loads of NPCs (at least when you're playing with six people you're not picking up any NPCs) you tend to miss out on many of the subquests that fill out the story of the game. There's nothing that keeps you from doing them, it's just that you may not know where they actually take place.

Second, the multiplayer game, as you might imagine, didn't seem to be as stable as the single player mode. We experienced several crashes and lock-ups, but not so frequently as to be all that irritating (actually they forced us to take a look at our surroundings every now and then).

Finally, and this is key, the multiplayer game is only as much fun as the people you play with. As with a real game of AD&D, it only takes a couple of guys more interested in smacking each other around than adventuring to ruin a game."

*anxiously awaits weekend LAN-fests with Sw: KOTOR*
  23. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are at least on my top 3 list of my all time favorite games. I highly recommend it. It was a total port of the AD&D rules, which was done extremely well.

I didn't work well as a multiplayer game, because it was exactly the same as single player, only with more people.
  24. burrie Jedi Master

star 4
    I visited the Lucasarts site several minute ago, and I couldn't find any clue of the Knights of the Old Republic existance... this scares me, as I really want to see play this game ever since I heard about it, and especially when the first previews came pouring in...
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.