main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jaepee, May 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Perhaps if I spare hour later tonight I will go back and read JP's monster post.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Thanks for that paste JP, I really enjoyed it. :)

Man, I couldn't care less about this game a few months ago, now, thanks you to, JP, I can't wait for it.

"2002 will be a year long remembered. It will have seen the end of TPM games, and a zillion awesome games."

:D

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Everything I see about this game makes me want it more. I have been waiting a long time for a Star Wars based computer RPG, and now that one is finaly in development I find that it is set in favorite time period. The Tales of the Jedi era alows for so much more freedom than any other era, because so little has been written about it, but there is enough to provide a solid background for a great story. On top of that, KOTOR is being designed by the comapny that created the greatest computer RPGs ever, Baldur's Gate and its sequels. Everthing I could have wanted, can't wait.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    wow!

That one person's P.O.V has made me sit up and think - this game must be something!

Tomorrow I shall read the entire thread properly. :)

5. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    when is it comming out?

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    well, seeing as there are no screenshots yet - only concept art - its a little way off yet I would say! :p

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    BioWare is proud to announce the development of an exciting new game for the PC and next-generation console. In association with our partner, LucasArts Entertainment Company, BioWare will be developing the first Star Wars Role Playing Game, planned for release in 2002

So, err sometime in the next 11 months. I'd say late 2002 if it makes it this year.

8. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    is there a game before this? Any other JK games, i mean.

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    yes - if you mean is there an "original game"

no - if you mean a new JK game comming out before Outcast.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    JO (Jedi Outcast, the sequel to Jedi Knight) is coming out in March.

11. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Yipee!
    Yipee!

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I think you speak for all of us, Obi_one_and_only. :)

13. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Its as if someone has me granted an extrodinary wish.

I love the Knights of the Old Republic time period. I always thought they should have done more with it.

With this and SW Galaxies coming out I'm about to wet my paints from anticipation.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Are your paints water colours?

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    GIDDY SPASM!!!11!!1!1!!!

16. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    2002 is full of excellent games!!
    It was about time after a boring 2001...

17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Knights of the Old Republic sounds like a very interesting game. Can't wait to play the demo.

18. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    Axes of the Dwarves!
    The Dwarves are upon you!

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    say it properly or not at all :p

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd aimênu!

20. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I haven't heard alot about this game, though I am very interested in it.

Is it going to be for the computer or a console?

Is it going to be lame like the Aidyn chronicles (most hated of all N64 games no wait I'm forgetting Superman) or superb like The final fantasy games? (As you can see my forays into RPG video games have been very limited).

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Platform: Computer and console.

Lameness: read the articles posted in this thread and make up your own mind.

22. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    It's my wish come true!

Axes of the Dwarves!
    The Dwarves are upon you!

:p

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Star Wars games preview, including KOTOR here;
    Bluesmoke

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic

Platform : PC
    Developer : BioWare
    Publisher : LucasArts
    Release Date : 4th Quarter 2002

From the creators of the massively popular Baldur's Gate series, comes a 3D role-playing game of Star Wars origins, filled with lightsabers, blasters, droids and the mystical force - Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic. Taking place some 4,000 years before the Star Wars movies, players are thrust into the role of either a scoundrel, scout, soldier, bounty hunter or even a Jedi guardian. Traveling through some eight new and familiar worlds such as the barren desert world of Tatooine and the sprawling city of Teris, players must complete a multitude of quests and tasks in order to succeed.

Sticking to the same perfected formula used in their Dungeons & Dragons based role-playing games, BioWare hopes to make this promising title appealing and accessible to both Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons fans alike. As in other role-playing games, players take control of a party of adventurers after creating a main character from a selection of three different races and six classes. Once done, the universe is yours to explore, with hundreds of items and non-player characters scattered throughout the galaxy. From blasters to lightsabers, dozens of objects and weapons are available to adventurers. Characters will also have to constantly choose between actions that will push him / her towards the light side or the dark side. Depending on your character's dynamic alignment, NPCs will react to you differently, characters will be privy to different items and players will be able to unlock different force powers. Players will also travel in between destinations on the starship Ebon Hawk, which will act as your mobile command base.

During combat, gameplay will be somewhat similar to that of the Baldur's Gate series, taking place in real-time. BioWare has promised to make the combat sequences more action-oriented this time round, to avoid having players pausing in the heat of battle to give out orders. A surprising feature which is often popular among console RPGs will be minigames. In several sequences, players will be able to control their destinies instead of simply viewing traditional cutscenes, even hopping into a turret to fend off incoming hostile fighters.

To recreate the rich and diverse universe of Star Wars, BioWare has created a brand new 3D engine to take full advantage of all the latest graphical features of the GeForce 3. In addition, to match all the recorded dialogue in the game, a proprietary lip-synching technology to match the speech patterns of the characters' lips have been created. Characters will also have a number of facial animations and body movements to relay feelings that range from pain to happiness. Each model has individual fingers, eyebrows that arch and eyes that move. With each model being rendered with a high polygon count, even the clothes and hair blow realistically in the wind. So far, the graphics engine looks to be rather impressive, and will hopefully live up to expectations when the game is released.

From what we have seen and heard, Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic promises to deliver both an exciting experience and to drive the Star Wars series full-tilt into the wonderful world of RPGs. Unfortunately, players will have to wait till the end of 2002 to witness this. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Northing new, really. But this thread needs all the action it can get ;)

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    But no screenies. :(

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    BioWare has promised to make the combat sequences more action-oriented this time round, to avoid having players pausing in the heat of battle to give out orders

That will make the battles etc much harder, yes? (not being able to pause and command you guys to attack certain opponents etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.