main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR II: The Incompletion Controversy

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Errant_Venture, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt_Cade

Sgt_Cade Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    I wish that weren't the case. LucasArts was a great gaming company (and still is). But at one time alot of things they did were golden - Maniac Mansion, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tenticle, Full Throttle, X-Wing, Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight etc.. etc... sure they had some "weak" titles like the Dig, or the Rebel Assault series (shudder) but over all the products were really good. The only sad thing these days is LucasArts has become like so many gaming companies out there today.

2. Darth-Adroit

Darth-Adroit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    I couldn?t agree more. LA used to go against the grain; they were one of the few software companies that encouraged originality sometimes at the cost of sales. Now the opposite is true. They push unfinished product on the public and we buy it because we are Star Wars addicts. This can be bad when a shooter losses a few levels or power-ups, but in an RPG it is completely devastating. Fighting systems and cool graphics are great, but people buy RPGs for the story. If you remove large elements of an RPG you run the risk of ruining the story. I don?t think that happened with KOTOR2, but it was close and I can see where some people might think it is ruined. Giving the developers a few more months might not have helped LA?s 4th quarter profits, but it would have served their fans (and thus the company) better in the long term. It is foolish to hurt a franchise to garner short term profits.

3. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Nuff said

;)

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

That sound/graphics update still hasn't come. I'm not rabid about it, but I think if people don't noise the company, it'll give an impression that it's okay to cheat consumers. Now that I've finished the game, I understand how horrifically undercut it was. And 3 stop/start cutscenes to land on Telos . . .

5. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Could someone please explain the ending of Kotor2 to me? I didn't understand it at all.

Did you leave Malachor alone (LS)? If so then who picked you up in the Eban Hawk? :(

Thanks.

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Having played KOTOR 1 and loving it I didn't wait for K2 to come down in price and bought it for $99. I now wish I waited. I did love the game, especially the game engine, but it did feel rushed. I felt that the sith weren't as well developed in this game (apart from Kreia) as Malak was and I didn't feel the same rush when killing them (easily to, even on hard). Some of the levels felt much too long (especially peragus, its missions seemed to take too long to accomplish). I did like turning my NPC's into Jedi (Miras was the only one I didn't manage to) but I would have liked to have seen more of them at the end. I mean, you spend all this time developing relationships with them and then you don't even see them. The trayus Academy got stale fast, fighting the same enemies over and over again. But I would buy K3 despite K2's problems because I have faith that LA wouldn't put out such a rushed product again and risk gamer backlash.

7. LadyLeviticus26

LadyLeviticus26 Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2005
    I liked KOTOR II but I loved KOTOR 1. The main plot for KOTOR 1 was much better then KoTOR II. now we are just waiting for KOTOR III.

8. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    I felt as if Onderon was going to play a bigger role. One of the things that annoys me is that their is almost no freedom to choose like in KOTOR in terms of options for a conversation. Overall I didn't feel the buzz and excitment as I had playing KOTOR.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  10. darth_malaksus

darth_malaksus Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    Me neither dude but the first KOTOR was the same way it showed you what happened on light side and dark side ending but it didn't show you what happened to Bastila,Revan, Carth,Misson if you didn't kill her near the end of the game but in KOTOR II it just showed you in the Ebon Hawk leaving Malachor V.

11. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    I agree an expansion pack would be very good for the games rating think about the ratings that Doom 3 got with its expansion pack.

12. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    Lady_Leviticus do you think its going to be incomplete like the first and second games or do you think its going to be the last game and the creaters will make it complete?

13. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    Sarg_Kulu I have a reply to your question maybe the Ebon Hawk was piloted by the Iridonioan's droid because GO-TO may have been destoyed by it but I'm not sure its possible Mira found her way into the core of Malachor V.

14. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    :mad: I'm pissed off why do they make the games incomplete and its like they set the damn games like 5 ***damn years apart its out of context.

15. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    You stole money to play KOTOR II and you played a game that wasn't even complete dude that is very very sad Errant_Venture thats really pathetic. No offence.

16. darth_malaksus

Oct 9, 2005
    Yeah, after all in the first KOTOR you played as the Sith lord Revan. So you had more power as a dark side jedi. Well basicly dark side you were in your previous life depending on what you do.

17. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Please stop talking to yourself.

18. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    HAHHAHAHHAHA that was hilarious.

19. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I think Remote sacrificed himself to set off Bao-Dur's gravity toys...

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Thank, MarcusP2. I'll check it out.

I noticed that the loading screens started infodumping important data on Malachor that you owuld have otherwise gotten in conversations. For me, the hundred Sith Lords I swam through to pummel Scion without much trouble was the finale for me.

The only thing that bothers me is that almost none of them bothered using Force powers on me. I won't bother with Force defense next time.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm not really sure that the remote sacrifices himself to set off the mass shadow generator. It says that there isn't much time after the sequence has started, but you still can leave before the planet is destroyed.

I think this is even more obvious in the cut material. HK was supposed to meet GOTO and the remote, and there is no way they would have killed of HK.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

He saves Remote from Goto, from what I know. But this was after the Hawk fell into the chasm.

Vaderchips! This patch isn't easy to download even with broadband!

23. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    KOTOR II ain't the first game Lucasarts pushed out the door before it was ready.
    "Battlefront" was even worse in that department as far as the PC version goes.

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Battlefront didn't have a story, so I really doubt that it was worse in that department.

Having an unpolished shooter isn't really a problem, as the game still resembles closely what it was supposed to be. Having a RPG with many loose ends because of cut content, is much worse.

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Anyone know, once installed, can you delete the patch files?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.