main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side KotOR Jedi Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by debbie_l_g, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Looks like a young Jocasta Nu.

2. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Ahh I was wondering who that is.
    I made a ostume of her for Dragon COn. Although I'm having trouble locaiting a template for the pattern on the tabbords and obi. Anyone know where to find one?

3. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Nope, I'm planning on making my own. Shouldn't be too difficult.

4. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Bumping for recent query. :)

5. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Yay! :D

Ciou-See the Sig

6. Gune

Gune Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    --> was redirected to this thread.
    I about to make my first jedirobe... from scratch... and fancy more the other colors than the standard brown from the filmed episodes.

I resently played KotOR 2 and I found a greeny robe, called 'Matukai Apprentice Robe'.
    Also from screens at KotOR2 - choose 'media' - then 'PC-screens' - screen 6 and 7.

Do you think i can use the same pattern as for an "Obi-Wan jedi robe"?

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Just thought I'd chime into this thread while it's still up pretty high, Bastila's costume from KOTOR was just tacked onto my costume list. It seems to keep getting longer... I started this academic year at one, now I've got three in the wings.

In any case, I'm very much looking forward to making it, but I've got other projets to finish first.

8. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Gune, I would think you could adapt almost any standard robe pattern to suit your needs (if I'm looking at the right character in the pics, it looks like a fairly standard robe).
    Since it's a video game, you have a little bit of leeway on details. The biggest things you'll probably want to be mindful of are matching up the lines of the sleeves, the hood, and the fullness of the robe.

9. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    Hey folks! I was just doing some reading on armour making and got a pretty hot idea to make a set of armour similar to the Jal Shey and Zeison Sha stuff in KOTOR2 (probably a darkside version). The catch is, I play KOTOR2 on my xbox, so I can't capture screen shots to study for references, and I can't seem to find anything useful with google's image search.

Any chance there are some other PC gaming KOTOR2ers who could grab some screenshots of that armour for me?

Thanks in advance!

10. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been planning to make a Bastila costume, for CIII, for some time now, though given the approaching deadline and the work I still have to complete on other costumes, Bastila may not be done.

Still, I'm starting to research and plan, just in case. I'm currently trying to decide what materials to use for the dark brown armor-type part. Is that leather? Or perhaps suede? Does anyone have any thoughts?

11. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Mine is made with leather.[/color]

12. LordSinestro

LordSinestro Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    From my own playing experience, I think it would look stunning in suede.

13. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm going to keep that in mind... it'd probably be a lot easier to work with and move a lot better. And be easier on my ramen noodle budget. So many things to consider...

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I have to agree, and I was thinking along the same lines: suede would be easier to sew and less expensive! In some pictures I can't help but think that Bastila's armor looks more like leather-type material though. In general, does suede work as a believable alternative for something like this?

15. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Be that as it may, and it really does look rather leather-like... I don't like the way it looks in examples I've seen of the costume. It's entirely too stiff. I want this to be a costume I actually could go out and fight in, and leather, nice as it is for some projects, i don't really see working for me here.

Ahh, computer generated leather. Not required to work quite like the real stuff.

I also intend to sew the front piece to the shirt- there's no way that any sort of fabric is going to be nicely form-fitting with that cut, so I'll have to improvise. It's also going to be a pretty detailed piece.

I think, if you get a rich brown/burgundy suede, it'll work out nicely. If you can't precisely match the texture, then the colour should at least be right.

16. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Maybe, instead of solid leather, you could find lightweight, soft leather skins and either sew them onto a slightly stronger fabric so that they have some reinforcement or double-layer them so they're not too insubstantial. I made a belt with this technique so that it would be lighter and more flexible; I glued a leather skin over 300lb watercolor paper (more like board than paper) and you'd never know the difference. That way you get the sheen and texture of leather without all the bulk and hardness.

Of course, it's easy for me to say this because I've got the New York garment district a couple subway stops away, with at least one store with skins in all colors of the rainbow. But at least brown is the easiest color to find. :p

17. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Yeah, I might try something like that for the belt, but I spend most of the year in middle-of-nowhere Ohio, so my shopping is usually done while I'm at home, on breaks or whatever. Basically, I'll improvise. It's served me pretty well thus far, although I don't know if I can keep my loyalty to the clearance section for this one. :p

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Commander-DWH: that's an excellent point, regarding how flexible the material should be for movement and fighting, plus the fact that it looks like it should be form fitting across the chest. I hadn't thought that far ahead, but I think you're right. So... I'm thinking suede.

To make the details on the front piece... it looks to me like there are a few different layers, sewn on top of each other / sewn together?

19. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Keep in mind that this was not entirly finished. These are from DragonCon last year, guantlets being made as is the belt being finished.

Bastilla vs. Malek
    Bastilla close[/color]

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Destiny - that looks great!!!

I've been browsing patterns for the unitard - until I started thinking about this costume, I never realized how rare unitard patterns are. I'm currently thinking of using Kwik Sew 3052, view A.

21. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Yeah, that's probably the best pattern for the job. The rest is likely going to be pretty free-form, though. At least for me. I have a bad habit of ignoring patterns and guesstimating. When Artist Mode kicks in, my measurements go out the window.

I'll just have to start making sketches, maybe make some templates with cheap fabric to experiment with what would work. I'm going fabric shopping once I get back to school, so maybe I'll see if i can pick something up then.

22. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I absolutly hate working with stretch fabric when sewing, so as far as the unitard, I had bought a white one to dye yellow a few years ago when I played a fairie in A Midsummer Nights Dream (which got re-used for a trapeze costume almost 2 years ago) so I just darkened the yellow to match up with Bastilla and presto![/color]

23. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hmmm, yes, sewing with stretch fabric can be annoying - especially if you're sewing together two different fabrics. I found that hand basting ahead of time helps a lot, though it does add a lot of time.

I think I'll probably end up going with stretch, though, just because I think it will fit the body better for this sort of thing.

The armor... lots of freeform and templates for that. I'm definitely going to have to use some cheap fabric to work out how to do that all.

24. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I would love to make a set of Jal Shey or Zeison Sha armor.

The question I have is.. Is there a hood attached? I don't have screen shots to show but if anyone who's played recently could look it seems to me that there is a hood attached to the tunic that is under the armor. You can see bunched up material around the back of the neck line that looks to me like a hood in the down position.

Otherwise there is Chest and Leg armor very simlar to Jango Fett's Mandalorian Armor so I don't see it being too difficult a costume to replicate.

25. DarthBluie

DarthBluie Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    I think those costumes look great in both games.
    Mind you, I lean more towards the second than the first for the outfits.
    I wouldn't dare try to make one of them yet thou, I would be to scared I'll muck it all up.
    I couldn't really see the blue outfit well but I have a rough idea what one it is.
    Good luck on doing it, I think it's a cool one to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.