main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side KotOR Jedi Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by debbie_l_g, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks! I was happy with the level of detail I put into it, and I think it was definitely worth it, but it came at the expense of not having time to get those last few pieces done. *shrug* Next time.

I'll be going through my CIII pics sometime this weekend; I'll upload the one of you at the party to my site. It was a pretty good picture.

2. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Xanthe_ShHarr, I hope you haven't forgotten about this thread! PLEASE post pictures of your KOTOR Jedi costume! PLEASE!!!! [-o|

If you don't reply on this thread within a reasonable timeframe, I'll be really hurt! :(

And then I'll just have to resort to PMing and/or emailing you! [face_mischief]

3. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Carried over from another thread:

Bastila's hair: It's pulled back into pigtails, but what's up with the front and top? I can't tell exactely, I know part of the front is hung to the side, but I can't tell how/why it 'bulges' on top or how that would be done?

I think some of the photos vary, especially one or two of the reference photos as opposed to the actual game. For example, the size of the "bulge" you pointed out seems to vary a little. Here's my interpretation on the hair, though.

I think the "bulge" on the top is probably created by a hairclip. So, looking at the hair framing the face, I believe the very top, from say 11:00 to 1:00, is pulled straight back into this clip. A little on either side of this (around 10:00-11:00 and 1:00-2:00) is pulled back for the rolls on the back, but isn't part of the hairclip bunch. Then the rest of the very front is left loose to hang on the side, some framing the face and some pulled to hang behind her ears.

Once you get past the little bit at the very front that is left to hang loose, the hair is pulled back for the rolls. The section of hair that looks different at the back towards the top - a strip from the top and going down to where the rolls start - is the hair from the hairclip. The hair from the clip and the hair that is pulled back, is rolled/twisted, turning towards the back of the head and down the length of the back of the head, until the nape of the neck. At that point, the rolls are terminated in the pig-tails.

Or at least this is what it looks like to me. It's certainly open to interpretation.

4. Scoundrel1100

Scoundrel1100 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    Eva Pilot, I made a Darth Revan costume and wore it to CIII this year. I made everything but the mask. I wanted mine to be not only accurate, but functional too (after all, it IS a suit of armor along with the robes). It took many MANY hours, and probably around or over $200. In the end it was very expensive, but very worth it. If you or anyone else that reads this wants pics of me wearing the suit, I'll upload some (as soon as I figure out how).

5. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Ooo, that sounds impressive- got any pictures to show off?

I can't wait to start on Visas, but first I need to get through exam week. It's almost over, it's almost over....

Life would be happier if I could just sit around and make costumes.

6. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    I'll post pics of me in my Revan costume, but can anyone give me a nutshell tutorial of how to post pics on these forums? Thanks!

7. Darth_Kurai

Darth_Kurai Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Scoundrell1100: Take a look at the Markup Codes.

8. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Hey, I finally figured out how to post pics of me as Darth Revan. Check 'em out!

Clizzick Here

Now I don't know who else has tried to make this costume, so I don't have anything to compare as far as how good mine is. Feedback or critiquing would be appreciated. Also, it's my first attempt at rotoscoping the lightsaber blades.

Scoundrel

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Scoundrel - very nice costume!! It looks great.

10. Darth_Kurai

Darth_Kurai Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    WoW! Nice costume!!! =D=
    What did you use to make the armor? It looks great!

11. Brunhilde

Brunhilde Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    I made some Kotor 1 style jedi robes, cause I really loved the way they looked!

However I made up my own colour scheme, as the standard robes don't come in black and the dark jedi robes are different.

[image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/starry76/photoshop2.jpg]

I'm trying to get the stance right in that pic ;)

I'd really like to make a Visas Marr costume, I think that would be cool, aside form the not being able to see anything factor.

12. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Wow, I didn't expect such a positive response, with this being my first costume and all. Thanks! The armor was made in three layers. The innermost layer is an old leather vest that I had in my closet forever. It actually got too small to wear and still look cool.

The second layer is a set of football kidney pads (the kind that looks like a vest, Adams brand, found at Play It Again Sports. Snaps and rivots are god to attach it to the leather vest. Then I took some kind of vinyl-looking fabric pieces (the maroonish/purple coloring) cut them to fit and rivoted them on.

The last layer is the front. I used an umpire's chest protector in my size, also found at Play It Again Sports. I cut a piece of the vinyl stuff and rivoted in on.

It's cool in a way, because it's actual armor. Fashionable and Functional too!!! YUH!!! ha ha

The way it all connects and the connectors for the cape and all that are a little more difficult to explain in this post, but I'll gladly tell you how it all connects if you want. Just PM me. I'll tell anyone anything they want to know as far as tutorials or directions or anything like that.

Scoundrel

13. Brunhilde

Brunhilde Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    That's a nice Revan by the way, going to make a mask too?

14. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Brunhilde,

I like it! It's cool to see that you got it down the way the top flap of the robe (above the belt) comes from the right side, and the bottom one (below the belt) seems to come from the left side. It looks good!

A lot of people want to make the Visas Marr costume. I would like to think of myself as having a good eye for how to materialize the costumes we see in KotOR I and KotOR II. Trust me, if I could do Revan's garb, I can do anything.

As for the not being able to see part... I went to CIII, and there was a Visas Marr there that had her veil made of a see-through material. Come to think of it, it looked to be made out of the same fabric I made my sash of on my Revan suit.

For Visas' veil, if you do try to attempt it (which would be awesome, BTW) you should try to find the material that they use for making the eyes black on those rubber ghost masks from the movie "Scream." That material is so cool and would be perfect IMHO, because at a distance it's plain non-see-through fabric, but get close to it with the eyes, and suddenly it's totally see-through! If you could find that kind of fabric for the veil in that deep a shade of red or maroon, it'd be sweet. Around Halloween time, I've seen those hoods you can buy to make it look like you have no face (the face is just blacked out by that fabric) at Wal-Mart, so I know that fabric exists in more colors than black.

Hope you decide to make it, and if you do, hope this helps.

Scoundrel

15. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Yeah, I want to make a mask, but I'll probably have to wait until Halloween, so I can get some kind of other mask, and mod the H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS out of it. ha ha (there's still an immature child in all of us, I hope)

Scoundrel

16. Brunhilde

Brunhilde Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    It's cool to see that you got it down the way the top flap of the robe (above the belt) comes from the right side, and the bottom one (below the belt) seems to come from the left side. It looks good!

Yeah that part threw me at first, then I ended up using two front pieces of material and just cutting them however. It is actually a little longer in the back that it looks it that pic, it was a little bunched up from sitting down. I made a hooded robe/cloak too, which isn't very Kotor 1, but looks cool anyway!

Something like crepe is good for being able to see through up close, but it doesn't look see through from further away.

I won a pinata smashing competition by using cloth like that as the blindfold, I was a big cheater :(

17. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Crepe? Is that what's it's called... hmmm... That stuff is great! It's like the one-way glass of fabric! You should make a Visas Marr outfit. It'd look good, I bet. I could help you with the thinking up the designs. ...only if you wanted of course.

Scoundrel

P.S. And cheaters never win...unless they cheat. ...and if that's the case, then it's all good!

18. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    scoundrel, your Revan is fantastic! Nice job roto'ing the sabers, too.

19. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Scoundrel1100: Excellent work! That's a great looking costume! :)

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the mask. :cool:

Brunhilde: AWESOME!!! Finally, someone posts a pic of a KOTOR Jedi tunic! =D=

EXCELLENT job on that! It would be a massive help to myself and others if you could post additional pictures, especially a view of the rear (so we can see how the "tails" look) and a view of the tunic by itself, laid out flat, fully open, so people can see the design that has to be used to make it.

As I've mentioned previously in this thread, my next Jedi costuming project will be the Jedi robes from KOTOR, and I'll need as much info about the tunic as I can get my hands on. :-B

And just out of curiosity, are you planning to make any additions to the costume, such as the inner tunic, shoulder pads, and bracers? :confused:

If so, I'd be most interested to see the evolution of your costume as it progresses. :cool:

Again, well-done, young Jedi! You've both done excellent jobs! [face_peace]

20. Kynaeus

Kynaeus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Brunhilde, perhaps you can put up a tutorial for all of us?

I really like your costume, but I'm looking for the Jedi ROBES, not the tunic :( Maybe my mom and sister can make me the robe if someone makes a tutorial for them, they're very good at sewing! :D

Well done on the Revan costume by the way, you guys that make these costumes have limitless skill!

21. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Kynaeus:. In KOTOR, the Jedi don't wear the outer robes like we see in the movies. As you can see in screenshots of the first game, all they wear is the basic outfit like Brunhilde made.

In KOTOR II, they begin to wear the familiar outer robe, but it does not look significantly different from the robes seen in the movies. Check the Complete Jedi Costuming guide for info on making Jedi outer robes. :)

22. Kynaeus

Kynaeus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    That's true, thanks. I got confused by people calling it a "Jedi Tunic" and a "Jedi Robe"! =X Where is this guide?

23. debbie_l_g

debbie_l_g Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2003
    Wonderful Kotor costume. Did you use a certain pattern?

I myself would love to make one of the blue Jedi robes from Kotor but first, I need to finish my son's Obi-Wan costume and cape. I still can't find enough pics from the game on the blue robes to suit my curiousity on construction.

:)

24. Jedi_Knight_Mikias

Jedi_Knight_Mikias Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    If you still want, I can get you lots of pictures, maybe even a pattern. i personally know Ray Muzyak( Bio-ware Co-owner) and can probably get stuff off of him.

25. Kynaeus

Kynaeus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Yes please do, I definitely want the blue variation of the robe for Halloween!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.