main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO KOTOR/KOTOR II Replayers Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't know if anyone else here is like this, but when I play video games it is a Star Wars game at least 90% of the time. I'm an old school gamer at heart so I still play games like all the NES and SNES Star Wars games, Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Enemy, the original Dark Forces on a regular basis and I have a ton of games for NES and SNES, but the with the newer systems (and by newer I mean Gamecube, Wii, and X Box) I basically just have collections of all the Star Wars games for each system.

I actually just got an X Box (not a 360, an X Box) a year or two ago, and I don't think more than a month has gone by without playing one of the Battlefronts or one of the KOTOR's.

So I'm making this thread for any fellow Star Wars gamers to discuss KOTOR and KOTOR II as you replay it, assuming I'm not the only one who replays Star Wars games a million times over. (I've had Rebel Assault II since I was a kid and I still replay it and love it!) I've been through both games as both dark side and light side (though I still never put in the time to beat Kraya on light side in KOTOR II), and I'm like 2/3 through KOTOR as light side for the second time right now.

First time through both games I was dark side and did as little talking as possible, so I did basically no side-quests, just each planet once in a sequence. I talked to a couple people in my party next time as light side because of options people had told me about, but this is the first time I'm talking to everyone as much as possible to find everything.

So I'm just doing the full mission with Mission's brother, saw Juhani's old friend/boyfriend, saw Carth's son, and some other stuff I think is pretty cool all for the first time now. I can't believe I'm playing this game for the third time and it's still like an all-new game. The dark side choices are pretty easy and straightforward, but on light side you get put in conundrums with no perfect options sometimes which makes it even interesting, although of course it's also a blast to pick all the dark side options and use the highest level Force lightning with maxed out dark side points on everything.

So anyway, before I ramble too much longer in my first post, if anyone else is replaying KOTOR or KOTOR II please tell us about it, and of course anyone who just wants to talk about with us while we play is welcome to join in.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I play KotOR (and most Star Wars games I have) at least once a year.

It's a bit late now, but I would have recommended you to buy the PC versions of both KotOR and Battlefront since they are the best ones when compared to the Xbox.

Thomo93 likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I enjoy replaying them from time to time, in fact I'm replaying Kotor at this very moment. Unfortunately my xbox has packed up (the disc tray no longer opens) so I've had to use my xbox 360. It froze after destroying the sith fighters just before you get to the Rakata planet, fortunately I reloaded it a few times 5 or 6 I think and it worked it out, But now I have another problem in that just as I get to the temple and the Rakata are doing the ritual Jolee turns up and says " you can't go in there alone" and when I press my response it doesn't register it, the question disappears from the top of the screen and nothing happens I can still move up and down between the answers but it never responds. It's happened probably about a dozen times now, I've tried reloading, waiting a few minutes then answering, I've even switched off waited a couple of hours then tried again and nothing. So it looks like I'm going to have to go without playing them again which is a shame. I might try just playing Kotor2 and see what happens, but I wont rise my hopes.

4. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm on my 5th or 6th playthrough now, and I've had the game for less then a year. [face_laugh] (I got it as part of the "Best of PC" pack.)
    I'd started a new file about a month ago, but an evil thing called 'schoolwork' came up, and it was abandoned. Upon reopening it, I decided I had made some incredibly stupid decisions and started over.
    I'm taking this one slower, just playing in the evenings, and I just reached Dantooine.
    Each time I play, I'm always like 'this time I'm going to do every single sidequest that I can!'-and I never do. But it's always an excuse to play again!
    I've never even played fully darkside. I've tried, and the idea of blasting everyone with Force lightning is certainly appealing, but I couldn't stand being such a jerk to everyone I met. [face_laugh] I might do a save right before the temple summit, just to see the ending, but then I'll reload and probably be a maxed-out lightsider again. O:)

5. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I've just finished replaying KotOR for the first time in over five years and have started a replay of TSL. KotOR was just as good as I remembered.
    I'm only on Telos, so the restoration mod content hasn't started coming up yet, but the Early Lightsaber mod has already made Peragus less of a slog.

6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I've been replaying KOTOR and KOTOR 2 TSL on PC now that I downloaded the Restored content mod. The Revan twist in KOTOR 1 was amazing and is one of the most memorable moments in gaming. HK-47 also stands out as my second favorite companion in a Bioware game, beaten only by Mordin Solus of Mass Effect 2.

7. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    are there any bugs if i played these on a xbox 360?

8. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Read my post.

I think the main one's are the battle music cuts out (when you see an opponent then start fighting), It freezes in battle as well (Slows down for about 10-15 seconds or sometimes longer making it difficult to fight). Those where the only problems I ran into playing Kotor2, But playing Kotor was the same until I got to the Rakata beach planet it froze after fighting the Sith fighters (But after reloading a few times it sorted itself out), But I then got to outside the Temple where the Rakata perform the ritual to let you in and it crashes every time, it won't let me get any further so I've given up playing it. Those where the only problems I got anyway.

9. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

thanks. i wish ms would just remaster them and re release them digitaly that way everyone wouldnt have such issues

10. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I've played through KOTOR about 5 times now. One straight light-side female, one straight dark-side male, ls male, ds female, and one where I wasn't aiming to be one side or another.

I love flirting with Carth. It's possibly the most awkward exchange I've ever gone through in a game.

Does anyone else do the romance subplots?

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It was always glitchy for my PC sadly.

12. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I love playing the Bastila romance sub-plot especially on my dark side playthroughs. Jennifer Hale does a great job playing Evil! Bastila. I also love how HK47 mocks the romance sub-plots in KOTOR 2 in what is defiantly one of the funniest HK47 moments.

13. lbr789

Jan 27, 2013
    I do the romance subplots about half the time, they're hilarious. :D

14. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    I've still never played through KOTOR 2. I'm glad they still have HK 47. He and Canderous were the best. :D

15. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    HK47 and Canderous were my 2 favorite companions in KOTOR. Thankfully both Canderous and HK47 both come back as companions for KOTOR 2, and naturally they are the funniest team mates for the second game in a row.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  16. lbr789

Jan 27, 2013
    This thread is reminding me . . . I need to actually play the second game at some point.

17. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    After a point I think Juhani and Jolee were my go-to tail-kicking squad in KoTOR I. Once I had the builds and the tactics right the three of us just carved right through the Star Forge. KoTOR II in my opinion did a better job of making most if not all of the squadmates good combatants, and not just because most of them could be trained as Jedi - Canderous and HK-47 could do Very Bad Things with the kind of pimped-out BFGs available. Atton saw as much action as a pistolero as he did with lightsabers, and Mira aced her share of Sith with a blaster rifle and rocketry. And then of course you had T3 with his lone standoff against three HK-50s. Winsauce.

18. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Canderous and Bastila where my go to guys in Kotor, every once in a while I'd swap Bastila with Jolee only because Jolee was the funnier. I loved Mission as well, but I never really used her because she wasn't great in combat. Kotor2 Mandalore and either Mira or Brianna. I just found that with the main characters lightsaber skills along with someone with good force powers and someone good from long range was the best combo in the games, especially against the tougher opponents. The truth is of course is that the side players didn't really matter that much because the exile and revan pretty much had it covered.

19. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    HK 47 and Canderous were my favorites as far as conversation. Jolee was pretty good too, especially that one conversation you have with him about that guy with a great destiny.

I hate you, old man...[face_devil]

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I've played KotOR three times, but I've never really deviated from light side male except for a save at the temple to see the dark side ending. I usually went with Carth and Bastila just because of story purposes, but I'd also use Canderous and Jolee fairly often. I almost never used the droids, Juhani Mission, or Zaalbar, except when it made sense for the plot (Zaalbar for Kashyyyk and so on). I didn't dislike them; I just didn't find them as interesting overall, so I usually just talked to them on the ship. I've only played TSL once, as a light side female (I'm a guy but well, canon demands it, of course), so I've never gotten Brianna. I would have played it again except I had some severe text-skipping glitches on Onderon that messed up the entire climax of that arc (I could play through it but didn't get the story! :_|).

I would love to play them again, but they haven't worked on the Windows 7 I got last December, and I'm frankly not computer savvy enough to understand the solutions I've found online.:( I did play TOR for a bit in free-to-play as a Jedi Sage, but I stopped around level 24 or 25. I intend to get back to it eventually because it really was a very good story, and eventually play some of the other classes too.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You should be able to try them with compatibility on. I'm running a solitaire program that I first ran under Win 95 fine under Win 7. There are a few minor glitches but it does work. There's a simple 'For Dummies' article on doing this here.

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Just wondering, does anyone here have any experience using the KOTOR Tool program to edit stuff in the game? I wanted to be able to tweak certain items in order to change their appearance, or change the cost so I can make a lot of money quickly, or change the stats of Calrissian's Utility Belt so that I'll never have to worry about not having enough repair skill to fix HK-47. However, whenever I make changes and save the relevant files, I find that when I open them up again they've gone right back to their default values... *shakes fist*​

23. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
  24. lbr789

Jan 27, 2013
    I just did the Star Forge solo last night. I admit, it was a relief to just be able to focus on myself and not worry about my party members running halfway across the map to attack three Dark Jedi by themselves.

25. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I found the replays rewarding for both games. KotOR I have replayed in the dozens if not more, Jolee Bindo is my favorite character in that game. KotOR 2, I have replayed a couple of dozen times, and it flashes out your companions back stories real well compared to the first game, where your crewmembers are real interesting. I agree that Canderous and HK-47 are more evil in the sequel, and HK-47 had more humorous and sarcastic lines in the sequel.