main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR or Jedi Academy

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Are these sorts of threads permitted? If not, please close it.

Just wanted to know, with Jedi Academy and KOTOR both out this year, and with game advances as they are nowadays, which is the better game? I know the playing style seems to be different, but both are superb games, and I'm on the verge of acquiring one or the other! Just wanted to get a feel for feedback.

Thanks.

2. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I'm not sure which is better, but I plan on getting both.

3. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Depends on what kind of game you want. Do you want a good, immersive Star Wars game or a decent action game with some lightsabers?

4. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    KOTOR is one of hte best RPG's ever made in my opinion, as well as one of the best SW games ever. The storyline and the experience of playing that game was just so fufilling I can't put it to words.

5. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Neither one of them was "better." It's up to the player to decide. I, personally, like JA more in the long run, because it has an MP mode that I can play over and over and download new stuff all the time, whereas KOTOR only has so many ways you can play it. But KOTOR is a darn sight more immersive than JA.

6. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Why not get KoToR first, which should last the average person until they have enough cash to get Jedi Academy.

If you are an X-box gamer just get KoToR, because Academy on the console won't measure up to the PC version. If you are a PC gamer, then Academy has the option of models/maps/skins etc.

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    It also comes down to what type of game you like to play. Single player or multiplayer... but from what I've gathered JA was not all what it was cracked up to be and I would say go for KOTOR, then get JA at a later date when you have some more $ and the price drops on it anyway. :)

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Well, I've got Jedi Outcast, which was thrilling to play. Jedi Academy really just offers more decision making and customisation, along with new lightsabers.

It'd be fun, I'm sure, but I've never played an RPG unless Zelda counts as one! I've also never played a game with KOTOR's way of fighting, to assign actions and watch it done. Intriguing . . . I think I'm hedging on Knights. The trailers look cool.

9. Stormtrooper-dude

Stormtrooper-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    I agree with alpha_red. It's up to you. I personally loved KOTOR!

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, JA was a good game. However, its basically Outcast...with more sabers, and a few extra things. Graphically the same also.

I just got KotOR for my PC last night. It was the first time in awhile when I started playing, then looked up at the clock, and was like "@#%@, its 2am!" After one night, I love KotOR, and highly recommend it over JA.

11. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    They are both good games, kotor is very very in depth but I found it easy even on hard.

12. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    I chose both :)

If you like FPS and want to control each saber swing, and so on, the JA is for you. If you like RPG elements and want a completely immersive world, the KOTOR is great. I love and play both because they each provide me with vastly different things. So really it comes down to personal preferences.

What I suggest is that if you really are only going to get one right now, I would get JA. The reason being that it is still relatively new and lots of people are playing multiplayer, but these numbers will dwindle over time. So getting it now allows you to have lots of people to play with. Not to mention the fun of JA SP. You could put off getting KOTOR until it is cheaper, because it is SP only and so it doesn't matter when you get it.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like KotOR a lot more than Jedi Academy. I think JA is a piece of crap.

14. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I haven't played either of them yet. :(
    I'm gonna get KOTOR for the PC soon.

15. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    So which one should I ask for, for christmas? I have played JK: JO already. As for RPG, I'm not too sure I'm familiar the concept. Will that hinder me in playing KOTOR(RPG right)? I'm honestly thinking of going with JK: JA

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think both games have their virtues and their flaws. Indeed, there's only so many ways to play KOTOR, but it's an immersive experience each time. As for JA, I don't think I could replay the single player game again because, well, I found it somewhat boring, lacking and the story wasn't as immersive as Jedi Outcast's. However, the one redeeming value about JA it its multiplayer. I call JA's multiplayer a glorified, Raven-created stand-alone mod for Jedi Outcast, but oh boy it's so much fun. Especially the vehicle driving and the siege maps.

So in all, both games are worthy of parting your from your hard-earned though. Ultimately, I'd say KOTOR's the better game, despite the fact that JA kicks its butt in other aspects.

17. Jedi_Jason5001

Nov 30, 2001
    What exactly are thos aspects? Can they be named?

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    KOTOR, and I've not even played it. Academy was a disappointment. I prefer Outcast over it.

¤Night

19. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I've played both JA and KOTOR on the PC.

KOTOR is the superior game, by far. Jedi Academy is more like an expansion disk of Jedi outcast.

Furthermore, I find the JA plot to be kind of stupid. I can't say what I find stupid exactly, since it would be a spoiler.

20. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    JA *was* a major disapointment, especially if you've played JO. JO was fun because it was so different, the gameplay so much more detailed and enjoyable than JK, so that was a novel expereince. But JA is identical to JO in every way, with a really lame plot. I am still desperately trying to justify spending $50 on it. :confused:

I want KotoR really bad, am gonna get it for Christmas prolly. :)

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, the "aspects" I speak of is the multiplayer game, which KOTOR lacks. Like in KOTOR, you can customize your player skin -- though, just like in KOTOR, I wish you'd been given a lot more variety to the species/faces you could give your character -- saber color, type or number of sabers you can weild and even the look of their handles. Saber dueling with double sabers or lightstaffs -- or even with single sabers using the new moves/katas -- is simply awesome, and you'll definitely want to hone your skills when going up against anyone else on the 'Net.

Again, though, JA's multiplayer is basically a "done-right-by-Raven" modded JO multiplayer. You still need to have a broadband or nearly-lag-free connection to properly enjoy online play. Some might find JO's original multiplayer maps better than JA's and I can't disagree. However, it's hard to argue the coolness of vehicle driving, the siege maps and the new saber types and moves. And of course, there's the "hands-on" saber combat that KOTOR doesn't give you, where victory is decided by skill, not by random dice rolls. ;)

22. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I agree with Darth Invidious.

KOTOR could have had a multiplayer module. Bioware did great with NWN, after all. Plus it would offer something different to those who were thoroughly disappointed with SWG.

23. Jedi_Jason5001

Nov 30, 2001
    Is multiplayer THAT big of a deal when it comes to SW gaming, or gaming in general? Does it always have to be part of the package?

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jedi Academy is more like an expansion disk of Jedi outcast.

That's exactly why I hate it.

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Wow, so much feedback. This great, and appreciated!

I was totally blown away by Outcast: the plot, Lando, ceaseless stormtrooper chatting, so many and varied EU reference material, and the stunning game and cinematic graphics. I gather that Academy is just more of it, with new saber styles, the way Dark Empire 2 was to Dark Empire 1.

I'm leaning on KOTOR, simply because I've never played a game like that. I'm interested on seeing how characters fight without your direct control. Odd, but intriguing. By Monday I will have gotten one of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.