main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga KOTOR: Should it be canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Formidious, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Should KOTOR be reintroduced to canon?

1. Yes, they were brilliant!

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No, I hated them!

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Impartial (apathy is death!)

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Actually cortosis (which stops swords from be sliced by lightsabers in kotor) is canon again already.

Nobody has any idea of how long technology could take to advance once it reaches such a high level. You cannot compare it to our own technological development.

KotorII has one of the deepest, thought provoking storylines of any star wars media. Yes it requires the restoration mod to make sense of certain parts of the story, so maybe some people did misunderstand what was happening.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You were the one who asked if KotOR should be canon, and that includes metal swords holding up against lightsabers.

Your point?

What he did in the game as far as the Force, character feats and story goes.

Yes, in opposite land that would be true.

So the lightsabers are cheapened already in the new EU? So much for that canon reset.

Sorry, I'm not going to pretend that virtually nothing changed in thousands of years in the Star Wars galaxy. Besides, I'm comparing the lack of creativity and laziness that is to go back thousands of years to have creative freedom for the story and being able to bring the "cool toys" from the movies at the same time.

Ha! Right...

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not yet - because Newcanon Cortosis wasn't used as a counter to lightsabers - but as conductive armour:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cortosis

Emperor Ferus, Huttese 101 and Alexrd like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Why does Cortosis cheapen sabers? Mando Iron & "cattle prods" stop Sabers already.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because, as it was used in KotOR, made the lightsaber less special considering that swords could hold their own against them. KotOR swords are for all intents and purposes mere regular swords (a ridiculous weapon for the average Joe in a galaxy of laser bolts).

Lucas, when creating the electrostaffs as resistant to lightsabers, made it a priority to establish them as rare, unique and visually distinctive weapons.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke's saber bounces off the DS2's railings. It's only that last massive blow that cuts through both railing and Vader's wrist.

7. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Its a game mechanic. In fact Kotor weakened cortosis, it didn't cause lightsabers to turn off like it did in other media before and after Kotor. The alternative would have been always having enemies stick with their blasters, even when you get up right in their face with your lightsaber, and have their armour just tank your blows. Switching to vibroswords makes the fight more cinematic.
    Its true that guns where underpowered in the first game, but you could upgrade some beastly blasters in kotorII.

8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

KOTOR took place thousands of years before the films. It could easily be argued that the sabers in KOTOR are more primitive and aren't the exact same as the sabers we see in the films. And, in a game,

Also, KOTOR made the sabers less special? I think the EU and PT already did that long before KOTOR was released.

I wouldn't exactly call the magnaguard staffs unique or rare when they're a weapon given to a mass produced droid during a war. That makes them about as rare or unique as the blasters the battle droids used.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They were only seen to be mass produced in TCW.

In ROTS, they are exclusively used by the bodyguards of Grievous, a known coward who fights with Jedi often.

Even in TCW, Magnaguards are still only used by Dooku, Grievous, or on special missions for them.

SYNCHRONIC and Darth Formidious like this.
  10. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Yes, and the magnaguards still appear to be mass produced droids. Thus, the staff they use must be mass produced as well.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  11. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Alexrd, KOTOR was one of the most breathtaking and thrilling Star Wars storylines. The quality of the narrative was impeccable, lets compare a snippet of KOTOR II with the PT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm not one who wishes to see KOTOR become canon, but both of the games were great. The writing was excellent, and the characters were extremely memorable. I particularly liked HK-47 and his personality.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    doesn't bother me, as the viewer I choose myself what is canon and what is not.

So since I find no annoyances or contradictions from the movies in KOTOR, I'd say "sure, it's canon to me...why not?"

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm all for the masks of Revan and Nihilus being canon.

Interestingly, at one point Nihilus's mask was intended to be Revan's skull. I wonder if they should have went with that.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, they are the same and are meant to be the same.

How exactly did the PT made the lightsabers less special?

The EU? Sure, I don't doubt that. KotOR being part of it as well.

Grievous' bodyguards aren't mass produced.

No.

Right...

I'm sorry, is your cheap attempt of cherry picking shots and dialogue that are not only completely unrelated but have very different purposes supposed to prove a point? What exactly is so special about that KotOR screenshot? What's your point with that joke of a "comparison"?

16. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    Alexrd, I may be wrong but it seems like you're actually offended. Don't worry, I understand, you've released that KOTOR is better than the prequels [face_mischief]. To answer your questions, I was actually comparing the dialogue. Try and find me some dialogue from KOTOR that is anywhere near the dire quality of the one I showed and you will fail; the dialogue in this superb narrative is of the highest standard.

That screenshot isn't special, in fact, it's very normal of KOTOR and it shows the high calibre of the story line. The implications of what the character is saying is unrivalled, she is portraying an unconventional ethical dilemma, one that challenges the player as well as other characters.

The point is to show how KOTOR (a storyline you have came here insulting) is a brilliant game and outclasses the prequels from point of view.

Besides, it's such a fallible thing to insult Avellone on not understanding the dynamics of the Star Wars saga when George Lucas helped design a lot of it and provided guidance.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Alexrd Darth Formidious Both of you seem to be making the mistake of thinking that you're objectively right.

18. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    No, no and no. I don't hate it, but it's not canon.

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

That sounds like a Kreia sentence lol.

20. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001

Also, Rey's saber more or less bounces off of Kylo Ren's face, leaving him a scar but not slicing half of his face off. :p By all rights, he should be looking like Darth Malak.

Huttese 101, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    LOL, I can actually see it being something she says! [face_laugh]

22. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    By having everyone use them every five minutes. The lightsabers being made less interesting may have been a problem of the EU, but I feel it really started with the PT.

TCW would beg to differ.

Yes.

Different opinions....

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not at all, I'm well aware of the subjectivity of it. I'm trying to make him realize that by playing his own game.

24. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    And here I was thinking we were two knowledgeable Star Wars fans having a debate...

I'm also aware of the subjectivity, that's why it's a poll and an open question!

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, yeah, God forbid we start seeing more lightsabers in the era in which the Jedi were NUMEROUS AND ACTIVE in open warfare. Again, there are many things wrong with the PT but this is one of those criticisms that people like to pull out of their ass.