main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I thought Bastila was whiny, the Exile was too obsessed with Revan, Revan himself was fairly cringeworthy, and I hated the abrupt gap where the book skips over KOTOR 2. Darth Nyriss and the Sith Emperor were my favorite parts. Also, my library only had the audiobook version and the reader was not the best, which certainly didn't help.

Honestly, I personally think Revan should have either had no canon gender (to preserve the mystery of Revan/ the game's idea that the player character IS Revan) or should have been female (to play with assumptions/have a female Sith Lord with armor). I was willing to give the book a chance, had low expectations for it, and I was still disappointed.

2. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I am also of the opinion that the Exile was, to use the gaming term, nerfed, very badly, she can't face Nyriss down, but can face down some of the most threatening Sith that ever lived, the novel therefore states that Nyriss, using a > b, so a > c logic, could defeat all the inhabitants of the Triumvirate, kill Sion and then kill Traya single handedly.

Despite the fact it appears that the Exile was more powerful than Zez-Kai Ell, Vrook Lamar and Kavar, considering she could defeat Traya where the three of them combined could not, Nyriss is still head and shoulders above the Exile and Lord Scourge combined, yet Gary Su- I mean Revan just stands up and goes IMA FIRIN MA LAZOR *blargh* and one hits her.

The novel very much felt to me like Drew Karpyshyn rubbing in as hard as he could that his game and characters were better than Chris Avellone's, at the expense of any previously established canon of the characters, especially the Exile.

She only ever used her lightsaber despite the fact it's been established she has exceptional force powers, anyone care to tell me where the logic is there?

Regardless, the novel was almost TCW level of a rewrite of the entire era, imo.

tjace likes this.
  3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    That's why I tend to ignore that book whenever I do anything involving that era (fanfic or otherwise). I like the Exile thank you very much.

tjace likes this.
  4. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Revan was well established as being male many years before the novel (I think that he was mentioned as a male sometimes during KOTOR comics). The Exile was going to help Revan to stop that things, and she was one of the few persons who could have done it. Just saving the Republic, and having Revan as a friend and mentor it was normal what she did.

Exile wasn't the Exile of the game in that book. I like her very much and was a bit disappointing with her duel against Nyriss. But on the other side, Nyriss very likely was the most powerful Sith after the Emperor and she probably could have defeated Sion and Kreia (though not Nihilius). Exile after she defeated the Sith Triumvate I think wasn't the hole on the force anymore, and so others could have fight in same terms against her. But yeah, I think that she shouldn't lose the battle.

That is the worst part of the book and to be fair the only part I didn't like. Probably she should have defeated if Nyriss had some help from other Sith and then show Revan as an even bigger badass, but not being defeated in a single duel against Nyriss when she had the Scourge help.

Liked the other parts of the duel very much. Liked that Revan was defeated (although he is still my favorite Jedi in the entire Star Wars) and the book showed that a combination of Revan and Exile could have defeated Vititate, if Scourge didn't betray them. Probably I don't like that much the part that now Jedi Knight of TOR seems to be stronger than Revan, and Revan should have been the most powerful Jedi of that era but still liked the book very much, but would have liked the Exile duel with Nyriss to be a little different.

5. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Exar Kun was WAY beyond Darth Nyriss so no, she was not probably the second most powerful after the emperor, Traya was very powerful, not to mention a master manipulator and Sion basically can't die(it was the love he had for the Exile that allowed his death), also nothing is mentioned that suggests she is no longer a wound in the force, as a matter of fact, Drew instead decides that the Exile is nothing special whatsoever despite every known source stating the opposite.

Revan doesn't need some over the top, i'm bad ass moments in the book, it isn't his power that should be the centre of his character, it should be his symbolism, mystery and genius, three things he lacked completely in any of his appearances in the new material.

Also, Revan is hardly the most powerful of the era, in-fact he isn't close, Exar Kun for one was far beyond the Revanchist and this is not only suggested multiple times even in the game he himself stars in, but also in the rest of the canon.

6. -Remi-

-Remi- Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 8, 2007
    Beat KOTOR, but not number 2......I'll have to remedy that. :p

7. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Jabari and -Remi- like this.
  8. -Remi-

-Remi- Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 8, 2007
    I shall. :D

9. Jabari

Jun 25, 2007
    Yes, and I always thought Revan being male was a bad idea (or at least, an unoriginal idea. They went the boring 'safe' route. Because the fictional/video game world needs so many more dark haired white males, you know :rolleyes: ). I was willing to let the book try and convince me why Revan should be male (I've never read the comics but I did hear about it at the time) and if anything it just convinced me of what a terrible idea it was. *see below

Exile's actions are relevant to the plot, yes...but my issue is more with how she (and Bastila) were written. Now, this may have been enhanced because the actor reading the audiobook did a stupid breathy voice for all female characters, but the whole book made me feel like the author was going "EHRg all you wimmins are here so Revan can do the stuff!" Game Bastila may have been sanctimonious sometimes, but always competent in a fight. Book Bastila is kind of "oh darling, I'll just stay here and be helplessly pregnant while you go off and save the galaxy". And the Exile's relationship to Revan borders on "teen girl crush", not "army hero worship". Because, woman. Heck, Bastila is jealous of their completely platonic professional relationship. Again because, woman. Honestly, I felt like Nyriss was the only female character to be written like an actual person.

Yeah, this. The logic seems to be "she's not my favorite Gary Stu the glorious Revan, so meh."

Pretty much this, though I would add that no game character in the book acted anything like in the game at all. Except possibly Canderous. Which is kind of a problem when you're writing established characters.

I'm not a huge fan of Drew Karpyshyn, but personally I think this may be his worst book yet. If you liked it, good for you though. Everyone has different tastes.

* a footnote as to why I think female Revan is better if Revan must have a canon gender, for explanation. Think about the character possibilities of this: Revan is not just someone in cool armor. Revan is like Batman in Batman Begins, or the Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride: Revan is creating a persona, a symbol of power and mystery and fear. Nobody (except presumably the Jedi Council) knows what Revan actually looks like - s/he can walk around the universe completely anonymously if s/he chooses. That's intimidating, and powerful. Would you assume that the most powerful Jedi/Sith Lord in the galaxy was actually a average woman? Probably not. I certainly didn't expect the Big Bad Sith Lord Revan to be a woman (let alone the player character!) when I played the game the first time, and it was a very powerful reveal for me.
    There are so many places you can go from that idea, and do something new with it. The average American reader would expect Revan to be a white guy. So don't do the expected.

10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    That has always been a problem for me with the books as well, why white male and human? Even other games started with be anything more like TOR, but the novelization of that character years later? White. Male. Dark hair/brown. Human. When did these four categories become a must for a hero in star wars beyond Luke Skywalker's family? *Rant. Rant. Rant.*

Whelp, my computer cannot handle KotOR right now, overheating issues if I use the CD player. :oops: Anyway. . .I reread the booklet from the game and it was not counselor that I could never use, it was scoundrel. Where you are supposed to survive with a high charisma.

Jabari and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  11. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Exar Kun didn't live at the same time when Kotor stories did happened. There is absolutely no way to know that he was more powerful than Darth Nyriss, we can only make some estimation that aren't based on that much. For a start, Nyriss and Kun never did duel the same person.

The Revanchist was the most powerful Jedi on the Jedi Order at the start of Mandalorian Wars. He almost destroyed the Republic and very likely would have done that if he wasn't betrayed by Malak. While he was a great strategist and general (possibly second only to Grand Admiral Thrawn in the entire Star Wars) he was also the most powerful Jedi/Sith in the known space. He should had his badass moments in his own book, and rightly he had them by easily defeating Nyriss and given the first challenge in a thousand years to Vititate. But I agree with you that he should have had other elements that go with him. He acted a bit like retard and was easily imprisoned by Nariss and then fooled by Vititate's guards (again). One of the best strategists of all time, didn't act that much smart.

Where does that has been suggested in the game? Very likely Exar Kun was more strongly in brut force but still that doesn't mean that he was stronger than Revan, or that much stronger (remember Anakin vs Obi, though totally different circumstances ). Also, in the end that's irrelevant cause they didn't live at the same time, in fact Revan was 2 years old when Kun died.

12. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    You said entire era, which is the entirety of the Old Sith Wars and then some right up until the Second great galactic war if you want to compare him to the Jedi Knight, Revan is not the most powerful at all, that's simply belief not truth, both the Rodian at Yavin IV and Jolee Bindo themselves stated that Kun and Qel-Droma were far worse than Revan and Malak were, not to mention in KotOR 2, when Freedon Nadd is mentioned as being far stronger than Revan and Malak were, then they later state that the even more powerful Sith Exar Kun destroyed Nadd,

Kun is commonly stated as the most powerful force user to come out of the Old Sith Wars, (Which does not include the GGW).

Even comparing factual abilities, Kun cleanly comes out on top.

Again, just because revan has his fanboys doesn't mean he has to have completely irrelevant 'I'm OP moments' that was never the point of his character, if it was, he'd be entirely insignificant by other characters in the Star Wars EU, Revan doesn't stand out for power, he stands out for the symbol he once was.

13. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    On another note...

I've noticed that the perfect set-up for a Sith Inquisitor is to choose an alien species as your character. It suits the situation perfectly, as alien races are many times used as slaves in the SW universe and are commonly judged and treated badly. That's why I'm starting a new playthrough as Inquisitor as a Cathar.

My Jugg is now level 35 and officially a Sith Lord. =D=

Rebecca_Daniels you were right about the romance. Things have started to move.

I've chosen Jaesa as my love interest. I loved the whole "turning her to the dark side" side of it, and Carr's death. You should really play your way through the Warrior storyline, it's quite good.

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I've had trouble getting into any of the Sith/Jedi storylines - I'm sure they're fantastic down the line but I've always preferred non-Force users. Focusing on hitting level 50 with my Trooper (so close, level 48 and a half and barely started on Corellia!) of course, that has to wait a few days as apparently my deadlines were moved up from 'due in 11 days' to 'due in 3 days'. I've tried out every basic class to at least the capital world - my Inquisitor is a Mirialan, as it happens, and I liked how that worked too as an alien - but I've only gone further with Agent, Hunter, Smuggler, and Consular. Though Warrior class is the one with Malavai Quinn... hmm...

I've gone and looked at all the possible romances and there are definitely some that I will not be choosing, though that story sounds interesting - might be interesting to try a male Warrior to see how that goes :p

Also once you're officially together, the companion starts sending you messages with little gifts and it's hilarious. Or at least Jorgan does and I would totally take him out on a date if I could. Lots of people don't like him or his romance storyline but I do, I guess he's just my kind of guy :p

15. Jabari

Jun 25, 2007
    I am fully convinced this is the reason there are so many alternate universe fanfics with genderswapped heroes - people are aching for female heroes and/or something different than the tired old standards. I mean, we know that humans of all races and hundreds of fantastic alien species exist in the Star Wars universe, and yet...why does "Our Hero" always look the same?

And I maintain that in Revan's case (and to a lesser extent Jaden Korr from Jedi Academy, who will always be a female Twi'lek in my mind), the records are damaged. :)

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I do like that view, the holocron was damaged, we are seeing the data preservation preset gap filler for body composition ;) Also, Jaden Cor will always be a Rodian in my mind :p

Jabari likes this.
  17. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Is anyone playing on Jedi Covenant that could help a noob out.:p

18. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I suppose I could brush off my level 50 Consular or Agent and lend a hand >.> Pretty sure my characters have been moved there after the server merges.

19. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I am!

...But what are you? Empire or Republic?

20. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    It's interesting, as I read through the SWTOR threads it seems the majority of you all are on Jedi Covenant server. After the merges, I found myself on Shadowlands. Did most of you transfer to Jedi Covenant or just happen to get placed there? I have been playing Republic since beta, and have a lvl 50 Sentinel. Absolutely love the storyline. Went full light with him, even going as far as to deny all flirting situations. Thinking of either trying a Dark Jedi Chiss, or going Sith and rolling an Inquisitor.

21. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Go Pureblood Sith. Or Cathar. Choosing an alien species for the Inquisitor is a perfect fit.

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    That was actually one of the reasons I'm not on that server... it seemed busy. Also I wanted the west coast server since that's where I'll be when I'm back home. Maybe I'll start something on that server so we can hang out, though... but later.

23. Jae-Dec

May 20, 2013
    Oh it will definitely be an alien species. Human characters get boring real quick. My Sentinel is a Zabrak and looks really cool. Haven't really looked at the Cathar yet, might have to do that tonight.

24. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Yeah, but Pureblood Sith, Chiss and I think Zabrak aren't considered alien species in the Empire.

Alien would be something like Twi'lek, Cathar or Mirilian (sp?). With these species the other Sith actually recognize you as an alien, which goes well with the being-a-slave-fighting-your-way-to-the-top Inquisitor story line, as many alien species are used as slaves.

I'm starting off with an Inquisitor Cathar, actually.

25. Jae-Dec

May 20, 2013
    Interesting... I will definitely keep that in mind when I build the character.