main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Personally, I still liked ME3, and I didn't really feel the ending was all that bad. However, I do feel it should have been more fleshed out, and longer. I take no issues with the choices they gave you, but it just felt lazy how it played out.

I just finished DA2 after stopping in Act 3 waaaay back when it came out because I was so bored. After having given it a few years to wear off, I enjoyed the playthrough this time, although it is about 1% of the game DAO was. And the ending was terrible. (Bioware just can't make a good ending I guess).

I hope for Inquisition they bring back the Warden and bring the story back a little closer to DAO. That was such a phenomenal game, and I'd really rather play my Warden again...and Alistair...oh how I miss thee..

2. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    98% of ME3 was a pretty superb game: it was that last, five minute 2% that kind of ruined the whole experience and left me bitter about it. And it is a struggle at times for me to remember that, before those last five minutes of the game, I had been enjoying myself in a way that I hadn't in a long time.

However, it was also the first time that, as the credits rolled, I found myself staring at my TV screen as I tried to figure out just what the hell just occurred. My brother, who had beaten the game before me, had come into my room and asked what I thought and I just looked at him blankly and replied, "Uh...disappointed I guess? But mostly...lost?" Admittedly, had I gotten the extended ending first instead of the original, I would not have gone into the fit of rage that I found myself in the next day once I managed to gather my thoughts and realize what a terrible ending I was a given. Still, I found the ending to be a sign of the influence that EA usually exhibits: that is to buy a gaming company and get them to keep sending out their games until they get stale and lifeless and commonly leaving you with an unfinished, unpolished ending like the one I saw in ME3.

DA2 I found to be inferior to Origins in every way possible except the combat as I thought the more action-packed feel of combat was a nice new way to go in RPGs. But other then that the story, characters, and setting was just all-around blargh. You were thrust from being a Grey Warden that would go on to halt the Blight and defeat the Archdemon to Kirkwall's city janitor. I mean such a setting can be jarring but can be overcome if you got the other aspects of a good game strong enough to overcome it. That said, DA2 did not have that. The overall "plot" and story of DA2 was full of forgettable plot points (specifically the entire thing with the Qunari) and quite bland and uncaring main conflict (the Templars vs Mages). Despite me usually playing the pinnacle of paragonness, anti-oppressive regimes, DA2 was the first game where I got a clear-cut example that the system WORKS. Which was quite frustrating during my first playthrough since, as my character was a mage as well, I tried to defend the mages but then I have Anders blowing up Chantries and having my character's mother being taken apart and pieced back together by an insane mage.

What actually made me snap was near the end with Orsino where I thought they were a pretty cool guy and then he went insane and turned into a monster. I was so tempted to just say "to Hell with the mages" and just reload so I could just slaughter them all.

Your companion characters were also similarly inferior with a bunch of them tending to be more of the depressive, brooding types that you just happen to know; a stark contrast to your companions in Origins where - between the grandmotherly Wynne, the disgraced Sten who finds you to be his only hope to regain his honor, the brotherly Alistair, the lovely and cheerful Leliana, the tipsy but steadfast Oghren - you had a close, tight-knit group that you really cared about.

This is all my personal opinion of course but between DA2 and how ME3's ending has turned out, I've kind of find myself drifting further and further away from Bioware. Whereas I had been at the edge of my seat, waiting to hear more about the next fantastic game they have in the works, I've just become apathetic now.

3. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    I agree, it's so disappointing the direction Bioware has gone...they used to be a bastion of hope in the RPG world - everything they produced was gold. It's just sad...and I've always hated EA, I was so upset the day I read they purchased Bioware. Like you said 98% of ME3 was good, so I thought maybe there's still a chance, but DA2 was pretty awful. Everything you described was dead on. I sided with the mages too, but I did play the templar ending and it's the same exact ending as the mages. I was okay with what Anders did, because I played a mage in both DAO and DA2, so I sort of really identify with the plight the mages feel - the chantry is evil, and commands the templars. Dealing such a blow to them was really an epic rebel move, but yeah, kind of dickish.

4. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Indeedz. KOTOR, ME2, and DA Origins was pretty much the pinnacle of Bioware supremacy and where people claimed that they could do no wrong........but then it was all downhill from there :_|

Of course, in a completely hypocritical move, I decided to give in to a dose of Star Wars by resubbing in TOR and buying Rise of the Hutt Cartel. A moment of weakness.... Of course, when I tried to purchase and resub, my power went off in my house. Twice. I hope those weren't signs that I shouldn't have done it [face_nail_biting]

VanishingReality likes this.
  5. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    I did the same thing. I've been enjoying it, though. It wasn't really a bad game, just no mmo can compare to Wow. Wow needs to crash and burn already so we can move on lol.

6. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Peaks and troughs - hopefully Bioware retain their awesomeness but when you look at the likes of Rare, Psygnosis and Bungie it doesn't look too good.

DA2 was pretty shocking and I never played ME3 - was too engrossed in TOR.[face_blush]

7. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh man Rare...there's a name that used to make AMAZING video games..*sigh*

RIP the good ol' days.

8. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    ME3 is still a fantastic game, even with that ending. The ME trilogy to me consists of three of the greatest games ever made. Those three were the three games I've most enjoyed playing in at least five years. It's ridiculous how good a job Bioware did with the story (overall), the game mechanics, the decision-taking, the voice acting, the background, the intensity, hell, practically everything but the end was great. And even the ending didn't actually bother me that much.

9. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would be surprised that Bioware made an amazing game with a ****** ending. It's like their claim to fame, lol. That and load screens. JESUS, Jade Empire.

10. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    But KOTOR had a great ending. Predictable, but good nonetheless.

11. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Made it to Tatooine! Re-spec'd my sorcerer as a heal, unlocked speeder ability and got a modded blade for Khem Val. Now I'm loving everything, if only all the quests weren't related to jawa slaughter.

12. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    I also need to know this, I'd like swtor on my mac.

13. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Eeeeeehhhhh... it was "ok". It was still short, sudden, and nondescript. But it wasn't as terrible as some of the ones they've churned out, that's for sure. The Revan novel was a nice follow up, even if I'm not happy with how he handled some things.

14. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    You could actually get a speeder all the way back in Balmorra... lol

EDIT - It was a fitting ending. Not more, not less. And from a writer's perspective, the novel wasn't good. Besides, Karpy dealed with the Exile in the worst possible way.

15. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    I am ftp and the ability wouldn't unlock until level 25. I think subscribers get it level 15. I was okay with walking but when I got to the Dune Sea, I was like- "LOL NO." and grinded until 25.

16. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    LOL NO is probably the best description of entering the Dune Sea without a speeder. But yeah, subs get the unlock for 250 creds at level 15 and the speeders are insanely cheap (8,000).

17. Atris

Atris Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Drew's writing. I like his plots, and a lot of what he does, but sometimes I just feel like he gets LAZY with the writing. The third book in the Bane trilogy and his Mass Effect entries are perfect examples of this. (God I can barely get through Revelation). DEFINITELY agree with how he handled Exile, that's what I meant...kind of bull****, but I guess in the situation they were in, to be expected.

Kotor's ending wasn't terrible, I just like conclusions that really tie up loose ends with companions, and I felt like it was just sort of...ok here's the end goodbye lol.

EDIT: Holy crap the Dune Sea is definitely not meant for walking lol.

General Valerian likes this.
  18. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I always make sure to get to level 25 before Tatooine or, more often, I've got the 40k creds (i think) it takes to do a legacy unlock. And I have a speeder unlocked across all characters so it's free. Woo.

19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    KOTOR's ending was fine; a nice, clear-cut ending that you don't get anymore with games nowadays. Always some kind of cliffhanger or bittersweet ending or some such that refuses to wrap things up cause gawd forbid gaming companies don't leave you an ending that may or may not open up a sequel or needs to be "deep".

Anyway, funny story about my resubbing. I get on the site, pull out my debit card, and then my house loses power. An hour later power comes on, I mess around on the computer for a bit, then try resubbing again. As soon as I get on the site and pull out my debit card, power goes out again.

Ignoring these warnings from the Force, I finally resub and get Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I go to Makeb. Get my quest to go out to the battlefield to start my lightsaber-swinging. Get to the field and the second NPC I talk to...has no head. Just two eyeballs floating where it should be.

......Hmmmmmm....

20. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    The missing head is a known glitch for Weequay, the Yoda species, and another. Creepy though :p

21. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    The Hutt Cartel expansion is sadly necessary if you want to keep up with good gear and such.

And yeah... If you get to the Dune Sea without a speeder... Well, you're screwed. Buy one or die from boredome caused by walking kilometres of sand just to go back after the quest is done.

And I'm level almost 24 with my BH Voxar and I haven't even finished Balmorra. :p

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'll get the Hutt Cartel eventually... playing my level 50 Commando isn't as fun when there's nothing to aim for. Yeah I could do Ilum and such but... meh. Going to work on getting the HK parts eventually but that's going to take a while

Edit: Just a thought since I mostly play darkside Sith and lightside Jedi, has anyone tried any of the Jedi/Sith classes and done the opposite long-term? Just curious how that works out since I think I'm going to try a darkside Knight on Covenant.

23. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    Yeah, my BH is light side and my Inq as well. Haven't gone very far into the story with these but it seems fitting, especially for the Inq.

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm enjoying Tlen (Jugg on Covenant) since she's an ultimate darksider and I haven't really done that before. Fitting, for a Sith Pureblood, I enjoy making my companions my pets :p But yeah I mostly do light/dark based on whether they're Rep/Imp, but thinking about mixing it up now. Just curious if anyone knew how the stories diverged, but I guess I'll find out for myself.

25. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I think I have to honestly say I've never encountered it before despite having leveled up two characters to fifty before so...

[​IMG]

I was slightly horrified yes...for a few seconds. Then I was laughing pretty hard once the horror morphed into hilarity.

As for playing light side Sith classes...I'm a pure light-sider so I did one. Well...it was an Imperial Agent anyway but from what I played and what little I researched later on...the paths can diverge quite a bit depending on your play style and allow for multiple endings to be shaped by your choices and, at least for the Agent, there were multiple endings and I ended up with the most light-sided one. The central plot, I believe, will still carry on no matter what but your choices during your class will develop your character exactly how you want them to be.

The Agent was particularly interesting and the choice for light-sided options weren't that difficult. Though an Agent of the super-awesome Imperial Intelligence, its made clear pretty fast that the Sith are the true rulers of the Empire and their ruthlessness and sense of superiority over non-Force-sensitives can really clash with you and yours. During the course of the story and seeing some of the things that the Sith end up doing, it was pretty easy for my character to turn away from the dark side and choose the most light-sided ending :p

The only problem with the ending I chose and a couple of the others (and this is possibly true for many other classes though I can't be sure due to not researching them in fear of spoilers) is that the ending kind of leaves you hanging and the true repercussions are seemingly saved for a later date when TOR gets more expansions and class stories are expanded.