main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I spent a bit of time and actually finished the last bit of my Consular last night. Talk about a slow story. I mean, it's kind of cool but parts are a struggle to find the effort to get through. And weakest final battle of the three I've done, but an interesting person to confront.

Next up is getting that chapter 2 finish on my smuggler so I can get the buff. Funny that if all 4 were on the same server I'd have all 4 buffs when I do that but my Jugg/Sage and Commando/Gunslinger are split up. Starting to lean towards an Inq next, I'll decide once these two weeks of crazy are done. Inq or Agent, I guess, still have my male Agent sitting on Alderaan. But male characters are boring, I always end up ditching them, leaving them to collect dust somewhere in Chapter 1.

2. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    Why are male characters boring? You mean their voices I guess...

I absolutely loved the Inq story btw. Highly recommended.

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Some of the male voices are really great (love male agent, smuggler in particular) but they just can't hold my interest when I have the option to play as a woman. And the interactions are... different. Trying the other romances are sometimes of interest but not always enough to keep me going. Same reason I will always take a female Revan, Exile, Shepard, etc over male. I'll probably level my male agent or male BH eventually but... not a priority right now.

I know the gist of the Inq story, think I'll run dark side, try Assassin since I just did a run with a Sage... but gotta design a character. Woo~

4. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    So start a Female Inq. And yeah I understand, exactly the same happens to me. I can't get myself around to playing female characters. Designing characters is always cool!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    After having TOR sitting on my computer for the better part of a year I finally got around to putting actually putting some serious game time into this over the last couple of month. I played through the Knight storyline and it was okay I guess. I kind of felt that all the dialogue options were super cheesy, even the snarky ones weren't really any fun. Now I'm running through as a lightside Sith Warrior and having a lot of fun with it since it seems to annoy every Jedi I run across.

6. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I really enjoyed the Sith Warrior story myself, though I ran a dark side Warrior. Most, if not all of the class storylines were written by different people so they can be pretty dramatically different, though a lot of the sidequest dialogue is pretty generic. Consular and Knight both seem a bit... bland to me, though interesting enough to push through, but I'll have to finish a Knight first to really see, and I suppose going dark side for both adds a little something to the story. If you're looking for snark, smuggler and pretty much any of the imperial classes are fun, I've enjoyed them a lot dialogue- and story-wise.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Smuggler is unparalleled in the snark area, followed closely by BH and Agent. I wouldn't call the Inquisitor snarky per se, more like (s)he is a massive troll and is amused by trolling the kark out of everything and everybody within eyesight. The Warrior is similar, but more dry in their interactions.

8. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    In comparison to Knight, Consular, and Trooper, they're all far less serious at least in some of in their dialogue options. Not sure why there isn't the option for those three classes to have a sense of humour (there's a bit with the Trooper here and there iirc but mostly quite serious) when the others are all very entertaining, even in "generic" sidequest dialogue. But smuggler is by far the best, for sure. Gotta get back on my smuggler, finish Hoth and ch 2, but unfortunately, school.

Also, I broke down and got myself the Cathar unlock. I didn't think I'd like it, but I have a male Cathar smuggler I really like, so worth the CC.

9. Nattu

Nattu Jedi Padawan

Jul 29, 2013
    I agree. I really enjoy playing my jedi knight, but he does seem to be very serious, speaking the sort of lines that you might expect from Superman. I find I have much more freedom of choice with my smuggler or my bounty hunter. I suppose that's why I keep switching back and forth. Of course I feel that I have a duty to continue on with my jedi knight since he was my very first character.

I also love designing new characters. Every once in a while I'll get a new idea and start all over again. For some reason I never get tired of the origin planets. Maybe it's because it leaves me with the very fond memories of when I first played TOR back in December 2011 with early access. Discovering it all for the first time. It seemed like this was the game I had been waiting for all of my life, or at least since 1977. Of course I had the same feelings with KOTOR, but they are much more distant now. Actually, it didn't just seem that way, it was that way!

I have grown tired of Drommund Kaas and Coruscant though. It takes a lot of effort to get new characters through those planets. I suppose the same could be said for Taris (Republic) and Balmorra (Empire).

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  10. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I love putting new characters through the starting planets too, especially for classes I've finished because it's like oh darling just wait, you're going to go so far.

Coruscant is one of my favourite planets so I love playing it. Rep Taris and Imp Balmorra though... ew. I lose the will to play when I hit them (except for a Trooper because Elara! and Warrior because mmmm Quinn) and it gets worse when I remember there's a bonus series. Ugh.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

11. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I am a fan of KOTOR and I enjoy the TOR cinematic trailers. I played TOR, but the story was not like the trailers and thus did not captivate me like KOTOR.

WriterMan likes this.
  12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

Basically the same for me. The dense complexity of KOTOR is hard to match in a MMORPG, so I will give them that it was a hard standard to meet. But even then, I feel they didn't meet my lowered expectations. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. I feel like Star Wars: Galaxies (prior to that atrocious update) was better than TOR.

Also, I hate that TOR's existence caused

1.) No KOTOR 3
    2.) That atrocious Revan novel written by Drew Karpyshyn. Dear God that was awful. I eventually just started skipping the Scourge parts so I could read the parts with Revan. They weren't exactly well-written, but they were adequate (and they were filled with nostalgia).

I personally hope that now that the EU has been wiped clean, they can go back and fix that. Revan deserves a proper ending, as do Bastila, The Exile, Atton Rand, Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Zaalbar, Canderous Ordo/Mandalore, T3-M4, Brianna the Handmaiden, Jolee Bindo, Juhani, Visas Marr, Mira, and HK-47.

Also, Meetra Surik? I liked it better when we didn't have a name.

Blackhole E Snoke and spicer like this.
  13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm pretty sure TOR wasn't trying to match KOTOR in complexity. It's an MMO, it's a whole other ball game. A lot of the things that made KOTOR compelling for me are still in TOR, but take more work to get to (ie Chapter finales, companions)

But according to new canon those characters don't exist outside of Legends. I doubt they're going to get any more written about them, except perhaps through TOR.

And what is with this "TOR caused no KOTOR 3" rhetoric? It was cancelled because LucasArts was going through a rough patch and wouldn't approve it. Like or dislike TOR, that's fine, and there are very valid critiques, but this trend of blaming companies or groups for things they didn't actually do really gets on my nerves, especially when it happened 6 years ago. TOR probably couldn't have happened without EA, and with them on board for resources, and considering the 300 year gap, there's still lots of opportunities to tell stories in that era without stepping on toes. But someone has to pitch it and someone has to approve it and it didn't happen in 2008, but there's nothing saying that it couldn't still happen.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    WriterMan, I agree regarding TOR and the Revan novel. Revan is a great EU character and the book tainted him.

15. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    This is my fault for not elaborating. I am not saying that TOR is what cancelled Kotor 3. But it's existence means KOTOR 3 is no longer possible. It could've eventually been picked back up.

It's not really TOR that makes KOTOR 3 not possible. It's the fact that the Revan and Exile story has now been played out, therefore making a new game pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The TOR had the potential to be a great KOTOR III, but the cut scenes were horrid and nothing like the cinematic trailers. Darth Malgus alone would have matched Malak for the main antagonist, but the story does not unfold like KOTOR.

WriterMan likes this.
  17. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    There's still a lot of room for a KOTOR 3 - the exile is barely mentioned in TOR, it could be someone they mention in added content later for continuity. It really depends on someone pitching it and wanting to make the thing. Hell, if I end up in any position to pitch ideas I'd pitch KOTOR 3 in a heartbeat.

The cinematic trailers weren't intended to be the real thing, they rarely are for games. I dunno if I'm seeing things differently because I've made games or talked to the TOR producers but a lot of what happened with marketing was not what they really wanted to happen- overhyping and such. The company that did the trailers did VFX for Thor 2, it wasn't the game companies.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    KOTOR III could easily be made, but I doubt Disney will allow Bioware to make it. Now that the House of Mouse rules, what the fans want is irrelevant. This is evidence in that they are renaming our precious EU the Legends. :(

WriterMan likes this.
  19. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012

Ehm,

In the Revan novel, The Exile dies along with t3-M4[ /spoiler].

20. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Yes, I'm aware, they deal with that in a flashpoint in-game. But there's a LOT of Revan references in-game, while the Exile is barely a footnote. Understandable, considering who Revan is, but disappointing since the Exile is by far my favourite.

And honestly when it comes to Disney I'm pulling a wait and see. Still going to try my hardest to get hired for any SW game.

WriterMan likes this.
  21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Trust not the Disney, the Dark Side is strong with them. [face_pumpkin]

22. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    I too enjoy The Exile more, but that is mostly due to the more mysterious feeling that TSL provides you with. It seems like there's a surprise always waiting for you. It's very noir-ish/horror-ish at times, which is amazing for a Star Wars game.

If you get hired, please try and make something decent happen with these characters! It's disappointing to see what's happened to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    This is a great way to get up to speed on The Old Republic: The Great Hyperspace War, The Mandalorian Wars, and beyond.

24. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Hey guys!
    so, I don't have access to a PC or gaming system. All of my posting gaming, etc. comes from an ipad (thank god for the KOTOR app!). The way I've followed Star Wars video games as they pertain to the EU has been through YouTube "video game movies". So, I've tried my hardest to follow the SWTOR story lines via videos on YouTube. "TheAwesomeLegacy" has pretty great videos that string together all of the cutscenes for each class' storyline. I'm looking for something like that, except with a bit of gameplay in between - just like "Gamers Little Playground's" Force Unleashed movie. Just enough gameplay to make it all coherent. With only the cutscenes, things jump around a lot.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm looking for one for Kotor 2 also.

I posted this here and not in the Gaming forums because this has nothing to do with the Swtor game itself, but rather the Legends-canon story lines within.

Does anybody know of anything like this?

BARDAN EDIT: Thread merged with existing KOTOR-SWTOR fanclub.

25. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014

There's a nice run through of my favorite pub class, the trooper. There is a little game play here and there. The channel has some run throughs of all the other stories in the same fashion. If you're looking for recommendations as to whether to follow the male or female version each storyline, I personally prefer:
    Smuggler: Male, although female is nice too. Good funny story, but not exactly deep.
    Trooper: Female. My favorite voice over in the game. Good military story, as a Halo/Mass Effect fan I really loved it.
    Knight: Female. Male is a little dull. Not my favorite, but it's got some cool moments.
    Counsalor: Both voices are rather poor. This is a rather boring story, probably skippable.
    Warrior: Either, I played male. One of the best stories in the game.
    Agent: Female. THE best story in the game, no question.
    Hunter: Both are nice, I prefer female. My second to last favorite, a bit slow. Some funny moments though.
    Inquisitor: Female, the male voice bugged me for some reason. Decent story.

As for Kotor 2, I couldn't find anything that was just cutscenes. Lots of good walkthroughs without commentary, but they include all the game play, not just cutscenes.

Hope that helps! :)