main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I've seen it around before, it's... suspicious. I have no doubt it's a real game, or a mod of a real game, and in process of being made, but there's no way it's official. The release date is way off, though, so wait and see, I guess.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I never believed it was official, considering it would probably cut TOR to ribbons (story wise).

Personally, if it is real and is good...at least its something.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is there one as good as that one for the first KOTOR game?

4. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006

The reason that I was particularly suspicious was that their game company (droitech games) didn't appear to exist except there and on their website, which had pretty much no information whatsoever. Now, that could mean it's just a group of friends calling themselves a company making the game, or just a brand new company, and it looks like they're going to update their websites. What gets me is that they're using LucasArts logos in their designs, which is Not Allowed, and I have no idea how they're getting around the SW branding issues, unless they're intending to offer the game for free. But it's good to see on moddb that they have more screens of their work, an upgraded Ebon Hawk looks sweet, and apparently will have in-game shots up on the 31st. It's a start, and at the very least if it happens, they claim it's going to be entirely open for modding so you can always mod a better story in :p

But this is all making me want to play KOTOR I & II again. I wonder if the glitches have cleared up in II...

5. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    There was a patch on the lucasarts page...but it was removed.

6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I had to re-purchase a copy of KOTOR for my Xbox and to my delight it was in pristine condition. The box was heavy, the plastic seamless and the artwork shimmering. Sometimes when you order games via Amazon or other sites, they come in poor condition. This may sound unrelated to KOTOR, but I miss when the boxes of video games were heavy and the plastic was sturdy.

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I buy too many games on steam to remember the feel of retail copies :p Including kotor 1&2. But I've had good luck with Amazon and resales in general.

And I'm playing through both kotors again, so many new mods to try out :D Male Revan is more fun than anticipated.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Rebecca, have you noticed that being male Revan is harder than female Revan? When I play through KOTOR, there is a major difference in difficulty between the genders. If so, I think we may a case of discrimination! :D That they made the game easier if you play a woman.

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Not that I've noticed, the dialogue is nearly identical. I got the last star map last night, it's basically the same except for the romance options. Bastila is fun, but I do prefer snarky Carth. But I'll have to see, might run to the end tonight. Of course, as mentioned, my game is heavily modded but very little in the way of story content mods, unlike kotor 2, which I don't play without the restored content mod (and a mod that makes Peragus more fun :p)

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Even though male Revan is Legends/EU canon, it would have been nice if Bioware had allowed the female Revan and Carth romance to play out.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Imo light sided male Revan (and the face they chose) is probably the most boring option in the game to make canon. And then they felt compelled to make the Exile female, which I don't mind, but I would have much rather had a female Revan than Exile, if I had to choose. Of course, most of that preference is from an intense discussion with a friend of mine where we decided female Revan and Malak probably were in a relationship at one point, which would have added a lot to the story. And I like being BFFs with Bastila more than the romance so far :p but, again, it's preference. But I do get sad never getting any closure for Carth and female Revan. Ah well, I move on quickly in kotor 2 when Atton shows up, I'm easily won over.

Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    A female Revan involved with Malak would have indeed made the final confrontation more emotional. It would have been interesting to have had such a powerful Dark Lord of the Sith like Revan be a woman. It would have been a break from the typical male masters of Darkness.

13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Yep. Of course all of this is made worse by the Exile's ultimate fate. In my head they all live happily ever after... and this coming from someone who pretty much otherwise loves SWTOR. I just wish, really, that both Revan and the Exile could have been left open to interpretation. As do a lot of people, I think.

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    So many stories and tales end in ways that vex fans. I find the book Revan to be revolting. Part of what made Revan's story so powerful was that he was great Jedi, fell to the Dark Side, became the Dark Lord, and finally became Prodigal Jedi. To insist that he commands both the Light Side and Dark Side as the book would have you believe is to rob us of his redemption.

15. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I haven't read Revan and my curiosity hasn't yet overcome my misgivings. But I know the basics and I don't like it At All. It's a great redemption story as it stood after the two games, and while I can see Revan struggling with the dark as they remember more of their past but the struggle and then overcoming it is the whole point.

I guess that's one thing to be said about the Legends decision: I can conveniently ignore the canon for all this :p

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What I liked about Legends/EU is fans got to decide on a personal basis what was canon or not. If you hated Dark Empire, you could ignore it. If you liked The Thawn Trilogy, you could adopt it.

I agree that it would be perfectly reasonable for Revan to struggle with the Dark Side as he remembers more about his past as The Sith Emperor's Servant.

17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    You see, that is what bugged me the most about the Revan book. Sure, the 'grey' bit is annoying...

But the whole 'he was turned by the Emperor!!!11!' thing bug the ever loving heck out of me. Revan originally turned, specifically because of the threat, and to protect the Republic by either strengthening it through war, or replacing it with his own Sith Empire.

Not because he was turned into a mind-controlled lackey to wreck the Republic.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    KOTOR's Revan is canon for me, the Revan Book is just a shadow of a thought I shall choose to forget.

Edit: I actually got so offended by the book that I disposed of it.

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    See, from the games, I always liked that Revan's fall was fairly straightforward. Beginning with the Mandalorian wars, then making the decision for themself to complete the fall. It made sense, from a certain point of view. While I don't mind the Sith Emperor's existence, even if ridiculously overpowered, messing with Revan's story like that, when it was already so good... :(

Skywalker_T-65 and Kato Sai like this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The inclusion of the Sith Emperor weakens Revan. Before the book, we believed Revan in the Twilight of the Mandalorian Wars was seduced by the Power of the Dark Side. Revan and Malak had spent time delving into Sith secrets while protecting the Republic. In time, the bad company of Sith holocons and possible phantoms (on Korriban) helped both Jedi fall. This original version of Revan and Malak's fall is closer to reality, people are rarely corrupted by meeting one person, it takes time and festering doubts to do that.

21. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    And Revan totally would have kicked the emperor's rear if they'd confronted one another. I mean, really, it's Revan :p

But I think it says a lot to the writing in the kotor games that so many liked Revan as he was presented there, and so many grew to dislike Revan as he was presented in Revan and swtor. I get that they wanted more kotor references in swtor but I loved the idea of Revan as a myth, that no one really knew for sure who Revan was and what Revan did, 300 years later

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I heard about them bringing back Revan for TOR. That is a travesty. To have Revan fall again to the Dark Side completely nullifies his epic return to the Light. Its like bringing back Megatron or any other villain over and over, you eventually stop caring that they are destroyed because you know they will come back. In this case the redemptive factor loses power and Light and Dark become less important. I always felt Revan was what Vader would have become if he had not died in ROTJ.

Revanfan1 and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  23. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    And that Revan was somehow kept alive for 300 years, I've had enough of Sith-living-forever-powers. And of course the Exile was unceremoniously trashed. I still haven't played the Revan-based flashpoints in swtor, I suppose I should just for the experience, but I know I'll be disappointed. Maybe I'll record them for posterity. Most of the other Revan references were great, like the holo statues on Corellia the pub players can switch on that show all the Ebon Hawk crew, and some of the Revanite storyline on Dromund Kaas for imp players. Still nearly no references to the Exile and crew... disappointing.

24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The way I see it the Sith-living-forever powers is either a ruse (TCW Season 5, last episode) or it should be that they cannot leave their tombs. As we know, the Sith seek to live forever in this life; they want the Fountain of Youth Force Power because for them this is all there is. For us Jedi however, we know there is a world beyond this one and thus becoming a Force Ghost is our ultimate goal. My issue is when the Sith have their omnipotent powers and can return as you said after 300yrs to reach havoc when they should just be spirits bound to their sarcophagus. Poor authors and writers have repeated this ridiculous Sith resurrection with Exar-kun and they have done it again with Revan.

25. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Without spoiling things for anyone, I do like some of the life-extending ideas from the Sith in swtor, and all of them seem to have a serious cost or fail outright - a balance, of sorts. They're creative, certainly.