main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Rebecca, do you know if Force Healing can only be learned from a Jedi? From what I recollect Sith do not know how to heal with the Force and hence that is why in KOTOR you should at least learn Force Healing before falling to the Dark Side.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In-universe, there are some Sithly means of healing (Cade uses the Dark Side when healing people in the Legacy comics, and Freedon Nadd uses the Dark Side to heal Exar Kun).

Generally though, those are the exception - Sith aren't normally good at healing.

Don't know about in-game.

Revanfan1 and Kato Sai like this.
  3. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I would imagine that Sith are not interested in healing because it typically is to help others and they believe in "Survival of the fittest." Any Sith who is wounded and cannot manage is thus weak and expendable. However, I could see the Sith being interested in healing themselves so that they can hold on to their power.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It helps that Exar Kun wasn't a Sith until after Nadd's spirit healed him - Nadd saw him as a useful minion who could grow a new body for Nadd in Sadow's alchemy labs - if he survived to get there and defeat Sadow's guardian monsters.

Of course, Kun, being Sith now, promptly turned on Nadd the moment he was able to unleash his full power on him.

Darth Plagueis's Midi-Chlorian Manipulation technique was able to reverse some of the damage done to him in the past - but it's very slow.

5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It would seem that it is advantageous to be a Dark Jedi and not a Sith. For Dark Jedi learn the healing arts and then if they fall to the Dark Side can possess the powers of the Sith. However, I imagine it is a balancing act. If you are a Jedi you learn abilities no Sith or Dark Jedi will ever have and if you are a Sith you will learn powers that no Jedi will learn and that Dark Jedi cannot due to their exposure to Ashla. As they say, to be a "Jack of all Traits" is to be a master of nothing.

I would say Revan falls in the classification of Dark Jedi. Though he was Dark Lord of the Sith, he was first a great Jedi Knight.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And in the Revan novel - he draws on the Light & Dark Side simultaneously when he finally gets all his memories back, and is confronted with an enemy.

"I am Revan reborn. And before me, you are nothing."

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006

Healing is always a tricky issue with light and dark side, as I'm of the opinion (and very much in the minority, afaik) that there's no reason a Sith couldn't learn to heal, if they wanted to. It's an ability, nothing more. In swtor specifically it's been expanded more, as Sith Sorcerers (Inquisitor adv. class) can heal. That's more for game balancing than anything (it's a mirror of the Jedi Sage class) but the Sorcerer's healing is more... twisted. The ability names are much more to do with revival and stealing life, and the animations are kind of reminiscent of the Dathomir witches' stuff in TCW. Whether it fits for the Sith in general, well, the Inq is just one Sith, and an odd one at that; maybe the Inq learned special methods in their studies and never shared with other Sith. [face_dunno]

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    If the Sith had never learned of the Republic or re-entered into a war with them instead of just imposing borders in the Unknown I believe the Sith would of morphed after a few more centuries into a cast system. With different ones having different well guarded secrets and abilities beyond the base pool of general Force use. Kinda like the Lost Tribe but on a much more grandiose scale with possible whole worlds given to the thrall of a single cast with neutral or Emperor Base Worlds given to a central meeting exchange locations.

Just a thought.

Kato Sai and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Now that you mention it Rebecca, I remember Force Drain being a power that is used in KOTOR by the Sith and in other Legends. Force Drain heals a Sith at the expense of a victim's life force, which is definitely more Dark Side in nature. A Sith with glee can hurt and even kill his victim slowly while healing his or her body.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  10. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, the abilities in swtor don't actually harm another player (again, for balancing) but it's kind of implied that's what would be happening, if it wasn't a game. Force Drain and similar are always my favourite abilities in games, even when I'm light sided because, like, hello. Hurting enemy and healing myself in one move? Yes please. :p

Okay, so I finished my male Revan run last night and I actually remembered the big difference story-wise between male and female: it's actually slightly more difficult for a light sided female Revan to redeem Bastila as compared to a light sided male Revan (assuming male Revan did the romance subplot with Bastila). The first time I played kotor I actually failed to save her because I picked the wrong options in conversation, where a male Revan can just hit the "but I love you!!!!!!!" option at the end and get her back. Just an interesting observation.

Now to convince myself I should finally do a dark side run of both kotors...

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Rebecca_Daniels, For game purposes I understand your use of Force Drain. :)

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Good luck with that. I can never bring myself to do Dark Side since if there is one flaw in KOTOR its being Dark requires being a bigger jerk than I'm comfortable with. :p

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I cannot ever follow through with the Dark Side because I want to help people I come across, like the lady needing to sell a Ward Plate on Tatooine. How can I rip her off?

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I tried once and stopped, I feel really bad about it all. Which is weird because I have no issue with a dark side run in various classes in swtor, it's somehow less... jerkish. But I'm thinking of a kotor 2 dark side run because you get bonus dialogue with Atton on Peragus and I have to hear it for myself :p

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think if the choices for Dark Side points were more subtle in evil it would be easier. True villains never think they are evil, they think they are doing good from another point of view. If that was the perspective you followed in KOTOR, then it would be easier to stomach doing Dark Side things.

16. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Of course if you just want the DS ending KOTOR 1 is nice enough to give you the option to go full dark right before the Star Forge. :p

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That's very convenient. :p

18. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Exactly, it's much more like that in swtor (though sometimes it's still petty like 'yeah I did promise I'd let you go but too bad, you're dead') which is something I like a lot. I have four dark side characters going and they're actually fun.

And yes, that's true, skyguy, but if I go dark I gotta do it the whole game or I'd feel like I'm cheating. :p

19. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    To be fair, the option makes a lot more sense if you have been dark the whole time. I just can't see a goody-two-shoes Revan willingly joining Bastila (especially since it requires killing Juhani/Jolee). I mean, its possible but it does feel like cheating :p

20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Rebecca, after Taris and Dantooine, can you go straight to Korriban and learn the ways of the Sith before you find the rest of the Star Maps? That would be the most authentic way to go Sith on a run through the game, but alas it would be hard to defeat enemies at Korriban who wield the Force when you are not yet Force Power House.

21. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm fairly certain you can actually. It is more dangerous to be fair, but I don't think there is anything saying you can't go Korriban first.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, you can go to any of the four star map planets you want, so Korriban first would make sense. I cheat anyway because I'm bad at games so I do them in whatever order I feel like :p

I think I'll have to suck it up and just do it someday. I am actually more interested in kotor 2 dark side because you can twist the companions to the dark with you, which would be a lot of fun, I think. But then again I've only managed one kotor 2 run without game-ending glitches (that's out of seven(!) files I've tried) so I haven't even tried a male Exile to learn more about the Handmaiden.

Kato Sai likes this.
  23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Funnily enough, the one time I actually did a DS run in KOTOR 2, I did it specifically to get Hanharr...and then immediately go light and twist him around in ways he's not supposed to :p

Don't remember what the Light characters dialogue as they turned dark was. Bao-Dur did start to resemble Maul a bit though.

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I've been using this to plan to get the most out of my next kotor 2 run, light or dark. But basically you can corrupt Atton, Handmaiden, Disciple, Mira, and Bao-Dur... and I feel bad for how much I want to try it out :p Not sure if I want to bother with Hanharr, he doesn't seem that interesting to me.

25. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    According to TOR encyclopedia Revan was not a mind-controlled lackey or at least not always. During the Mandalorian Wars he (and Malak) was supposed to be heavily tainted by the dark side. His actions had caused millions of deaths and during that time he uncovered ancient teachings of the Sith (which led him to believe that the Sith might not be extinct like the Jedi used to believe). After the war Revan and Malak discovered Dromund Kaas and tried to confront the Emperor. During this confrontation Emperor dominated their minds and decided to use them to achieve his goals. As Darth Revan and Darth Malak they were tasked to find and secure the Star Forge. This was the moment when Revan and Malak broke free from Emperor's control. Subsequently Revan seized the Star Forge and created his own Sith Empire. Then he begun his preparations to conquer the Republic. Why he wanted to conquer the Republic? Because "only by uniting the galaxy under his rule could Revan hope to defeat the threat posed by the Emperor". And this is why the Jedi Civil War begun.

Kato Sai and MistrX like this.