Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Kato Sai Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    RafSwi7 is right. Revan and Malak with the Star Forge in their hands broke away from The Sith Emperor and tried to create their own empire. Such is the way of the Sith, once the opportunity is available a subordinate Sith takes the advantage and tries to establish his or her own legacy.
  2. Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost

star 5
    I still don't like the Sith Emperor's meddling. It takes away from Revan and Malak's choices, their agency in causing their own fall, which is kind of the point of the game. Both KOTORs are heavy in decision-making, and your choices in the game do matter - they could have easily written a set storyline RPG about Revan's redemption but they didn't. It's all about agency, and taking away Revan's agency (even in a part of the game you can't control, the past) takes away from the story as a whole. It just makes the whole story less meaningful to me; the Emperor has enough lackeys, he needs to keep the **** away from Revan and Malak.
  3. Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What Becca said. I am aware of Revan/Malak breaking away. It's that they were controlled at 'all' that annoys me.
    Kato Sai and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  4. Kato Sai Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Rebecca, I too feel as you do regarding Revan and Malak. Why there must always be some sinister architect in every storyline about Sith I do not know. Perhaps it is because they want to clone Darth Sidious. They want an emperor orchestrating in the background. But as you have said most eloquently Rebecca, it detracts and diminishes Revan and Malak as characters because it does not keep to the narrative that they had free will and made their own choices.
    Last edited by Kato Sai, Jul 17, 2014
  5. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    I kind of like the encyclopedia's take because it kind of fit my headcanon when the TOR backstory video first came out. I'd assumed that much of Kreia's speculation was right, that Revan and Malak were already either on their way to falling or had fallen by the time they left known space, and that one reason for that was all of the Sith material they had found. I still don't know the official canon, but I assumed that when they found the Emperor they were no longer light side Jedi, that the only change the Emperor really forced on them was temporary obedience to him, and perhaps knowledge of the Star Forge. I never quite bought Kreia's hypothesis that Revan chose to fall because he had to, since I prefer "the road to hell" stories anyway. I think he was falling because that's how the dark side is and that's how a war like the Mandalorian Wars affects people, and Jedi in particular.
  6. Kato Sai Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @MistrX, intriguing thoughts. War does change people and for peace keepers like the Jedi, it can be a process that leads them to the Dark Side. I have not made such a correlation between the Mandalorian Wars and Revan & Malak's fall. Thank you for sharing your sentiments, they have given me something to ruminate on.
  7. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, KOTOR 2 really gets into that idea. Particularly if you get influence with Kreia, Atton, and HK.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Clone Wars 82 Jedi Padawan

Is there a SW novel during the mandalorian wars? I'm playing the Knights of the republic on my ipad. I'm real fasonated with that war. Also in the CW they talked about the mandalorian war. I'm new to reading the books.

Bardan Edit: Thread merged with existing KOTOR/SWTOR fanclub
    Last edited by Bardan_Jusik, Aug 9, 2014
  9. Orman Tagge Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    No novels, by the Knights of the Old Republic comics are set then.
  10. Kato Sai Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @Clone Wars 82, there is a lengthy video from Bioware that tells about The Mandalorian Wars and its connection to other wars. I can share it if you would like.
  11. Meyerm Jedi Master

star 2
    It's fairly safe to say that Revan and Malak were already dark jedi when they met the Emperor. He just made them legit Sith. Sources say that once freed, Revan's goals shifting to taking over the weak and arrogant Republic and Jedi so he could forge an empire strong enough to repel and defeat the Sith of Dromund Kaas. Some say Revan was still motived by a desire to destroy the sith. I prefer to believe Revan simply wanted to be undisputed ruler of the galaxy, which is only natural for a Sith lord.
  12. Clone Wars 82 Jedi Padawan

Is it from the game the old republic? I know that Raven and Malak disappear and then they come back with a huge army. I'm reading the graphic novels.
  13. DanielUK Force Ghost

star 4
    I really hope (I know it's in vein) that Disney rethinks the Old Republic era, especially KoTOR, and makes this canon. So much rich history and stories that added so much to Star Wars. Should not be thrown aside or rewritten.
  14. Rou-eru Jedi Master

star 1
    I would hate if it got rewritten. The old republic era is too perfect in my eyes.
  15. Meyerm Jedi Master

star 2
    Simple to rectify: Ignore any Disney retcons.
  16. Mitth_Fisto Chosen One

star 6
    I don't know. I wouldn't mind a stand alone or duology movies from Disney of KoTOR, possibly with Revan dark skinned and perhaps his successor asian. Just a couple nods to broaden the scopes. Gender I honestly would not mind either way for either one, although I am partial to male Revan for Bastilla intrigue and female for other for interesting Atin situations. Although same argument could be made for Carth intrigue/betrayal and . . .those other situations.
  17. Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost

star 5
    Atton >>> Carth. I love Carth but Atton's way more interesting. So while I prefer both female Revan and Exile, female Exile is way more important to me.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 6
    Even speaking from a guy's POV, Atton is still way more interesting than Carth. :p
  19. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    To be fair most KOTOR II characters are more interesting than their KOTOR counterparts :p

Possible exception being Jolee who I think is possibly the most interesting character in either game (though I dislike Kreia and that may be swaying me a bit).
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost

star 5
    I just love what a twisted character Atton is. And I enjoy dragging him along to redemption :p Or, you know, bringing him down with me. But generally, yeah, KOTOR II characters are more interesting, though I think part of that is how much better the dialogue is. KOTOR I was very repetitive, getting that "... but I don't want to talk about that right now" at the end of every personal conversation with every character wore thin pretty fast. KOTOR II cut you off more smoothly.

Never liked Kreia, tbh. Keep trying to see what her fans see in her and I just don't like her. Jolee's great though. Need more Jolee adventures.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    My issue with Kreia is I never liked the 'True Neutral' character archetype. It seems...hypocritical.

Case in point:

*gives guy five credits*

"BOO HISS. YOU SHOULDN'T HELP THEM THROUGH THEIR OWN PROBLEMS"

*scare guy off*

"BOO HISS. YOU SHOULDN'T DO RANDOM ACTS OF CRUELTY."

There is literally no pleasing the woman, and it bugs the ever loving heck out of me. It is impossible to be pure neutral. It just doesn't work that way.

And then there is the whole 'kill the Force' thing. Yes, let's murder the thing tying all life together. That's a great plan, isn't it?
    Last edited by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 9, 2014
    Revanfan1 and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  22. Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost

star 5
    Exactly. I just ignore her, mostly. Like I chat for the stuff she gives me like the advanced classes and such but that's about it.

I actually find Jolee to be closer to a neutral, tbh.

23. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    I couldn't even tell you most of what she says...because I also ignore her :p

Jolee's a much better representation of 'Grey' indeed.
  24. Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost

star 5
    That spacebar works wonders, eh? Or whatever skip is on the consoles... :p

He's grey but also nice like you can be neutral and also nice to people you like? I think that's what makes the difference for me.

25. Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Jolee and Kreia are, to me, on the opposite end of the 'grey' scale. Jolee tends towards light, because of the niceness and the 'power of love'.

Kreia tends towards dark with her 'everyone is tools, not friends' schtick.
    Last edited by Lenea_Sandstrider, Sep 9, 2014
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth