main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Sooo...

Apparently Revan may have survived the Foundry and is currently trying to wipe out both the Republic and the Empire. I just...why? Why must TOR ruin the characters? First the Exile gets a case of stupid, then we find out Revan and Malak were forcibly turned...and now Revan is relapsing to a level worse than Malak? What. The. Kriff. Bioware.

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm in class atm but when I get home I'll go into detail but, as Hobie says, it (might be) worse than that.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

3. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    Oh god. That sounds terrible.

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Quick question as someone just starting TOR (Yeah I can actually play sporadically!) I have an Imperial Agent storyline going, but for the good guys I am torn on what to play as, type of jedi or soldier. What would you experienced TOR players recommend? So far Revan is still dead or possibly believed to be the Emperor in what I have played through so :p

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Personally, love the Trooper. Consular is good at first then slows down, Knight I haven't finished beyond ch1 but I've heard that one feels almost like a KOTOR 3, big stories and stuff. Also highly, highly recommend both Sith. If I had more time I'd play them again, this time light sided.

#in which Becca gives the same advice every time someone asks her about the class stories :p

I may not get my thoughts together on the new [spoiler character] info until tomorrow but to those that want to know more, I recommend finding a video of the cutscenes in those flashpoints and deciding for yourselves. Note that the storyline isn't over and will likely be a major part of 3.0 - and we haven't actually gotten confirmation IU that it is [spoiler character], there are theories it's a fake... or they've just gone completely crazy. Which is a fair chance considering what happened previously. I haven't played any of the flashpoints myself but I plan to, when I'm not ending every day too exhausted to think about gaming.

Was that non specific enough to not be spoilery? :p

6. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    It is possible that You-Know-Who went crazy. After what they went through, it would be perfectly reasonable. And I could accept that.

Now, if they're totally sane, that's when I'm going to be angry with Bioware considering it throws so much development right out the window.

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm kind of hoping for the crazy or imposter routes because they make sense. Or another twist like that, you know? Something to make it make sense. I'll certainly keep an eye on it, and while it won't ruin the game for me because I like it too much, I may ignore that storyline if it goes bad.

Skywalker_T-65 likes this.
  8. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    How come the imperial trooper doesn't get any love? The agent is the gameplay-wise analogue, but the sith have heavy armored smash n' grab troops too. I love their armor.

9. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Unfortunately that role is not playable, which I would attribute to them seeing Imperial Troops as analogues to clone troopers in that you don't have the potential for the lateral decision making process' that the Republic 'Volunteer' troopers do. Although Becca can probably give a better answer as she has played through that story line.

As for me I shall now go play tic-tac toe followed by three sessions of inny-minnie-miney-moe and see whether I play as a Trooper or Jedi Knight next time I get on. :D

10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I need to get my KOTOR fix. I am thinking about actually playing through the entire story as a Grey Jedi. Finally, I will be able to unwind and be a little unorthodox. :D

Revanfan1 and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Some data-mined news about the Revan expansion for SWTOR: major, major, major spoilers. Under a cut, but I really don't want to spoil anyone who doesn't want to know until the expansion drops. So be careful, spoiler cut things, etc.

Seems that Revan isn't evil! ... sort of. It appears the "good" Revan died in the flashpoint and became a ghost, but his body seems to have become its own entity - it's as if Revan is both good and evil, split into two versions. Kind of like the expansion title, it's a SHADOW of Revan, not the actual Revan. There's some other weird stuff like it seems evil!Revan wants to revive Vitiate into a body so he can be killed, but others don't and it seems that the expansion might end with Vitiate having been revived but not killed and Revan "reunited" and still alive... The reason we know about the two Revans is that in conversation files I believe they're listed as "Darth Revan" (or some variation of that, I think "Unknown Revan" came up) and a separate "Ghostly Revan". Anyway, this seems like a completely different twist and an interesting way to have the fun of a dark sided Revan without destroying his character. Especially if he ends up being alive and good again at the end of this. I'm on the side currently hoping that with both Vitiate and Revan alive, that Revan's the one who gets to kill him once and for all :D

12. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Makes me want to get my Jedi past Taris all the more ;)

13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Pub Taris is still by far the slowest, most painful planet in the game. References to KOTOR only go so far.

14. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I have been there three hours and I think I only have cleared a third of the place so far, with a new two spots that I am too low a level to be able to clear yet that I will have to come back to later.

Kato Sai and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  15. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    All of Taris should be achievable, it's just slow. Starts level 16/17, ends around 21. As much as I hate doing it, I do recommend the bonus series, it'll get you high enough to go through Nar Shaddaa.

I did enjoy the Endar Spire mission, felt so nostalgic. And the stuff about the rakghoul cure, the promised land, they were definitely the highlights. Imp Taris doesn't have the same quantity of references but is way faster and way cooler - it's one of the only planets at night in the game.

EDIT: P.S. Because I can't actually play now and haven't been able to since July, this is like my lifeline to SWTOR. I always like helping people out, I miss being able to play though :(

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Alright, in finishing the Rakghul clearing at the start of Taris Republic side in the north of the first map I saw a Pirate exile or some such level 20. Thinking two on one it should be no problem I approached, he attacked and I lost after only being able to bring him down a third of his health. Though I have no mission to actually confront him yet I consider him an unfinished mission. The other is the Pirate Locust nest. I tried attacking it and got swarmed and lost despite being a level higher than opponents. So figure level up again and then attack in a different angle later.

This planet feels more like grinding than even Coruscant, but I can do it. And once past it I will return to Coruscant and finish the two Heroic missions I left unfinished there.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Are you trying to solo the heroics? Because that might explain your difficulty, you need a group the size of the number (2, 2+, 4) unless you're overlevelled. The pirate exile sounds like he might be a champion - was there a fancy symbol next to the name? Because those usually take a group to take down or a significant level above, I've lost my fair share of solo battles against champions.

Taris is very grindy, I love that it's followed by Nar Shaddaa since I love the urban planets, so for me it's a huge relief when I finish, though some people don't like it either. I'll admit Taris is a lot better as a sub because you tend to be a higher level due to increased xp gain, and you have a mount by then so you can speed past rak mobs :p

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I have been doing the Heroics alone without a group. Gotta admit the ones on Coruscant were really hard to complete. I haven't really done much with a group yet. And as the SWTOR is acting up atm I will save that for probably next week after I finish a couple more leveling missions and then Watcher One confrontation. Personally I like the forested worlds somewhat better than the city worlds. Well. . .I liked Tython better but Taris may just prove me wrong :p

I didn't like Coruscant so much with traveling always by speeder between the zones :(

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    No one likes Taris, or Balmorra, though I like the latter on a Warrior because it's where you pick up Quinn! And I do adore him.

You'll love Alderaan then - probably one of my favourite planets. I always take longer there just because of how beautiful it is. I actually like Hoth as well, it's surprisingly peaceful-feeling there because of the atmospheric elements, though it's much later.

I have tricks to solo heroics but I still have trouble sometimes. I usually just do a LFG in general chat and join up - though I guess you can't if you're pure f2p and not preferred? I keep forgetting they took the general chat feature away from f2pers.

And now you're making me want to go play my Knight - I was going pure dark with him, it's a lot of fun. And he runs around shirtless, also fun. It's my way of combating the nearly-naked Kiras and Elaras and Makos and all the other female companions that wouldn't be caught dead in the slave outfit or what have you ;)

20. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    I actually saw that for the first time today, on Taris a consular player character dressed in the slave outfit. Nearly gave myself whiplash with the "What is that?!? Are you kidding me!?!" :p Although as it was the character and not the companion does that mean you would give them bonus points? [face_whistling]

I am so looking forward to those later locations. I am f2p and on a pve server. Fun times. If it was not glitching right now so much I would try to join up with someone and do one of the group Heroic missions. Right now I have two of them waiting, one 2+ and one 2. Also so far I have found two of the datacrons on Taris. . .well found isn't really the right word as I have watched walkthroughs for them before playing :p

How exactly does one get to spend their planetary commendations? So far I have about 60, so am curious what these things are actually good for. The help thing says you can use them to buy special stuff, but I have not run into a vendor with anything for exchange of planetary commendations. An whether or not that stuff is worth it.

Lvl 19 now. Feels good to be high enough to take on Rhakghuls without worrying whether they are stronger then me or not :D

21. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    The companions bother me more than the PC, because you know what? Do what you want with the PC, say that it's in character, I don't care. But the companions have set personalities and there's no way that pretty much any of the characters - male or female - would be caught dressed revealingly... and in combat too! I get it if it's just for fun, a joke, for RP purposes, but the ones where it's a female PC dressed in almost nothing with female companion dressed in almost nothing... I know what's going on there, I guarantee you at least 9/10 of those are male players. Bioware's done a decent job making up for their original lapses of making the first revealing outfits (slave and dancer) female-only and have since made them all for both genders. Have to admit if there was a male slave outfit I'd use it, just to piss people off and for entertainment value. ;) But only on a PC, and even then it's not meant to be serious. I mean, I even keep my hunter's gear mismatched colour-wise on purpose because I like the eclectic look, despite having that "unify colours" option. I take my gear aesthetic seriously :p

Yeah, PvE or RP-PvE is the way to go. PvP servers scare me :p Datacron hunting is fun, I haven't collected them all but I keep meaning to do a full run of all of them, I have a good number on my 55 Trooper. Definitely pick them up where you can, those little boosts can go a long way, especially if you pick up your class's stat.

You have to go to a commendations vendor, there's two on every planet in the "market" area - usually the starting area - called an Equipment commendations vendor and a Modification commendations vendor, I believe? Or all the comms vendors are in a section of the fleet for every planet - so you don't have to visit every planet to remember which one had that really nice chestpiece or weapon you wanted :p I pretty much exclusively use comms gear, or fp/heroic gear, or occasionally pvp gear, because a lot of it is moddable orange gear and then I can keep a consistent look through the game :D Definitely use the comms to buy mods for your gear that you can upgrade, the comms mods are waaaaaay better than the ones you buy from a mods vendor that sells them for credits. Or buy them for credits on the GTN from another player, though that can be expensive for f2p when you already get reduced credits. Comms get you blue mods, which are better than the green ones you get for credits (generally purple > orange > blue > green > white, but for most things only subs can use purple). So yes, highly, highly recommend you use them to upgrade any moddable gear and use them to pick up orange gear when you can. Especially as f2p, since it saves your credits.

I hate those things, I never seem to play classes with good AoE, so they're a pain to get through. Did you roll a Guardian or a Sentinel?

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Below is my thoughts on the new Revelation about Revan. So as not to spoil it for those playing the story on TOR, I have kept it in spoiler container. WARNING you might find Revan's Robes and accumulate Light Side and Dark Side points upon opening. :D
    I find the concept of Revan remaining a Prodigal Jedi as a Force Spirit and Darth Revean returning via possessing Revan's body to be cop out. Part of what makes Revan's story so compelling is that he goes from being Jedi Knight to Sith Lord to Prodigal Jedi. He does what Anakin did not, he survives his redemption. To have this Spirit Revan and Flesh Darth Revan just seems like lazy writing IMHO. [spoiler/]

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Lazy writing maybe but still better than the copout of making Revan go full dark, with no light remaining at all. Which is what this seemed to be at first, what with the whole 'destroy both sides' thing.

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    remember that this is data mined info from the test served, and may not be exactly how it goes down - there's thoughts that Revan's body has been possessed by another Sith spirit or something else. We won't know for sure until December. It actually seems far better than the initial Revan story in SWTOR to me.

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Upon further examination, the idea of Revan's body being possessed by a Sith spirit is not completely nonsensical. Often on Korriban and at Sith Shrines the Sith ghosts take the form of former Sith or raise the body of a Sith Lord who is long gone (examples: Naga Sadow, Exar-Kun, and Darth Bane). If you take the whole body is the vessel and it is what happens to Revan's spirit is that matters, then it does not spoil his character for his dead body to be used as an conduit. But if you see the body as being as important as his spirit, and intrinsic to who he is, then it taints his character. I frankly see if more from the point of view that is Revan is truly redeemed, then his body should not be accessible to a Sith spirit. However, the novel Revan indicates that Revan wields both the Light and the Dark Side which then make this whole idea work. But I personally like KOTOR I better where he turns fully back to the Light and banishes his bond to the Dark Side.