main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    There was some more teased, some spoilery and some not. I will pass on the few points I think of interest to this club's regulars:

"He says that next year is going to be such an exciting time for STAR WARS fans, and Episode VII is only part of that. While he didn't say much, he said that KOTOR fans will have something coming down the pipeline. 'They're going to be surprised and they're going to love the news that comes out in the future, and I can't wait to talk about it.' "

And the spoilery ones:

"This expansion aims to not only answer some long awaited questions, but it will also serve as the final chapter in Revan's story, so BioWare may close the book on him."

'Obviously, Boyd was more story-focused when dealing with the question of making Revan the enemy of this chapter. "I think it's important to note that while he is the big-bad of this," he said, "it's not because he's randomly nefariously evil or something. There is a lot of depth to it in the storyline. I think once people play through it, they will understand why we chose Revan to play this role in the story." '

2. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Anyone else curious as to how your character is able to understand a never before seen alien species speaking a language they never heard?

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Which species/language do you mean?

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    If they were to adapt the Story of Revan from KOTOR I to motion picture, do you think audiences would argue it is too much like Anakin Skywalker's Story? We Old Republic fans know better, but I am curious if that could hinder such a production.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I think it would depend on a lot of things: at what point in Revan's story they start, whether they stick to Legends Revan's canon story (redemption, etc), and more still. I think a redemption story would sell, and I think it's dramatically different from Anakin's and more powerful, imo. But the story would need some cleaning up, the dialogue could be a lot better, and imagine a movie-quality showdown with Malak rather than KOTOR's dice-roll combat system :p

Somewhat related, I want to do a KOTOR 2 run with a male character when I have some time, but I don't like any of the heads. Which ones did you use or prefer? I love many of the female options for the Exile but I can't even start a game with a male Exile because I dislike them so much :p

Revanfan1 and Kato Sai like this.
  6. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Seh Run, Cessik the sentient Colicoid on Balmorra, Jawas (if you have your character say "what's a jawa?") to name a few. Maybe not never before seen, but unseen by your character, considering your character has no idea what Seh Run is, and most imperials seem to have no clue what Colicoids are, and even a scientist studying them was dumbfounded by the discovery of a sentient, speaking one.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I like the brunette Obi-Wan head. :p

[​IMG]

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  8. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Jedi Jesus!

( That :p )

9. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    If you know about TOR, you know the two classes of sith. Warriors, which focus on physical abilities and lightsaber usage, and inquisitors, which focus on master of force powers. However, I'm a little confused as to where the line is drawn, and the segregation of these classes. To organize,

1. Is there an actual inquisition organization within the Empire that inquisitors are a part of? If not, why are they called inquisitors?

2. Is there a clear distinction? Can a sith blend aspects of both instead of focusing on one path?

3. Are there any warriors that are Darths? Or are all warriors just that, and not prepared for/interested in the responsibilities that come with being a Darth?

BARDAN EDIT: This fits in with the KOTOR/SWTOR fanclub.

10. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I can't think of that head in any other way after reading that lp :p

Skywalker_T-65 and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Here's how I understand it: Darth is a title, like Lord. Warriors are the grunts of the Sith Empire. Inquisitors are those who seek out information and hunt down enemies of the Empire. Darths are the administrative sector of the Sith and the true inheritors of the Dark Side teachings. Warriors and Inquistors can one day become Darths, but it is rare because they serve a function like the Stormtrooper and their potential is typically limited. Darths are chosen as apprentices to the Dark Lord of the Sith or Sith Lord that currently reigns. Darths have incredible promise in the Force and thus skip having to prove themselves as warriors and inquisitors. This is of course all under the context of The Old Republic and some canon knowledge.

12. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    The relationship between lords and darths roughly emulates that between knights and masters, in that lords and knights are fully fledged members of their order and can take on students to teach as apprentices/padawans, but master/darth are above them still. So, if inquisitors and warriors are two parts of the same boat, would that mean that Darth Nox (inquisitor player) ceased being an inquisitor upon their promotion to darth and seat on the council? In the case of warriors, however, the fact they focus on martial arts and physical strength means they're far less knowledgeable in dark side teachings and arcane secrets. Since all Darths seem to have access to inquisitor powers like lighting and the like, is it possible that a warrior Darth is extremely rare? But, given the power-hungry nature of the sith, why would so many pursue the path of the warrior if there's a limited future in it?

And again, why the inquisitor name?

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    As far as I'm concerned, it's Warrior and Inquisitor for the same reason it's Knight and Consular for classes. They're names that describe what they do rather than a title exactly. But that's just me.

Kato Sai likes this.
  14. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I would think you focus on your warrior abilities if you know you don't have a knack at inquisitor powers, after all the weak are killed so better to be strong in one way than none, or if you want to be sneaky and have your studies in secret. Another idea would be not all personalities want to be the ruler, many are happy to be right-hand mans and have the prestige without the responsibility nor the assassins.

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you think leaders like Darth Malgus or Darth Malak would ever trust those right hand Sith to stay content with their current position? Paranoia seems to cause many Sith Lords to go Ivan The Terrible on their servants.

16. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Even so, every sith (as far as I know) that holds the Darth title is adept at higher dark side powers like lightning, something warriors lack access to. I'm beginning to think the roles and abilities start to meld with powerful, highly experienced sith. They start out following one path, and learn the abilities of the other as they get closer to and reach the darth title. Maybe mastering both paths is an aspect of being a darth. Darth Nox is probably an exception. Obviously the player characters are still limited for balancing purposes, but the unique circumstances of their ascension to their positions could help explain in-universe.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Not all the Darths necessarily can do both. I've always seen it as reflective of the Master title of a Jedi. Not all Jedi masters were adept at all aspects of the force, I don't see how the Sith would be any different. Anakin never used anything like lightning, he would personify the Sith warrior for sure, and he was a Darth.

The handling of lower Sith actually one of my favourite things that gets explored in SWTOR - without spoiling things, you see 2 predominant points of view, either the Darth is arrogant and thinks that no one could possibly beat them or they try to kill their underlings before they get too powerful (but they're useful, so keep them for a bit). I love the scheming of the Sith in SWTOR.

Kato Sai likes this.
  18. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Vader was a special case. His mechanical limbs are cited as why he couldn't conjure lightning, not necessarily his power or knowledge. Sith warriors are often unambitious servants and are rarely seen as leaders. Still, the title Darth seems to be strongly associated with one's mastery of the dark side. A warrior, although fueled by hate and skilled with a lightsaber, is just that. One's physical ability and lightsaber skill isn't really tied to one's connection to either side of the force. I guess there would be sith content in their current positions, more concerned with the Empire than their own desires, but there are too many warriors for that to be a majority. This may be exclusive to the Dromund Kaas sith empire, but look at Darth Malak. Skilled martial arts master, physically powerful, and strong and intricate knowledge in dark side powers. Malgus too, said to be a warrior but also masters lightning and other inquisitor powers.

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Lightning isn't the only power though - just thinking of the Juggernaut class abilities, since that's the adv. class I chose (which were not at all reflective of IU-abilities) there was things like Force choke, push and pull, and stuff that involved shielding and attracting enemies, often described as using the strength of your power or rage to draw them in/damage them/protect yourself. I guess I'm just not sure what you're trying to argue since there's nothing saying that a Sith Warrior can't do these things, they're just not available abilities in a game, and you just seem really set on the Force lightning power, which isn't the end-all or be-all of Sith power. The Warrior is just a class name in a game, I can't recall a single instance of it being used IU, though it may have been in passing. Even the Inquisitors had an option to be less Force-based and more martial, in the Assassin class, which I have played nearly to the end, which goes to show that there's crossover between these classes. The fact is that a game isn't a very good reflection of lore, since it has to be focused on combat and balancing rather than being lore friendly, like how the Inquisitor has the lightning ability literally from level 1 (I think it's called "shock", then you get more lightning at level 2), when the Inquisitor is barely even an Acolyte with basically no training, which is ridiculous when considering it from an IU perspective. And really, they decided to make the Inquisitor a lightning-based class because it looked cool, and they wanted them to have something distinct from the Warrior so they could be identified visually by other players, same with every other class.

And meanwhile the Consular uses... rocks. :p Which, I mean, I enjoyed, but choosing between rocks and lightning? I know which one is cooler.

The thing is, are you saying that a Jedi can't become a Master without, I don't know, mastering the mind trick? Because it's just an ability. Just like Force lightning. There are other ways to mark a Sith or Jedi's power, and some of it can come from their martial prowess. A Jedi who has taken years to study a lightsaber form would be respected, since there's more to the forms than just the use of a lightsaber; why can't the same be said for a Sith? Probably even more so for a Sith, if they had mastered a lightsaber form enough to take out their opposition. And the Jedi make Guardians Masters, and they're very combat-based.

Also my Darth Tlen will beat you to death with her pink lightsaber if you say she shouldn't be a Darth. (Or if you bring up that she uses a pink 'saber.) She earned that title. She eeeeeeearned it. :p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  20. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I see your point. This brings back one of my first questions, though. Why the name choice of inquisitor? I have yet to play an inquisitor, so tell me, anyone, is "inquisitor" actually ever used iu? There was an inquisitor responsible for flushing out dissident acolytes at the academy, but is this coincidental? I don't think there's any official dark side inquisition until Palpatine.

21. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    The only IU Inquisitor I know of is the one in Rebels. The SWTOR Inquisitor is another OOU name, I don't remember it being used at all. I can't remember what but I believe the devs almost named the class something else.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I really wish they would sanction green lightning (see Star Wars: The Jedi Path) as a Jedi Force Power! Its exotic and you could craft it to be merely for disabling and maybe draining a Dark Sider's Force energy (I am aware of Disable Droid and Force Drain). The problem is that because Jedi do not want to inflict harm, you don't get offensive force powers. The problem is Jedi are not pacifists! I wish they would define them like the military orders of the Middle Ages; that they do fight and are not just peace keepers/police officers. Sorry, I know I am ranting. :p

23. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I think that's where the distinctive look to each class comes in, they want lightning to be Inquisitor-only in SWTOR. But I'd love to see it in other new SW games, could be a cool way of letting players who want to look cool with the lightning but don't want dark side powers, or again like you said with more offensive powers for Jedi :D I like it as a disabling/draining power, that's a very interesting idea, hmm...

Kato Sai likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think if the Jedi have a lightning that is like Force Drain but it drains the ability for a Dark Sider to use the Force and additionally drains their stamina levels to fight with a lightsaber (and other weapons), you could have a potentially powerful tool for the Jedi to use against their enemies.

I also wish that future KOTORs or The Old Republic Expansions would gift the Jedi with powers like Doppelganger and Force Neutralize (where Jedi severes the connection for another Force User from the Force). They could also include Force Bomb and Force Knife for the Sith, but I imagine Bomb would have to be adjusted to creating explosions with the Force rather than Harry Kerry act (use your save point :p).

Please Note: When I include brackets or definitions of some powers its not that I think anyone in this club is ignorant of them or needs a lecture, its just not everyone who reads the post may know about them and I was taught in English class in college to write like people have never read anything about the material you are talking about. :)

25. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Or have force powers LEAD to a change in allegiance and not so much be the result of it. For instance, a jedi can master force lightning, force choke, and other dark powers, but slowly becomes corrupted with each use. ON a similar note, defection capability. Changing your faction from within by going against the flow is interesting and all, but you should get a chance to defect to the enemy side if you dip too deep into the respective side's expected allegiance.