main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR THE MOVIE: EPISODE 2 UNDERWAY!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kaydon_Sentry, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaydon_Sentry

Kaydon_Sentry Jedi Master star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    Someone from the games section thought I should post this here, so here goes:

So the other day I was playing through the first KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic, XBOX), just wanting to experience the story again. My roommate came downstairs and was enjoying some of the cinemas, and I thought, wow, how great would it be to enjoy this story again without having to invest so much time in playing...?

As a working (well, most of the time) editor in Hollywood, I thought of an idea... edit together the game's cinemas and important chats (with your party and npcs) and some in game footage to create a 'movie' based on it.

Well, I did the first Endar Spire section, opened with the crawl and their first cinema, then before editing I logged and captured my game, taking my time, using the POV mode to 'get some shots' (ha! how ridiculous does this sound!) and doing what I could to pass the level while making it look cool.

Loaded it in my system, then I did a 3 color correcting method to almost 'skip bleach' the game, giving it a more realistic gritty feel (the cgi cinema movies benefited best from this), edited the opening section and used real SW music, into this thrilling 6 minute section, threw on a 2:35 matte to it and it looks great!

Wondering if anyone would be interested in this... it'll take some time, maybe I can get some clips up soon, It was fun to do and it keeps my editing fingers sharp while I'm stuck being the dvd/archive guy at a commercial company. Gotta have a creative outlet somewhere!

~Kaydon

Other fun stuff:

Kill Bill with Lightsabers:

http://members.aol.com/swamica2k3/billsaber.mov

SWIV Trailer as if we waited 20 years for it

http://members.aol.com/visionstudios2k2/trailerc.mov

Edited title at Kaydon's request

And again!

2. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    ive done something similar with this idea, only with the games DFII: Jedi Knight and SW: Starfighter, although not quite as labour-intensive. being lazy, i just took all the cinematic sequences off of the PC game discs and used RAD Video Tools to convert all of the files to .avi files, then used RAD again to combine all of the fles into one film, then just used TMPEG to convert to .mpeg for a VideoCD, so i could watch it on my DVD player. JK came out to about 30 min. and Starfighter about less than half that long, but both suffer from the lack of scenes and onscreen gameplay that establish the next scene. overall, it killed an afternoon and was a fun project, but again, i wasnt too serious with the manner in which i went about it. if you do a whole film with every scene from KOTOR, please let me know, id love to dl that and check it out, it sounds like an ambitious project, and probably fun to watch to boot...

:D

3. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Thanks... I just really want my roommate to see the *big twist*, and I know he won't play a game for 40+ hours to witness it. :) And I know a few years down the line, I'll be so thankful to pop in a dvd to watch the darn thing, sooo much easier!

4. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Are you gonna post?

5. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I tried something like this for Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy. Good luck. I will definatly want to see this. My friend has KOTOR, but I don't, so I rarely get to play it.

6. D_Alexander

D_Alexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    Sounds great. I don't have time to play games anymore, so this is a great chance to witness the storyline anyway. Keep us informed.

I thought about doing this with MGS a while back. After reading your ideas with KOTOR, I might pick up where I left of (that's working out ideas. I haven't actually started yet).

7. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    would anybody be willing to upload their work. I'd love to see these...KOTOT,JK,Starfighter...all of em

8. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Ya, that would rock! Kinda like a serious version of Red vs. Blue that uses the Halo engine (and now Halo 2).

I'm actually planning on making one of my own 'machinima' shorts using Halo 2. A bunch of friends of mine are going to begin production of a Stargate parody webseries this spring and my shorts are going to be used during little commercial breaks in the show, kinda like how the Simpsons use to be little shorts on the Tracey Ullman Show.

9. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I know that someone was planning on using the Jedi Academy engine for a KOTOR story, I think a "quick" (3 hour, maybe?) summary (definitly quick, considering the game lasts 35-40 hours).

10. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I am the one thats in Jedi Academy that is interested in doing a KOTOR movie. We have people making maps of the environments and making player models. I have also started voice casting, we have several roles already taken, but still plenty to be filled. I have some voice demos up on Jedi-Outcast Movie's forums, which is located here:
    http://jomovies.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=KOTOR. So if anyone is interested helping with voice talent please do.

11. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    i would post them but for a few things:

1) my computer sucks and is seriously lacking in HD space right now, much less able to upload anything
    2) i have no hosting space at the moment
    3) im in the process of taking everything off my comp so that when i get my new one, i havent lost anything
    4) Starfighter isnt worth uploading; its about 7 scenes that really dont mesh together well for a lack of gameplay sequences in between, so it really jumps from scene to the next

when i get everything in order, ill get JK up for yall. ive been trying to get the cinematic scenes off of X-Wing Alliance, Rebel Assault II and Jedi Outcast, but cant seem to convert the files to anything viewable or usable. these are all PC games, so if anybody has any ideas, let m know how you dealt with it. just want to do some edits with this stuff, for practice mostly...

12. Zappa_0

Jan 4, 2001
    Well im planning to use some of the cutscenes from the game itself for the big stuff. Ive already got some stuff converted for the movie itself. Just waiting for things to get done. Also those demos arent up since my hosting place is offline at the moment.

13. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Which ending will it have?
    Semi-Spolers:

Becoming the sith or the goody2shoes one?

14. The_Backwards_Jedi

The_Backwards_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    man that ep IV trailer was really good, makes me want to go watch ANH.

15. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Hi all,

All those ideas sound great. The KOTOR flick with Jedi Academy maps especially. Mine's a little more straight forward, using the KOTOR engine and its cinemas. Its funny, playing the game is like "on set", and then with all the footage logged seeing what you have to work with. Having directed a few short filmss in film school, I can say its somewhat similar (minus audio syncing and mutiple takes, of course) :)

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting practice at editing. Final Fantasy X would be a great one to do, too, because of all the heavy cinematics during its random battles.

As for KOTOR, I think the great thing about it, and what makes good practice, is as an editor deciding which is crucial. Its like if someone SHOT an entire 600 page novel, and then you edited in the editing bay instead of in the script writing software. SO MUCH fluff to deal with. What's important? Which characters deserve more time? Mission? Carth? etc, etc...

I'm leaving town for the weekend, but maybe I can get a clip up by next week. The Endar Spire sequence, which takes, what, 25 to 45 minutes to play in the game, maybe, takes up about 5 minutes of screen time, really making it intense.

~Kaydon

Another goodie, short film's trailer I did in film school:

http://www.cedarstreetproductions.com/images/Union.mov

16. Zappa_0

Jan 4, 2001
    Mostlikely go the Jedi Path, I like that story better anyways. But we will see how things goes, might do 2 films.

17. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Awesome. Twice the work, but in the end, twice the fun too.

And twice the voice strain. *Hopes he gets the part he auditioned for.*

18. D_Alexander

D_Alexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting practice at editing. Final Fantasy X would be a great one to do, too, because of all the heavy cinematics during its random battles.

I actually thought about doing that when I was in the shower this morning, right after i read your first post. I also thought of using movies that take place in Vana'diel (Final Fantasy XI) or World of Warcraft. Enough extras and different areas to pull of a nice story...

19. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    People started doing that sort of thing at around the Quake period, starting up LAN games (oftentimes with custom mods for the 'film') and having one person with noclip and fly on act as the camera, and ahving other people on their computers playing to be 'actors' in the scenes.

20. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    I've seen your OT trailers, and I absolutely wanna see this. Your editing is spectacular.

21. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Known formally as "machinima". Red vs. Blue, while certainly not the first, is probably the most well-known machinima project.

Because it pwnz.

"Who left the spleen ball where someone could trip on it? Simmons! I need your ovaries!"

22. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    While trying to rename the Warthog...

"Hey Simmons, what's the name of that Mexican lizard? That eats all the goats?"

"That would be the Chupacabra, sir!"

"Hey Griff... Chupathingy! How 'bout that? I like it. Got a nice ring to it!"

23. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    You don't have to post the contect, I'm sure we can get it ;)

Let's try not to derail... we've had plenty of page-long quote fests in the social thread.

24. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I really liked your ANH edit. Why the black on black text, though? The standard white on black would have been fine.

25. LiamMcBrackenbard

LiamMcBrackenbard Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Your Episode IV Trailer was stellar. As for the movie aspect of KOTOR I would like to see it done. I tried doing it with the first Metal Gear game. I was at a 2 and a half hour movie and was still on the first disk. SO I scrapped the project. But yeah I would defeinetly want to see KOTOR done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.