main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR THE MOVIE: EPISODE 2 UNDERWAY!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kaydon_Sentry, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaydon_Sentry

Kaydon_Sentry Jedi Master star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    The Rancor...

http://members.aol.com/swamica2k3/rancor.mov

2. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    You have some serious voice talent, I'm digging it so far, a DVD would be awesome. Keep at it man, it's looking good.

_Max

3. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    dude, those scenes are sweet! if this is as massive a project as youve alluded to, have you considered doing it in chapters, like Clone Wars, or are you going to release the whole thing at once? i, for one, am looking forward to seeing it as one whole film!

will there be a website you will create for this fanfilm, or will you just release it here on the boards?

cant wait to see the next clip...

:D

4. LiamMcBrackenbard

LiamMcBrackenbard Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I wanna see how you do the opening sequence aboard the ship as its attacked by Malak.

5. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Hey, looks great so far!

I have a suggestion about music. Why not use the game's music? I think we're all a little bored of the movie soundtracks. Don't know how to? Well, download Miles Sound Tools:

http://www.radgametools.com/mssdown.htm

Then, use it to decompress the WAV files in your SWKotOR/streammusic directory for listening and editing. NOTE: Only bother with the numbered/lettered (e.g. 01.wav, 04b.wav) files and anything "mus_." Also, credits.wav and evil_ending.wav. Don't bother with the "al_" stuff, it's not music...just static...I dunno.

So, with this method you could use the game's cantina music...perhaps it would be a slight improvement over the current track, eh? ;)

6. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Hi everyone... a few more questions to answer...

The techno music... hehehe, is staying! Sorry! :) And in the Lower City one its a slightly lighter version of techno, but in this version's universe, Taris is all about the rave scene. But its interesting how a lot of people dislike it... I just wanted something different from all the Cantina songs we're used to hearing... AND, (here comes the good news) there are so many cantina areas in the game I want to mix it up... no techno will return in any other cantina off planet from Taris, rest assured!

I will be using KOTOR music, of course... but I have a whole slew of GREAT, non-recognizable soundtrack music that will be placed throughout... mixed perfectly with the right amount of SW tracks as well. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

My ultimate goal is to do the game in 3, two hour dvd movies. And then, if I ever get the time... do 3 movies on KOTOR2, Sith Lords. It'd be like two movie trilogies. :) As for chapters... I might think about that sometime as I get closer to finishing the first DVD.

But I do appreciate the comments (and complaints, too!) and feel free to continue hating on the techno music... but it's in there! At least Greedo doesn't shoot first though, right?

~Kayd

Oh yeah... here's a clip of the opening... a sort of peace offering for the techno track, k? ;)

http://members.aol.com/swamisd/endar.mov

7. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Actually I was mainly talking about the places where you used John Williams music. It sounded like you were rejecting the game soundtrack when you said something like "added real SW music." But you aren't? I guess you have to use other music because there's only an hour and a half of game material and six hours of footage. :)

EDIT: Like with this Endar Spire cutscene, the game music is mus_theme_sith.wav in the streammusic directory. Miles Sound Tools! I mean, unless you really prefer the movie music for this scene...

8. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    A lot of the KOTOR music is filler, background music, like one would need to a game like that when you're exploring. If an event (say, the Ratghul attacking that guy in the Undercity) occurs, the music in the game keeps playing. I do my best to 'score' it, with cues from soundtracks. But I will def. use KOTOR music when appropriate. And I dig the Taris cantina song... I'll have to find a place for it as I get further along.

9. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Sounds good. Oh, another thing...in the stream music directory, the numbered/lettered stuff is cutscene music. For example, 06.wav is, I think, the cutscene where Malak orders the destruction of Taris, complete with Karath's footstep sounds. This music is written for the cutscenes and isn't filler music; for example, when Malak says, "You are dismissed," the music's like, "DUN-DUN-DUN..." So anyway, it would probably be a good idea to use this music. Maybe even turn the music on in the game and record it directly rather than layering it in later.

10. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    Awesome scenes. But, did you check the link I posted? It has forty some KOTOR songs, all of which would probably fit the scenes a little better. No offense, or anything. Just a suggestion to use the original KOTOR music. It would also add to the experience, since we don't have time to play the game and hear the music with what's going on.

Anyway, good job though.

-Semi

11. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    None taken, Semi. I have all 40 KOTOR songs, and I plan on using at least 80% of them. Let's remember here, though, I got 6 hours of edited movie (I want to do 3 two hour movies)... I have plenty of time to use the music as I get to parts that will benefit from them. But KOTOR has great music and I will definitely use it. Especially the Sith Base theme, Korriban Academy theme, Republic Theme, Bastila's... the sewers, ratghul attack... to name a few ;)

~Kaydon

P.S. Fans of the game: ideally, what would be the perfect 'planet order' to tell the story best. Broken down by movies. I really, REALLY want Logan (the main hero) leave for Korriban at the end of 1, like a cliff hanger... but I know walkthrus say otherwise. anyway, what is the best order for planets to tell a decent story?

12. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    If it were me I'd save Korriban for last but that's just my opinion. I believe I went to Kashyyk first when I played through the game.

13. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    KOTOR Episode 1 : Knights of the Old Republic

1. Endar Spire
    2. Taris
    3. Dantooine
    4. Tatooine

KOTOR Episode 2 : The Awakening Darkness

1. Korriban (MOST of the movie)
    2. Kashykk
    3. Leviathon (da twist)
    4, Manaan (very little if at all)

KOTOR Episode 3: Twilight of the Sith
    0. Maybe Mannan here?
    1. Unknown Planet
    2. Star Forge
    3. Epic Final Battle

14. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    In terms of gameplay time I would divide them up like this:

Episode I:
    Endar Spire
    Taris
    Dantooine

Episode II:
    Tatooine
    Kashyyyk
    Manaan
    Leviathan

Episode III:
    Korriban
    Unknown World
    Star Forge

BUT, that's gameplay time (to my estimation). But since you're making a movie, obviously things will be different...like, you say Korriban will be most of Episode II. I guess in your telling of this tale, the Sith Academy stuff is very important? That was my favorite place, it felt so cool to infiltrate the academy and basically sabotage everything (light or dark; either way).

By the way, with the music, I would caution against that forty- or forty-nine-track (?) soundtrack; it's incomplete and rearranged. Use Miles Sound Studio to get the music straight from the game. Oh, and at the LucasArts KotOR site, there's a piece of music that wasn't featured in the game. Area Music 2, I think. It starts off with a string melody and low, menacing piano notes.

15. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Hey, I was thinking about doing a KOTOR film by converting the models into 3ds Max and then making the movie from there. But, I think that would be way too hard, a lot of rendering.

Also, you have to get permission from Lucasarts first, I know Zappa_O and some other people were converting models, but you need to get permission before you do that stuff. I had made the KOTOR model pack mod for Jedi Academy and then Lucasarts said I couldn't put it up (and then someone else did but that wasn't my fault).

16. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    I would do it how Cerrabore said. Dantooine would be a good ending for the first one. The Leviathan would be a good epiphanatic ending for the second one (IE Luke being Vader's son). And of course the ending of the third one is where it stop at the victory ceremony. That's just me though.

_Max

17. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Wow! this movie is a really good idea. I can't wait to see it finshed!

18. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    This looks looks really good. I like the work you did by filming certain scenes from the first POV, like with the wipe from stealing the uniform to heading to the elevator where you can see a ship taking off. Likewise with the cantina, it gives it all a very cinematic atmosphere. Only thing I kinda dislike is that the main character talks without moving his lips, but I suppose that's pretty impossible to solve. Maybe you could film everything from behind him when he says something, but I suppose that would look rather odd as well.

I'm also very curious how you'll be doing the little invasion at the start. Will you also have the main character waking up and all, and be told what is going on?

In any case, I really like it, I might try something like this as well at some point. I had been working on a possible script, but this gives me a much better idea on what can be done as well with the game. Thanks for the inspiration.

19. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm also very curious how you'll be doing the little invasion at the start. Will you also have the main character waking up and all, and be told what is going on?

He's already posted a clip of that. ;) What happens is, Trask comes in and says something like, "We've got to find Bastila!" Then it cuts to them fighting Sith troopers.

20. burrie

May 27, 2000
    Aye, I only noticed later that he had already posted it. Nicely done tho', the editing gave the initial attack a very nice, intense pace.

EDIT: I've been doing a little bit of experimenting myself, and am currently thinking of trying to recreate KotOR into three movies as well, although with a slightly different structure. I have the PC version of the game, which has made it a bit tough for me to capture footage. At best, I can get 15 frames per second, which is a bit of a shame, but mostly, I think I just want to have a little project editing-wise.

However, there is perhaps also one little advantage of working with the PC version. Various fan-made tools have been released to slightly alter the content in KotOR, and initial testing have brought up some interesting results. I'm already thinking of changing the Endar Spire sequence slightly by adding a few more soldiers running along in the defense, and possibly adding T3-M4 on the Endar Spire as well, rescuing Carth and the main character. Sorta as a throwback to ANH where the droids were also on a ship under attack.

What's even more interesting is that it's pretty easy to change one of the party member's model into that of a main character. Utilising this, I think that it's pretty easy to shoot some additional footage of the main character talking.

It's a bit of a shame that I can only capture at 15 frames per second, else I would've loved to help you out here as well.

21. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    on a side note ... is there any way to get the music from the game off an XBOX disc? I couldn't find anything that worked, but I do have the four tracks from KOTOR I that lucasarts had on the website. I wish the website had the whole soundtrack for KOTOR I and II available ... its such great music.

22. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    It'll be difficult unless you've got a modded Xbox. Xbox discs are read differently (outside-to-inside, I believe) than PC ones, so you can't just pop it into your PC DVD drive and get the data out. If you had an Xbox with a modchip, you could FTP the data from the disc from your Xbox to your PC, but I don't know if you'd be able to get the music even if you had the data files.

23. burrie

May 27, 2000
    I did a bit of testing with trying to make the main character talk and well... see for yourself.

24. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    Finally got the endar clip downloaded, and I do have to say bro ... I was thinking before this thread how cool it would be if I could turn that into a movie, and well, you exceeded my expectations. Very nice.

is it a legal issue to ask someone to possibly e-mail me the music files from either of the KOTORs?

BTW, got the Republic Commando soundtrack d/led ... super cool, has a couple great ambience style tracks for fan films.

25. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Another sequence from the opening, it was way early on so its not the most polished of clips. But it's online so I figured I'd show it...

http://members.aol.com/swamisd/spire.mov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.