main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR: The Movie Episode 2 UNDERWAY!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kaydon_Sentry, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Awesome work. :cool: Haven't even seen the movie but that cover looks almost professional quality.

2. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm nowhere near as graphically talented as Subject Zero (fancy meeting you here :p ), but he's been kind enough to let me use his fantastic artwork for my own cover art. Thanks again, dude!

I'd planned on just using "Kaydon Sentry" in my covers' credits, rather than his real name. Kaydon, which would you prefer?

3. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    Heh, a 3 year college diploma and 5 years in graphic design will do that to you! I've finalized the designs for the DVDs. The spine is much closer to the PT DVD box art and the back has been a bit reorganized. Some slight changes to the covers as well.

I plan on modifying episode 2 and 3 when they come out a slight bit.

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep1-v2.jpg]

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep2-v2.jpg]

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep3-v2.jpg]

Onto the actual disc design!

4. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    I'm downloading the movie right now, but at 4kb/s it will take me 2 weeks. That is somewhat of a shame.

5. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    Thanks for the covers.. Now I can make a DVD!

6. Kaydon_Sentry

Kaydon_Sentry Jedi Master star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    FAQ's almost done - should I post the whole thing here, or in segments? Does TFN have a character-limit? If so I'll post like 25 questions in four different posts, maybe separated by day? There are three sections totalling 100 questions from emails and posts here and on other boards. KOTOR Episode 1, KOTOR Episodes 2/3 and finally General/Technical Questions. Whats the best route?

LOVE those DVD covers, thanks for emailing them to me, too, guy! My only issue with it would be the lack of HK/T3 and the Selkath in Episode 1 yet they're on there. Love how you made Logan out of Bao Dur. I think an ideal poster would have Calo nord on it, something with Kashyyyk or Wookies, Logan of course, and maybe aligng the bottom with a skyline of taris (even mid-attack)? don't know. But those covers look great - backsides of them too are nice. Email me when you can Subject Zero - we can talk more there...

7. Randy1012

Jan 26, 2007
    I didn't see anything about character limits in the Help section, Kaydon, so I think you'd be okay.

I'd take a stab at making a custom Episode I poster myself, but I'm not good enough at cropping out stuff from one picture and rearranging them into a new one, it wouldn't look nearly as good as Subject Zero's stuff. By the way, Zero, how did you get the 20th Century Fox, Lucasfilm, LucasArts, and BioWare logos golden to match the color scheme? I'm going with a bronze scheme (to match the gold PT and silver OT DVDs), but I have no idea how to turn the logos into a different color. I've tried color overlays and gradiant overlays, but they aren't coming out properly.

Kaydon, will you mention all your music sources in the FAQ? The John Williams and Jeremy Soule pieces are obvious, but other than those and Basil Poldeouris' Starship Troopers theme, I couldn't place the other stuff you used.

8. Sith_Holocron_2

Sith_Holocron_2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2006
    Subject Zero,

A) The font for the movie titles on the spine (excepting logos of course) is actually Trajan. (Trajan also comes in a professional version called - fittingly - Trajan Pro)

B) Will you be updating the covers with Kaydon's titles once he produces them?

Sith_Holocron_2

EDIT: I wasn't specific in the first draft to where on the DVD the titles should be in Trajan.
    I also believe Trajan is heavily used on the KOTOR boxes themselves so it would tie the movies to the box artwork. Anyway, enough of my jabberin'

9. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    The KOTOR Movie Trilogy
    Frequently Asked Questions
    01/2007

Hey all...with my schedule being so hectic lately, I decided to compile all the questions that were emailed to me, or otherwise ignored in the forums due to my lengthy absences. The excitement has settled a bit from the release of KOTOR Episode 1, and as we get set for production of KOTOR Episode 2, I thought it was a great time to fully address some of your great questions, comments, and concerns. So here we go... we'll start with general and technical questions, then move onto questions regarding Episode 1... and finally we'll wrap things up with what I think is the most interesting section, based on the two follow-up sequels (Episodes 2 & 3) Enjoy!!! ---Kevin

(Editor's Note: You'll notice this section is labeled 'III', thats because on the official FAQ it is the last section, but I wanted to start with this section on the boards)

III. GENERAL/MISC QUESTIONS/ TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

By the way, what country are you from Kaydon?
    I am from the United States, born and raised in Southern California actually- though I've temporarily relocated to Austin, TX for a movie shooting late Spring/early Summer.

How did you create those mysterious camera movements?
    The is a "free roam camera" cheat in the X-Box version- I have it memorized when I'm "in production" (ha, sounds silly), but it escapes me now. Check out gamefaqs.com under KOTOR and you should find out how to do it.

How did you place Atton in the cantina and Atris in the council [in Episode 1]?
    Atton in the club was easy, I simply grabbed footage from him in KOTOR2 in the Polar Region base next to a cantina-looking wall. I then color corrected it in Final Cut Pro to match the general color scheme of the club on Taris. Atris was a bit more tricky, the results of which I'm only about 50% happy with. I composited her into a background shot of the Jedi council on Dantooine, using Adobe AfterEffects to digitally remove her from footage of KOTOR 2. Adding her line was tough too, considering I added her to existing fully-edited footage. It was late in the editing process, so the music was already laid in- not fun!

I have one question for you: what programs/tools did you use to make this amazing movie? What software did you use?
    Thanks for the compliment! I used Final Cut Pro to import and edit the footage, Cool Edit Pro for some of the more difficult music transitions (and to create a few sound effects), Adobe AfterEffects for adding the sabers to the training sequence and any compositing work, and DVD Studio Pro to buid the actual DVD. I also created the DVD menus in Final Cut Pro. Video work was done on a Mac, a lot of the audio work was done on a PC.

Can't you photoshop some hair onto Logan's head? LOL
    I like the fact that our main hero is bald - I know it goes a tad against the norm of the Star Wars movies, but then again this takes place 4000 years before, so...

How did Kaydon capture the movie and load it into his computer?
    For the first 70 minutes of the film the original footage was filtered from the X-Box into a VCR and then out to a Cannon GL camera, then loaded directly into FCP using the log and capture feature. For the last 50 minutes, the original footage was imported into the GL straight from the X-Box into a TV (with monitor capabilities) - which made the quality a lot better. Expect that method for Episodes 2 and 3.

I've been watching your KOTOR movies on youtube and I really want to see the whole thing and I think I read something about a DVD with the whole first episode... How can I get this DVD?
    As far as me sending out hard copies of the DVD, I wouldn't hold my breath. There are a lot of legal matters and crossroads to deal with on that end, so I want to be safe. However, there is a torrent up at piratebay.com - search "Knights of the Old Republic", it should be near the top. You can get it that way. There's a DIVX version of the movie float

10. Randy1012

Jan 26, 2007
    I actually have another question for you, you can add it to your FAQ or whatever...why was the Wookiees' (two E's, by the way; you spelled it "Wookie" in the movie ;)) grammar so poor? The subtitles for every other non-Basic speaking alien were fine, but the subtitles for the Wookiee dialogue made them sound like children.

11. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    That's an Episode 1 question, and in the section, but I'll lift from the FAQ since you asked tonight:

This was an artistic decision made by me, only because I remember playing through the game my first time it just felt odd that the Wookiee (with two e's!) captions were so intelligent sounding. Not to say that they aren't intelligent as a species, I guess through making it broken English, I'm inferring that's how a direct-to-basic translation of their growls would be, as interpreted by our heroes. I won't budge on that one! I don't think I'll have the Selkath captions go this route, however [in Episode 2].

12. Randy1012

Jan 26, 2007
    Right, that's what I figured your reasoning was, I was just curious. Thanks. :) It does make sense.

13. Subject Zero

Mar 13, 2000
    Glad everyone's liking the covers! Thanks for the FAQ too Kaydon, I was curious if it was going to be SW: KOTOR: EP 1: KOTOR or just SW: EP 1: KOTOR. I've had to modify the title from the original ripped from the game (which I've always thought was too stylized anyway) to a slightly simpler design. The change isn't really that dramatic.

Those are low resolution copies of them (photobucket scales the sizes down to web sizes) the final versions will be larger and look better if you want to wait.

Yeah, chalk that up to being reluctant to really mess with the original game cover. I'm going to try and change it to accomadate some of those changes, but I can't really promise too much. I'll e-mail you when I get a chance.

I took Black and White logos and used them as a mask layer. Then I just coloured in the actual layer whatever colour I wanted with a pain bucket.

Ah! Excellent! I never new which font was correct for use on the covers! Fortunately, I have a very large font collection and Trajan is part of it, expect some more changes!

Yep! As the new titles come in, I'll put them together. Like I said, I've already modified the title for the first film so that the next two titles will match up perfectly colour wise and with design aesthetics.

Actually, Kaydon, another question for you, Manaan and Korriban, which episodes do each of those show up in? If Korriban is in episode 2, I'll probably change the back of that case to Korriban so I can keep with the environments in the back instead of the space battle.

Updates coming soon!

14. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Quickly - Episode 2 features Manaan, Dantooine (briefly), Tatooine, The Leviathon, Yavin IV, and then a destroyed Dantooine - in that order. For your reference! Second posting of the FAQ (KOTOR Episode 1 questions) will post tonight! Lots of Episode 2 stuff srpinkled in the answers too...!

15. Sith_Holocron_2

Sith_Holocron_2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2006
    Just a thought . . . why not include the hi-res covers for Episode 1 and 2 with the Torrent for Episode 2?

Looking forward to hearing more of the FAQ's (and answers). I've already sent the people that have a thread up at Team-Gizka.org to the Fan Film Thread so they can get more information from the source.

16. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    Forgot the last question of the FAQ (and of General Questions)...

100. Will you ever do another trilogy based on KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords?

Depends on one very important thing, truthfully? and that?s how good KOTOR 3 (the game) will be. But still, most likely not. However there is someone else (Lord2 at TFN) that is working on a Sith Lords trilogy, and I?m looking forward to that. If anything ? I?ll let that be and do a trilogy for the third and what will most likely be the final chapter in the Revan saga! That might be the best route.

Oh - and thanks for spreading the word Sith_Holocron 2! I appreciate it...

17. Kaydon_Sentry

Jan 24, 2001
    I. KOTOR Episode 1 : Knights of the Old Republic QUESTIONS

1. Were you considering creating a DVD of deleted scenes? I believe you've mentioned you were cutting down plot lines and characters to speed up the movie. Perhaps those sort of scenes could be on a separate disc?
    Surprisingly Episode 1 didn?t really have that many deleted scenes? I knew going in what I wanted to include so I didn?t just go film every single side-quest or battle. I also was working with limited disk space since I had my professional projects on it as well? but I think I?ll be getting a new hard drive for Episode 2, which will allow me more space to keep scenes and sequences I deleted. Maybe even compile a gag reel for kicks. We?ll see!

2. Have you considered a commentary track?
    Don?t really know how I?d go about that ? but in respect to the creators of the game who?d probably have more interesting things to say than me! Unless enough people demand it I guess, I?d say there probably won?t be one.

3. Where can you download it (Episode 1)?
    You can download it by go to www.piratebay.org and search for Knights of the Old Republic for the DVD. Check the TFN forums for a DIVX version of it.

4. Well I wonder why Logan has a more like gray head on Taris and more like a brown head on Kashyyyk. He looks sick!
    Yeah, a couple people have mentioned that. Early on I was trying to really skip-bleach the scenes in Taris to make it feel more cold and gritty (especially the Endar Spire sequence), and looking back I?d do it differently. But to achieve certain color schemes, sometimes the characters? skin tones get affected. It was not meant to infer he was sick or anything like that. Kashyyyk definitely had the more warm colors, as opposed to Taris and the Spire. Look for less of that in Episode 2, for sure.

5. How come we never see Gadon Thek again after the big swoop race?
    That?s something that I thought only bugged me? I never got back around to him and I wish I had. Just no time! I was thinking of being clever and at the end of Episode 3 having an end celebration kinda like ROTJ stretch along all the planets (including a rebuilding Taris!) ? and have Gadon Thek somewhere around celebrating as well. What do you guys think?

6. Kaydon, is there any cover art available for the first Episode?
    None currently that I made, but Darth Rictor at TFN made a pretty good one, ask him to send it to ya... I think I'll work on one eventually.. but I got a big move coming up so I'll be pretty busy through the holidays... over at originaltrilogy.com some of the users there have come up with some solid designs ? take a look in their forums section. A new set of covers for all three movies just got uploaded at TFN too, thanks to Subject Zero! They look great!

7. Why was Atris in one scene [on Dantooine] but not in the next?
    My official story is she headed to Telos immediately following the first council meeting to report on things there at the Polar Region. The real reason is I just didn?t find a place for her again, and I wasn?t 100 percent happy with her first appearance so I left her out. At that point I wanted no distractions to the plot and story, considering that second scene is basically the set up for the next two movies!

8. I just watched the film and it blew me away. I haven't had a Star Wars experience like that since I saw Revenge of the Sith. Thank you so much for making this film. I cannot wait until the rest are out! Could you list all the movie soundtracks you used for the music in this film? I would really like to make a soundtrack for this movie.

Thanks for the compliment, it really means a lot. I know while editing that there were big time KOTOR fans out there, so I was hoping for that type of reaction ? almost like it was a long time coming getting a ?movie? based on KOTOR. So that makes it all worth it. As for the soundtrack, I already finished one for Episode 2? this time BEFORE making it obviously, and most likely much of it will change, it?s

18. Subject Zero

Mar 13, 2000
    Alrighty guys, this is the updated cover for Episode 1 (with changes suggested by Kaydon) and Episode 2 (the cover was too plain). Episode 2 needs a tad more tweaking but it's so close to being done that only I'd notice the difference... well, besides the name change of the title.

Also, for feedback purposes, does anyone mind the new look for the title "Knights of the Old Republic"? I made it look more like KotOR 2 but took out the graphicallization (not a word, I know) of it.

The episode 1 cover is finished so if anyone wants a high res copy of it, PM me and I'll send a high res copy to you with crop marks and bleeds!

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep1-v2-1.jpg]

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep2-v2-1.jpg]

19. masterzionosis

masterzionosis Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2007
    ahhh, i like Ep2 cover, with Bandon, nice work zero.

20. Randy1012

Jan 26, 2007
    I actually prefer your original Episode II cover, it had a very "ESB-ish" feel to it, IMO. I can understand your inclusion of Darth Bandon (since he and Karath are supposed to serve as the mini-antagonists in this one, like Calo in Episode I), but I don't think it's necessary.

By the way, I don't have the Trajan font (sadly)--could you e-mail it to me, please? :)

21. Subject Zero

Mar 13, 2000
    Thanks! More on this in a second since it ties in with the next comment....

I actually added him because the cover seemed to be lacking a third element in my eyes. It was too plain (glad you picked up on the ESB vibe tho!). Personally, I'd rather have added a bust of Bandon between him and the Leviathan to keep with that feel. Unfortunately, I can't find a large enough image so I had to make do with what I had.

I've modified it s slight bit, cleaned it up a slight bit.

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep2-v2-2.jpg]

Unfortunately, the version I have only works with Adobe Type Manager so if I gave it to you it would be useless unless you also had Type Manager. That and it's not a free font. Sorry!

:(

One other thing, I HAVE made a DVD label as well.

[image=http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Subject_Zero/DVD-Ep1-disc.jpg]

22. Randy1012

Jan 26, 2007
    No, I don't have Type Manager; curses! And Trajan's not a free font? Double curses! It's a really nice font, too, I'd love to have it in my collection. Why must fonts cost, like, $20 each?! :mad:

Nice DVD label.

23. masterzionosis

masterzionosis Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2007
    You know i am not mocking the label, its good but i think it needs a bit of ironing out, to make it as good as the covers.

24. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    ZERO the cd cover would be cool to have but.. it would cripple the CD if I'd paste it over it, sadly :(
    EDIT: Spellling!

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You buy CD stickers and print on them, and then stick them on; it doesn't harm the CD. Or you buy printable DVDs and print straight on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.