main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR timeline question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fanboyskywalker, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I am looking everywhere and I can't get the dates straight. Is it:

1. Tales of the Jedi
    2. Kotor - the comic
    3. Kotor - the game

???

How far is the KOTOR comic set after TOTJ, and how far is the game set after the first issue of the KOTOR comic? Please help, I'm reading KOTOR now and it's really bothering me.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Era

The Wook knows all. :)

3. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Ahum... psssstttt...

http://www.starwarstimeline.com/index%20day-to-day%20events%20-%202%20-%20Republic.htm

http://www.starwarstimeline.com/Main%20Events%20Index%20-%202%20-%20Republic.htm

4. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey thanks! Thanks a lot!

So there's only 7 years between the start of KOTOR the comic and the start of KOTOR the game? Forgive me, I'm just getting into this KOTOR business. Is it intended to lead into the game?

I would LOVE an adaptation of the game since I'm not familiar with the story other than the overall picture. I've only played the first one, sadly.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The comic focuses primarily on original characters and events set against the backdrop of larger events from the backstory of the game, but does have a few cameos and supporting roles for characters and locations that appear or are mentioned in the game, setting up things in the background for the game's plot.

Theoretically, if the comic keeps going in a linear fashion, it would eventually coincide with events from the game. It's hard to say if this will ever happen though- the series has been around for 2.5 years and has probably only covered about a year's worth of story-time. If that pace remains consistent, the amount of real-time it would take to cover an additional 6 years of story would require KOTOR run for about twice the length of the longest-running SW comic series (the original Marvel comics series, which lasted about 9 years) in addition to it's present run, and more than twice the run of the most modern long-running series, Republic/Dark Times.

Unless they skip ahead at some point, which i don't seem them doing (I would gather the preferred attitude at DHC would be "why adapt when you could create?"), I don't see game events being adapted as part of the current KOTOR series (except for flashforward force visions or something of the kind).

6. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Oh I see. Thanks for that, Quest!

I hope they do adapt the game or tie it in somehow. I think it stinks that this great comic series is obviously setting up for the game, but eventually just ends when the game begins and we're excepted to have played or own a game that is on an outdated game system in order to finish the story.

Granted, I don't know where JJM is taking the comic, but I seem to remember it starting because of the success of the game (hence the KOTOR title) so that would imply to me that it is supposed to be connected.

Well, as long as JJM knows what he's doing (and I'm sure he does) and has an arc and ending to his series I'll be happy.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There are definitely connections, as I said, but they're usually not the focus of the plot- people who played the game will catch the setups for Revan, Malak, etc. Taris and it's undercity get a lot of page time, we're seeing the outbreak of the Mandalorian Wars, etc, etc. People who never played the game might not catch the references, but they won't know they're missing out on anything, so it appeals to all readers.

Also, KOTOR is not stuck on an outdated system- it'll play on a 360 plus there's a PC version for almost everyone else.

Another reason why they are probbaly focusing on mostly original characters for the primary cast is so that the series can tell a whole story. Yes, certain things set up the events of the game, but at the same time, the comics can complete the majority of those character story arcs without having to end the last issue with a note saying "to see what happens to our hero- go play KOTOR!".

8. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Seven years is a loooooong time to have the galaxy in a constant state of very destructive warfare. First the Mando's nuking planets to pieces and then the Sith bringing the Starforge to bear on the shaken Republic. Not to mention the fact that the Jedi Order looks like it's falling apart already..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.