main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTR II Sith Lord Mask

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadySythe, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySythe

LadySythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    I'm a custom costume maker and currently I'm collecting parts for my new Sith costume. But I have one problem: the mask.

Here is a pic example of mask:
    KOTR II game cover

Here is a comic style design of costume:Sith costume

I don't know exactly how to create it (ie: materials, etc) I've been looking for a high quality crafter's mask, but Michaels doesn't seem to carry them any longer and Ben Franklin Crafts used to, but is now closed locally. If anyone has any suggestions to materials, or links to people who can make it, please post away!!

Lady Sythe

2. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Ok you want to make the Darth Nihilus mask. I am also working on this costume. Ok I haven't gotten too far with it yet so all I can share are what my plans are on how to create this myself.

First I found a full face craft mask at Micheals but you can also try JoAnns or another arts & crafts store in your area. When I have the time to set aside I plan to trace out the parts I want to cut away and then carefully take a exato knife and trim away the jaw, nose, bottom half of checks and widen the eye holes. Sand all cut surfaces until smooth. You might want to repaint the mask in white again but that is up to you.

After that I plan to paint on those red markings over the eye area and create the black design on the forehead with sclupty clue and glue it on since in the pics it looks to be pretuding from the forehead instead of painting it on.

Now if you also want advice on the Hood, which is a seperate piece from Nihilus' cape, let me know and I'll continue from there.

3. LadySythe

LadySythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    Sounds pretty much what I had planned lol But every time I went to Michaels, they were always sold out, so I can't seem to find 2 (an extra just incase I mess up on the first.) And Joan Fabrics just had the generic ones you really can't do anything with except for kids parties. Ben Frankil crafts has closed where I live and that used to be the only place that sold the high quality, thick plastic masks I need.

I plan to (once mask is sculpted, painted, etc) attach the mask to a pull over black cowl I can either make or buy somewhere - possibly at a military surplus store. Any suggestions on that?

I am unsure as to the creation of the inner folds beneath the hood. I was thinking of getting some stabalizer to stiffen it as well as the hood. I'm pretty crafty, but I'm not too sure as to how to create the highly detailed mask...erm... jewelry??? I have to stick to the cheap route. I wanted to find someone who can sculpt the whole mask, but that's gonna be expensive [face_worried]

Anyway, thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm not the only one attempting to make this mask! :D

LS

4. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Someone has made the mask out of resin and is selling it on ebay for way too much money.

I am creating a cowl with an "invisible" mask to cover my face. I plan to just velcro or snap the white mask to it so I can remove it easily enough when I need to.

As far as the shaping for the cowl/hood itself, I have a couple of ideas but haven't tried anything yet. I first thought of using craft wire but I don't think it will work. Once I start to tinker with it some I will be able to let you know what I plan to do to get the right shape but also keep it lightweight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.