main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTR II: The Sith Lords is it worth getting? if so how does it compare to number 1?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSithLord, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It has no plotholes that I'm aware of...

Some things weren't cut out properly, but that has nothing to do with the plot.

The technical parts of the game are better than in the first, apart from bugs, which are about the same. Length is quite similar, maybe TSL is even a bit longer. Gameplay is superior to the first one.
    The only weakness KOTOR II has, is that they didn't manage to cut out material in a way that left the game complete. Now you have many lose ends, which aren't explained the way they were supposed to.

2. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Whatever still has lots of holes that shouldve been filled but LA rushed OE so now K2 is screwed, OE even went back to them and asked if the could release an expansion pack or a patch but LA for some reason said no.But thats not what we're discussing right now, so lets get back on topic.

I honestly can ,in my opinion, say K1 beats K2 hands down,K2 couldve beat K1 to a pulp if LA didn't rush OE, but since that happened K2 is screwed, so K1 beats it in my opinion

3. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    DSL, I bet you want to buy KOTOR2 only to know who's right [face_laugh]

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

As my review said, the influence system works against you. No one will talk to you unless you please them correctly, and that means constantly shuffling your party composition to speak with the right shop seller or citizen present. Not only does Korriban have NO influence opportunity, if you play Nar Shadda last or 2nd last you don't have time to influence Mira at all.

The game's too short for this system, and it's more effort than enjoyment.

And why Jedi your companions when your main player will saber entire groups before they finish one? By the time you do transmogrify them the game's almost over, their powers are weak. And be warned: how exciting is it to Force Storm or Scream up to 8 foes dead in one or two hits so often?

The enemies are not compensated the sharper you become.

You don't have to flurry or power hit them; simple wacks can kill them fast. That doesn't work in KOTOR, where enemy toughness advances as you do too, and you have to battle for your life.

Look, as I said you're going to buy it because you know what KOTOR was like. Amazon word limits constrained only half of what I could say.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Just because a game isn't as good as the first one it is screwed?

One minor point and it went from "having the potential to be much better" to "being extremely bad"?

KOTOR II doesn't have lots of holes that need to be filled. It either needs the restauration of some cut material or the cutting of things that were left in the game but don't fit anymore.
    We are talking about maybe 5% of the storyline, maybe even less.

Even the way it is now, it's still one of the best games in the last few years. It got enough critical acclaim and great player ratings to be considered a fantastic game. Not as good as the first one, but hardly any game could top the amount of awards the first one got.

@Excellence
    You are wrong about influence, it works both ways...

The game isn't too short to get enough influence, especially not with Mira. Just talking to her is enough to get all the influence you need.

npcs turned jedi don't look weak to me, if you know how to level up properly they can turn out to be extremely powerful. Handmaiden with some force powers is strong enough to destroy anything faster than the Exile ever could.

KOTOR II is much easier than the first one (although not so much the main bad guys, they are push overs, but that's true for Malak and Bastila as well), but you are wrong about the enemies strength not advancing the way you do, it is exactly the same system as in KOTOR.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I made Mira a Jedi as soon as I met her, and Atton fairly quickly. The only one I ran into trouble with was HK, and that's mainly because I was playing lightside and you have to be nasty to gain with him.

7. Pavlos

Pavlos Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    I don't think that was the only interesting thing in the game, and if you talked to Kreia for more than five seconds at the end of the game you would have realised that was not her goal- it was to preserve the natural order of the galaxy and to prepare you so you could help Revan. But let's not take this any further, I don't want to spoil anything for our friend

8. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    LANDO, you're always ranting on about how KOTOR games sucks but you never really go into detail about what makes them suck and what they lack. All you say is...They suck!.

To me that isn't valuable information to prove that it isn't a good game. Not that I'm dogging your opinion or anything because if you don't like the game then thats fine. If you want to bash the game then that is fine. Just alteast when you're bashing, give details about what makes this game so horrible that it can be....bashed. That way people will understand and respect your comments more.

9. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    I suppose you never cared to do the darkside or opposite sex versions of the game either, huh? I find it hard to believe that you found this game that bad that you had to play through it a few times. Or are you just lying to validate your point? Besides, no one ever even said you need a different difficulty level to get a new experience. You never got any good items because you likely picked everything up while you were still at a low level. Unless you did 80% of the side quests and got as far as you could go with influence on all the characters and picked up all the bonuses and easter eggs, I don't want you saying this game has poor replay value. I know for sure there are dozens of levels, quests and items you never found and never even heard of. Until you check up on these sorts of things I don't think you should make stupid comments like that.

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Oissan: KOTOR II doesn't have lots of holes that need to be filled. It either needs the restauration of some cut material or the cutting of things that were left in the game but don't fit anymore. We are talking about maybe 5% of the storyline, maybe even less.

No way 5 percent. Korriban's heavy editing made a visit pointless, and no influence opportunity either; deleted Trailer material aside, you did absolutely nothing of substance. Secondly, Dantooine was blasted short. An entire (droid) world was cut out, too; to say nothing of the droid factory scene.

You lost at least 1.5 worlds of exploration. All up, I make it over a 1/3 of the game.

I couldn't detail all of them, but in formulating my review I compliled every positive point and negative---the latter counting to 35 faults between game play design and technical glitches---neither of which was invisible during testing and development.

11. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    The only point of going there was the force cave's anyways.

12. Cursive

Cursive Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2005
    Considering that Kotor II has been out for a while now you should be able to pick one up at a local game store used or you can go on to ebay and find them cheap. So why not pick one up, I've seen some go on ebay for as low as $20. If you also play every class (Guardian,etc.) on both genders you will get your moneys worth out of it.

13. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    If your played and liked KOTOR then I suggest you get KOTOR II. Although I personally feel that KOTOR II is a much weaker game compared to it's predecessor, it's still worth playing, and you will enjoy most of it.

What matters most to me in an RPGs like KOTOR is the story. How long is it? How much does it draw you in? How many paths are there for you take? Are there any Gotcha moments?

KOTOR II starts off with a bang, and ends with a whimper. The first half of the game is awesome, there are so many plot threads going on, so many questions to find answers to, and so many possibilities for it all to end.

But eventually you find out that all the plot threads just sort of dissapear. They're not resolved, they just never come back. One minute you're attacked by HK-50 replica droids who for some reason have a vendetta against you. Why? Where are they coming from? Answers that are promised you never come, in fact, after about the third level, you never even see them again. They're just gone.

Playing the game I got the sense that ALOT was missing. And that KOTOR II should have been an AWESOME game. If it had been given the time needed it would have superceded it's predecessor. If the story had been completed, and the minor plot threads finished then KOTOR II would have been an excellent sequel.

But it wasn't. And so the game is really just "okay". I liked it, because I liked the first one. But I felt cheated when I completed it. Yes, it gives you an ending, but the ending is not suitable for the story that was given to you. It doesn't close any plot threads at all.

Some say, "Well it's suppose to be like that. It's not suppose to give you the answers, that's for the next game. This is the Empire Strikes Back of KOTOR."

And to that, I call BS. People should not delude themselves and think that the reason the story in KOTOR II is bad, is because it was meant to be that way. The evidence is in the game discs themselves. We can all see the content that was deleted from the game. It is clear that KOTOR II was suppose to have alot more story then it did. And that the orginal ending actually closed plot threads, and involved the individual memebers of your party, making them an intergral part of the story. It is clear that much of the story was cut, and that the ending we ended up with was a half assed attempt to make up for it.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

At moment, my KOTOR 2 is 4.3 gigs in size. That after one playthrough of the game. I installed the huge graphics patch then deleted the files. So it could cost you over 5 whole gigs of memory.

And the graphics patch still leaves the movies fragmented!

Ask yourself, do you really want this oversized skeleton?

If the company doesn't care to fix after a year, why do you care to make them richer?

15. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Ummmm, isn't that how all 2nd Acts are? Empire Strikes back opens up all of these questions and stuff that aren't answered at the end. ESB ended with Han Solo captured and sent to Tatooine to by enslaved by Jabba. However we never found out what happens next. ESB reveals that Vader is Luke's father and whatnot. But thats it, it never goes into detail. ESB reveals the Emperor and his motives with Vader/Luke, however ESB never goes into more detail and the movie just ends with us not knowing what happens next. Enter Return of the Jedi. It explains the fate of Han Solo, it goes into more detail about Vader being Luke's father and how he was once Anakin and blah blah blah. It shows us what the Emperor really wanted with Vader/Luke and how he tried to let Luke kill Vader so Luke can be his new Apprentice.

Attack of the Clones ends with all these unasnwered questions. Questions about what is Dooku's real motives and how does he tie into this Clone War thing. Questions about what is Palpatine really thinking about/planning? Questions about how will Anakin continue on his life now that he is married....something that Jedi must never do. Enter Revenge of the Sith, the 3rd Act that answers all of the questions.

In other words, KOTOR 2 is the 2nd part of a larger story, a story that will end with KOTOR 3. It may be til 2007 or 2008 when we finally get KOTOR 3, but it is indeed coming. Its common for 2nd Acts to end with unanswered questions. KOTOR 2 was SUPPOSED to end like that, leaving us in the dark and unclear just like AOTC and ESB. And just like ROTS and ROTJ, KOTOR 3 will finish it all. It will make KOTOR 1 more understandable and it will make KOTOR 2 more understandable.

Once KOTOR 3 comes out and once you play it and beat it. THEN you will see what KOTOR 2 was all about. Then it will make sence to you and clear up some questions. However there is no K3 yet so you are SUPPOSED to be in the dark and not knowing whats going on. Just like a typical Act 2.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I must have played a different copy---Sith Lords doesn't start with a bang. From my review . . .

KOTOR starts with a bang and Taris diversity to impress. Your bang here is a choppy intro movie, slaying foes with weak weapons in single hits half naked, your first vista of new face templates an afro-haired geek, unattractive ladies and a Lando clone. Hunters are coming, surrounded by volatile explosives, and the outcome is obvious. Kiss my Vadering breath, your dramatic movie/music of the heated escape is abruptly stop-started-stop-started with loading screens!

17. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I love KOTOR to bits.

I've played KOTOR 2 once as a darksider.
    now I'm attempting it for the second time but as a lightsider.

I still prefered KOTOR myself.

Sequeals rarely match up to the originals.

18. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Is anyone scared when they can understand Excellence with ease?

19. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said already, but KOTOR 2 isn't as good as KOTOR 1. There isn't anything spectacular about the plot. All the characters have potential to be really interesting, but since the game was rushed they don't really got too deep (except maybe for Kreia). I found Atton to be really annoying. Obviously they tried to make an alternative 'scoundrel' but it really didn't work. Bao Dur had so much potential, i think, to being a truly fascinating character but no...never happened. And at the end of the game i thought "THAT'S IT?!?!?!?!"

So you decide, buy it if u want but be prepared to be mildly disappointed.

20. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    True, but there are smaller things about KOTOR 2 that KOTOR didn't have.

The ability to build your own lightsaber is something that is spreaded throughout all Star Wars EU lore. KOTOR 2 actually lets you do that. You just don't start off with a lightsaber or just get one once you complete jedi training like Jedi Outcast and KOTOR. In KOTOR 2 you find bits and pieces of lightsaber parts and you use them to create your own person and unique saber. I believe that there are like 1000+ combinations that you can have in terms of lightsabers. Everything from color crystals, focusing lens etc etc etc. The only thing that KOTOR 2 didn't have was different hilts.

I also liked how the KOTOR 2 story had a lot of ethical, moral, and philosphical elements to it, something that KOTOR didn't have. Yes in KOTOR you can do good or bad but K2 only expanded on that idea. What is good? What is bad? Does doing good can create bad in the long run? Does doing bad can create good in the long run? K2 reveals to us these ideas.

Maybe thats just me though, I know that a lot others doesn't see it through that perspective.

21. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    No not in entirally, I want KOTOR just to complete the story.

22. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Huh?

23. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002

Lord-Draco.... Although I appreciate your love of the KOTOR series, I have to disagree with you on your points above. As a second act KOTOR 2 failed. Did it have potential?...Yes, but it never lived up to it. ESB's ending left everybody speechless. You were so stunned by the revelatons at the end of the movie that you couldn't wait to have them resolved in ROTJ. KOTOR 2 ended and I was left saying, "OK?...Is it over? Did I miss something?" There were no massive revelations...The exile wasn't Revan's son or daughter...Atton or the Disciple weren't kidnapped by Revan and taken to the unkown regions with the Exile following on their heels.

We all know the story by now that the game was rushed and elements that would have created a more complete and fulfilling story were omitted in the interest of time. That said, KOTOR 2 did have some well thought out features such as influence and weapons and armor upgrade. In the end I'm not sure if any developer is going to be able to completely reconcile the mess that LA made of the KOTOR 2 plot. Anyway you cut it there will be major holes.

24. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Does the story really need a mass revelations? The story was still driven in a great direction and at a great pace in my opinion. Perhaps are point of views have eroded after time but I think Kriea turning completely evil was a bit of a shocker at one point in the game. From the Jedi Enclave on the story does take a very exciting turn of events.

25. jedijoker

jedijoker Chosen One star 8

Jul 6, 2004
    KOTR I story is much better that II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.