main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kreia's philosophies and view on the Force (KOTOR 2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 22, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    What do you think of her philosophies and views of the Force?

Unlike Han Solo who scoffed at the notion of the Force controlling destinies, Kreia held a much more deterministic viewpoint which seemed quite intriguing.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    there are a few kotor threads, so this might get moved.

anyway Kreia thought that the force was to be used and then deposed of, certainly not served. She seemed to use the force when it suited her, but other wise abhorred it, and seemed to worship death. She put up with the Exile because he showed he was not dependent upon the force. I think she liked that the force could be removed if wounded. I also think she worshipped Revan, because he was beyond light or dark and was a brilliant leader. Her views are even more unhealthy than Vergere's to me. I also think she saw people as chess pieces. She had issues when the Exile valued his allies.

3. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I was always under the impression she hated the force and wanted to end it?. As for actual people? I think she hated them as well (She certainly wasn't a cheerful lass). I think her general stance was to use people to achieve what she wanted which was the death of the force. That's why I never really like her as a character, she was just one dimensional.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i thought she was intresting. great story. I can't say she was one dimensional.

5. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't know (I mean I haven't played it for a while so I'm just going by what I can remember) but I generally thought all she cared about was the death of the force, I think she didn't care about anything or anyone else.

6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    From what I remember, she did use people as pawns, but she was under the impression that the Force controlled everyone's destinies, that literally nothing was left to chance. I think she wanted to free herself and the galaxy from that deterministic hold. From that certain point of view, she had her own distorted way of caring about others.

JediMatteus likes this.
  7. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    But the force is connected to everyone and everything, is it not? It's just the Jedi and Sith know how to use it, where as most people don't. So her decision would have affected everyone for the worse, that's not really caring about others.

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    of course but she is delusional after all. In hetr mind, by destroying the force's hold on people's destinies she is freeing people.

9. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008

This is an interesting question.

First of all, Kreia seemed to be a very damaged - and perhapse delusional character. This can be attributed to the fact that she'd experienced so much pain in her life. However, her views should be taken into consideration just like any other philosophical ideas.

She seemed to think that the Force could actually be "killed". She actually views the Force as an entity, something she can hate - and more importantly something she can fight. She seems to think that the existence of the Force is what makes the Universe deterministic; but determinism could be true with or without the Force. She believes that if the Force was killed, then we would all be free to forge our own destiny. This is just an assumption about the nature of reality. I would think that a Universe without the Force would certainly be deterministic, since everything is governed by the laws of nature, including sentient brains. The presence of the Force makes no difference in my view. The Force is an energy embedded in life itself, and it can grant great power and insight, but not freedom of will. Removing the Force from the equation only gets rid of the potential for greater insight - and with that the ability to predict the future (prophecies etc). However, our inability to predict the future isn't a sign of free will, rather it's just a sign that we've lost the ability to predict the deterministic pathways of the Universe.

I think kreia is wrong and that her philosophies are deeply coloured by her pain. She is wise, but she is wrong about the most fundamental aspects of the Force. You cannot kill the Force, but you can kill all living beings. I don't know if this would actually destroy the Force as well, but what does it matter when all life is gone anyway? Kreia's desire for freedom from the "tyranny" of the Force was a misguided quest.

This is my opinion of course and I'm happy to discuss it further.

Ichor_Razor and enigmaticjedi like this.