main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn : 4th attempt, think it's the good one

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Dr. Jones, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Ok as you know I've beenworking on kyle katarn for a long time right now, because I wanted to make cg film with him. I'll never make this film because I'm not crasy enough. However, I'd like to make a fake teaser, you know, showing some cool shots from the storry I planed, making an univers.

So, I'm style working on it, even if there will never be any film. Yeah that can sound stupid, but, I liked the story I wrote...

here is a pic showing the 4 versions

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/ky01.jpg]

and a second one

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/ky02.jpg]

The model available at scifi 3D is the very first version, actually it's a beta. Then I made a second one, with more experience, it's modified version of the first. It looked far better, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a cartoon looking, and I was getting something more realistic. So I started from scratch a 3rd version, but I stoped it because he was looking quiet... geek? But I keep this one for something else because the mesh is kool.
    Anyway, two weeks ago I finally made a brand new one which a prefer the most

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/ky03.jpg]
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/ky04.jpg]

I almost finished working on the head: the modeling of course, texturing (quiet simple texture, it's cartoony) and, the best part: morphers:

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/morphers.jpg]

there are 13 morphers right now, animated with sliders, there should be 18 in the end, and mixing them should allow me to make alot of different facial expressions. I keep working, I keep working. There will be new body also.

2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Hmm... pretty kool. I still prefer the, from the left.. the first one. I can see how you would want something more cartoony yea. But maybe he should be more like the first one.. and the other characters can be more silly looking. Even this 4th one to the far right... could just be another diff. character. He kinda looks like a trouble maker. And Kyle should be that first one.. the tuff guy. I like the cigar too. Maybe he can be like... a Dirk the Daring. Have that tough face and stuff.. but you can make some funny morphs with him.

3. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    I dunno... the first one reminds of that dude from the Lucasarts game Full Throttle... and while I like the second one which looks cool too, he's a little too, relaxed looking...

but regardless of what I think about Kyle, as usual, they all look fabulous...

Darksteps...

4. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    In all honesty, they don't capture my vision of Kyle Katarn, but that doesn't stop me from liking them all. Awesome stuff as usual Jones, you're a wild man.

When do we get to see the Jan model?

-Matt

5. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    On your latest model, I don't like the eyes or the mouth (too wide)

but it's yours, you can do what you want with it. I do like your new nose, less formed, more cartoon like.

6. The-Matt-Man

Feb 19, 2002
    I AM very impressed with the fact that you made an expression chart. Allot of people would skip that step.

-Matt

7. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    Thank for reply. It looks like I'm the only one to like the new one, but as Crunchy said, it's mine ;)

I can understand he doesn't look like what your are expecting, actually I don't use any references, he is just a kide of Han Solo with a lightsaber. Yeah that's not the same kind of character in the game.
    Same with Jan Ors, she is coming next, and she won't looks the one in the game. Jan model is early wip, a very modified version of lara's face, but I want to fish Kyle first.

Actually I called him kyle katarn but he could be someone else, he would just have the same ship :)

8. bobabert

bobabert Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2002
    moi je trouve ça terrible avec les expressions c kool continue comme ça j'aime bien le style cartoon

nobody understand ......I know :D

9. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    Nope sorry, I don't understand.

Merci, ce que tu fais est pas mal non plus, mais comment tu fais pour gerer 25 trucs a la fois, je veux dire que t'as pleins de trucs commencés en meme temps; Moi j'y arrive pas. Je m'en suis rendu compte à la longue, si j'essaye de bosser sur plusieurs trucs en meme temps j'y arrive pas, car si je laisse un truc de cote alors que c'est à chaud, impossible de m'y remettre ensuite. Et du coup je me retrouve avec plein de trucs pas fini. Enfin, si t'y arrives c'est tant mieux. Voila voila

10. bobabert

bobabert Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2002
    en fait je fais plusieurs choses à la fois parce que quand je reste trop lonqtemps sur le meme sujet,ça me gonfle un peu...alors je varie
    Et puis aprés je fais: "Oh!merde c vrai,j'avais ça ou ça à finir, kool
    voila voila... :D

11. The-Matt-Man

Feb 19, 2002
    Okay, what I'm gathering is that Bobabert likes Kyle, but doesn't like something about him. Dr. Jones likes Bobaberts work and doesn't know how bobabert makes time to do it all, and explains that he only works one project at a time, as it's efficient for him, and helps him to reach the end of the project, as he's not overhauled by multiples.

Bobabert explains that he gets bored if he stays on the same model too long, and that's why he has multiple projects. It's seemingly hard for him to keep at one model too long without stopping, but it works for him.

Whew. Babelfish translations didn't make much sence (as they rarely do for french), so I had to resort to what I learned in high school. (I pretty much know how to order a hamburger with fries, that's it. I know more spanish, as I'm around spanish speakers allot (I'm in Florida, I'm like the only white dude)), and have learned how to tell when they're making fun of me, cursing at me, being rude to me, threatening me, or telling me I sound like I've had "too much weekend." Anyway)

Me....I prefer english.:D

-Matt

12. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    àn &ëôb; v&#çed ôwh¶ pråtræ ëôçlrùô and mêûbùôllëèy ºëllôçz çom apenké åbænkï mëôçïl!

Some of you won't understand ;)

13. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    You almost got it Matt, the only mistake you made is Bobabert din't say anything wrong about my new mesh, he just like it. 'Terrible' is used to say 'great' or 'kickass'. You know, 'kickass' would mean to be kicked in the ass, not so great, while in South Park it means 'kool'

14. Olen_Garn

Olen_Garn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
  15. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Nice job! I don't think it looks much like Kyle Katarn, but each is an excellent piece of work.

And I thought I had gotten out of French class this year...

16. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    Quel culot ce Crunchy, ca c'est envoyé, fallait oser quand même!

17. The-Matt-Man

Feb 19, 2002
    Crunchy asked for something, and Jones is going to, or has, sent it.

Am I warm?

-Matt (I may learn a second language yet. Qui a coupé le fromage? See, I know the important stuff...)

18. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    "Quel culot" is "What nerve!"

19. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    you're pretty cold actually, Matt, sorry to disapoint you, but nice try. I was just congratulating Crunchy for what he said in his last post

20. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    I've been working a but more on this head and I think it's finished. You won't really see any differences but now, it has 16 different facial morphers, and when you mix them you can get a lot more (ex: mixing "smile" with "open mouth" and "eye shut", and you'll get a big laughing kyle)

so here is the last one:
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/kyle.jpg]

I'm also working on a bad girl, completed at 60% I think
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/badgirl.jpg]
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/badgirl2.jpg]
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/ouatzefeuk/wip/badgirl3.jpg]

And I think that's all.

I also modelled the jedi knight logo. I can post the model if anybody need it for a jedi knight site.

21. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i like the new one. and katarn looks cool, but just a bit too cartoony to look like him, but i guess you're trying to make him look like a cartoon, so...

they both look cool.

the only thing that i really dont like is that kyle has a cigar in his mouth... am i missing something... how are there cigars in
    SW?

22. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    Why a cigar? why not? Dunno, after all in return of the jedi, we can see Jabba smoking something, how do you call this in english, that stuff with water and pipes? And remerber a star wars comic I've read with a guy with a cigar. It's just because good guys don't smoke in the movies...

Any way, as I said, my model won't look like Kyle Katarn, I will just have the same name and fly the same ship.

23. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    sure... you could also have a gun in SW.
    i'm just saying it looks a little out of place...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.