main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn fans sign in here!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The Scream Man...

I am also interested in seeing your PTH comic series and sequel. Any plans of posting it anywhere.

2. WesJansonWannabe

WesJansonWannabe Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2000
    Kyle Katarn is definitely one of the coolest Jedi existing.

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Wow - JediSabre77 came back for one last post! Didn't he leave months before this? Is he lurking?

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Kyle shall rise again. I forsee it.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Any Kyle fans previously been published in major magzine? Well, If you have been, Please send a new kyle story that is good to Star Wars gamer to be published. It will be official EU if it is published. One thing I ask is that the story if set during NJO is only put in a timeframe of a book that is already out, so as to not conflict with anything ahead in the NJO(In other words so that if kyle was to possible show up ahead in a novel your story doesn't conflict with them theirfore disqualifing your story from being printed.), but make it good enough that a novelest might be willing to use the character in a upcoming novel later on. But ultimately make sure it is a story that gamer will be willing to use, or that won't interfer with their policies.

Now I understand their is hardly a fan of kyle that has been published that could send a story to gamer. but I can only hope can I? :)

6. Graz73

Graz73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1999
    Valiento...

Does the Gamer magazine take submissions as stories? If we were to comeupwith a good tale for Kyle, could we get themto publish it? Or do they only take published authors? What are their guidelines?

I have an idea... Could several of us Kyle fans work together on a story,and then show it around and submit it once it's good enough? In the most recent novel, Rodia fell to the Vong. This was not shown, it was just mentioned... Why not do a Kyle vs. Vong on Rodia story? With afew of usworking together we could come up with a quality little tale...

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They only accept people that have had previous published work in other sources(magazines are included). It would have to be in a well known magazine. So as long as you have been published somehow, you have a chance of having a story you write show up in gamer. I've never published anything nor have I written anything for me to be quallified.

8. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    I've had art published, but I don't think that will help...

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Probably not, too bad, :(.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    So many new kyle katarn threads, I'm bringing this to the top.

11. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Would it count if something was published in a newspaper? (Not letters to the editor)

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It might be worth a try, you would have to send a copy of the article you wrote along with your submitted story to be sure.

here is the complete instructions so that you can know the guidlines.

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/article.asp?x=gf_submissions,2&c=gamer

13. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    I just read through those guidelines... It didn't say that you had to have previous writing experience, it just said you have to be professional...

Would Bubba like to be our official author? (With his newspaper experience) We'll work with him and proofread it and all...

The first thing to do issend them several proposals for articles that we could do...

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    "We accept fiction submissions only from published authors with writing credits in the science fiction or fantasy genres. If you are interested in writing short fiction for SWG, you must first submit a bibliography of published fiction credits, which we can then submit to Lucasfilm for approval."

15. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    Oops, I didn't read that paragraph until later...

Well, perhaps we should forget about this idea... Maybe we can get the author of those Dark Forces books to write something?

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, dietz he may be the ticket. If we as fans tell him how much we would be happy for him to write us an all new story. I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind if he wrote a short story about kyle training at the Jedi Academy, as EC briefly covers.

17. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    Does anyone know how to reach Deitz? I've looked on the web, but not found anything.

It would be great to see what he would come up with when not constrained to a game plot.

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    William Dietz
    Lakebay, WA 98349
    253-884-5265
    (253)884-5265

This is the only phone number for a william dietz in washington state. Does anyone know if lakebay is the seattle area? If it is this is most likely him. Also sending a letter would probably the best bet.

19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Yeah, a letter would be best if you ask me.

A shame they do not publish non-professional work. I remember that the Adventure Journal was different about that, and in some cases that worked for their advantage. The "Simple Tricks" story explored the post-Carida character of Kyp far better than any novellist Lucasfilm came up with.

If I imagine what Kyle would have been like with some authors... *shudder*... think of Mara Jade...

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Do any of you have a "what's this guy's story" being published, because that could count...

21. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    Someone could do a "what's this guy's story" that featured Dark Forces related characters. Even if Kyle's not born yet, it could have Rahn, or Jerec for instance.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Not really. Those are like 500 words or less -- about a page -- and his ancestors aren't rodians, quarren, or, presumably, naboo security volunteer.s

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    If you happened to see an old grey bearded guy that looked like morgan in tpm. Or saw a black jedi(no not mace windu, :)), that looked like rahn in tpm. or saw a man that looked awefully like jerec in tpm. yes you could right a what's this guys story.

Why not put something about kyle in these article departments:

* Articles that supplement the new Star Wars Roleplaying Game, specifically: new species, alien creatures, characters, villains, worlds and exciting places in the Empire, technology, and weaponry.

* Articles of general interest to the Star Wars fan that might have use to the roleplaying gamer as well.

* Adventures designed for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. See the "RPG Adventure Guidelines" below.

Here is the guidelines for the 3rd type of article that you could use:

"RPG Adventure Guidelines

Before setting out to write an RPG adventure, familiarize yourself with the rules and game setting of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. Be aware of the specifics of the game system for which you are writing.

Adventures can vary from 1,500 to 10,000 words. Longer manuscripts should be submitted only with the editor's permission.

Encounters should be described fully. Make sure no relevant details of encountered beings are left out (including pertinent statistical information such as ability scores, skills, equipment, and so forth). Relevant personality and reaction notes should be given with the first mention of the individual. Major characters should be well rounded with specific motivations. All encounters, NPCs, hazards, rewards, details on the environment, and information required for combat or accomplishing the mission should be detailed sufficiently to allow the Gamemaster and players to run through the scenario without trouble.

We strongly encourage you to use boxes to set off material to be read aloud to the players. You can draw the boxes by hand (using a ruler) or by computer. An acceptable alternative is to leave two blank lines before and after "boxed text" in italic type, separate from the surrounding text. Additional information such as encounter tables, lists of rumors, new species, and new technology can be set off in appendices or sidebars. In the case of sidebars, place a note in the text near the location that a sidebar will occupy ("New Droids" sidebar goes here), but place all sidebar text at the end of the module.

We prefer adventures with strong plot elements (good stories). The encounters in an adventure should relate directly to the adventuring goal. Encounters that are interconnected and critical to the adventure's plot are best. Illogical adventure set-ups in which aliens and technology are randomly thrown together should be avoided. This does not mean one cannot use random encounter tables, but the tables should be logical and consistent with the adventuring environment, making the overall adventure sensible and believable.

Indoor complexes laid out in perfect symmetry are dull; use creativity, even if the final result isn't perfect architecture.

Situations in your module that violate established game rules should be handled carefully. Game rules should not be altered without extremely good reasons. Other additions and alterations, such as new creatures and technology, are permissible but should not be overused.

Adventures should be designed for the player's own characters, not established Star Wars characters. Do not submit adventures that feature established Star Wars characters such as Darth Vader or Han Solo in anything other than peripheral roles, and do not place such characters in jeopardy. An adventure in which the characters brush shoulders with Han Solo is okay; an adventure in which the characters help rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt is not. We're looking for original ideas, not rehashes of existing Star Wars stories.

A good adventure includes encounters that challenge both the players and the characters. Furthermore, the adventure should test the various classes and skills in the party so that no player character feels excluded or

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm a good writer and storyteller, but I don't know the first thing about game rules. If someone want to collaberate, we could see what we could do.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Checking in, fan's need to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.