main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn fans sign in here!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Signing in, post 300 for this thread, not bad.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Just thought that there's a possibility Kyle may show up as an NPC in Galaxies game. They are definitely including Dark Troopers, the game takes place after Yavin, and they will use other EU when possible they say.

3. Qui-Gonn Jinn

Qui-Gonn Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 1999
    Can't remember if I already ahve or not, but if not, signing in.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Up, kyle must return.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Did you guys hear about JK 2?Woo-hoo!

Maybe it'll take place in the NJO era....

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well unfortunately rumors have it not being done by LucasArts. They're all varied from Activision/others doing actual game design or just the distribution.

However, yes, as of right now there's a game on the books coming down the pipes. If it's not done by LucasArts, I can only hope they have as much an eye for detail.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Even if activision makes it, it will have lucasarts in big bold logo show up when it loads up. Lucas won't let anything related to his company get overshadowed by a 3rd party.

rebellion, xvt, x:alliance, rogue squadron, rogue squadron 2, and battle for naboo to name a few were 3rd party games, as you can see they have a big lucasarts logo in the intro.

even star wars demolition was made from a 3rd party company, which was a subsidiary to activision. It has a huge lucasarts logo on the main screen.

So do not worry about 3rd parties designing the game, it will still be lucasarts and a good game.

Secondly it's just a rumor right now, lucasarts still has to announce, and yes it better be a kyle adventure.

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Uhhh, I dunno, I guess it will be more aof a console game if it is made RIGHT NOW. The last game they brought for PC was Force Commander, and that was half a year ago, or even more.
    Anyway, a TNJO game? Sounds like you're shooting Vong. Either Strategy, Starfighting (respectively Fighter flying, as the new console games are mostly planet bound) or shooting. Maybe even hacking (TPM game, I'm lookin' in your direction). JK2 would be brilliant, with the Vong being good villains (no force powers work on them, weapons that match lightsabers). We'll have to wait. Anyway, how do you know? I'm not caring much about PC games right now, but I expect such news to pop up on TFN's main page...

Pro-Kyle: If it ties in with TNJO, it might be story based, so people think about it before selling it.
    Con-Kyle: I guess they think of him as too old. They always have such stupid ideas...

Bring it before us, then! And a good book along with it!

9. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I figure this is the place to pose this question. I loved Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, and I love Kyle Katarn, but I never played Mysteries of the Sith. Can anyone tell me the plot of MotS? And when was the last time we heard from Kyle, and what is he up to? I'd really like to know.

10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    You should think about playing it, but OK, here it goes...
    six years after Endor, during the Dark Empire crisis: Kyle trains Mara Jade on some remote Republic outpost when the place is suddenly attacked by the Empire. Two armed-and-dangerous asteroids go in orbit, landing crafts are send down and the outcome will be deadly. Because Kyle goes sweeping the base from Imps, searches a shuttle and flies up to one asteroid. After cleaning it, he makes it shoot at the other one and sets the self destruct.
    That's all the levels you play as Kyle. 4, I think.
    Then Kyle heads off to gather information about some Sith temple on Drommund Kaas, a remote swamp planet. Meanwhile, Mara (resp. you) is sent for different negotiations with Hutts, gangsters, smugglers, and as you are a Jedi, those negotiations are always short. Finally, you are contacted by Mon Mothma because Kyle never reported in again after reaching Drommund Kaas.
    Mara investigates the planet with only her lightsaber and the Force working, finds the temple and finally Kyle, who was seduced by the dark side. The chase is on and leads into the heart of the temple. During the final duel, Mara deactivates her weapon. Kyle cannot kill her, because there is still good in him. Having learned important lessons, they leave Drommund Kaas behind...

...and we never heard official word on Kyle again. A pity, but there were no short stories, no games, no novels, no nothing. Right now, some people at the boards (you've found their hidden base) want his return in a TNJO novel. Join us, and together we will show that Kyle is not dead, not yet.

BTW: You can find the Mots-storyline in most timelines, if you search additional information.
    And there'll be a comic about the battle of Ruusan, 1000 years ago. Ruusan will be known as the planet of the Valley of the Jedi...

11. Graz73

Graz73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1999
    Check out my Dark Forces timeline. I tried to include every "official" EU appearance of Kyle in a big timeline...

http://graziani.home.mindspring.com/Katarn.htm

I hope JK2 is good. It might be a tough game to do right though...

12. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Thanks Gray1, and I am in support of Kyle in the NJO, I think he is a great character. I just posted a reply in the "Kyle Katarn In the NJO" thread about why he won't be in it though, so check it out.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually kyle was more possesed by the dark side, he was under the influenc of a ancient sith spirits.

Has kyle been heard from since mots, why yes he has, but not in detail. In the Essential Chronology(buy it, it's worth it.), we learn that kyle joined the academy as one of the first students, and possible teacher. We also learn that he was one of the jedi focusing the force through dorsk 81 in darksaber. knowing kyle is a very strong jedi, up their with luke himself, we know that dorsk 81 was getting high amounts of energy surging through him, no wonder, he burned out like a fuse.

last place kyle can be seen is in the comic book series leviathan, were he can be seen in 2 panels in the first issue, or first few pages of the tpb.

14. Captain_Katarn

Captain_Katarn Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2001
    Hey, I just got here (I'm the one who posted the 'Should KK be in the NJO series' thread). Finally, other people who love Kyle Katarn! I'd bet that if u told all the SW fans about KK and made em play JK, they'd be in love with him. Anyways, I don't have that many resources on hand, and I haven't read any comics (except some random TotJ one), only the novels (and not all of them at that). Could you please tell me everything KK has featured in. *Everything*. That's Novels, comics, e.c.t .... Ohya to the kind soul that made the Dark Forces timeline, that was very helpful to me. Also, anything featuring The 7 Dark Jedi and Rahn would be a great help. Which brings me to something else... I've always pictured the noghri as Pic, not some tall blue thing like in the comic pics i've seen. They're supposed to be as small as a child/Jawa. What do u think? (and don't even talk to me about Gorc and the twin thing. I have *no* sithin' idea!) =)

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Welcome to the club!

I'll answer your questions in the morning if someone else hasn't gotten them first, but for now I need some shut-eye.

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    MT...
    "Did you guys hear about JK 2?Woo-hoo!"

Will it be JK2 - a sequel to Jedi Knight, or should it be Dark Forces 3, a sequel to Kyle's saga. I think "Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight Part 2: Kyle's Return(or whatever)" is a bit verbose for a title. It would be better if...
    Dark Forces 3: Kyle's Return

:p

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I like dark forces 3, my self.

18. Captain_Katarn

Feb 20, 2001
    Ohya, if u want the best SW RPG ever, (Maybe not equal to galaxies, but...) join the starwars combine. http://www.swcombine.com
    It's a game/application, worked on by some volunteer programmers for the love of the game, and already has RPG forums and IRC channels while they wait for the game to be finished. It won't be graphically equivilent to Galaxies, which will be like Everquest and all those other RPGs. Unlike Galaxies, you can be anything and do anything. There's like all the species I can think of (besides Camassi) and that inlcudes Noghri (WHO HOO!! strange im not one but anyways...) and allmost every ship and weapon, and is set during the Civil War, with I think 4 big Factions like The Empire and Rebellion, and heaps of NFGs (non-faction groups) , highlights being the Jedi praxeum, CorSec and all the ship building corperations. It includes NPCs (computer players, animals, droids, slaves, E.C.T...) as well. Unfortunately, the server is down right now, so u cant access the site or the combine client application that lets u fly around and earn credits (it only does this much because it's not finished yet). There are big rules on spying, weapons (inlcluding the trustly DL-44) and the Force. Best of all, it's free. I hear Galaxies is going to have monthly subscription fee. Notso with the Combine. Remember, this RPG lets you do *anything* so hop on over and have a look. If your looking for me, i'm the guy with the cool Kyle Katarn pic on the forums http://icessfilecenter.homestead.com/files/Kyle.jpg If you haven't gotten me right, this presents a perfect opportunity to play out Kyle Katarn yourself. (Even if you can't get his name). I just thought this was something important you'd like to know, it makes out post numbers go up, and it can't hurt to go have a look (though not now, the server is down as I said)

19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ah ,I like Dark Forces 3 as well.

20. Captain_Katarn

Feb 20, 2001
    This was a copy of the other post sorry about that *gives sheepish grin*

21. Captain_Katarn

Feb 20, 2001
    Did I evr mentioned KK is the coolest guy in the SW universe? Hey, hang on a sec. Did our buddy Kyle ever hook up with Jan? (ok, maybe that's a wild fan's fantasy) =)

22. Captain_Katarn

Feb 20, 2001
    Ohya... =) Anyone here play JK, as in online, as in on the zone? If u do, my zonename is down_time_yoda

23. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    The timelines tell us that Kyle reappeared at the Academy, he was with the original twelve students (which makes him part of JA trilogy, I,Jedi, Darksaber and maybe some other books), but we never heard his name explicitly. That picture in the comic was a definite improvement, but we still can only assume that this Jedi was intended to be Kyle. Maybe he changed his name ;-) ...

I think they should leave any series titles like DF3 or JK2 behind. I never actually saw Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. But maybe that was only for Europe, here Dark Forces got banished, so they weren't allowed to do a sequel and chose to go by the subtitle...

Is there anybody out there who knows something about the homestead editor at fan.starwars.com? I still couldn't finish my site (with the CCG cards) because I can't import any images!

As for the Noghri, the grey gorillas are a desaster. They originate from the comic adaption, and I remember the artist say that the original Noghri from the books didn't look dangerous enough. The comic version of Pellaeon they presented wasn't good, either, and now they made that official image on a game card that looked like that. I think it's really disturbing that they are always destroying the images we have in our imagination.
    Anyway, a few pages ago, there was a Noghri discussion in this thread. See if you find something interesting.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "but we still can only assume that this Jedi was intended to be Kyle. Maybe he changed his name ;-) ...'

look at the release date, for issue one of leviathan and the dark forces books. They were released at almost the same time.

I think kja saw what other people were doing at dark horse and decided to put the cameo in.

Think about it, the man looks like kyle, the beard is correct, the lightsaber is the correct color for kyles second sabre. The "kyle cameo" is never named, yet gets two frames, one of importance being that it was in a group shot of heads all most of them with names, and being the important characters in the story. All points considering I stand by my oppinion that it's kyle, the only way to truly make sure is to send an e'mail to kja and ask him if the nameless jedi that looks like kyle, is kyle?

25. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Hey, I'm not one of those guys who have their opinion and can't accept anything else! I'll buy you a drink, OK?
    What I mean is that we assume it's Kyle. Our visitors asked for real, officialy confirmed appearances. The comic is an appearance, but not confirmed. The Jedi Academy presence is confirmed by the chronology, but it does not appear! I hate to admit it myself, but there was no real Kyle-appearance after Mysteries of the Sith.
    I don't need to ask the authors if that little bit is intended in some special way. I myself believe it's Kyle. We just did not read his name.

Anyway, for a constructive change of topic, after JK, he built his own orange lightsaber (the third in his career). How can we incorporate the fact that he kept his yellow lightsaber he inherited from Yun (except assuming the colorist messed up)?
    My suggestions:
    - the orange saber reminded him of his dark side experience and he locked it away. He then took Yun's again.
    - The orange saber got lost. Happens to the best of Jedi (see Ben).
    - He still has his orange saber, the yellow remains for training purposes.
    - Now that is wild... He keeps both sabers, only uses one in this training lesson but has learned how to fight with two at the same time! Think of Boc. Luke did that in DT, too, right (haven't read it yet)?

Of course suggestions one and two work with "He built a new saber (#4) which is yellow", but that is too complicated if you ask me.
    I intend to write a short story, and I think I'd use #1, maybe in combination with #4. Would make a great showdown while I would write about the yellow saber throughout the story. Looks better than orange, if you ask me.

Next topic like that will be: Why the black clothes in MotS, why the change in JA:L ...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.