main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn fans sign in here!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Another note--if they bring the guy back, they need to restore him. In Dark Forces he was a hardass with an attitude. Then in JK he simple...wasn't. I want him to come back against the vong with a vengeance...

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I just wanted to chime in as well. Kyle Katarn is awesome. With him at the New Republic's side, they would be unstoppable. He's a character that may have hovered in the shadows of darkness, never lost his focus on what's right and just in the galaxy.

The last Jedi we saw worthy of his stature was one of the greatest Jedi Masters ever - Ulic Qel-Droma.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    yes, he is definately cool, He has turned to the darkside once and i doubt it will happen to him again, he has repented and is most likely one of Lukes's strongest allies and supporters.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

As I read through these posts in this thread, I'm going to revise my favorite character lists that I have posted here a few times. There is now a 4-way tie for my favorite character(s):

1.) Corran Horrn, Nomi Sunrider, Tionne, AND Kyle Katarn.

I think Corran and Kyle would work well together, and I think Jan and Mirrax would get along as well.

-UP!-

Kyle & Jan should have their own New Jedi Order book.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    great, glad i Kould make another believer, Kier-nimmion welcome to the Kool Kult of Kyle Klan Katarn Klub.
    the KKKKKK, :)

Kome join us for a Killer toast of Kool-aid in a Krystal-Klear Glass Kup, to Kyle Katarn :D, and after that we will have Kookies,Kandy and Kake,(or if you not into sugar, we can you can always eat salad with Kroutons) and a bottle of Korellian Brandy. while we Kill, Trekkies who are dressed up as Klingon's.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I really like the cut scene after he defeats Yun where he deflects the blaster bolts and you have to face down the stormtroopers to escape the palace in Barons Hed.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Kyle Katarn, he's are man, if he Kan't do it, no one Kan.

8. Graz73

Graz73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1999
    I'm a big Kyle fan too. I really wish he'd get mentioned in the NJO, in at least a minor capacity. The main reason he isn't used more, is that each author makes up their own jedi characters, so never neeed a character like Kyle. For instance, Stackpole has Corran, Anderson has Kyp, and Zahn has Mara, etc. The only authors who wanted to write about Kyle, were game authors...

Maybe if they got that guy who write the graphic novels, he would write Kyle into the NJO.

I did a bunch of research on his official history a few months ago. The latest info on him was in the "Essential Chronology".
    I came up with this Kyle Katarn Chronology. What do you think of it? http://graziani.home.mindspring.com/Katarn.htm

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    great timeline, you are now designated as vice president of the Kyle Katarn Fan Klub. Congratulations, ;), because of this nice resource being added to the Topic.

now, for a different note, i see one error that needs to be fixed

"Mara earns her newly constructed purple lightsaber as part of her Jedi training"

i just want to make it clear to you that Mara jade already had the purple sabre, it was given to her by Palpitine, years before her Meeting with kyle katarn. source, Mara Jade by the emporor's hand. http://www.starwars.com/mara/
    watch the comic you'll see she has a purple sabre.

10. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    Sorry, but you're wrong. I did read that comic, and notice her earlier purple saber, but she must have lost that one or something. It states in the MotS written info, that she had "recently built a new purple saber" in the information with MotS.

My theory is this...

Luke gave her Anakin's blue saber at the end of "Last Command".

She wanted to train in the force with someone besides Luke, so she finds Kyle and he teaches her stuff.

She builds another saber as part of her training.

MotS... Kyle fals to the dark side and Mara has to save him.

After that, I think Mara lost respect for Kyle and his advice. Then she went back to using that blue saber.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    ok, i will trust you it's been awhile since i read the manual to the game, so you must be right.

"After that, I think Mara lost respect for Kyle and his advice"

i sort of doubt that, kyle was under the influence of ancient sith magic, and i don't think he was fully aware what he was doing. She probably forgave him.

on the other hand i believe he was sorry for being influenced to the darside and that is one reason he joined the jedi academy was to finish the training that he knew he was not strong enough in.

Kyle and Mara probably mutually understood that they didn't know enough to train with each other.

12. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    That sounds accurate.

I'd like to update my info on that dark forces page. Do you have "Rebellion?" I hear it's got info on dark troopers and maybe other characters. I don't have it. Could you help me find any info that would add to my timeline?

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    ok, rebellion their the most expensise ground troops you can buy

"dark trooper regiment
    refined material cost 12
    maintenance coost 8
    attack strength 8
    defense strength 8
    bombardent defense 6

Dark troopers have been a closely guarded secret by the empire. They are a group of elite stormtroopers that that have received a form of limited force control training makeing them far deadlier than the average stormtrooper. ehanced exo-armor and weaponry make the dark troopers a fearsome force."

notice the description is a combination of Dark Empire darktroopers, and Dark forces Dark Troopers. proving the two are somewhat related, not necessesarily the same.

by the way could mara jades new purple sabre be using the chrystal from her old purple one, maybe she just recycled components? that would explane the change in hilt design, and sound more reaosonable than that she has 3-4 sabres in her collection.

14. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I like Kyle. He's a cool guy, and a ruthless fighter. He really needs to be in the NJO.

15. XXdanneXX

XXdanneXX Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2000
    Someone wrote earlier that Jerec was in one of the galaxy of fear books. Wich one?

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    #9: Spore

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    good keep them coming only 5376 or so and still counting more post's to go before we catch up with the mara jade fan club, ;).

18. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    I don't see why Mara couldn't have a few sabers.

Luke has 2 in the movies and at least 3 or 4 others in the book series...

Finding gems to use in sabers apparently isn't that hard... Lowbacca took his out of some old moniter at Yavin base.

19. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I always liked Katarn's character, whether in the games or the graphic novels. I would love to see him reappear in NJO, or even a comic series (possibly in Tales).

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Finding gems to use in sabers apparently isn't that hard... Lowbacca took his out of some old moniter at Yavin base"

i'm not disaggreeing with you, but other sources said that buying gems for sabres was very expensive. not just any gem will do, because of possibillity of shorting or fusing of the components if there was a flaw in the gem.(don't quote me it's been while since i read the diffrent sources on sabre construction so i can't give you direct quotes). According to thes diffrent sources possible gem's worth using is Corusca gems, Adegan Chrystals, Blood Stones, Durindfire, High Quality Diamond's Etc(all very expensive). Kaiburr Chrystals supposedly make the strongest and most powerful sabres(but these are very rare)

i would assume Lowbacca lucked out for being allowed to strip a outdated (once multi-million credit) computer for a good diamond. He got a good gem because he took one out of what once was a top of the line Computer.

So i assume that Mara jade has only 2 sabres the one that was give to her from palpatine, which she then took apart and pocketed the gem, then rebuilt it into a new sabre as part of her training. her second sabre being the one given to her by luke, which used to be Anakin's blade. just my oppinion don't flame me.

"Luke has 2 in the movies and at least 3 or 4 others in the book series..."

where did he have more than 2 sabres? he has been using the green one for a long time. i know he made a kaiburr gem sabre according to the EC but he hasn't used it yet as far as i know(unless that's the red sabre he was using in Dark empire?).

Now for a description of the Leviathan frame with a kyle katarn cameo.

it's on the second page, of the comicm luke is thinking over how he set up the academy, on how he is proud of it. well, in several frames you see diffrent unnamed jedi that he taught or is teaching at that point in time. well in one frame near the top of the page you see a bearded man in military type khaki pant's and cotton tank top, this in it's self makes him look kyle katarnish, then the kicker, in his hand's he is carrying a yellow bladed sabre that is very similar to one given to kyle by yun(or did kyle build a gold one
    later on, too?). well in the frame he is dueling with a alien, i truly believe this to be a kyle katarn cameo.

21. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    Your Mara saber theory sounds plausible. I figure that finding good saber crystals is like a flawless diamond. They are rare and expensive, but not so rare that they are in short supply. Luke used a couple different sabers in the Marvel comic series and that one from the EC that you mentioned. THere might have been a few others, but none I can think of...

I'll have to look for that Kyle comic cameo that you mentioned. Could you scan it in? (My copy of that comic is in Ohio, and I'm in California.)
    Kyle Might also be in the Union comic, but I'm not sure if that character was supposed to be him, or someone else...

One thing I've never been able to figure out is what happened to Kyle's supporting cast after Jedi Knight? I've found no mention of Jan, the Crow, or WeeGee anywhere else.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well, hello, glad to see your in my back yard, i'm a californian.

Yes, your right i do remember Luke had at least a Light dagger he made to fight lumiya, never read the comic, but i remember somebody mentioning it here. as for luke getting his gem's, i bet the alliance or the federation of free planets(is that what it was called in marvel run?), New Republic, are willing to supply luke with any gem they can get ahold of for him if he asks, because he is their hope to bring jedi back to the galaxy, and a hero. but for anyone else it's probably really hard or expensive for them to get perfect saber gem's if they didn't already have one, or had a good source to get one.

i'm sorry my scanner is on the fritz and even if it wasn't, i don't have a clue on how to post pictures on the net.i loved to send you a copy if i could.

now i went in checked again the beared one has one more appearance in the leviathan comic on page 4 second to last frame (a collage of jedi) only a side view of his head in the top right of the picture.

23. Graz73

Oct 19, 1999
    I'll look and see if I have any of those Leviathan comics here, but I doubt it.

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I have it, but I don't have my scanner hooked up.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Viva Revolucion, Kyle Katarn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.