main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn, not a real character.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    sorry to all the big fans, but I just don't consider Kyle to be an actual character. In fact, that's how I feel about all vidio game characters and events. If it's not a novel, comic or movie, then it's just fan fiction and it has no effect on the events of the expandd universe. When is Kyle ever mentioned in any of the literature or movies? And what about those crazy dark jedi from jedi knight, dark forces 2? why are they never mentioned either? Can someone help me with this? Maybe you'll sway my opinion.

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Your opinion doesn't matter. Kyle has been mentioned, as well as novelized in several guides and graphic novels. ;)

3. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    sorry for my ignorence sturm, but were is he mention, specifically?

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    The Dark Forces comics? :)

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Dark Forces novels for one thing. Also he's in DE also. And the essential guide to Chronology also mentions him and Jerec's dark jedi.

6. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, someone listed the references recently. The things that come to mind for me are the Dark Forces trilogy graphic novels and audio dramas, and the Essential Chronology.

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Where is he in Dark Empire?

8. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    DE is the altime best comic, and i know for a fact that he doesn't appear in that

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    That's my impression as well. Maybe he got it mixed up with Leviathan.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hmm....mentioned somewhere that he does. Forgot who said it.

11. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    He appears in Leviathen? I've been meaning to read that. Know i must, before you guys bash my head in.

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    It's a guy that looks like Kyle, training at the Academy when Luke is talking about his students. It's not officially confirmed if it's him, but the similarities are uncanny.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    That could be it. Sorry if there was any confusion about that on my part.

14. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    He is, alas, a character, though I think it was one of the worst ideas in Star Wars history to 'legitamise' him by giving him a novelisation.

I thought he was a never a great character, mostly because he was almost insanely overpowered.

He should have been severely toned down.

Yours

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I wonder if anyone would say that about Anakin Skywalker, Anakin Solo, or even Luke Skywalker.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    If someone doesn't like certain characters, they shouldn't read about stories that focus on them.

17. RNolan

Sep 5, 2000
    The Skywalker/Solo dynasty was established in the films. Unless Leia, Luke and Han were to be barren, we were going to be stuck with powerful progeny.

Tats no excuse for anyone else to use such nonsense.

Yours

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    What nonsense?

19. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    'super-human' esque characters such as Kyle.

20. RNolan

Sep 5, 2000
    The prophecies, the immense power, the effortless skill and the maximum result.

Yours

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    The SWU isn't limited to just the three main characters. :p

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, here's a newsflash:

None of the Star Wars characters are "real". They don't exist. They are all pretend. Fictitious. Make-believe. Imaginary. Made-up.

>When is Kyle ever mentioned in any of the literature or movies?

Kyle had his own series of graphic novels from Dark Horse. Soldier of the Empire, Rebel Agent, and Jedi Knight. There are also audio dramas based on the books and games. Kyle has been mentioned in the Essential Chronology and Gamer. The backstory of the Valley of the Jedi from DF2 has played a major part in the recent comic book series Jedi vs. Sith.

>And what about those crazy dark jedi from jedi knight, dark forces 2? why are they never >mentioned either?

Jerec, the leader of the Dark Jedi, has appeared in Spore, the ninth Galaxy of Fear book. He and his band have been mentioned in Gamer and the Dark Side Source book.

TC

23. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Luke was the last hope for the Jedi. Yoda disagreed, citing Leia, but she had no Force training whatsoever (at that pont in time). To continue the legacy of the Jedi fell on Luke's shoulders.

Apparently, Kyle Katarn fears his own power, fears that he will abuse it, and chooses not to take the Jedi path. (His father did the same as a boy). He entrusts his saber to Skywalker and retires, if only for a time. Therefore, Kyle has the inborn power, but not the mastery or confidence of Luke. Katarn's impressive abilities are not contrary to the films. Luke is still the last hope of the Jedi.

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    sorry to all the big fans, but I just don't consider Kyle to be an actual character. In fact, that's how I feel about all vidio game characters and events. If it's not a novel, comic or movie, then it's just fan fiction and it has no effect on the events of the expandd universe. When is Kyle ever mentioned in any of the literature or movies? And what about those crazy dark jedi from jedi knight, dark forces 2? why are they never mentioned either? Can someone help me with this? Maybe you'll sway my opinion.

Your logic is flawed. How are games produced by a Lucas company, LUCASarts Entertainment Company, "just fan fiction," whereas books and comics produced by Del Rey, Bantam, Marvel and Dark Horse respectively are official? And whether or not he was official, which he is, Kyle is still a character. The games are considered a part of the expanded universe. EU characters make it into the games; occasionally game characters show up in other EU. Noteworthy examples: Without Jedi KNight there would be no Jedi vs. Sith comic; and there have been a couple stories and comics with more to come based on the Starfighter video game; and the Dark Troopers have made it into comics as well. All of the Lucas companies and licencees work carefully together to make sure, to the best of their ability, that all of what they're doing fits together (with the exception of the Infinities line). The "crazy jedi" from Jedi Knight have been mentioned in the trilogy of novellas published by Dark Horse/Boulevard, as well as a Galaxy of Fear novel and the new Dark Side Sourcebook. And not only do the games affect the EU, but they often fill in holes in it. Where was Mara Jade during Dark Empire? Check out Mysteries of the Sith. Check out Force Commander to see the events of Wedge's Gamble expanded, as well as all during the events of the trilogy. And here's one for you: the Shadows of the Empire game which was a third of the whole Shadows story...
    And just wait for Jedi Outcast and Galactic Battlegrounds.

25. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    More over, look at the characters for X-wing, TIE Fighter, and Rebel Alliance. They had novellas written for them. And their stories are continued in the strategy guides for these books. And I'm sure others have had the same thing done for them. I know Kyle had three graphic novels written for him. And Keyan Farlander, the character from the X-wing games, is mentioned in one of the Dark Tide dulogy of the NJO, Onslaught I believe.

Perhaps you may choose to ignore a character who simply appears in a game. However, when athurs go to the trouble of putting together a background story for these characters, and that story ends up in a novella, novel, comic, or some other literary source, you can not simply say they are mere game characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.