Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    FRELL YES! :D

[link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale]The first Dark Forces article[/link] is up!

From what I see, it contains some good info, especially geography. Hopefully it will have a bibliography like the "The Hunt Within" series did. And it speaks of the "Star Destroyer Imperator."

Wonderful stuff, I can't wait for next week. Good job Abel and Jason! =D=

EDIT- Here's a list of all the articles so far:[

[link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407a]The Dark Forces Saga, part 1[/link] (Kyle Katarn, Rom Mohc)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407b]The Dark Forces Saga, part 2[/link] (Jan ors, Qu Rahn)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050512b]The Dark Forces Saga, part 3[/link] (Yun, Sariss)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050526a]The Dark Forces Saga, part 4[/link] (Maw, Boc)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050609a]The Dark Forces Saga, part 5[/link] (Gorc, Pic)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050616a]The Dark Forces Saga, part 6[/link] (Jerec, Desann)

[link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale]Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 1[/link] (Assault on AX-456)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale2]Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 2[/link] (Destiny on Danuta)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale3]Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 3[/link] (The Blood Moon)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale4]Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 4[/link] (Showdown on the Sulon Star)
    [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/kylekatarnstale5]Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 5[/link] (Endgame on Ruusan)
  2. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been waiting for more info on that strike team he led when he met Jan for years! :D I can't wait to see what neat stuff we'll hear about.
  3. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And you thought it was over... :D

[link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407a]Dark Forces Saga, Part 1[/link]

[link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050407b]Dark Forces Saga, Part 2[/link]

Holy frickin' YES! This is where all of the obscure mentions come in, in the RPG section! IG-72, the Moldy Crow, Mohc, the dreadnaught New Hope. Can it get any better?

Thank you, Abel and Jason, thank you!

Edit: So. Much. Info. So. Many. Obscure. References.

We finally get a retcon about Morgan's first wife.

Kyle continued working with Jan for the New Republic on odd missions, hooking up with living legend Bey and the mercenaries Dash Rendar and Guri on an insertion mission to the Tof fortress world Saijo, and teaming up with a demented, pint-sized lagomorph and nearly razing Space Station Kwenn while apprehending the freelance Ketton spy Derrida. Kyle eventually took a more permanent role with the New Republic and served with Page's Commandos, executing missions from Kashyyyk to Boudolayz to Garos IV.

Marvel references! "A demented, pint-sized lagomorph" Plif? [face_laugh] And is this a Katarn Commandos retcon?

Kyle also took part in a SpecForce mission put together by Rebel operative Corwin Shelvay, in which he teamed up with Force-sensitives Shira Brie and Erling Tredway to render inoperative the superlaser of the second Death Star en route to D'rinba IV.

Where have I heard of this mission before? The Death Star Video boardgame?

stopping the dark side berserker Jeng Droga.

I'm seeing a pattern here... of Droga in Abel's articles.

Coruscant Insurrection of the Separatist's cortosis droid army.

We finally get the name of the Coruscant battle seen in New Droid Army.

a prototype IG97

Does this mean "Sandblasted" is canon? :D

Jan had already infiltrated Imperial Intelligence under the name Jan Strange

From Cracken's Rebel Operatives. She even looks like Ors! GREAT retcon! :)

Hmmm... looks like Jan was part of Alpha Blue and Alpha Red.

There is a dangerous Force-strong Yuuzhan Vong loose in the galaxy, and judging from her powers, it is clear that she has a master . . .

Lumiya? :D Sweet!

A passionately loyal Jedi, Rahn was among the Jedi hidden at the location betrayed by the Jedi Halagad Ventor to Darth Vader

Oh no, Abel's gone over to the Dark Side! ;)

So the Crow is a CEC ship. Why didn't you relate it to the "Millennium Hawks" in that one Devilworlds story Abel?

All in all, I'd say these articles are *better* even than the Mandalorian one. Bravo!
  4. JoinTheSchwarz JC Head Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Beautiful, simply beautiful...

Stats for the Bryar pistol!

Kyle also took part in a SpecForce mission put together by Rebel operative Corwin Shelvay, in which he teamed up with Force-sensitives Shira Brie and Erling Tredway to render inoperative the superlaser of the second Death Star en route to D'rinba IV.

Wow...
  5. Dante_Glass Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, just wow,

Jan was involved with Alpha Red, Kyle WAS part of the Katarn Commandos, Jan Ors IS Jan Strange!

and whats with all this Post NJO stuff, could they be hinting at something? I sure hope so
  6. jasonfry VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Ah, never mind what I said earlier. Crazy URLs. Looking forward to what y'all think...these were a lot of fun to do. J
  7. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    My gosh. I don't know if I've ever seen so many obscure references in one place before! Katarn's expanded history is a real treat--I mean, with all that unaccounted for time, he had to have some great adventures in there, right? I *love* the mission to sabotage the Death Star II reference! I've been afraid for years that the video board game would fall by the wayside. I envisioned the sabotage team consisting of Katarn, Havet Storm, and Keyan Farlander, but this is great too!

Qu Rahn's biography is inspired! Making him a member of the "Katarn clan" in the temple was an excellent idea, as was turning him to the Dark Side briefly to explain Yoda's statement in ROTJ, while still allowing him a heroic death. Great, great job all around, and well worth waiting for.

A question about Halagad, though. The last we heard of him, he was just a Jedi Padawan presumed dead on the same world the Rebels find him on later. How was he able to betray the Jedi post ROTS?

TC

8. TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wow...Just wow.

Bravo, Abel and Jason, Bravo.

Edit: Indeed, Jason gets the props as well
  9. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Hey, don't forget to give Jason his due! ;)

TC
  10. Kreuzader Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Woo hoo! The Dark Forces games are some of my favorite parts of the SW saga; thanks Abel & Jason!

Edit: Ack, Jan Ors was involved with Alpha Red!
  11. Cynical Jedi Youngling

star 2
    So Kyle is off Sith-hunting? Does that imply more page-time in upcoming books to anyone else?
  12. DarthMane2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awesome stuff.

So does the mean Dash and Guri are rolling around the galaxy together? Nice to see Dash get some page time, espeically post ROTJ.

I don't see any note of Kyle being the reincarnation of some ancient Jedi Master anywhere. Though this did come from Valiento, TFN's continuity master of the time.
  13. Eyrezer Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow, it's like information overload! Intensly chocka with references, tie-ins and links. Very impressive guys.

Love the Kyle/Shira/Corwin/Erling team up! Didn't realise the reference though. Like someone suggested, a source listing would be great later on, when ppl have picked over it.

Interesting little adventure seed. Almost fanboyish! Vong Jedi? I am undecided.
  14. Jort Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I am amazed. There was simply so much good and interesting stuff in it I won't comment on it or this post would be too long. Can't wait for the other parts! :D

"a facet of the Jedi Concordance of Fealty little practiced since the Cleansing of the Nine Houses"

These things are new to me. Can someone explain them to me? :confused:
  15. Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, RPF and SWC

Manager
    star 8
    I thought the Drinba mission had been retconned so all the Jedi on the second Death Star died and Drinba IV was blown up...so to keep the DS II secret?

Cloak of the Sith...ooooh. Finally someones gone after the Sith.
  16. burrie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    All right, now this is just beyond awesome. Some bloody new information about Kyle Katarn, and finally some more information as to what he has been up to. I'm very surprised that Jan just might've commisioned Alpha Red, but somehow, it does seem a bit in-character for her. She'd practically do anything to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong.

Still, none of the information from the Kyle/Jan Tales Storyline is in there, is it?

And of course, there are these two little gems...

While in Imperial Remnant space, Kyle heard a rumor that the Sith had possibly survived all these years after Endor. Due to his personal experience with mysterious Sith magic on Drommund Kaas, Kyle took it upon himself to investigate after the invasion, following clues from Ord Sedra in the Clacis Sector to Yaga Minor, and finally striking out into the region known as the Cloak of the Sith. There's been no word from Kyle for some time, and it's feared that he's succumbed to the same fate as the Jedi Daye Azur-Jamin, who inexplicably disappeared during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

More recently, [Jan Ors] has spent every spare moment working with Kyle's one-time Jedi apprentice Jaden Korr, zealously searching for any leads to Kyle's whereabouts.

Either this is a little nod to the upcoming novels... or could this be a storyline for a next Dark Forces game? I'd actually rather like a game where you'd be able to play as both a player-created Jaden Korr and Kyle Katarn, kinda like how I'm still hoping to see a Revan/Exile game at some point.

Anyways, bloody awesome article.

EDIT: 'oi, and I never realised that there were two more biographies underneath those two. Rather nice. Just who is Halagad Ventor? The name sounds vaguely familiar. And it seems that it's official that Qu Rahn's death happened post-ROTJ, seeing as how the spirit of Anakin Skywalker appeared in front of him. Neat touch.
  17. CeiranHarmony Jedi Master

star 5
    wooohooo ABEL you did it again, you rock!

all those neat references and connections and mentions and everything you tied together, added in favor of nice chars who just have too less screentime in EU.

Before I start discussing the article in detail, I have an offtopic question for you Abel:

My girlfriend likes your articles very much, she even called you "Mandalorian God" after the Mandalorian article, and she asked me if I could ask you about a little favor...
    We both have an original rpg that is only very little tied to Star Wars. If you could mention a chaacter, planet or name of it in one of your next articles? that might be great. but I would understand, if not. If you think this is ok, then I will post or PM you some more details about this. in short: its more fantasy like about an ancient race (looking like human angels with the ability to morph into dragon shape), that lives remote and hidden from the rest of the galaxy, but has ties to certain known people and species here and there. It doesn´t change star wars or influence its history a lot, so no harm done if included, I believe.

ps: another question: Is anything planned about the Anzati? I really miss them, besides Dannik Jerriko and the Clone Wars Anzati issues there is still too few material about those superb beings. an article would be nice, if you are interested^^
  18. JoinTheSchwarz JC Head Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    who is Halagad Ventor?

Halagad is a WEG character, from the classic adventure Domain of Evil. He's an annoying braggart who's captured by Darth Vader and interrogated during the Jedi Purge. Halagad, traumatized, flees to an Outer Rim world and succumbs to the Dark Side.
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    O M G.

That was awesome...now if only that Sith stuff was actually going to show up in the new novels.

Though I find it unlikely Kyle would be captured, he far too awesome for that :)
  20. Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master

star 4
    Kriff me twice, this stuff is good. [face_hypnotized]
  21. Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21

VIP
    star 4
    So, that's what he was doing on Ord Sedra and why he was meeting with the Imperial leadership when diverted there . . .

I knew someone would write up some backstory for those lines. ;)

Kudos, Jason and Abel. I don't feel like my own tale is quite so disjointed from the rest of Kyle's saga now.
  22. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
    haha look at what i found..what are the chances..i never come to this forum lol!
  23. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Who was Jan Strange? I lost my copy of CRO

and sweet...

I *KNEW* Mara/Kyle was cannon!
  24. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    From Cracken's Rebel Operatives:

"Captain Jan Strange

Operative Role:Imperial Intelligence agent
    Current Location: Classified
    Species: Human Sex: Female Age: 24

Captain Stranges is almost a legend in the Rebellion, even though she has never worn an Alliance uniform. Though she bears the rank and status of an Alliance officer, she hase never had a command, nor is she likely to. She has a Nebbula for Bravery awaiting her if she ever does finish with her current assignment.

Jan Strange maintains the very difficult balance of feeding important information to the Alliance while fulfilling her cover assignment as an Imperial Intelligence officer. No one is quite sure where she came from; she did not graduate from the Imperial Academy, and she was not involved with COMPNOR prior to her assignment in Imperial Intelligence. Some speculate that she is the daughter of a highly-placed Imperial official.

She is valued by her Imperial Surveillance section superiors for her ability to target the right subjects for observation. The true "magic" of what she does is that she arranges to have this "subject" planted by the Alliance. The "subject," an Alliance operative, acts in a manner previously arranged by Captain Strange and Alliance Intelligence agents, giving her ample material to report. She will then "capture and interrogate" the agent, and then pass on the "intelligence" she gathered to her superiors: in reality, the agent is set free after a "termination during interrogation" is faked. This role provides her the cover she needs to perform her various activities for the Alliance's benefit, which include counter-intelligence, sabotage, and covert extractions. Unfortunately, she has sometimes had to act against the Alliance by sacrificing clumsy or careless agents in order to maintain her Imperial Intelligence cover. Captain Strange is often deployed deep within the Core Worlds, where corruption is everywhere.

Addendum/Personal
    Cracken, Airen/General...
    I have been made privy to Jan Strange's latest assignment. While I cannot discussit here, let it be known that she is not expected to survive. If she succeeds in this latest endeavor, we could well find ourselves with a distinct advantage in the times to come. If she fails, she will be a sorely missed ally who will fade into the shadows, never to be seen again.
    "

:cool: Sounds like Jan all right. And the picture looks almost exactly like Jan Ors.

Kyle's mother was killed by a BT-16? Aren't those the Perimiter Defence droids that the B'omaar monks use as brain spiders?

Rahn spent the following decades looking obsessively for the so-called Valley of the Souls, but the place seemed as mythic as Millinar or the Lost City of the Jedi.

More GoDV references? [MrBurns]Excellent![/MrBurns] :p
  25. CeiranHarmony Jedi Master

star 5
    can somebody post the picture? thx for the transcript!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.