Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    ThrawnMcEwok: Umm, can I be kind of a geek for a moment? Now I doubt that many of you with, presumably, REAL lives to live, have invested equivalent amount of time in Street Fighter games and their relatively promiscuous storyline. But you may find this somewhat interesting.....

The main story revolves around a Japanese martial artist named Ryu, who is a practitioner of a very powerful form of martial arts called Ansatsuken - a variant of Shotokan karate. Ryu and his sparring partner, Ken Masters, were taught an honorable, non-lethal, toned down version of Ansatsuken by their sensei, Gouken.

Because originally, their style was used for killing.

Master Gouken, and his brother, Gouki, were taught the full version when they were pupils by the Grand Master Goutetsu. Over time, Gouken became disgruntled with the brutal methods of Ansatsuken and shunned the killing arts and formed his own dojo to teach a more honorable and non-lethal art.

Gouki, however, embraced the killing arts fully, and the murderous intent consumed him.....

"If he uses to much of the Force, it will start using him" -Annotated screenplays

Jedi and Sith anyone?
  2. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Well by which Streetfighter blatantly ripped off Star Wars, yes.

The Dark Hadoken CONSUMED HIM it did!
  3. Durnar Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Street Fighter had a plot?o_O
  4. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes. A Fairly in depth one for a fighting game too. Apparently you've only played one or two of the games...?
  5. Durnar Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Played through 1 + 2 on Amiga (rock on old school etc) and marvel vs capcom types. Cant say I ever really tried to follow a plot. Or wanted too after the captain cardboard movie.:D
  6. Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer

VIP
    star 4
    Street Fighter! Boy, that brings back some memories. My moment of glory was performing Guile's touch of death 5x in a row on that poor schmuck Zangief.

Ah, what a summer that was... :)

Best,
    Abel
  7. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Birdie.

That dude is like a f-n' Chinese Monsoon.

The Street Fighter movie...that movie only gets better with age. I used to just mildly like it as a guilty-pleasure flick, now for some reason, I ******g love it whenever it's on. I don't know about you folks, but I do know that with the possible exception of Shane Black, nobody is better at writing action films than Steven E. de Souza.

Ahh, Black. Lethal Weapon and Last Boy Scout are flawless, and Long Kiss Goodnight is probably one of the most misjudged action films of recent memory. I'll admit that scenes like Jackson being blasted through the air are a bit cartoonish, but it's too fun to ignore. Best lines in the movie:

"I'm saving myself for when I get raped."

"The kind that shreds!"

"I would have been here sooner, but I was thinking up that ham-on-rye line."

Plus a nice Brian Cox performance, to boot.

I also want a Metal Gear Solid film, with Edward Norton as Solid Snake.

And Mario Kart, starring Stephen Hawking.
  8. LijoT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I remember the ultra horrible Street Fighter movie with Van Damme (I don't think Ryu was even in it), and lost interest in Street Fighter ever since ;)
  9. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    All I remember is Chun Lee's fight with Vega and that for entirely different reasons than the fighting.
  10. Durnar Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Chun Li always had sepcial weapons. That seemed to get bigger and bigger every single game. I swear she must be giving herself black eyes doing her upside down spinning kick attack.;)
  11. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Oddly what I noticed most in that movie was the fact that Chun Lee wasn't just possessed of...ahem. They made her a muscular gal as well as attractive and feminine.

...which makes me wonder why I'm posting that noticing here.

;-)

Of course when I first saw it, oddly my thought was more

"Damn, Chun Lee could crush Cammy like a bug. She's like a pretty Zangrief."

But yes, the "not really as convoluted as you think it is" (the games, it changes from every medium it goes into) is basically...

There's this secret mutant like war going on between all the people in the world who can use spiritual energy. At the heart of this war is General Bisom (aka Balrog if you're Japanese since M. Bison actually is a pun on "Mike Tyson" they switched names for the American release) who is apparently every monstrous dictator whose been alive during the past without mentioning names. Opposing him is Rose who dies sadly in her final confrontation and ironically becomes host to his evil personality (Yes, in Streetfighter 2's climax you fight a girl).

The Streetfighter tournaments are actually Bison/Balrog's attempt to gather all the whacky spiritual energy folk together to crush them like insects or maybe recruit them. In the end, Ryu confronts him and defeats him, and he's sucker punched by Gouki who kills him. Ryu then fights Gouki presumably and all is right in the world.

As stated, its really not that complex. What is complex is remembering the 30+ individual stories of every fighter.
  12. hero_with_no_fear Jedi Youngling

so yeah how about that kyle katarn?
  13. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Wasn't that Blanka's real name?
  14. Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, RPF and SWC

Manager
    star 8
    KYLE KATARN!!!

That cool guy with a blue saber, beard, and should be married to Jan already :_|
  15. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Kyle's a playar.

Sarris, Jan, Mara....

Jan's sort of just his regular girl.

16. Xanakh Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Is it just me or was Balrog (the boxer) in SF2 on the SNES one of the easiest bosses of any fighting game ever? Had me thinking it would be a cruise to the finish until Vega tore me a couple of new ones.

Oh and thanks, Blithe. Seeing your avatar always reminds me that I haven't checked Penny Arcade for a couple of days. :)
  17. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Another favorite Shane Black Long Kiss Goodnight line I utterly blanked on:

"Mommy, am I gonna die?"

"Oh, no, baby, no. You're not going to die. They are. Cover your ears. Hey, should we get a dog?"

18. Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer

VIP
    star 4
    Let?s see if we can?t get this sucker back on track...

Pelranius wrote:
    ?Does that article suggest Tremayne survived somehow??

I would say so, at least through to the time of Crystal Star, more or less.

?Very interesting Jerec backstory, I liked the part about Blackhole coming into contact with him.?

My co-writer for the upcoming Insider piece, Enrique Guerrero, put it nicely when he said to me once that the whole darksider scene went underground after ROJ, with all the heavies waging a private dark Jedi war to be the next Emperor/Sith Master. Poetic, if not literally accurate.

AdmiralWesJason wrote:
    ?Vengeance II is likely a reference to the SWCCG card ISD Vengeance.?

Bulls-eye? along with the Vengeance in the TIE Fighter video game, which was suggested in Sariss?s entry.

Xanakh wrote:
    ?So can we now safely assume that the planet Hoth was indeed named after Lord Hoth??

Well, one way or another, it?s pretty clear the man and the planet were intended to be related.

?I love that little passage, by the way. I sure as hell want to see more on those other battles in the Light and Darkness War.?

You can me both, Xanakh. :)

Durnar wrote:
    ?Would they be those books where its all 'if you shoot the stormtroopers turn to page 12'? And it had this weird ass battle system where it plotted out where everyone was stood and stuff??

Sounds like it.

?If so, thats the coolest tie in ever, as Ive been hunting for those books again for years.?

Yes! :) I took me forever to get those books, too. Paid a hefty price for them too, at about $30 U.S.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Not only that- I think we can assume the remnants of civilization discovered on Hoth by scouts in the Illustrated SW Universe could be left over from the Light and Darkness War era.?

:D

hero_with_no_fear wrote:
    ?So does this mean that Darovit (Tomcat) killed Darth Banes apprentice Darth Zannah or she killed him??

We?ll leave it up in the air for now.

QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?Not considering he is a force-blind hermit with no lightsaber and missing one hand, and his cousin (not sister) Zannah?

Uuuuuggggghhhhhhhh?

Blew that one.

Take care,
    Abel
  19. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Now we just need to find out what happened to Elena Shelvey.

The picture in Fragments from the Rim implies she eventually becomes Corwin's student and it seems eventually leaves Imperial service
  20. Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer

VIP
    star 4
    QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?The ending of JvS clearly showed Tomcat, after having failed at being a Jedi or an Sith, had decided to become an ordinary man, a simple hermit.

He's not about to turn himself into some cyborged l33t warrior. It would completely invalidate the end of the story.?

Ha! While I don?t think Tomcat would turn himself into a Nyaxesque warrior, I do think there are some things to consider for argument sake. I?m not sure Tomcat so much decides to become just an ordinary man as to become an ordinary man *first*, before worrying about any of this overly dramatic Jedi and Sith mumbo-jumbo, which would mean very little to him after the war (literal and personal) he?d been through.

Secondly, becoming a simple hermit does not equate with a helpless hermit. Hand or not, Tomcat would put up a decent fight, especially on his own turf and free of judgment clouding guilt.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Anyhow, I'm sure Abel & Jason left it vague for a reason.?

To drive you crazy. :)

Leto II wrote:
    ?So, instead of "The War of Light and Dark," we can now also append "The Light and Darkness War" to the Bane conflict? (Do Veitch and Cam Kennedy know of this?)?

Who are they?

The names for the war are interchangeable.

Take care,
    Abel
  21. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7
  22. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    Abel: Who are they?

Well, my pet theory is that Tom Veitch is the pseudonym of his better-known brother Rick Veitch... and George Lucas. :p

The names for the war are interchangeable.

So does that mean that [link=http://www.hollywoodcomics.com/veitchl&dwar.html]The Light And Darkness War[/link] is actually the Great Sith War? o_O

- The Imperial Ewok
  23. benTantilles Jedi Master

star 3

aight, thanks. there's quite a wealth of information on that site. and even though i may not quite understand how the whole RPG system works, the stories given are pretty damn cool.
  24. Pelranius Jedi Master

star 5
    Some day, someone really needs to sort out all this various Sith Wars. (would the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War also count?)
  25. Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer

VIP
    star 4
    Leto II wrote:
    ?Oh, and called it like two or three years ago in here that Ameesa Darys was most likely either Jerec's apprentice, lover, or both. Damn, love being right. ?

Good call. As I wrote elsewhere, that was a last-minute call, too. I must?ve picked up on Leto?s brainwaves.

?Got a kick out of the Havet Storm connection from the Jedi Adventure Game Books...get obscure much, Abel? ?

That?s an understatement.

QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?I think that was merely a little slip on Abel's part, and officially, they are still three cousins...?

Indeed, they?re cousins, not siblings.

?Yup, it seems Hoth did a "planet-hopping" assault on the New Sith Empire, going from Hoth, Malrev Iv, Dromund Kaas and KO-ing Kaan on Ruusan.

All planets pre-existing in the EU, as well. Well done, Abel.?

Thanks QG.

Sturm Antilles wrote:
    ?So if there is a continuity issue with that, how could it be explained/fixed??

Telling WOTC to revise the text? Okay? just say they were ?like siblings? in some future text. A less attractive solution is to say they took some kind of blood brothers/siblings oath.

?Now, lemme get this straight...is it Rain = Darth Zannah??

Correct.

?There might be a possible continuity gaffe regarding the planet Hoth being named after Lord Hoth...

You see, back around 4,000 years BSW4, in the Tales of the Jedi audio drama, the Chadra-Fan criminal known as Gudb mentions something as being as cold as a Hoth ice-cube, or something to that effect...Hmmm...?

Those background comments are what are aptly referred to as ?wild lines,? the rough equivalent of a movie ad-lib. And the Tales of the Jedi audio drama has plenty, often tossing out names like Hoth and Dagobah in a well-intended but half-baked attempt at continuity, a la Glove of Darth Vader. I think some of the suggestions people have mentioned here for further explaining the obviously intended relationship between Hoth the planet and Hoth the man are pretty good.

Thrawn McEwok wrote:
    ?Abel: Jerec has a real Johnny Depp-esque quality.

*abruptly casts Banderas as Kyle*?

Once Upon A Time In A Galaxy Far, Far Away? :)

Take care,
    Abel
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.