main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm assuming that means superlaser components, not the DSII itself ;)

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if it's a reference to the Death Star Video Board Game, that story shows the DS2 being moved to Endor from somewhere else for completion.

>> Now if Lumiya's new apprentice is a Force-sensitive Vong girl (Dark Tahiri, I tell you!), we also know that she's lost an apprentice during or shortly before the NJO...<<

or that this Force-Vong chick was already in the galaxy as an agent ala Nom Anor when Lumiya acquired her as an apprentice to replace Jax.

That would actually work rather well, as basicly it mighjt be able to be tied into the events of CE2- basicly, in the wake of Jax's death, Lumiya discovers the Force-Vong Chick around the same time Nom Anor appears in CE2.

3. ThrawnTheInfallable

ThrawnTheInfallable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2003
    Why would Luke's grudgematch with Lumiya no longer be canon?

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Kreuzader, Quest: well, for the DS2, those fixes work, both individually or seperately...

Good thoughts on the Vong girl, too, Quest; only trouble is that Tahiri is the only Vong we know to have the Force...

Thrawn: well, to the best of my knowledge, they've been very careful to avoid mentioning the Luke/Shira stuff since the original marvel run..

- The Imperial Ewok

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    It would be great if the YV female was the one from the canceled Knightfall trilogy... :D

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>only trouble is that Tahiri is the only Vong we know to have the Force...<<

What about Onimi?

7. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Sorry, but could someone point me to information about Lumiya's "grudge match" with Luke? First time I've heard of it ...

8. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    It's from late in the Marvel series (1980's) - I don't remember the issue #, and there's nothing that would indicate it's being considered non-continuity; it was referenced in the NEGtC for instance.

9. BOOSTERERRANT

BOOSTERERRANT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2000
    luke would rock her now...espec if mara got hurt

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    There's Treymayne (no one's really certain if he actually died at Byss. Or that toad Pestage, for the matter)

And where did Miat Temm come from?

Personally, I think Jeng Droga is probably Lumiya's apprentice (assuming he doesn't find out about Lumiya's connection with Carnor Jax. Droga, IIRC, was very attached to ole Pruny)

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I have the feeling that the 4 bios we got are the whole article. Some time back Abel talked about 4 parts he send in, right? what if the 4 parts were 4 bios wizards combined into 2 posts? then the only thing missing are more miniatures Kyle missions.

12. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    That would suck i was hopeing for more.

13. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I doubt it. He mentioned some stuff on Desann and Jerec too, which we haven't seen yet.

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    There's more. Believe it's 5 RPG articles and 5 Minis articles total. That right, Abel?

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That works pretty well, as that explains the rebellion being so confident the DS2 was inoperative.

Are you sure Irek killed that Dark Jedi? I thought that Dark Jedi stabbed Irek through the brain and just disappeared.

16. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Could the rebels have believed that, perhaps, the weapon they were destroying was intended to be used aboard the Tarkin? When Shira was thought "dead" by the Rebels, they did not yet know of the Death Star II's existence.

17. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Yep, I think there's actually 6 rpg parts, so a little more bang for your buck. :)

18. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    6 parts? score

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The D'rinba mission is a reference to Ye Olde Death Star Video Boardgame. For those unfamilliar with the genre, the Interactive VCR Boardgame consisted of a video tape of prerecorded events, usually with a single villian, and a regular boardgame. You would watch the intro on TV, then play the boardgame. From time to time, the villian would pop back on the screen and make life difficult for you. I have the Star Trek version, filmed on the sets for Next Generation, which featured a Klingon commandeering the Enterprise-D in order to start a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

The Star Wars version is similar. You and your friends play as a team of Force-sensitive Rebels, attempting to infultrate the Death Star II. The second Death Star is being moved from its original construction site to Endor (this actually fits in very well with the Endor entry in The Illustrated Guide to the Star Wars Universe.) You and your team enter the station and cause all sorts of havoc.

Now, the game is notable because the on-screen villian is none other than Darth Vader, and he is actually played by Dave Prowse and James Earl Jones. Vader turns one of your own against the team. If you loose, and the video runs its course, Vader destroys D'rinba IV.

The game probably takes place shortly after the Battle of Bespin, giving the Death Star II a year of construction at Endor. Whether or not the team suceeded, they were all probably imprisoned in order to keep the Death Star a secret. Vader may have executed or turned to the Dark Side Shelvey or Tredway, while Kyle obviously would have escaped post-Endor. Shira, of course, could have been allowed to return to the Alliance. Presumably she worked behind the scenes to keep the rest of the Rebels ignorant of the mission. That would be my interpretation of events, anyway. Perhaps Jason or Abel could clear it up...?

TC

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    TalonCard: thanks! :D

I was wondering if they were swapping out the Luke/Shira arc for this story, myself, and reinserting the material preserved in the bowdlerized references in the old WEG article, etc., into the new context...

- The Imperial Ewok

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine Kyle succeeded actually and delayed the Death Star by some months.

22. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Knowing his prediliction for blowing things up, we can probably debate whether the missing sections of DSII in RoTJ were under construction or under repair ;)

23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    or they succeeded but the part they were chasing wasn´t for the DS2 like they thought but in fact for the DS3, seen in the Startours video^^ TC shall know what I mean.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Assumedly, the one Vader turns is Shira Brie. An easy way to explain why the Alliance didnt figure out the threat of the superlaser was because the Death Star II jammed transmissions from Drinba IV, or the ISD with it. The four Jedi were presumedly on Drinba by accident, and under the jamming field decided to plan an attack on the Death Star on a whim.

A little record faking from Shira, the capture of Kyle Katarn and the Jedi, and the interception and destruction of all Drinba rebels, and they'd have no idea the Death Star blew up Drinba...

What happened to the other two Jedi on the mission?

Good way to tie it all together, Talon.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vader couldn't have turned Shira, as she was already an Imperial agent at the time. And obviously it couldn't have been Kyle.

So it has to be one of the other characters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.