main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Maybe it was Shira, and the "Vader turning her" was just to keep her cover intact.

It certainly adds a new and very interesting "Kyle versus Shira" relationship, considering his relationship with Mara and the adventure seed about him trying to find the new Sith.

2. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Great article! I hope there's more! Also, you guys should turn your attention to other continuity snafus like the Mon Calamari/Quarren invovlement in the Clone Wars, the Aqualish social order, the Tarkin family tree, and the Organa-Alderaanian Ascendancy.

3. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Alternatively they could have been trying to disable the superlaser via the main computer core. Not destroying it but rendering it inoperative.

They were successful but then IG-88 swaps the computer core with his own replacement containing his consciousness. So the faulty piece sabotaged by the rebels is replaced with the faulty piece IG-88 made.

Was just thinking about this as I'm reading the Tale of IG-88 at the mo.

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks! We?re glad so many of you seem to have enjoyed the Dark Forces pieces thus far. Thanks to all who have expressed their like and enthusiasm for our work. Let?s get to chatting then. :)

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Holy frickin' YES! This is where all of the obscure mentions come in, in the RPG section! IG-72, the Moldy Crow, Mohc, the dreadnaught New Hope. Can it get any better??

We hope so, Rogue F! More to come soon.

?Thank you, Abel and Jason, thank you!?

;)

?I'm seeing a pattern here... of Droga in Abel's articles.?

Well, I wanted to put an end to Droga there finally. The intention was for Kyle to have put him down permanently when he went berserk after the Third Battle of Endor, i.e. capping ?Droga?s Destiny,? the Jeng Droga adventure seed from the Emperor?s Pawns article.

?a prototype IG97

Does this mean "Sandblasted" is canon? ?

There?s nothing particularly difficult about fitting that story into continuity, so I just wanted to give it a nod.

?From Cracken's Rebel Operatives. She even looks like Ors! GREAT retcon! ?

That one was somewhat inspired and I like it myself. I think it fits in well with the potentially ruthless character William C. Dietz drew of Jan in his Dark Forces novellas.

?There is a dangerous Force-strong Yuuzhan Vong loose in the galaxy, and judging from her powers, it is clear that she has a master . . .

Lumiya? Sweet!?

[face_whistling]

?at the location betrayed by the Jedi Halagad Ventor to Darth Vader

Oh no, Abel's gone over to the Dark Side! ?

[face_devil]

?So the Crow is a CEC ship. Why didn't you relate it to the "Millennium Hawks" in that one Devilworlds story Abel??

While Rich Handley and I referenced the Millennium Engineering Corporation from the ?Flight of the Falcon? Devilworlds story in our Droids article for Polyhedron, that particular comic still has enough problems to make me think twice about casually referencing it. Guess I chickened out on that one. :p

TalonCard wrote:
    ?I *love* the mission to sabotage the Death Star II reference! I've been afraid for years that the video board game would fall by the wayside.?

Me too, which is why I?ve been looking for a good opportunity to refer to it. With the Force-sensitives element from the game, this seemed like the perfect fit.

?A question about Halagad, though. The last we heard of him, he was just a Jedi Padawan presumed dead on the same world the Rebels find him on later. How was he able to betray the Jedi post ROTS??

The backstory I used for Halagad?s part in Qu Rahn?s bio is taken from his initial appearance in the rpg scenario Domain of Evil. Obviously, the HoloNet reports of his death were exaggerated.

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?So does the mean Dash and Guri are rolling around the galaxy together??

At least for a short time after the events of Shadows of the Empire: Evolution. The post-Return of the Jedi Marvel comics happen in a fairly short amount of time after Episode VI and that?s when any kind of infiltration of the Tof on Saijo must have occurred.

?I don't see any note of Kyle being the reincarnation of some ancient Jedi Master anywhere.?

That?s true. Technically, that Kyle is actually some sort of avatar of a soldier from the Battle of Ruusan dream/flashback sequence of the novella Jedi Knight is a slightly problematic interpretation, as he is in turn a Jedi soldier and then a Sith one. But really, the main reason this wasn?t mentioned is that there just wasn?t any more room to reasonably cram any more info into.

Eyrezer wrote:
    ?Wow, it's like information overload!?

My point exactly. :)

?Like someone suggested, a source listing would be great later on, when ppl have picked over it.?

I?ll do my best to work one up later on. Could get hairy, though.

?Interesting little adventure seed. Almost fanboyish! Vong Jedi? I am undecided.?

As am I. Love them or hate them, the Yuuzhan Vong are an interesting concept and a strikingly unique aspect of Star Wars. I think for the NJO to have any kind of meaningful significance be

5. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    That?s true. Technically, that Kyle is actually some sort of avatar of a soldier from the Battle of Ruusan dream/flashback sequence of the novella Jedi Knight is a slightly problematic interpretation, as he is in turn a Jedi soldier and then a Sith one. But really, the main reason this wasn?t mentioned is that there just wasn?t any more room to reasonably cram any more info into.

An avatar of both the Sith and Jedi who fell at Rusaan? Aswesome! That might explain how he is able to draw a bit on the Dark Side without falling...

6. diablos666

diablos666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2004
    And a mention of Callista? Maybe SHE's the force sensitive Vong's master? :D

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    oh my god... Lymia, Callista and a Vong... all on the dark side... hehe... now that sounds like fun. I´d like to see Luke and Maras faces when they hear that two of Lukes exgirlfriends joined forces plotting together against them *fg* lol

Abel, you rock!

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    diablos666 wrote:
    "And a mention of Callista? Maybe SHE's the force sensitive Vong's master?"

Well, really what I meant was that Callista also lost her power to access the Force similar to the Vong, and she was only able to use the Dark Side. Hence, it would make sense that the first Vong Force-user we hear of would be a dark sider.

Best,
    Abel

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Third Battle of Endor?

I can think of the Battle in ROTJ and the invasion by the Nagai, but the other?

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Good catch Sinrebirth. I meant Third Battle of Yavin. :)

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    already read/thought about my question(s) Abel? especially the one about my girlfriends rpg. I think I posted it some time ago in the Droid articles topic.

12. Dark_Guardian

Dark_Guardian Jedi Master star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    "Third Battle of Yavin"

Which battle is it exactly. We had a numerous battles:

1. Battle: First Sith War. Exar Kun vs. Jedi (~4000 BBY)
    2. Battle: GCW. Rebels vs. Death Star and a long imperial siege. (~0-1 [A]BY)
    3. Battle: GCW. Daala vs. Jedi. No Darksiders, IIRC (except Callista... ;) )
    4. Battle: GCW. Fyyar, Desann and the reborn-darksiders vs. Jedi (14 ABY)
    5. Battle: GCW(?). Brakiss and shadow academy vs. Jedi (23 ABY)
    6. Battle: GGI. Yuuzhan Vong vs. Anakin and Talon Karrde (26 ABY)

From what I read in the CUSWE, it was the 5. Battle...

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Well its the third (though not really, considering the one in Jedi Outcast) after THE Battle of Yavin in ANH: the Shadow Academy one. Droga thinks his master has returned, but once he arrives at Yavin he discovers the illusion. He goes into a beserk rage, and Kyle finally bests him.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    presumdely there was a 7th battle of Yavin when the GFFA took back the systems.

I'd never heard about that Kyle, Droga subplot. Was Kyle on Yavin for the battle?

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, thats because it was first mentioned in this article. ;) No other source places him there, it just makes sense that he'd be there, seeing as he's a teacher at the Temple. A good placement IMO and a good end to the saga of Droga, the Emperor's most loyal Hand.

16. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I wonder if we'll get any comments on a possible teaching rift between Luke and Kyle in upcoming articles? After all, Kyle does say in Jedi Academy that "Powers aren't inherently good or evil - its how you use them...."

It definately adds to the fact that he still holds some taint from his brushes with the Sith and Jerec....

[face_mischief]

Yet then again, Kyle and Luke scold you when you begin to invest largely in Dark Side powers more so than Light Side ones. :confused:

I hope the upcoming articles give us some hints as to what his beliefs are concerning the Force; either the new post-modernistic morally relative stuff (No Light or Dark, only the user's intent) or the traditional view (Light and Dark energies)?

-Blithe

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    his saying is no taint. why does everybody picture everything black and white? it is a rainbow full of colours! like Traitor, The Unifying Force and other sources stated. the Jedi view of black/white was only a part of it and wrong. the Potentium Heresy was right.
    Kyle is like the corellian Jedi, and Vergere, having learned that the Force is unified, not separated into sides.

and GL himself told this in interviews often, even including it into episode 3 somehow. this is no spoiler and known since TPM, he said it on the DVD.

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually the Unifying Force clarifies the potenium hersey was idiotic beyond belief.

Luke

"The Dark Side is EVIL Jacen. Evil plain and simple from the 8th dimension!"

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    that´s only what you fanboys want to believe.

the truth is what GL tells, and he always wanted the potentium view.. the wrong of the jedi was what doomed them. and epi3 clarifies it, I won´t post the spoilers from script, novel, comic etc.

Luke didn´t believe Jace because he wasn´t ready, didn´t want to understand. thoug, as we see with Jacen, it worked, the potentium view is right

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    In the end Sekot herself understood that the Potentium theory was naff. There is evil in the world. fact.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    sekot didn´t understand it, sekot did understand that there is no evil, but that the galaxy like you fans are not ready yet to understand the potentium and thus, let them learn it their own way, restoring the full natural abilities to everybody.

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It's a dark night full of stars?

Campfires on Dantooine?

-TMcE

23. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I imagine we'll be getting the next two parts sometime today. Looking forward to them.

24. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    the truth is what GL tells, and he always wanted the potentium view.. the wrong of the jedi was what doomed them. and epi3 clarifies it, I won´t post the spoilers from script, novel, comic etc.

You're right that the truth is what GL tells, but the rest, I'm afraid, is completely wrong...In fact the truth is the exact opposite..

Ep-3 actually goes along with what GL himself has personally said many, many times before...And no it doesn't contradict what he says or say the potentium theory is right..GL has given clear answers, and Ep-3 simply goes along with the ride.

Luke didn´t believe Jace because he wasn´t ready, didn´t want to understand. thoug, as we see with Jacen, it worked, the potentium view is right

Wrong. Luke was right. Jacen was completely wrong. No it didn't work..Jacen was used by the force in a never again possible feat, and there're speculations on which part of the force used him...

Potentim view is

1. Idiotic.
    2. Wrong.
    3. Contradicts GL and the movies.

George Lucas - the highest source in Star Wars -

"The film is ultimately about the dark side and the light side, and those sides are designed around compassion and greed. The issue of greed, of getting things and owning things and having things and not being able to let go of things, is the opposite of compassion?of not thinking of yourself all the time. These are the two sides?the good force and the bad force. They're the simplest parts of a complex cosmic construction."

"We're cementing his determination to become the most powerful Jedi. The only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark Side because the Dark Side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side which is the Dark Side, but ultimately it would be your undoing."

"The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy"

"The idea of a positive and a negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film."

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil?everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

The truth is what GL tells (which is also the rule followed by everything in the EU), and he has said the truth so clearly many times..and he clearly explained that - the force has a dark and a light side - the good and the evil side.

Ep-3 follows it perfectly, and don't forget Ep - 4, 5 and 6 which is the continuation, where Yoda and Obi-Wan stresses so much about the dark side of the force to make Luke understand the danger...And countless things in the EU showing that real danger...For the 25+ years since Star Wars was made, the dark side and the light side of the force was, and still is a key part in the whole story, and the clear explanations from the creator himself is in addition to that.

The force is one. It has the dark and the light side - good and the evil side. It's extremely similar to the Tao from the Taoist/Buddhist/Zen philosophy - the Tao is the principle of the universe, one made up by the Yin and the Yang - the opposites. It has absolutely nothing to do with any potentium. The potentium heresy is just that - a delusional and wrong idea followed by a few, who were just wrong.

If you say otherwise, if you say the potentium theory or anything else is right, what you're doing is directly contradicting the highest source in Star Wars - the creator himself, and that's impossible to do in Star Wars.

Ignoring the existence of the dark side of the force is the easiest path for one to be seduced and twisted

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The duality is right/wrong; the Potentium merely emphasises 'doing right' over dualist terminology...

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.