main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    star wars doesn't really do incest, it just hints at it... *remembers leia/luke moments*

2. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I guess I'll say I'm confused why "destiny" being used to describe the ongoing dynamic between these two characters means they can't possibly be related when this is a thing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i think it's more that it's caught in a polarized debate between those who say it can only mean they are related and those who don't.

4. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I guess it's a matter of context and perspective. You really see no difference between Vader and Kylo?

Vader, who was much older than Luke, disfigured by his injuries and reliant on his mask for survival, vs. Kylo, who is young and "looks like a prince" (per the director's commentary)?

5. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Destiny turns on someone's age and looks? And being unrelated? What am I missing here? And Kylo don't look like a prince no more. I imagine he will keep looking worse for wear as well.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    There are two issues here:

1. Discussing Reylo in all but name is still discussing Reylo. This needs to stop.
    2. There's a "true fan" implication here and also an element of misogyny. This also needs to stop.

Baiting Reyloers is not OK.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I see a difference between Vader and Kylo and there should be a difference between them, but Kylo being young and supposedly "looking like a prince" does not and should not have any bearing on his fate. That would be the equivalent of saying that it is acceptable for a person's appearance to determine the direction of his or her life.

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It's funny, David Brin's rant in 1999 in Salon, which I thought was baseless at the time, levels charges at Star Wars such as the following:
    • good characters are photogenic; bad characters are ugly;
    • genetic bloodlines determine a right to rule.
    And yet here I am in 2017 and I keep bumping into these ideas from fans. It's depressing.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember hearing a LOT of complaints about Anakin in the PT days indicating that he would have no fans at all if Hayden Christensen were ugly.

Part of the reason I changed my user name in 2011 is because I did NOT want to be associated with people who had crushes on Hayden Christensen and would not be "Anakin fans" without him, given that I had been extremely curious about Anakin's back story since I was in sixth grade...in 1983.

I would be extremely disappointed if the writers wrote a different fate for Kylo Ren because of Adam Driver than they would write for an old and ugly actor. Or if they have such a low opinion of the audience that they would expect, and encourage, us to view Kylo Ren differently than an ugly disfigured character due to Adam Driver's looks.

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Ah... Not hard to guess who pressed the report button...

I formaly express my disagreement with this answer. I do accept your authority as a moderator, so no problem accepting the rules.

I believe it would be better if the mod team clarified what is discussing Reylo and what isn't. There are active Reylos here who constantly discuss the topic in everything but name. I feel like that is allowed but answer them is not. Which doest feel correct or fair.

11. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I must have expressed myself badly and for that I apologize. I wasn't intending by any means to suggest that a disfigured character deserves a worse fate than a non-disfigured one. I was merely attempting to point out differences in the two provided examples of hero/villain dynamics. I simply don't view Vader/Luke and Kylo/Rey as being equivalent and I suppose I should leave it at that.

12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think Star Wars has a consistent message: assumptions based on appearance can be faulty. The funny old imp is a Jedi Master. The fearsome cyborg was once a good man.

The "prince" angle strikes me as being about the fact that Rey calls him a monster and yet... he's actually a person. It's again a subversion of the expectation that he'd be some grotesque figure. There's really no more to it than that, IMHO.

13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    although i don't have the commentary i read some of it online, i think What Girl may be referencing the larger fairy tale motif that JJA mentions in the commentary starting with how rey is like cinderella sleeping beauty when drawn to the lightsaber, and later in the interrogation scene is when the prince mention was there (after kylo takes off the helmet).
    so i don't think it's about kylo ren being young or looking a certain way (though that is part of the fairy tale motif), but about the use of the fairy tale motif in general. which i realize we can't speculate on fully, but also, i just wanted to post this because i don't thinks it's simply "but he looks like a prince" or about reducing to age/looks.

also, i think that it's important to note that there are times kylo ren looks very ugly, like when he is snarling... there are a lot of very ugly expressions. and i don't think reducing people's interest in the character to physical appearance is fair in the slightest. i won't go into discussing AD's looks as i always disgust myself when i try to mention things about any actor's/actress'es looks.

ps. my fav character was always darth vader... and i saw the OT before the PT... and i originally didn't buy anakin as darth vader at all as the PT was "off" to me for a long time. i still can only really relate to anakin as a character by deliberately tying him to darth vader by way of rationalization.

14. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    A mod can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand...

Discussing Reylo = 'Reylo shippers aren't true SW fans! They're only into SW because they find Adam Driver hawt!'/'Rey and Kylo need to kiss and make babies!'
    Not discussing Reylo = 'As per the Star Wars Databank, Rey and Kylo have a mysterious connection/Kylo believes their destinies are intertwined. What could this all mean!?'

If you didn't allow discussion of the latter, you'd basically have to outlaw discussion of any level concerning the interactions between Kylo and Rey. It would be unenforceable.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Yep. And the evolution of Rey's perception of Kylo is important here - she initially refers to him with disgust as a scary, masked figure. He removes the mask, presumably to disarm her somewhat - he noticeably changes attitude to a creepy, more intimate way of talking to her. He clearly thinks he's shown himself as more human, initially (and before she repels his mental attack)
    And then later, after his actions, she calls him a monster, because of what he's done, not because of the scary mask he wears.

oncafar likes this.
  16. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

If you are accusing me, at least have the decency to mention me by name instead of this passive aggressive subposting.

And for the record it was not. I did not report you. So KNOCK IT OFF.

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Absolutely right. And I got it wrong--he's not a "creature" in a mask, but it turns out he is a "monster".

Birkendoc and CEB like this.
  18. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

And honestly, that was the bigger insult to him and hit home more. Creature in a mask, is tame. She pointed out the monster that lived beneath it. One is a caricature based on appearances (mask = scary). She declared him a monster by what he did on the bridge.

But then again, I suspect this is not a revelation to him. I suspect he views himself as a monster as well.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Just a quick question, if a particular poster(s) keep on posting on one aspect of this thread. Meaning singularly Adam Driver / Kylo, then surely they are posting in the wrong thread and are spamming this one. Because it does border on a biased conversation a majority of the time. Like I said I'm just qualifying a question on something that seems to be ignored and continually exasperated.

You mods do good work on here I just don't want this place turning into SWNN with posters who are basically tag team bullies and have postings full of toilet language and other vulgerness. [face_peace]

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As far as the "ReyLo Legalities" goes...

An infinitely larger problem than the topic itself is the recent... and rampant... mini-modding by people who find it their right to provoke fans of any sort of potential Rey/Ben relationship with references to the "Topic That Cannot Be DiscussedTM" or any variants. Anyone who was here knows that the initial issues with that topic came from a situation which was far more problematic than fans speculating about a fictional relationship and stemmed, rather, from backlash against the staff asking a handful of users to utilize discussion threads in this forum in their proper manner and to post fan-related materials and non-film discussion in appropriate threads in a different forum. For the sake of discussion threads being accessible as... wait for it... discussion threads. Our request resulted in ridiculously vitriolic private messages, troll sprees, protest posts in completely unrelated threads, etc.

Here is the reality: Rey and Ben Solo happen to exist in the same films. They more than likely share screen time together in future installments. Speculating about various outcomes of their dynamic is going to be a natural result of the very topics we discuss in this forum. We have many fans of the potential "ReyLo" dynamic who are active, valued contributors to our forums. Discussions about whether Ben Solo might be redeemed, and Rey's possible role in this, is a far, far cry from spam rants about how you are all blind fools if you do not see the little hearts that the filmmakers cgi'ed into Ben's eyes during the lightsaber duel or how there is no possible alternative viewpoint to the 50 Shades of Rey scene than that she is clearly falling for the guy who knocked her out, strapped her down and is boasting about how he can take whatever he wants from her. We are very much removed from the season when "ReyLo" was any sort of actual problem being caused on here.

Which means we are far removed from requiring members of our community to hold minor McCarthy Hearings in our discussion threads every time the topic is so much as ambiguously skimmed.

Get along or move along.

The End.

Not the End:
    Correct.

The End.

Valairy Scot, unicorn, EHT and 9 others like this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Hey, you forgot the TM there, I believe I introduced the term here.

Seriously, got the message.

22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So uh.....to get back on topic.

Do you guys think Daisy and Adam will do interviews together during the rounds for TLJ?

23. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

I suspect it will be the ensemble that makes the rounds on the talk shows in the US and UK like they did during TFA. The group interview on Kimmel was awesome last time around.

nonesuch and Dark Horse like this.
  24. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

So... has this been changed?

I just that I think TLJ is going to come along, recent speculation has cleared that Finn and Rey don't have any romantic connection, that Rey is not a Skywalker (although I know there are some here who still debate it), and that Rey and Kylo have a special connection and you know, the attitude of the mods and managers here was basically: "Reylo belongs to a Fanclub because nothing in TFA supports it."

Please stick to it, so that when TLJ and Episode IX come along everyone knows what this boards represented and supported.

25. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Could there maybe more singular interviews this time around? To be fair I thought it could be Daisy & Mark sometimes Adam, John & Kelly sometimes Oscar with Gwen, Dom and Adam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.