main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Because Driver isn't the type to do a film just for finance.

Knessa84 , What Girl and Birkendoc like this.
  2. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

It's no guarantee Daisy or anyone else would want to film after a trilogy. Some actors like Mark Hamill love to remain with a character life-long. Others are ready to try different projects and not get typecast as one specific type of character.

Knessa84 and cerealbox like this.
  3. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    TheReal_Rebel Doesn't matter. LF has the rights to the character. If the actor can't or won't continue, but LF has further plans with the character, they'll recast him. Simple. Some hope while others fear that, if actor is unavailable, that automatically spells doom for the character. Not true at all.

Likewise, an actor could be available and want to continue but if they don't need the character, bad luck.

cerealbox likes this.
  4. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015

5. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    Hon, I work in this business. You're not telling me anything I don't know.

6. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Oh, BTW, all actors take some roles for money. Having kids changes perspective on that and also what kind of projects they want to make. Example, Johnny Depp. When he was young up and comer, he was so pretty he put all current pretty boys to shame. And he hated it and didn't want to play that card, but chose offbeat projects that had small boxoffice prospect and where he was deglam and stuff. But once he had children, he wanted them to be able to see and enjoy his movies, so he started to choose commercial family movies. And money would put them through college too.

Point is, we don't know how SW actors feel about SW gig now, let alone how some of them feel about SW with a baby in the house.

TheReal_Rebel I'm not trying to. Sorry if it came off that way. Most people around here know how the system works, but some still can't help but hope or fear that unavailable actor = end of the character.

7. jdTde33

jdTde33 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2016
    If Kylo is gonna be in future movies after this trilogy, I really hope Adam would stay. I can't really see anyone else playing the character at this point, nor would I want to. Adam is perfect for the role.

Reylo4life likes this.
  8. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

Agreed and that's definitely ideal scenario.

jdTde33 likes this.
  9. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

Dear A Chorus of Disapproval, thank you for putting DISNEY SONG COOTIES IN MY HEAD.

As a token of my appreciation, please kindly accept this I DREAM OF JEANNIE one in return

you're welcome.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I Dream of Jeannie is a palette cleanser. I had actually been humming the dope theme music from Sanford & Son.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

Actually, he's fairly selective about selling his soul. When it comes to his non-profit Arts in the Armed Forces, he has turned down corporate sponsorship so that he isn't a secondary shill for that company. Driver has a moral compass. I highly doubt he'd ever get involved with something just for a paycheck.

12. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

my office mate already does that song on a regular base. Up your A game, man.

That said, the Odd Couple has a catchy tune.

13. LexBluthor

LexBluthor Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2016
    A recent re-read of Animal Farm this semester got me thinking of the Orwellian stuff incorporated into the recent post-RotJ novels. Manipulating history/images and use of propaganda to suit the games of the persons in power, etc. Was wondering if these sort of ideas might continue in TLJ with Kylo presenting a starkly different version of history (one he had likely been told by Snoke) to Rey, a total newcomer to the ways of the Force, on Ahch-To in an attempt to lure her to his side. Thoughts?

14. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    my thoughts are that i really don't see how that could confuse rey because she already has her own opinion. she might be all wide-eyed as han tells her things, but she's no fool. and finn isn't either. part of the reason they see eye-to-eye so well.

so perhaps as kylo watches a reasonable person respond reasonably to his unreasonableness, he'll start to understand that he's a bit off his rocker?

15. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    #fanfic post (but part of this involves things that could potentially actually happen):

i thought of a good ending for episode ix that involves a lot of characters, but im gonna post it itt because kylo's unrequited affection for rey plays a huge part in it.

instead of a one on one duel to end the saga like we did in the pt/ot, i'm imagining a big shoot out turned lightsaber battle involving rey and finn (and maybe more) going up against snoke and the knights of ren all at once on top of a tower in the middle of an occupied city, while a vicious aerial battle goes on around them.

rey and finn confront kylo once again, and finn and kylo (their first confrontation since tfa) have an aggressive back and forth. the two briefly rematch, but it ends undecisively as everyone is now fighting each other. rey ends up fighting the remaining knights of ren on her own, and eventually kylo kylo joins them, and finn can't help because they are now physically divided. snoke watches on. finn notices, and decides to confront him.

snoke meets the traitor for the first time, disgusted that it is not the jedi who are his greatest threat, but a lowly stormtrooper. the action dies down for a bit. snoke does some disturbing shapeshifting thing that heals his skin and increases his power. snoke forces finn to watch as rey struggles to fight kylo and the knights, and remembering the infiltration, mocks finn and refers to him as a first order officer. he then tortures finn using the darkside of the force.

during all the chaos, rey manages to cut off kylo's hand, but she is distracted by the others. finn was able to cleverly set up a trap against snoke. kylo notices but chooses not to kill him. kylo gets what he always wanted; he has become just like vader. with one hand, he goes on a rampage combing the dark side and his affection for rey, and the two take out the remaining knights together. snoke notices and gets angry, but finn sets off the trap and kills snoke.

kylo and rey look at each other for a minute. rey ask him why he did it. we find out that he is only partially redeemed. his emotional state is just as confused as ever, but states his regret over killing han. rey says she cant just let him get away, but he slips from the scene, never to be seen again.

this is actually kind of dumb, underdeveloped, and inspired by playing the last guardian lol. but i think something like this is the most emotional and interesting way to end kylo's story. leave it completely unresolved. he's not fully redeemed and don't even kill him off (i think we're all expecting him to die). that leaves it open to our interpretation.

imagine if fisher was still alive and the last time we ever see of kylo is with him and leia. she looks at her badly injured son and says "i can't let you go" (double meaning), but he escapes and the audience never learns what happened to him.

16. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    From listening to a number of SW podcasts, there seems a general consensus that Kylo will either die or defeat Snoke and take his place.

If the latter is the case, I could see a situation in which any children Kylo has might rebel against him in another trilogy

Any thoughts?

17. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    At the present time, I'm just going to take Kylo at his word that he just wants to be "free of this pain." I don't think he is organized enough to revolt and rise up against Snoke. It's why he's stuck in this miserable little limbo. He was in pain even before he killed Han. He already felt he call from the light tugging at him before he met Rey. He was already in the midst of internal conflict which defines his character. He is the embodiment of bring born equal parts light and dark, but those two parts aren't in harmony or balance. That said, his role in the saga isn't to go all with dnd kill the master so he can rise. His story is about the struggle to find the balance which Snoke intentionally keeps off kilter. Kylo won't kill Snoke for power. He will help kill Snoke to find inner peace.

11-4D and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think Kylo is already free of his pain and finally destroyed his light side pull when killing his own father Han. So he is now free to go full evil sinister mode in TLJ. Maybe he will heavily injure Rey in this movie, with her more than losing a hand. ;)

19. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    TheReal_Rebel

Mike Zeroh? Collider Jedi Council?

NTIP definitely doesn't think so and they are all that matters cause they have some inside info. Also, it doesn't fit narratively. His role is to stop denying the truth that is his family (did not originate from the Dark Side) and be one of those who will bring the balance to the Force. Even Snoke sees the writing on the wall. :p

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't get why he doesn't have enough sense to realize that joining the Light Side would free him from pain, which is why I have a hard time buying the line about his just wanting to be free from pain. He is not going about that in a way that makes even a remote amount of rational sense.

As far as him injuring Rey, I don't know, because the past movies have not indicated that committing Dark Side acts (in this case, killing Han) made the Dark Sider stronger. More callous, maybe, but with TFA going out of its way to demonstrate how emotional Kylo is, I'm not sure TLJ will go the opposite direction.

La Calavera likes this.
  21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    But with Snoke's training, Kylo must now demonstrate that he became stronger with the dark side. So a good chance to show it against Rey, his main opponent. ;)

22. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    He is not free of his pain. He is actually even more conflicted and lost.

23. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I don't see this. He killed his father, so he just crossed the line as Snoke wanted and there is no return. ;)

24. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/kylo-ren

Kylo Ren had hoped to end the conflicts that caused him so such pain, but found he remained at war with himself, more lost than ever.

IncessantRamblings and oncafar like this.
  25. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    Apparently he wasn't free of pain on the lightside either, so his hope was probably he will be free if he chooses the dark side.
    He still has to learn to accept that both aspects define him, as a human being and even more so as a powerfull forceuser. If he starts to accept this he will begin feeling free of pain (mh, but then the full pain will hit him, when he realizes what he has done. Ah, it's difficult with him, maybe it's simply to late for him, just like he said.[face_dunno])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.